plastic toy colour fading

Reaction score
hello guys!

Just wondered if someone can soothe my worries here? I have a really valuable RARE plastic toy car from 1980-83 (?) It is a car from a very popular tv show that ran during 80's. It is really rare and you can't just replace it easily, not to mention the cost!! I have TWO questions I would love for someone knowledgeable to answer...

1. can the colour from plastic toy cars from 80s fade on its own WITHOUT being exposed to sunlight in any way??

2. I really love this car, and the right side of the car is somewhat faded compared to its left side. The car is bright red everywhere on the car except for the right side. Its just like someone left it on the shelf facing a window... But guys, the colour-faded right side of the car, is it due to sunlight or due to losing colour on its own without any sunlight???

regards Robert

Last edited:
Reaction score
Depending on the quality of the plastic, sure, color can fade due to indirect sunlight. Has it been the same color all the way around until now, or is it possible the color was always a little faded on one side and you never noticed before? As a toy I'm sure it's seen sunlight a time or two over the last 30 years.

It's hard to say without some detail as to how and where it's been stored and for how long.

What is the car of/from?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Its a red plastic car from magnum pi! A beauty... I bought it two months ago and noticed it one day. Have no idea at all where it has been before.

Last edited: