Parting out a Y-Wing

Reaction score
I'm going to be parting out a Y-Wing soon. Having never pulled one of these apart before and since I don't want to break anything with my caveman hands, I have a few questions. Whats the trick to pulling the following parts off:

1) Engine Strut Assembly (keeping the entire thing intact, thrusters and struts)
2) Nose Guns
3) Top Gun/Cannon
4) Canopy

I know it is probably really simple, but if I break something I'm going to be pissed. hahaha

Reaction score
I did one a while ago and it wasn't too complicated. Only tricky part was cleanly removing the engine decals so the halves can come apart.

Just take pics as you go and you won't have to worry too much about keeping the engine assembly intact. If you just don't want to fiddle with getting it all back together, try to tape them up to secure everything in place before you remove them.

The front cannons on mine were bent so I just removed the front screws and wedged open the end. It didn't take much space to free the cannons from the body. I had to eventually open it up anyway for other reasons, but if these cannons are all you need to get to, you might get away by just loosening the front.

The others parts you list just pop out as I recall. Maybe a hair dryer would be good insurance against breaking them as you remove.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure RetroBlasting has two great videos on how this might be done. I'd recommend you give them a watch!

Reaction score
as much as i gripe about retro blasting i used their video as a guide when i took mine apart. just watch out for that damned landing gear rig ugh. i cut my stickers with a screw driver so i wouldnt have to tear them

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I used retroblasting's videos for dismantling an AT-AT and it went great. I'll check out his Y-wing one too. Hairdryer on old plastic is always a safe bet to prevent cracking. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes or if anything else comes up with it.

Reaction score
My favorite ship hands down. Another tip is your motor. If it doesn't work put the batteries in backwards and try it. If not then install batteries correct and gently move the gears to get them going. Just a tiny bit is all you need. Those motors usually don't go bad unless they have been completely corroded. I love that ship.. post pics when you finish.

Reaction score
My favorite ship hands down. Another tip is your motor. If it doesn't work put the batteries in backwards and try it. If not then install batteries correct and gently move the gears to get them going. Just a tiny bit is all you need. Those motors usually don't go bad unless they have been completely corroded. I love that ship.. post pics when you finish.
Thanks Toyman. Yes the motor works fine. This is a duplicate Y-wing I have and since I don't really need two I'm going to part it out for others trying to complete theirs and maybe make a couple bucks that I can put towards finishing off the final last 17 figures I have left to acquire. Y-wing is definitely my favorite ship too with the snowspeeder in close second.

Reaction score
Thanks Toyman. Yes the motor works fine. This is a duplicate Y-wing I have and since I don't really need two I'm going to part it out for others trying to complete theirs and maybe make a couple bucks that I can put towards finishing off the final last 17 figures I have left to acquire. Y-wing is definitely my favorite ship too with the snowspeeder in close second.
Well, I can say your struts by themselves can fetch 10 a piece. The full strut assembly sells quick. Top gun turret and front cannons go high as well. Good luck on the sales.

Reaction score
do you have the bomb? thats all i need for mine and on ebay it goes for like 30 to 35$ for both haves. i only took mine apart to fix the motor. those struts do indeed cost 10$ each with full assemblys going for about 50$

Reaction score
I'm kind of torn on parting out vehicles. On one hand people need parts (like me). On the other it just feels like a lot of parts, mostly the main bodies, will be abandoned forever sadly. If I buy a incomplete vehicle for parts, I usually just keep it around until I gradually see cheap parts to restore it. I also usually never sell them at a low enough price where someone may part it out again, just for the hopes someone will keep it. As to the Y-Wing, I need one strut to complete mine.

Reaction score
I need a strut and the top gun...they are holding me back from buying an incomplete one locally...but cant bear to spend 35 bucks for that top gun.

Reaction score
What are these going for now, complete and working?

When I bought mine, loose complete working averaged about 60 bucks

I love that ship!

Reaction score
What are these going for now, complete and working?

When I bought mine, loose complete working averaged about 60 bucks

I love that ship!
I paid $82 for mine a few weeks ago on ebay. Box, empty sticker sheet and instructions included. It was missing a strut and one front gun. I also picked up a front gun for $10.

Reaction score
do you have the bomb? thats all i need for mine and on ebay it goes for like 30 to 35$ for both haves. i only took mine apart to fix the motor. those struts do indeed cost 10$ each with full assemblys going for about 50$
I've got a bomb with my complete one, but the only thing missing on the one I'm parting out is the bomb sadly. Those things can fetch some good money if you can get an original. Good luck!!

Reaction score
I'm kind of torn on parting out vehicles. On one hand people need parts (like me). On the other it just feels like a lot of parts, mostly the main bodies, will be abandoned forever sadly. If I buy a incomplete vehicle for parts, I usually just keep it around until I gradually see cheap parts to restore it. I also usually never sell them at a low enough price where someone may part it out again, just for the hopes someone will keep it. As to the Y-Wing, I need one strut to complete mine.

Yeah I hear ya for sure. For me it's a win win. I can part out a working Y-wing to people who need the parts and when I get down to just the hull of the ship, because it's still working, I can pass it off for $15 for someone who wants to do a build. I've got a buddy that buys up snowspeeder hulls and parts all the time because he just likes building and playing around with them. Different strokes for different folks. It takes more time, but you can make more money parting out certain ships too. This working Y-wing, complete other than the bomb, would sell for somewhere in the neighborhood of $75. When I part it out it'll all sell for somewhere in the $100-$120 range. It's more time for a little more money, but I like messing around with this stuff too.

Reaction score
I think the only downfall to the Y wing is if you need to take it apart for repair the stickers cover the crease. So you will have to cut them to open it up. Everything works on mine but there is something rattling around inside. It might be a part of the landing gear but it works good enough that I'm just going to leave it be.

Reaction score
I think the only downfall to the Y wing is if you need to take it apart for repair the stickers cover the crease. So you will have to cut them to open it up. Everything works on mine but there is something rattling around inside. It might be a part of the landing gear but it works good enough that I'm just going to leave it be.
I'll bet is a solid black imperial blaster

Reaction score
That would be great, I could also use a black princess blaster, lol

It doesn't sound like a weapon though. I guess SW collecting has helped me identify different grades of plastic by sound, maybe I have a problem :grin: I'll have to give it some shaking in the sunlight and see if I can get it to fall out the cockpit.

Reaction score
funny you say that. I have repaired all of my ships and every time I opened one, I half expected to see a weapon or another part inside. I did get a case before that had a couple of guns on the bottom under the tray.

Reaction score
They're getting a little crazy lately. I've seen them going on the IC for anywhere from $100-$125 complete.

The Y Wing seems to be one of those ships that sells all over the place. Not that I regularly track sold Y Wings, but I've seen complete ships sell from $40-$100. Sometimes more.