Phoenix Board #184: TLJ and the holiday season

Reaction score
Chandler, AZ (It's kind of like Tatooine)
I just received an email from Gentle Giant cancelling an order with no details. I checked my account and no longer see the K-2SO mini bust in the list. I had to call and leave a message with customer service because Richard was already on the line with someone else.

I swear this company can never get anything right.

Just spoke to Richard. Apparently the email that GG sent out this morning for the K-2SO managed to cancel all orders, so you have to follow the link they sent and basically resubmit the order again. A real PITA, but there's a bright side... Because the item is in-stock, you can use an in-stock coupon for it. I dropped mine by $35.

Reaction score
G_T I have this one on pre-order, but I will be canceling because I recently got the Hot Toys K2. Let me know if you want me to push the order through for you.
I would love it. Refresh my memory on the cost? Granted the logistics of getting it to me could be rough as usual, but I am not in a hurry. I could paypal you and maybe you could just drop it off at my Chandler Store. Or we can work out details later.

Reaction score
I went to the Avondale Estella Harkins for the 6:00 show. It has the into by Director RJ and the John Williams “mini documentary” and we got the lobby cards. It was fun. A few fans in costumes. Saw it again at 10:00pm that night. I’m excited to hear everyone’s thoughts once we are out of the spoiler free week or so here on the boards.

Reaction score
Haven't seen the movie yet. It was about 9:30 by the time we were done trooping and out of armor and very beat. Some of the 501st guys went in to see it. The three of us Mercs that attended ended up going to the bar and got complimentary beers and food and tickets for any other day, so we're leaving in a couple hours to go back to see it.

If anyone is interested, here are some shots on AZ Central. Desiree and I are in it a few times. Rudder is also there and can be seen in the brown Neo-First Crusader style Mando armor.

Reaction score
I would love it. Refresh my memory on the cost? Granted the logistics of getting it to me could be rough as usual, but I am not in a hurry. I could paypal you and maybe you could just drop it off at my Chandler Store. Or we can work out details later.
Sent you a PM.

Reaction score
Haven't seen the movie yet. It was about 9:30 by the time we were done trooping and out of armor and very beat. Some of the 501st guys went in to see it. The three of us Mercs that attended ended up going to the bar and got complimentary beers and food and tickets for any other day, so we're leaving in a couple hours to go back to see it.

If anyone is interested, here are some shots on AZ Central. Desiree and I are in it a few times. Rudder is also there and can be seen in the brown Neo-First Crusader style Mando armor.

Nice pictures and cool names, was guarding the door harder than killing Jedi? :grin:

Reaction score
I went to the Avondale Estella Harkins for the 6:00 show. It has the into by Director RJ and the John Williams “mini documentary” and we got the lobby cards. It was fun. A few fans in costumes. Saw it again at 10:00pm that night. I’m excited to hear everyone’s thoughts once we are out of the spoiler free week or so here on the boards.
I could have gone to the 6:00 show at SS Harkins, but I thought the 3D show would be less crowded and I was right. I kind of wish I would have gone to the earlier showing to get the lobby cards but I'm ok with missing out on those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saw the movie... Definite good points and definite bad points, but won't discuss here. Alamo is still not my favorite theatre. Looking forward to seeing it on iPic tomorrow.

Alma School & Queen Creek Tuesday Morning store has the BS6 TIE Fighter for $59.99. If I didn't already have three of them, I would've snagged it. They also had a lot of other Star Wars items right up front, but nothing that I cared about except that TIE Fighter.

AZ Ave & Ocotillo Target- Maz, Finn FO disguise and lots of Executioners.

Reaction score
Saw the movie... Definite good points and definite bad points, but won't discuss here. Alamo is still not my favorite theatre. Looking forward to seeing it on iPic tomorrow.

Alma School & Queen Creek Tuesday Morning store has the BS6 TIE Fighter for $59.99. If I didn't already have three of them, I would've snagged it. They also had a lot of other Star Wars items right up front, but nothing that I cared about except that TIE Fighter.

AZ Ave & Ocotillo Target- Maz, Finn FO disguise and lots of Executioners.

Saw it this morning. I liked it, but like you said it had its good points and bad points.

Reaction score
I was wrong. It's in the mail box. Desiree is running out now to get it. Not sure why except that she's got a lot of drinks in her and in a really good mood.

