Phantom Menace Redone

Reaction score
As is the case with many fans, I find TPM to be one of the weakest entries in the franchise. There are many reasons for this not the least of which is the fact that Lucas tried too hard, in my opinion, to make it a "kids" movie that focused too heavily on Anakin's life as a small child.

Had it been up to me one of the changes that I would have made would have been to still have the movie begin with Anakin as a child but only for the first 10 minutes or so. In my version, two (or more) Jedi would have been dispatched to Tatooine to investigate a local crime syndicate. Anakin and his mother would have been present along with other members of the public when a skirmish occurs that leads to his mother being accidentally killed. Anakin then in a fit of rage snaps the necks of the individual or individuals that kills his mother in front of the Jedi who then realize his potential and take him back to Coruscant. The movie would then fast forward 10 years to when Anakin is a headstrong padawan and the Republic is being fractured by the Separatists. This would allow the focus of the movie to be on the start of the Clone Wars and would have allowed the second movie to deal with the wars themselves and allow for a much more gradual shift to the dark side.

I'm sure other far more creative folks could come up with something better. Still, what do other scummers think? Dumb idea? Good idea? Too much like Batman and Bruce Wayne?

Reaction score
It hits all the tropes and motifs. It sounds neat!

Reaction score
Anakin and his mother would have been present along with other members of the public when a skirmish occurs that leads to his mother being accidentally killed by being crushed by a barrel of sand during the melee. Anakin then in a fit of rage snaps the necks of the individual or individuals that kills his mother in front of the Jedi who then realize his potential and take him back to Coruscant.

That would add a little more spice to the story.

Reaction score
As to General Hoth (GH), I agree mostly with his assessment of Ep. 1.
However, for me, it was not as worse with Ep. 2.

Parts of GH's storyline I find interesting. However, I would have it more 50% kid and 50% teen Anakin.
Now, as to Ep. 2, it would have been 50% pre-Clone Wars, 50% Clone Wars.
Then, with Ep. 3, again 1/2 for end of Clone Wars, other 1/2 Vader and Rise of Galactic Empire.

However, this is all moot. Lucas wanted ep. 1 to be the feel good since he knew the other films would be darker with this trilogy.
As to "kids" movie, they are all supposed to be "kids" movies. That was his point when he made them from a certain point of view.
They are the modern fairy tales.

For me, Lucas, for the visuals, he cannot do any wrong. It is storytelling that needs works. He should not have written and directed all of them, but that is a separate topic.

However, he had more of a plan than Disney does now.

This will go on and on with fans, and it probably always will. This will become generational as time goes on.

Thank you.

Reaction score
For me, Lucas, for the visuals, he cannot do any wrong. It is storytelling that needs works. He should not have written and directed all of them, but that is a separate topic.

However, he had more of a plan than Disney does now.

This will go on and on with fans, and it probably always will. This will become generational as time goes on.

Thank you.

The prequel trilogy is a series of good movies. Not great movies, good movies. With each movie showing
improvement over the previous.
The story line is relevant to the original trilogy, maintains the brief historical background described in the
original trilogy and provides answers to questions we had after seeing The Return of the Jedi in 1983.
Were they up to the same standards of dialogue, idea crafting, originality of story line and organic props
and visuals?
No, there was way to much CGI, possibly to many character arcs to develop and keep the audience
riveted, and a story ending that allowed the fan base to create what they believed to be a better and more
creative finale.
The original trilogy shall always be the standard to which every other Star Wars movie will be measured
and the only movie that came close to or as close as possible to the O.T. is Rogue One.

One thing I do know is this. Despite all of the years of criticisms it has endured the Prequel Trilogy is an oscar
winning cinematic masterpiece compared to disneys sequels.

Reaction score
Well, ID13238, I sort of agree with your assessment. The best one of current OT is Rogue One.
However, for me, only ROTS has endured.
I feel that the Disney sequels were okay, but again, I feel more disappointed than upset.
Again, for the last 2, that is a long, separate topic for each.

I can't watch Ep. 1 or 2 except for certain scenes (basically the 2 Jedi battles).
However, it is elusive to call good movies for Ep 1 or 2. For me, as time has passed, they are more okay movies.
I still believe they could have been improved. Case in point: The Phantom Edit.
I felt there were better options for those 2. Another case in point: 2003 Clone Wars miniseries or even the 2008 series.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Well, ID13238, I sort of agree with your assessment. The best one of current OT is Rogue One.
However, for me, only ROTS has endured.
I feel that the Disney sequels were okay, but again, I feel more disappointed than upset.
Again, for the last 2, that is a long, separate topic for each.

I can't watch Ep. 1 or 2 except for certain scenes (basically the 2 Jedi battles).
However, it is elusive to call good movies for Ep 1 or 2. For me, as time has passed, they are more okay movies.
I still believe they could have been improved. Case in point: The Phantom Edit.
I felt there were better options for those 2. Another case in point: 2003 Clone Wars miniseries or even the 2008 series.

Thank you.

Your points are valid and substantiated over the past 22 years.
Now, regarding the Clone Wars tv shows..
The original 2003 and 2008 series were OUTSTANDING!! Lucalfilm continued the character and story arc's perfectly
and kept the fan base excited about Star Wars and waiting with enthusiastic anticipation for the next episode.
I give this series a rating of 10-10, 5 stars, and 5-5 diamonds.
The Ahsoka series was excellent also. I give it a 9-10 rating.

Reaction score
ID13238, your points are valid as well.
However, I still have an issue with CW 2008 series. As with other great series, it took a while and it did improve over time.
One thing if you noticed, in the 2003 CW (which to me is still better), didn't Asajj Ventress die?
It seemed to imply that.
My issue is that the other series did not really stated how she survived.
Did I miss an episode where that is explained? Or will this become a Rise of Skywalker Emperor issue?
Ahsoka series? When was that? I recall her only in Clone Wars and Rebels (which I thought was excellent as well).
Thank you.

Reaction score
The prequel trilogy is a series of good movies. Not great movies, good movies. With each movie showing
improvement over the previous.
The story line is relevant to the original trilogy, maintains the brief historical background described in the
original trilogy and provides answers to questions we had after seeing The Return of the Jedi in 1983.
Were they up to the same standards of dialogue, idea crafting, originality of story line and organic props
and visuals?
No, there was way to much CGI, possibly to many character arcs to develop and keep the audience
riveted, and a story ending that allowed the fan base to create what they believed to be a better and more
creative finale.
The original trilogy shall always be the standard to which every other Star Wars movie will be measured
and the only movie that came close to or as close as possible to the O.T. is Rogue One.

One thing I do know is this. Despite all of the years of criticisms it has endured the Prequel Trilogy is an oscar
winning cinematic masterpiece compared to disneys sequels.

It's funny watching the sequels has given me a new appreciation for the prequels. Don't get me wrong, they prequels will always be poor films IMO, that suffer from having too much CGI and poor dialogue. That said, at least George Lucas gave us an original story instead of the lazy ass story telling that we got from JJ et. al.