Phoenix Board # 188: NYC Toy Fair Reveals

Reaction score
Does anyone have more than one PF Darth Vader from SSC. I know I'm super late to the party on this one but I wanted to get some idea on preference on these. I m not as excited about the pose of the "rebel helmet" version. Lord of the Sith has the better base than the first version but the first version really is impressive even with its slightly less dynamic pose. Anyone go after one over another? Just interested on what others have thought.

Reaction score
Chandler, AZ (It's kind of like Tatooine)
Does anyone have more than one PF Darth Vader from SSC. I know I'm super late to the party on this one but I wanted to get some idea on preference on these. I m not as excited about the pose of the "rebel helmet" version. Lord of the Sith has the better base than the first version but the first version really is impressive even with its slightly less dynamic pose. Anyone go after one over another? Just interested on what others have thought.
I agree. I wasn't big on the Rogue One pose or the base. Personally, I would've preferred to see something more like this from Rogue One. I loved that scene where an entire ship is fleeing from this one man standing in the vacuum of space.

I would definitely get the first version over the new one, but that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
Don't have any of the premium format Vader's but my vote is for the original one something about the simplicity of that one it just looks cool.

Reaction score
When I checked the Stormy was back in stock I ordered three one for you one for me and one for MK. The order went through and I got charged we'll see if it ships ( I did free store pickup).
DT - I picked up the figures today so it's ready for you whenever you want it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I’m a sucker and picked up another GoA stormtrooper at GF/60 WM. I hate how expensive these are for 5POA, but it’s a nice kitbash figure. You can never have too many stormies.

Reaction score
Normally I do not tend to share opinions with the guys over at JTA, but today I definitely do. It appears Thomas had a lot of the same feelings that I did about the Galaxy of Adventures Leia clip.

One thing not mentioned in the article that also bugged me is that Luke and Chewie not only entered the trash compactor before Leia, but she also kicked Chewie, who she hadn't even formally met yet, into the garbage chute. If that was the attitude from someone I just risked my life to save from execution, I would be executing them myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Normally I do not tend to share opinions with the guys over at JTA, but today I definitely do. It appears Thomas had a lot of the same feelings that I did about the Galaxy of Adventures Leia clip.

One thing not mentioned in the article that also bugged me is that Luke and Chewie not only entered the trash compactor before Leia, but she also kicked Chewie, who she hadn't even formally met yet, into the garbage chute. If that was the attitude from someone I just risked my life to save from execution, I would be executing them myself.
I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish by making Luke look like a fool. Luke doesn't have to be marginalized to make Leia look strong. I also don't like them changing classic scenes from the OT to fit some kind of new narrative Lucasfilm is trying to push.

Reaction score
Just received this from 3D Systems...

3D Systems said:
Dear Valued Gentle Giant Ltd. Collector,

We are pleased to announce that as of February 1st, Gentle Giant Ltd has a new parent company. Gentle Giant Ltd. has been acquired by Diamond Select Toys. www.gentlegiantltd.com is currently down for maintenance. Notification will be sent once the Gentle Giant Ltd. website is up and running.

It is Diamond Select Toys’ goal to continue to provide you with excellent customer service and outstanding high-end limited edition collectibles.

You probably have a few questions and hopefully we can address them.

How do these changes affect me?

We are taking great efforts to make this transition as smooth as possible. You should not see any changes on the website regarding your account information, membership status or existing pre-orders.

What should I do
- If I received damaged product or if I did not receive my order

If your order was shipped on or before January 31, 2019, please contact gentlegiantltd.custserv@3dsystems.com until February 28, 2019. 3D Systems will be able to assist you, but will not be able to replace product and will have to issue a refund for your order. Once www.gentlegiantltd.com is live you can place an order for the item in question, providing the product is still in stock. If your order shipped after January 31, 2019 please contact customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com

- If I received notice that my order was declined

Gentle Giant Ltd. can reprocess your order once www.gentlegiantltd.com is operational. You may need to update your payment information, for you order to be reauthorized.

- If I want to update my billing/shipping address or payment information for an order

Once www.gentlegiantltd.com is live again, you can update your information at that time.

For additional information, please contact Diamond Select Toys – Gentle Giant Ltd. via email at customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com

Thank you,

- 3D Systems Staff
Who knows what problems we'll encounter due to this.

Reaction score
That doesn't sound familiar at all.
The lowest membership level didn't get me a Statue or Bust like the other 2 levels, but I am fairly sure it mentioned some kind of grab bag that I would get. But since their site isn't active right now I can't double check.

EDIT: I found it

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a nice looking wave and some of these figures are far overdue.

It would be cool if Padme's mid-drift section of her outfit was removable.

Vice Admiral Holdo almost looks a little turned on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I received my Pop! Endor Han, General Lando and Logray/3PO Movie Moment.

Gilbert & Germann Target- Two Galaxy of Adventures Stormtroopers. BS6 Archive Bossk, IG-88 and Luke. No Boba Fetts. I have yet to see him on the pegs.

Reaction score

Nice wave, really looking forward to Mace and Mudtrooper Han.

Reaction score
Hola, que tal everybody.

I'm excited for new Hot Wheels cars, even though I don't really care for any of the characters. It might give me a reason to stop at stores again.

If the hyperreal figures end up looking cool, I might buy some when they eventually hit clearance. I think the problem is you can't sell collector focused specialty lines at retailers like Wal*Mart for $80. You have to go through toy-centric retailers; the biggest you could do is Barnes & Noble since they already have a track record for selling those kinds of items. These will flop hard at Wal*Mart.

I kinda want that Holdo, just to run around going "pew, pew".

I don't have a Vader, but if I were to get one it'd be the first version. I like it better than the others; and if you have the Obi-Wan I like how they can be set up with each other.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to see a 3-3/4" Holdo and Vos. I was really hoping this year would bring a mixed line of unmade figures from CW, TFA, TLJ, RO and Solo, but I don't expect to see many new Toy Fair reveals at this point.

Reaction score
Just thought I would pop in and let you all know. I saw that a place called America’s discount food on southern and longmore has a ton of cases of the 3.75 black series wave with lando, ackbar, jyn , cassian, death trooper and scarif stormtrooper. They’re 4.99 each. Just thought someone might like some army builders.

Reaction score
Just thought I would pop in and let you all know. I saw that a place called America’s discount food on southern and longmore has a ton of cases of the 3.75 black series wave with lando, ackbar, jyn , cassian, death trooper and scarif stormtrooper. They’re 4.99 each. Just thought someone might like some army builders.
Wow! You were not kidding. Desiree swung by on her way home from work and I was afraid all the Scarif and Death Troopers would be gone by the time she got there. Then she sent me these pictures.

She counted at least 60 Scarif troopers and I don't think that included what was in the closed boxes.

I have no idea how many she is coming home with. I told her to get what she felt comfortable with.

UPDATE: So Desiree just got home and she picked me up 18 Scarif Troopers and 4 Death Troopers. Then she tells me they're doing some promotion and you get to spin the wheel and get so many dollars off your next purchase. She landed on $25, so she's going back tomorrow to get more. WOW!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score

As far as likeness goes, Mace, Dryden and Holdo look great. Padme, not so much. Han, I'm not sure about, could be a bad angle.

Reaction score
Funny, someone posted about this in local Transformers forum today as well. I stopped by after work and grabbed 5 each of the Scarif and Death Troopers and a pack of cookies.
Interesting store, I got to spin the wheel but only won $1 of my next purchase.

Reaction score
Wow! You were not kidding. Desiree swung by on her way home from work and I was afraid all the Scarif and Death Troopers would be gone by the time she got there. Then she sent me these pictures.

She counted at least 60 Scarif troopers and I don't think that included what was in the closed boxes.

I have no idea how many she is coming home with. I told her to get what she felt comfortable with.

UPDATE: So Desiree just got home and she picked me up 18 Scarif Troopers and 4 Death Troopers. Then she tells me they're doing some promotion and you get to spin the wheel and get so many dollars off your next purchase. She landed on $25, so she's going back tomorrow to get more. WOW!!!
I was told they had 6000 units, which translated to roughly 1000 of each figure by my math. I was not offered the spin the wheel. Which is too bad.

Reaction score
I was told they had 6000 units, which translated to roughly 1000 of each figure by my math. I was not offered the spin the wheel. Which is too bad.
Desiree was wondering if you had to spend a certain amount. She spent $107. But it could just be the cashier you were dealing with was slacking. She thinks $25 was the highest prize. She was thrilled.

Then to make things even better last night, we were at dinner at Abuelo's and ordered the Valentine's special fajitas with bacon-wrapped shrimp, steak, chicken and vegetables. Instead of chicken they brought us regular shrimp. I told the server and she immediately went back to get us some chicken. I wasn't even phased by it. Then I asked what we should do with the shrimp we were given and she said we could eat them or take them home. Free shrimp! COOL! Then when I go to pay she tells me the manager took care of it. I said "Took care of what?". She told me the whole bill. I asked why and she told me because they screwed up the order with the chicken. SERIOUS!?!? I didn't consider it a big mistake and we had chicken on our table in about 3 minutes and free shrimp. So all we paid for at dinner was the two drinks at the bar and I made sure to give our waitress an very sizable tip. It was a very good day/night.

Reaction score
Funny, someone posted about this in local Transformers forum today as well. I stopped by after work and grabbed 5 each of the Scarif and Death Troopers and a pack of cookies.
Interesting store, I got to spin the wheel but only won $1 of my next purchase.
I was going to give you a hard time about coming all the way to Mesa for some figures, but I have ridden all the way to Metro Center just to pick up a specific Star Wars item that I couldn't find anywhere else.

They have another store even further east in Mesa. I wonder if they're getting a bunch of cases as well. This explains why I could never find the Shore Trooper or Death Trooper at retail when it was released.