Palitoy inspired 3.75 inch cards for 70's / 80's Superheroes and 3D printed Chris Reeve Superman

Reaction score
Hi all,
Some may have seen my thread that I had posted in the Vintage Toys forum (probably the wrong place to put it).
I've been working on some Palitoy inspired cards for a set of 12 figures that I always wanted to see released from the late 70's / early 80's Superhero movies and TV shows that I enjoyed when I was a child. Primarily a massive Star Wars figure fan, I have used the Star Wars cardback design as the inspiration for these. Hope you like them. I'd be happy to make them for anyone who is interested.
I've also shown the work in progress for the 3d model that I've commissioned for Chris Reeve as Superman. I'm very happy with how this is turning out and think it's already a big improvement over the 7 inch Neca and 4 inch Mattel version.

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks jedimasterc.

Here's the Incredible Hulk cardback. Tough to know what to do for that because the TV show didn't really have many characters to use for an action figure line. LOL.

I've just got to do the cardbacks for Spider-Man and Wonder Woman and this really enjoyable project will be finished (at least the card designing part of it).

Attachments

Reaction score
These are gorgeous! The Superman one works especially well!

Any chance you could post an image of a blank card with just the silver racetrack and no logos or image? Please???

:D

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm afraid I won't be posting any hi-res images of the artwork - especially the blank templates. There are many fan made templates available out there if you want some for a custom project. These have taken many hours to do so please understand why they are "precious" to me and bespoke to my project.

Reaction score
Those are some great cards, really dig the Hulk where you have the transformation from Bruce Banner to Hulk, that's awesome!

Reaction score
Here is the finished render of the Chris Reeve Superman figure. This will stand at 10.7cm (4.22 inches) tall when printed. The yellow emblem on the back of the cape will be added as a die-cut sticker. The original cape emblem was sewn on top of the red cape fabric, so there didn't seem to be any point sculpting the emblem into the cape model. I think the die-cut sticker will be a perfect representation of how it looked on the full size costume.
VERY happy with how this looks. I am going to get it printed first to see how it looks. Adding the articulation for the arms, legs and head (basic 5 points of articulation) is going to cost an additional $300, so I want to make sure the model itself looks ok before I pay the extra.

Attachments

Reaction score
It just took me 5 hours to make all 12 cards (front and back). I'm thinking I won't be offering these as a full set but can offer individual character cards or 2 or 3 to anyone who is interested. The Superman figure will be available as a fully painted figure mounted onto the card for display purposes.

Reaction score
Finally finished the Wonder Woman cardback. This was the toughest of them all - trying to find approrpiately posed / sized images. My wife says that I intentionally struggled with it so I could spend more time looking at Lynda Carter Wonder Woman photos on google. Ha ha.
Here it is - the last back of the last figure card.

Attachments

Reaction score
I added the Kenner logo (and "LP" Long Playing Toy logo) onto all the cards for the US collectors that weren't "feeling the love" for the UK Palitoy versions.
"LP" logos are on the 1977 and 1978 cards, but I removed them from the 1980 cards (Flash, Ming, Superman II and General Zod) because Kenner had stopped putting it onto their figure packages by that date.

Enjoy and let me know if you're interested in any.
chris.king2@blueyonder.co.uk

Attachments

Reaction score
First test print of the Chris Reeve Superman 3D figure. VERY happy with how this is turning out. If there's no interest in these, I'll ask for the thread to be closed but just wanted to show how it's looking.

Attachments

Reaction score
NEVER ask for a thread to be closed, man! :) I love these cards though I'm not looking to buy, but showing them off is important to the community. I don't know why card threads often don't see the love from the community, but don't take that as anything other than what it likely is........laziness! That's some great work and you should be proud, thanks for taking the time to post and offer things for the viewer if they're interested.

Reaction score
your cardbacks are AWESOME!!! I been making some for TROS and few other SW that Hasbro has denied us.

Was the image choice and placing of Otis and Miss Teschmacher "accidently on purpose"? LMFAO. My HS yearbook had a similar misplacement of photos in a collage. There was a pic of our basketball team, obviously they were looking up at the ball possibly going through the basket over their heads, but out of view in pic, one player may have even been pointing upward too. Above that photo, they placed a photo of the cheerleader squad posed in a pyramid during a pep-rally. If you followed the guys eyes and the pointing finger, it was a straight line up one of the cheerleader's mini skirt!

seriously though, those cards look fantastic, takes back to my childhood especially Spider-Man. Too bad that show never had any comic based villians, maybe that's why it didn't last long, same w/ Captain America-- wasn't Reb Brown the name of that actor? Oh, you gotta do Shazam! and Greatest American Hero and 1980s Buck Rogers, original V......man, the more i think of 'em, the list goes on and on....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks R1G4R3PO!
It's been really enjoyable putting these together and I have to admit, the placement of Otis and Miss Teschmacher was indeed "accidentally on purpose" although I've had a couple of people request that Miss Teschmacher's photo is changed as they consider it too "revealing" for a child's toy! I pointed out that the same image was used on movie posters, magazines that were sold to kids at the time when the movie was released, but I guess times's have changed since then. I'll update the image for those who prefer not to see so much cleavage, but unless requested, the card will stay as it is.

your cardbacks are AWESOME!!! I been making some for TROS and few other SW that Hasbro has denied us.

Was the image choice and placing of Otis and Miss Teschmacher "accidently on purpose"? LMFAO. My HS yearbook had a similar misplacement of photos in a collage. There was a pic of our basketball team, obviously they were looking up at the ball possibly going through the basket over their heads, but out of view in pic, one player may have even been pointing upward too. Above that photo, they placed a photo of the cheerleader squad posed in a pyramid during a pep-rally. If you followed the guys eyes and the pointing finger, it was a straight line up one of the cheerleader's mini skirt!

seriously though, those cards look fantastic, takes back to my childhood especially Spider-Man. Too bad that show never had any comic based villians, maybe that's why it didn't last long, same w/ Captain America-- wasn't Reb Brown the name of that actor? Oh, you gotta do Shazam! and Greatest American Hero and 1980s Buck Rogers, original V......man, the more i think of 'em, the list goes on and on....

Utinniii

Reaction score
Times have indeed changed.
I watched Superman recently and was shocked to see a naked baby. Then I was shocked by my shock. It shouldn't be a bad thing but as a society, we have sexualized everything or looked at things in a worse case basis.

Your cardbacks are really cool. I'm an opener and don't keep them but I can still appreciate the skill and artistry involved in making them.

Don't be surprised by a lack of comments. It is something that is happening everywhere.

Don't let it discourage you from posting here. If you enjoy it and want to post them, many people will appreciate it (even if they don't comment.)

Reaction score
Here is the finished render of the Chris Reeve Superman figure. This will stand at 10.7cm (4.22 inches) tall when printed. The yellow emblem on the back of the cape will be added as a die-cut sticker. The original cape emblem was sewn on top of the red cape fabric, so there didn't seem to be any point sculpting the emblem into the cape model. I think the die-cut sticker will be a perfect representation of how it looked on the full size costume.
VERY happy with how this looks. I am going to get it printed first to see how it looks. Adding the articulation for the arms, legs and head (basic 5 points of articulation) is going to cost an additional $300, so I want to make sure the model itself looks ok before I pay the extra.
How do you comission a 3d sculpt? I have some original Non Star wars figures that I would love to bring to life, can you recommend a place?

Reaction score
Is the cost $300 or is that how much you’re paying for the added articulation?

Reaction score
It cost $400 USD to get the non-articulated version made that you see here. The $300 USD that I mentioned is an ADDITIONAL cost to get the articulation modeled into it (which I'm not going to do as there isn't enough interest in the figure to enable me to try and get back my original investment).
I got another quote from a different 3D artist who wanted to charge $4,000 USD for a non-articulated figure comparable to what I've had done so far for the Superman! Glad I went with the $400 version.

Is the cost $300 or is that how much you’re paying for the added articulation?

Reaction score
The run of Superman figures has started with the first batch being printed at the moment.

If you want one of these, email me for details at:

chris.king2@blueyonder.co.uk

This will be a VERY limited run.

Thanks,

Chris

Reaction score
I'm closing the list on these. Valuable lesson learned about spending a lot of money on a commission that turned out to be of little interest to anyone except me. Sadly. that means I won't be doing the other characters. At least I've got some nice cards to look at.

Reaction score
Here's my "rough" painted Superman figure (I'm no painter) on my custom Kenner Superman The Movie card alongside a "Smith Lord Creations" Kenner Stormtrooper carded figure. Their figures are professionally made at a factory in China but I'm thrilled to be able to say that my card is every bit as authentic looking and has a neater trimming job and shelf hanger hole punched. LOL.

Attachments

Reaction score
Jim Bowers from www.capedwonder.com just received his figures and cards. In his own words, here's what he had to say about them:

"Hi Chris! Wow! Wow!
Absolutely marvelous!!!!!!
Thanks SO much! What an amazing project!!!!! You deserve a rousing applause!
Your cards are absolutely perfect. I feel like I just opened a package from 1978!!!
"

Reaction score
These really are good.
There are some customisers on instagram, which might be the best platform for such a project.

I'm from England, therefore, the Palitoy logo is very sentimental to me.
I'm not sure I'm looking to order as my figure purchases are very select.
However, saying that, if I were to come across something like this in a store, the DC characters, along with Hulk and spidey, might end up in my shopping basket.