Pictures of the Collection - UPDATED ON 02.12.2020

Reaction score
New pictures - last set before we hopefully buy a bigger place: UPDATED ON 02.12.2020

------------------------------
I know it's a needle in a haystack, but if you can spot anything that you know of that I'm missing, please let me know! I'm looking for significant paint variations, and kit-bashes or sculpting changes that aren't there. I've started collecting Clone Wars but they're not getting worked into the shelves until I move and have some more space.

Thanks!
------------------------------

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: I finally took pictures of my collection...

As much as I utterly hate you wth every inch of my body... I have taken you off my ignore list beause I really wanted to see this.

Your collection is amazing, and you should be very proud of it. It is very nicely displayed, very professional looking, and completely diverse. There's a little bit of everything... loose, MOC, 12", modern, vinty, lego, unleashed, ff premiums, etc. Well done. I am truly impressed.

Very nice. Very, very nice!

Reaction score

Awesome collection!

We just came home from Lowes and were checking out shelves to display my much smaller collection. Your shelves look great, are they just the "standard" shelves at most hardware store. Also, I like how the figures are elevated behind the front figures. How did you do that or what did you use. Thanks, and that is a really great collection!

Reaction score

Holy ****! Dude that is so fricken sweet! I just LOVE your setups. But seriously, that is probably the best collection and setup I have ever seen.

The only thing I can say I dislike are all the stormies/clones lined up, in the same pose. I just find that a bit boring, but if it works for you then great! I like how you have the carded stuff towards the top.

That must be a pretty big room. Do you have any stuff on the floor?

Reaction score

Damn Rob.

It's very obvious that you have much more space in your room than I have.

Fantastic display, and so neatly organized.

Looks like Greedo dropped his drink though.

Great job. Looks awesome.

Ian

Reaction score

MisterKenobi said:
As much as I utterly hate you wth every inch of my body... I have taken you off my ignore list beause I really wanted to see this.

Your collection is amazing, and you should be very proud of it. It is very nicely displayed, very professional looking, and completely diverse. There's a little bit of everything... loose, MOC, 12", modern, vinty, lego, unleashed, ff premiums, etc. Well done. I am truly impressed.

Very nice. Very, very nice!
Thanks Matt, that's nice of you to say.

What are ff premiums?

Reaction score

MAn, I called my dad over and we just scrolled down in awe. My dad never knew about people buying so many of one figure. We just went down in awe. I was planning on taking pictures of my collection, and posting them here, because it needs a bit of updating, but looking at yours and Ian's. I don't know if anyone would pass a second glance at mine.

I guess I'm trying to say......SHWEET. (I realize I spelled sweet wrong, I pronounce it with an H)

Reaction score

StoneWallJackson said:
Awesome collection!

We just came home from Lowes and were checking out shelves to display my much smaller collection. Your shelves look great, are they just the "standard" shelves at most hardware store. Also, I like how the figures are elevated behind the front figures. How did you do that or what did you use. Thanks, and that is a really great collection!
Almost all of the shelves are from Home Depot - they're laminated rubbermaid shelves, 48" by 12".

This has been a big problem for me lately though, because they discontinued the solid black in favor of this woodgrain styled grayish color. Thankfully I have just enough for now. The long long shelves across the entire walls are just three of these - for a total of 12"

The unleashed are on 2' x 10" smaller shelves, same color and style - also discontinued.

They still make lots of these shelves - just not in the solid black anymore. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've probably spent around $500 on shelving between all the shelves and wall brackest and L-brackets. Those damn things add up quick!

As for the elevated look... wow. It started when I was 15, I used to use my mom's International Delight coffee tins. She'd save them, I'd paint them black and then stack them up bleacher style and stand figures on it.

Eventually the flow of those wasn't enough to keep up with the need - so nowadays I use LOTS of different stuff, (almost) all painted black and then I just assembled the stuff however I can to make it work. I've got CD cases, a few hundred VHS tapes (those work great), the little box-supports from the middle of the pizza that keep the box from dipping into the pizza... peanut butter and parmesean cheese lids... you name it. As long as it's a firm enough plastic that it doesn't move at all, it generally works. The episode III clones area for example, is tons of VHS tapes stacked up, with 2"x2" wood blocks (that are cut to the same length as the tapes, set on top of them to make extra 'stairs'. It's unavoidable sometimes, but I try not to have anyone standing directly behind anyone else at the same level.

I guess it's a bit of a process that I've evolved over the last 10 years or so. Even today I don't have quite enough stuff to really stack it all up and fill it all out the way I'd like - but one of my rules is to not pay for that stuff, because if I went shopping for blank VHS tapes and the like it would cost a fortune - it's pretty much all made out of found items that I've painted.

Reaction score

NuteGunray said:
That must be a pretty big room. Do you have any stuff on the floor?
Nothing on the floor, in part because I have dogs, in part because I'm an anal-retantive neat freak.

** I should add that this isn't quite everything... The Lego UCS Star Destroyer is boxed up for lack of a surface big enough to hold it, and there are pockets in the loose area (like in the Endor bunker) where there are piled up outdated versions of resculpted figures. There are a few more vehicles in the closet - as well as lots of stuff that if I had more room would be mixed into the loose figures, like the Millenium Falcon gunner stations, the jedi council stuff, crab droids, spider droids, speeder bikes, more dewbacks, a handful of playsets, and so on and so forth.

Reaction score

I dig the asteroids. I haven't seen that done before. Is there a thread about asteroids burried somewhere in the customs thread? I wouldn't mind getting a recipe for those.

Reaction score

[censored] you KBZ

Haha, jk man, AMAZING collection...not gonna lie, you made me come SO close to opening up all my figures so I could display them like yours...but not that close

If people are going to have a loose collection they really need to take a clinic of yours!

Reaction score

Rob most impressive display!! Pretty much what I like to see. A uniformity in display presentation, ie, the same kind of stand/shelf for everything in the same genre! A nice mixture of carded and loose figures, there's not just one single wall o' figures! And most importantly, the vintage is deserving of its own place!!

Impressive, most impressive!

Reaction score

Now for the big question: DO YOU PLAY WITH YOUR FIGURES?

Reaction score

Do you have every item produced? (in the 3-3/4" line, not including variants)

Reaction score

There's not enough troops!
(kidding, of course)
That is really one of the nicest dispalys of loose figures I have seen. My compliments on your set up.

Reaction score

Wow Zod! Fantastic display, VERY well done.

Another display I'd pay to see in person.

Your elevated system works beautifully and really cleans things up. Many times a shelf display with alot of figures just ends up looking like a big mess. This is absolutely NOT one of those cases. I'm glad I saw this before starting on my measly display, I think I may "borrow" a few ideas.

Very impressed with the fact that you don't use stands, I can see how the majority of the figures wouldn't have much of a problem standing on their own, but all those Battle Droids? What's your secret?

VERY Impressive display!

Reaction score

Amazing collection and display - very nice!

It is very tempting to become an opener after seeing it.
My wife wants to know how you manage to keep everything dusted.

Reaction score
Re: I Finally Took Pictures of My Collection

I've wanted to see your collection for years, so I'm glad you've finally posted pictures.

Those armies are incredible.

I was wondering how you did the riser thing. I'm not sure it will work for me (I'm building a room with white shelves) but I may need to see what I can find. Everyone is always talking about those Wal Mart spice racks I guess.

Very...VERY nice though.
Most impressive.

Reaction score

Very nice, KBZ.
Oddly enough, I'm doing the same thing with my room that's being built as far as the shelving goes. I have some standalone shelves, but one wall is going to be entirely made up of shelves attached to the wall.
Your display looks fantastic.

Reaction score

Nice indeed, but did your vintage A-Wing Pilot get lost in the troops somewhere?

Reaction score

Sweet Mother of Mary that is beautiful. That is quite an extensive collection. I love it! I really get a kick out of the asteroid scene you've made. Keep up the good work and Happy Hunting!

Reaction score

holy toledo! i love the display. i especially love your display presentation. keep up the good work.

Reaction score

What I wanna know is have you ever accidentally bumped
into a shelf.
I can just see lil stormies recreating
the domino effect all over. Anyways very nice collection.

Reaction score

Dang, you have more stuff in one picture than I have in my entire collection. Looks awesome.

Reaction score

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone!

I'm going to try to respond to all the questions that have been asked, so if you ask a question, check below for an answer:

yodarocks said:
I dig the asteroids. I haven't seen that done before. Is there a thread about asteroids burried somewhere in the customs thread? I wouldn't mind getting a recipe for those.
Those asteroids are from the OTC Millenium Falcon commercial. They built a fake bedroom where the kid was playing amongst all these asteroids... I worked on the shoot and afterwards convinced the guys who were taking apart the set to give them to my friend and me.

They're just styrofoam bricks broken apart and painted brown - they look good 12 feet in the air, but holding one in your hand you'd think they were the worst looking things you'd ever seen. I just like them because of where they came from - if I was making my own I'd do it a little differently probably.

Lady_Jaye said:
Rob most impressive display!! Pretty much what I like to see. A uniformity in display presentation, ie, the same kind of stand/shelf for everything in the same genre! A nice mixture of carded and loose figures, there's not just one single wall o' figures! And most importantly, the vintage is deserving of its own place!!

Impressive, most impressive!
Thanks LJ, I do pride myself on presentation... it's just how I am and it helps with my work I guess. Everything's got to have a space, and it's got to be organized and it's got to be uniform. And I definitely separate vintage from modern - the one exception being that there's a carded vintage Wicket with my VOTC stuff - but that's only because I haven't started collecting carded vintage yet - once I do they'll be separate as well - hopefully I'll be able to find space.

King_Kong said:
Now for the big question: DO YOU PLAY WITH YOUR FIGURES?
Other than taking them down and dusting the whole thing (once a year if I'm lucky) nope.

NuteGunray said:
Do you have every item produced? (in the 3-3/4" line, not including variants)
The general rule is that I buy two of every figure that comes on a card - one to open, plus more of army builders obviously. There are some gaps, that I try to fill in at later dates via shows and ebay, but for the most part, I have every sculpt loose. I also buy paint varients, but only when it turns the old figure into a new figure - like repaints of clones or new heads on soldiers - that kind of thing. I also am not quite as strict about vehicles - I have most of them, but not ALL of them. I also don't have room to double up on boxed items the way I do carded figures. Someday. As for varients, I don't get nutty about them, but if there's an error or a varient, I keep the more rare of the two when I can help it... I have all the long sabers, and the obi-wan headshots, and the brown vest jedi luke, open hand han... that kind of stuff - but I won't pay more for that type of thing.

Flacksguy said:
Very impressed with the fact that you don't use stands, I can see how the majority of the figures wouldn't have much of a problem standing on their own, but all those Battle Droids? What's your secret?

VERY Impressive display!

Thanks! There are a very small number of figures that use stands - but it's probably less than 10 out of all of those. I don't like them because it makes it harder to squeeze them together into smaller spaces. When I was younger I'd use sticky tack under feet for some figures - but I don't do that anymore either because it would leave oily stains on the bottoms of the feet. The battle droids, are leaning up against the plastic piece that makes the floor of the next tier behind them.

So that's the only trick, if they won't stand - lean them on something, but only slightly. It's kind of a funny thing though because every time I reset the shelves, over the course of a few weeks - we'll have a few jumpers. Ones that weren't balanced too well will just fall when the door closes or something like that. I set them up again, better, and eventually everthing becomes stable. It's no big deal if they're in the front rows, but if there's a jumper in the back row, it can be a mess to clean up once he knocks into all the ones below him. Also, that top shelf is probably 10 feet in the air, so sometimes lightsabers and stuff have been known to break in falls.

brewser said:
Amazing collection and display - very nice!

