Picard

Reaction score
Anyone see the teaser, thoughts?

I'm definitely intrigued, and curious how it unfolds/plot. It's been too long since "All Good Things", so not quite sure of the exact particulars. Although not a fan of yet another show being on a paid streaming service. If this is indeed the new future of TV, I guess I'll be missing out on a lot of content going forward.

If it's good enough, I'll probably just buy the Blu-Ray.

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the Picard series mainly because it's moving the story of Star Trek forward for the first time in a long time. For the last nearly 20 years, Star Trek has been prequels and reboots. I'm ready for something new.

Reaction score
I heard that the timeline switch from JJ's Star Trek will play into this show. So, does that mean this Picard is from that timeline? He would probably have had a very different career.

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the fact that it says (15 years ago you commanded the largest rescue operation in Starfleet history, and then the unimaginable happened.) But I have a feeling it might be a bit boring since he apparently is out of Starfleet at the time the show takes place.

Reaction score
Picard is also referred to as "admiral," which I found interesting. Guess he didn't take Kirk's advice in Generations.

Reaction score
I read a little deeper into it, and what they were actually saying is that the event that threw Spock and the Romulan ship back in time, which also destroyed Romulus, plays a key role in the events. It's still the prime timeline.

Reaction score
Thank the Maker, I'm Abrams versed out already. I agree with Lister about finally getting a show that's moving forward.

I'm definitely excited to see what kind of new ships are flying around, and also hoping for some cameos like Maybe a Captain Paris or possibly his Daughter. etc.

Reaction score
I actually enjoy the reboot movies quite a bit. I'm just ready for new stories set in a new era. One of the coolest things about TNG was that it featured new characters and it jumped ahead like 70 years from the movie era that was "current" at the time. It opened up a ton of dramatic possibilities and didn't have the narrative baggage that later prequel shows like Enterprise and Discovery would have. The reboot movies have more freedom, but it's still stories about characters we've seen a million times. Again I like those movies (not so much Enterprise and Discovery) but I just think it's way past time to do what TNG did over 30 years ago.

Reaction score
Is it sad that I am only now remembering that Picard died? Guess my ST give a sh!ST is spent.

Reaction score
Yeah, wrong character. It was Data who kind of died.

I also have hopes that Spiner will appear as B4, and answers that question. Though I guess not, since this is about Picard selling wine.

GNT

Reaction score
I never really watched much of TNG but have seen bits and pieces and some of the movies over the years. I'm kind of excited about this one and will give it a go.

Reaction score
New trailer up, looks even more interesting! Seems that 7 of 9 is also going to appear as well as Data.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Looks amazing- not sure what I'll do since I don't want yet another streaming service.

Utinniii

Reaction score
spoiler speculation!!!

It seems like the plot is Picard's lovechild with the Borg Queen pops in to reveal her existence and Picard is worried that Starfleet will want her destroyed. She will know enough about cybernetics and positrons to reboot Data's memory into a new body.
The borg are back and there's gonna be trouble, hey now, the borg are back!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Amazing first episode! Just stellar effects and wonderful setup for this farthest-future Trek!

Reaction score
Our Sci-Fi/Fantasy franchise quality bar has been lowered so much over the last decade that I can't even watch the inevitable mess this becomes.
I adored TNG so I really don't want to watch Picard, the Federation, and the TNG-verse be dismantled by untalented writers who put personal ideology over story. Subtle allegories are good but ham-fisted propaganda is bad.
What's more, I've no interest to pay for a product (service or film) so the writers can not-so-subtly take jabs at me for loving things that came before they got fake-woke.

Reaction score
As usual I'm waiting for more episodes to air so that I can binge watch them all during trial period. lol

But nice to hear that it's good!

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first episode. Definitely worth a watch for any Trek fan.

GNT

Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this one, they’ll be making a 2nd season.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Second episode even better than the first!
  Spoiler:  
Borg goodness has begun!

Reaction score
Just watched the first two episodes. If you asked me if I liked it, after the first one, I'd say "...I'd watch more."

After the second episode "I'm looking forward to watching more."

If anyone noticed, in the first episode when he wakes up from the painting dream, the chime for the clock is the same as the chime for the clock in the Patrick Steward A Christmas Carol.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Third episode in now... loving the flashbacks to the Mars event and the current mystery of the Romulans and their hunt for the scientist twin. Captain Rios is a good addition to the crew, too.

Reaction score
You'd think by that point in the future mankind would have created enough sci-fi to know that nothing has ever worked out for a Mars colony/installation, ever. ;)

Reaction score
Watched all eight episodes so far, and have to say that I really like it overall. Though a few nitpicks about why it's so bleak/dark and why it happened, but I guess it's only a natural progression for a civilization that advanced with a feeling of superiority. I always felt there would be an eventual downfall of the Federation due to hints of corruption we've seen. But after seeing this new era has me at odds, that this isn't Gene's Star Trek anymore. At least not the core of why he though mankind would be better in the future. This show drives it home that no matter how far you come, there's always room for improvement.

As for all the intertwining story arcs, it almost feels spread to far in a sense. They trying to weave Borg, Romulan, a new faction, Picard's, Soji's etc. Really a lot going on, not to mention a side stop to tell a brief history about the Troi family and their tragedy. Seems like everyone has a tragedy.
I think i simply got wrapped up in what good the federation/Starfleet was supposed to represent, and that famine, disease, addiction etc were all things of the past. Not so anymore. That said, there are also moments of goodness and a little comedy mixed in enough for it not to feel like a total downer.

At first i had the feeling Picard would sacrifice himself for Soji the same way Data did for Picard, especially considering his sickness. But learning there is going to be more seasons rules that out, I just wonder how long they think this show could last. Surely they don't plan to spread this Romulan arc over several seasons? Was good to see some of those cameos though, some touching moments too.

Reaction score
Masterfett - Roddenberry's Trek came out at a time when the mood in the US was not great. We were embroiled in a controversial, and many thought unjust, war, several prominent figures had been assassinated, racial tensions were extremely high, and there was a serious generational divide. What the country needed at that time was hope - hope of healing, and hope for a brighter future. And that's what Roddenberry wanted to give us.

When TNG came out, we were at the end of, but still in, a cold war with Russia and people were worried about nuclear annihilation. Again, we needed something hopeful, something to take our minds off of real world problems.

Nowadays, despite income inequality, and serious political divisiveness in this, and other countries, things are, for the most part, not too bad in the US; at least as compared to the '60s and the height of the cold war. When things are good, you don't need to make bright, hopeful sci-fi. Instead you can make dark, conspiratorial, and even dystopian sci-fi and people will enjoy it.

Depending on how things progress with the corona virus and the world economy, we might see more of a shift back to the bright, hopeful kind of sci-fi, god help us.