Lol !!!!!!!

Mine said Saturday too but arrived today. K2 shipped for me too.

Reaction score
I saw TLJ this morning.. I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. I will say this... the porgs were adorable and didn't bother me at all.

Reaction score
Target.com has a huge 20% sale on all Star Wars items, plus the $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 for toys only. The Galactic Heroes BB-8 Playset is marked at $36.99, which is over half off. Then I added the ROTJ figure set and got the $10 off for spending $50 and then an additional 5% off and FREE shipping for using the RedCard.

I'm going to return the ROTJ set with my original receipt, so that brings the BB-8 Playset down to $23.35 including tax. I don't know that I'll ever find it less than that.

Reaction score
Glbert/Southern Target is giving away LEGO Millenium Falcon mini build kits and TLJ mini figure sticker sheets today. Not sure if other stores are doing it.

RDM

Reaction score
Any reason we just haven't started a spoiler thread for those that have seen it like we've done previously?

Reaction score
Any reason we just haven't started a spoiler thread for those that have seen it like we've done previously?
Start one up. I think the consensus was that most people would see it in 24 hours. But I don't think that is the case. I think there are a few who won't see it until tomorrow.
I think you should just start one. I think we all need to get it off out our chest. I have already been talking in a group text for 2 day with some people and a couple of FB chats.

Reaction score
Target.com has a huge 20% sale on all Star Wars items, plus the $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 for toys only. The Galactic Heroes BB-8 Playset is marked at $36.99, which is over half off. Then I added the ROTJ figure set and got the $10 off for spending $50 and then an additional 5% off and FREE shipping for using the RedCard.

I'm going to return the ROTJ set with my original receipt, so that brings the BB-8 Playset down to $23.35 including tax. I don't know that I'll ever find it less than that.

My Target order already shipped.

Reaction score
Saw TLJ today (1st viewing), walking out of the theatre I thought it was great! Now that I've had time to fully process the movie, I'm conflicted. Can't wait to discuss it after everyone sees it.
Good to be back btw.

Reaction score
I'm seeing it again this afternoon, I liked it the first time, but there was a lot to process.

I ordered the Sphero R2 from Target for pickup at Paradise Valley. The Sphero are $130 then you get the $25 off for $100, then 20% off and it came with the Force Band for free. Total was $94.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Watch it today at Alamo Drafthouse. Really liked it. Didn't feel long at all, I could watch a 6 hour long SW movie, not a problem at all 😀

Reaction score
So I couldn't stand thinking of the BS6 TIE Fighter that I found on sale at Tuesday Morning to fall into the wrong hands, so after seeing TLJ yesterday, we stopped by and I picked it up. I now have four BS6 TIE Fighters. I know the BS6 line of vehicles is probably short lived, but I really hope they produce an X-Wing to accompany the TIE Fighter.

Reaction score
And now I can say I liked it even more the third time. We both felt that way. We heard a guy tell his buddy as we were walking out of the theatre yesterday that he liked it way more the second time.
I have read a ton of dislike for this movie. I have to admit, I was not all that interested in going to see TLJ a second time, but I told my kids I would take them, and another fan I know insisted I give it a 2nd chance.

When TFA was released, I couldn't wait to see it over and over after the initial viewing. I saw it 5 times in theaters that I can recall.

TLJ seemed to move a lot faster the 2nd time, and parts I didn't like the first time around have grown on me. I won't go into details here yet due to spoilers. Not sure I'll give it a 3rd big screen viewing though.

Reaction score
Considering it's been 4 days since the release of The Last Jedi and everyone here is supposedly a REAL Star Wars fan, I think we can open it up to spoilers.

So to get things started...