It is very tempting to become an opener after seeing it.
My wife wants to know how you manage to keep everything dusted.
I can't keep everything dusted. It's nearly impossible. I took the pictures now, because my girlfriend was out of town for a week and I spent about 16 hours spread over 4 days taking apart all those loose figure shelves and dusting everything and putting it all together. I try to do it once a year, but it had been about 15 months since I last dusted. When I was 16 and it was just four little shelves, it was no big deal - I'd do it once a month and it would take 2 or 3 hours... it's a whole other story now. Later this year I'm going to look into an air purifier for the room to hopefully reduce the dust - but it's definitely a big problem.

JoshEEE said:
I've wanted to see your collection for years, so I'm glad you've finally posted pictures.

Those armies are incredible.

I was wondering how you did the riser thing. I'm not sure it will work for me (I'm building a room with white shelves) but I may need to see what I can find. Everyone is always talking about those Wal Mart spice racks I guess.

Very...VERY nice though.
Most impressive.
Thanks Josh, a few of your old clones and troops are in there too.

I looked at the spice rack things - but didn't get them because a) the cost would add up very quickly and b) most of the ones I found have a rubber surface on them that I didn't think would be stable enough.

prufrock said:
Nice indeed, but did your vintage A-Wing Pilot get lost in the troops somewhere?
Nope, don't have one yet. I'm missing the following:

A-Wing pilot
Han in Carbonite
Artoo (SW)
Leia (SW)
Luke (SW)
Max Rebo Band
Yak Face
Luke Stormtrooper
Blue Snaggletooth

And I might not be shopping for a little while, but I'm pretty much always looking for a good deal on those last few.

DarthRavenger said:
What I wanna know is have you ever accidentally bumped
into a shelf.
I can just see lil stormies recreating
the domino effect all over. Anyways very nice collection.
It's not pretty. Thankfully, it's a rare event. I've learned to shut the bedroom door gently too.

Reaction score

Nice touch with the rock standins for the asteroid field.

Reaction score

yodarocks said:
One of the guys in the PSWCS had the celing in his basement painted to look like space and made asteroids out of insulation foam chunks painted brown. These look more like real rock but that foam made pretty good asteroids. It also worked for the walls on the Geonosis arena he made.

E...

Reaction score

Rob, by ff premiums, I meant Fast Food premiums, the BK toys and such.

Reaction score

This is the best collection I have ever seen.

Reaction score

One more question for you, since there isn't really a "full room perspective" shot.

How big is the room all of this is in?

Reaction score

Double post! Still, Awesome collection! GREEN WITH ENVY

Reaction score

CommanderRedd said:
Double post! Still, Awesome collection! GREEN WITH ENVY
We should call you commander green from now on.

GNT

Reaction score

Extremely impressive! It's ben awhile since I've seen a large loose collection. Wowzers it looks fantastic.

Since this is mainly modern items I've moved this thread to the "Hsbro: Limelighting & Display" section where others have displayed there stuff

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes, very impressive Zod. It's been a while since I've seen anything in comparison to your beautiful collection. Well done.

Reaction score

Awesome, Zod. I especially love those close-up commtech stormy pics. You are brave for standing those all up next to each other without the use of some kind of figure stands. If one stormy in the back row decides to take a dive, it could result in a disastrous domino effect!! Very nice collection.

Reaction score

MisterKenobi said:
Rob, by ff premiums, I meant Fast Food premiums, the BK toys and such.
Ah, I get it. I always just called them the Burger King toys.

Reaction score

JoshEEE said:
One more question for you, since there isn't really a "full room perspective" shot.

How big is the room all of this is in?
I thought I'd mentioned it, but I guess I didn't. The walls with all of the big shelf set ups are 12.5'(L) x 12'(H). The wall with all the windows (and the opposite one with the entrance door and bathroom door (not really pictured)) is about 16 or 17 feet long.

The loft is 1 bedroom, and 1 main room - so the toys stay confined in the bedroom - but until we get a house or a bigger loft in a few years, we're sleeping in the toy room.