Things that seriously bugged me

• My biggest problem with the whole movie was Canto Bight. This seemed like something straight from the mind of George, himself. It seemed like something they would've put in the prequels with Dexter Jetster's greasy spoon. The entire premise of it was so Earth-like that I hated every second of it. The champagne bottles with corks popping, the champagne glasses, the officer on the cruise ship wearing an Earth-like Naval uniform, the stereo-typical old woman playing slot machines, the drunken guy pumping coins into BB-8. Even the Fathiers racing was all very Earth-like.
  • While the Fathiers didn't bug me completely, to me they looked more like something from Harry Potter than Star Wars. I think it would've been better had it been Tauntauns because then it would've been a tie back to the originals.
  • Which brings up my next problem, except for Ackbar and Nien Numb, there are no species from the original trilogy. Where are the Ithorians, Rodians, Aqualish, something! I am tired of all these bizarre looking creatures being introduced, but nothing we grew up with. There had to be some of them in the Galaxy. I mean there wasn't even a Hutt on Canto Bight. That seems very unlikely.
  • Yoda sucked! He seemed very animated and he went from sometimes looking like the puppet to others almost looking like a cartoon. His personality was all over the place and his "page-turner" comment sent chills up my spine. I would've been fine had he not even been in it. Plus now they have introduced that Jedi spirits can cause changes in the real world. If this is the case, why didn't Yoda and Obi-Wan help Luke battle the Emperor in ROTJ?
  • While not completely awful, I could've done without Rey's reflections sequence in the cave under the island. It just didn't seem Star Wars to me and seemed more Harry Potter-ish. Desiree loved it. She loves Harry Potter too. I did like how they showed her when asking to see her parents though. It was very reminiscent of Luke seeing his own face in Vader's mask.
  • Phasma? Seriously? That's it??? She was hyped up so much and so much merchandise and she barely does anything and was defeated by her underling?
  • Poe's "Can you hear me now?" jokes got old quick and came off very Earth-like.
  • Maz was not needed in the movie. The holo scene was cornball and unnecessary. I would've preferred they figured out they need some "Master Code Breaker" in another way.
  • Slow motion action sequences. I am so tired of those and they've never been in a Star Wars movie before now. I hate them.
  • The Calypso-style music in Canto Bight. I love John Williams and think he's a genius, but was very disappointed at how much that sounded like something I would actually hear on a tropic cruise.

Things that I loved

• I loved the connection between Kylo and Rey. It took me a moment to get used to it, but once I did it really worked for me.
  • Kylo killing Snoke was absolutely AWESOME! Snoke was powerful, but I think making Kylo the remaining head of evil just really works.
  • Kylo showing Hux who's in charge is also AWESOME! I also liked Snoke smacking Hux to the ground and busting up his nose.
  • Rose, to my surprise, ended up being a great character. I really liked her and because of her, for the first time in a Star Wars movie, I actually teared up a little and she did it to me twice.
  • I love the Porgs!!! I would not be upset if Chewie adopted one and kept it aboard the Falcon in the last movie.
  • BB-9E was not only not an arch enemy to BB-8, but he was actually barely in it.
  • Laura Dern's character still looks to me like she'd fit into Hunger Games more than Star Wars, but I thought her character was great. She ended up a nice surprise.
  • I thought the opening battle scene with Poe against the Dreadnought was incredible. I loved how they showed him maneuver the X-Wing.
  • I love that Rey's parents were nobodies. It would not have made sense for anyone good to leave her like that.
  • Snoke's face laying on the ground when Hux found him was priceless.
  • The Praetorian Guards did not disappoint. We got some action there that was missing with the original Royal Guards.

Questions I need answered

• Why was Luke able to touch things when he wasn't really there?
  • How was 3PO able to see Luke? The only thing we can figure is he was able to make himself corporeal and was actually there in a sense.
  • How are they going to kill off Leia? I thought for sure it was going to be when the bridge of the ship was destroyed, but them she came back. I wouldn't have minded they did something like Luke and Leia being linked as twins and when he died, so did she. I just hope it's not something lame in the next movie.
  • Speaking of... How did Leia survive the extreme freezing and vacuum of space?
  • Why did the Resistance bombers move so slowly? It's space. There's no resistance in space, so they should move along at a decent speed.
  • Where is Luke's green lightsaber? He had it when Kylo destroyed the Jedi temple in the flashbacks. Is it on Ahch-To?

I probably have more to discuss, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I did enjoy the movie and like I have mentioned, I enjoy it more each time. I was just so hoping that with George Lucas no longer involved, all of the goofy humor and Earth-like environments would no longer be an issue, but that is not the case.

Oh and did any of you see Gareth Edwards in the movie? He was the Resistance fighter in the trench next to the other one that tasted the ground (and why would you taste the ground? For all he knew, that was Crystal Fox excrement.).

Last edited: