Out of the 3 prequels.. which is your favorite and why?

Reaction score
For me it has to be the phantom menace..
Besides the annoying Jar Jar..
The movie explained how the origins of Palpatine, Anakin, queen amidala,obi wan came to be ... and of course it also had a great villain with Darth Maul..
I enjoyed all 3 prequels as a whole..

I would rank them:
1. Phantom Menance
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Clone wars

Reaction score
Mine would be Revenge of the Sith. I love how everything comes together and brings the saga together. I love the dark tone the movie has.

I grew up with the prequels, ep 1 coming out when i was 8 years old and it was something i could experience with my dad who grew up with the originals ( who loves the prequels.)

I would rank them
1: Revenge of the Sith
2: Attack of the clones
3: Phantom Menace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'd choose Revenge of the Sith. I remember fanboying out when I was telling my girlfriend about it. Something that just didn't happen with the other two. TPM left me wanting, but there was enough cool stuff in it. I always say if it was made in the late 60s early 70s it would be one of the greatest movies of all time. I think George's mind was still in that era creatively, despite some of the groundbreaking achievements in his movies. Kind of like how some musicians get stuck in the 90s because that was the era that influenced them while learning guitar. I actually enjoy it now more than I did then, because I can peice it together with the others without dragging my dissatisfaction out 2 whole years. Much the same for AOTC. It had some very cool sequences, but I think I actually fell asleep at one point. Maybe through the icky Shakespearian fireplace scene.. thank god. But nothing beats clone and imperial hardware. That is the essence of star wars for me aesthetically. Something Episode 1 sorely missed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd say I, III, II. I enjoy them all as a cohesive tale, and rate them as such-like many I suppose, but something about TPM really was special to me being a fan from the very start of SW. Besides the bones we were thrown prior (Ewok films, animation, SE releases, SOTE), the TPM I really loved for a number of reasons, and still do. Odd as it may sound, it gives me this slight feeling of the classic era, meaning it scratches the same itch as the OT & the aforementioned EU bones to me, when I wanna watch the "old stuff". Maybe because of the era, and it wasn't directly linked to anything time wise, (AOTC & ROTS could almost be 1 film w/ a bit of edit/tweeking), but the release of TPM, the merch, the restaurant promotions, the new beginning, it was awesome when it was unleashed. We all knew what was coming, and yes ROTS is bad ***, but this opening chapter to me was the most special.

Reaction score
For me, Revenge of the Sith. I just loved seeing everything that episodes I and II started come together, in order to take us to the OT. It was a darker, more heartbreaking story, and i just connected with the characters a lot because of this. Also, it has my favorite score our of the PT,mso i think that influences me a lot lol.

As far as ranking I and II, it's difficult, because there's moments where i switch.

Reaction score
I would rank them
1: Revenge of the Sith
2: Phantom Menace
3: Attack of the Clones

I loved Revenge of the Sith because I showed all the inner struggles of Anakin and how this character became Vader, I also loved Obi-Wan disappointment in Anakin and his defeat of Anakin in their battle. It also showed Luke and Leia and set up the progress towards EP IV.

Reaction score
For me The Phantom Menace is my favorite. Its possibly even my favorite movie of the entire saga. I was born in 1984 so that means that I didn't get to experience any of the OT in the theater (until the Special Editions) so the only way I had them up until that point was the home videos. When TPM came out it ignited my SW fandom like never before and seeing a brand new SW movie on the big screen was a memory I will never forget. For me TPM also has the closest of an OT feel to it of all the prequels.

I would rank them
1. The Phantom Menace
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Attack of the Clones

GNT

Reaction score
I enjoy them all for different reasons but I'd have to go with Revenge of the Sith, it felt more like a Star Wars film and the dialogue wasn't as bad as Ep1 and 2. The first 2 films are very cringe worthy.

Reaction score
Revenge of the Sith would be number 1 by a very wide margin. Mainly because it's the only Prequel film you really "need" to watch if you want to get the story of how Anakin Skywalker turned into Darth Vader. There might be a combined total of about 10 minutes of footage from TPM and AOTC that pertains to Anakin's fall, but that's about it. And, let's face it, the less time you have to spend actually watching the Prequels, the better.

The Phantom Menace would be #2, because it does seem to have the most in common with the stortelling style of the OT and there are some fun moments. The podrace really saves the film for me; but not enough that I would actually want to sit down and watch it again today.

Attack of the Clones is easily one of the worst films ever made, not just the worst Star Wars film. Not that any of the Prequels will ever be considered great films, but AOTC is absolutely the bottom of the barrel. Nothing in AOTC happens because it is logical or makes sense or because real people would choose that path if they were placed in those situations. Everything in the film happens purely out of necessity to the plot and characters are driven forward into courses of action that NOBODY would ever pursue if they were an intelligent, rational person.

Reaction score
Revenge of the Sith would be number 1 by a very wide margin. Mainly because it's the only Prequel film you really "need"

This. Plus it's always good when the bad guys win :twisted:
Imagine just one prequel - ROTS with Maul in it instead of Dooku or grievous. That would be awesome.

Reaction score
I love how the previous two movies didn't lay the groundwork at all for Anakin's turn. It was a new plot created for the last movie. And all the elements of friendship and betrayal were also left for the last movie.

The biggest mistake imo was making Anakin the main character for episodes 2 and 3 (episode 1 doesn't have a main character).

Imagine a prequel trilogy where Obi-wan is the main character. Where he is the headstrong Jedi he was hinted at. Where he makes choices that spiral out of control and leave Anakin open to influence from the dark side. Him having to live with his mistakes and try to fix the wrongs that he created.

That's a story with depth and it's a story we don't know.

Instead we get movies where people do things because that's where they end up in the OT. The motivation is connected the dots.

Reaction score
All three are deeply flawed movie experiences but Revenge of The Sith works best as a cohesive whole for me. There are still way too many scenes of sitting around chatting in between the action and the way Anakin turns to the dark side is oddly swift. The films major failing is showing us NOTHING of Masked Vader in action (that's now left to Rogue One).

I do enjoy all three for what they are and taken as set pieces there are monumental moments in all three:

1) Love the opening with the Nemodians and Battle Droids, Pod Race, Darth Maul showdown is THE best lightsaber action of any film
2) Love the whole Zam Wessel assassin vibe at the start, Obi Wan Vs Jango in the rain and Jango's sonic booms chase is fantastic, Arena Monsters is cool (Padme's outfit!)
3) First half an hour is as good as any Star Wars action, The Emporer is a lot fun in this movie and steals every scene, Order 66 sequences are cool

I'll leave out the lame stuff - we all know about it!

Reaction score
TPM I really loved for a number of reasons, and still do. Odd as it may sound, it gives me this slight feeling of the classic era, meaning it scratches the same itch as the OT & the aforementioned EU bones to me, when I wanna watch the "old stuff".

I agree with this... perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I was still a kid at the time, but I still think the overall aesthetic felt uniquely Star Wars. I never got that from the other two films, and the screenplay for those two was flat-out not good. Not saying TPM was brilliant or anything... but I at least find it to be a fun sci-fi/fantasy film, and I feel like I'm still watching something from the Star Wars universe. Also, the score was absolutely fantastic -- best of the prequels. "Duel of the Fates" is one of the best film compositions of the 90s.

So, I would rank them:

1. The Phantom Menace
2. Attack of the Clones
3. Revenge of the Sith

ROTS was such a disjointed failure on so many levels for me... I was very unhappy in the theater, watching necessary plot point after necessary plot point unfold with no mystery or intrigue, wooden acting, second-rate CGI in many places, cringe-worthy attempted humor, zero moments of suspension of disbelief, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes" (which is a self-defeating absolute statement), painfully obvious green screen acting, flat supporting characters, incomprehensible fight scenes... and on and on. AOTC barely ekes out a second place over ROTS, which tells you what I think about that movie. But at least AOTC had some cool moments in it (now I'm struggling to remember what they were).

Reaction score
Since none of these actually hang together as an entire film IMO I have so much trouble ranking them. However I did get most excited about ROTS (believing at the time that it might possibly be the last SW film we'd ever get so I kind of made myself like it more than I would now). But I'd say there is very very little in TPM that I could pull out or salvage making it anything like a film that I would want to put on any list. Maybe the Maul/Kenobi/Qui Gon battle but only if I completely ignore how everything else around it is god awful. AOTC has the entire opening chase through Coruscant that is ok and Jango/Boba hunting down Kenobi and those action scenes are ok but again pretty empty otherwise. ROTS's opening is fun but even that ends with the dud of all the heartless banter between Kenobi/Anakin once they board the ship. And then we get into the worst part: Anakin's fall to the dark side because of a dream and then the promise of a way to save his wife that turns out not to exist but that he goes along with anyway even though the ONLY person he can legitimately say has lied to him has been Palpatine to his face about having the way to save her...which he then admits he didn't but still needs to find. But nooooo, it was the Jedi who lied to him, right? Sigh. So on that flimsy premise from the mouth of a liar he kills everyone he can find including kids. Ugh! And the final "cool looking" battle in the lava is totally tainted by terrible dialogue that tries to force Anakin's "logic" about turning to the dark side down our throats. And it ends by turning Vader into a cheesy Frankenstein's monster when he finds out his wife died of a broken heart.

By that logic I'd almost have to put AOTC at the top of my list but if I had to watch them it would probably be:
ROTS (for the lack of Jar Jar maybe??? and the memory I have of getting pumped for opening night)
AOTC
TPM

Reaction score
TPM: introduce "padme's Militarization" of peaceful culture + "qui-gon's Defiance" of authority.

AOTC: apply darkside "slippery slope" to both --> militarization of Galaxy, against padme's wishes, by padme's proxy (jar jar) acting out of fear; defiance of Galactic authority, against qui-gon's wishes, by qui-gon's proxy (dooku) acting out of anger.

ROTS: make anakin choose: anakin chooses the "padme" position --> swears allegiance to "militarization" --> (but loses her, because of darkside slippery slope) --> padme + darkside = Empire.

((note: padme created the empire -- militarization was HER idea -- anakin just took it 'too far')).

-======-

^^ this is one arc. it was a mistake to present it in pieces, with 3 years in between each chapter, disguising them as individual "movies".

it's a single story. and it's hard to choose a favorite "chapter" of a single story. if pressed, I would choose chapter one.

chapter one introduces the root origin of BOTH the "empire" and the "Rebellion" -- (before slippery slope is applied) -- it is the Origin Story, for the Empire Itself.

((anyone who thinks this trilogy was supposed to be the "origin of vader", (and thereby discounts anything not-related-to-'anakin' as being irrelevant), is missing the point -- it's really the "origin of the empire" -- padme thought it up, in TPM: "Militarization" was HER idea -- and the audience took the bait, hook line & sinker -- the audience swallowed it whole, AND, agreed with it).

^^ this alone, is brilliant : GL made us 'agree' with the root-origin of the Empire(?!) :wtf: --> TPM wins. B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's funny how people change their minds, especially when discussing the movies with others. When the prequels came out, a lot, if not most people loved them. They were the first Star Wars movies since the 80s. The theaters were packed, and the lines incredibly long. People would wait for hours and hours to watch the movies, and would watch them over and over. Episodes I, II, and III might have more flaws than the original trilogy. Hence, all the hate, especially by many Star Wars fans. We tend to over-analyze everything Star Wars. We take Star Wars very seriously. At the same time, I would say that a big part of the hate comes from people who grew up with the OT and love it so much that they love to hate the prequels because those movies don't "feel" like Star Wars movies. I know, because I grew up with the OT. I'm not saying I hate the prequels, but I can understand why so many "OT lovers" don't like them. However, I can sit down and watch all (now seven) episodes and Rogue One, be very critical of them, and find lots of flaws in all of them. I've actually done this more than once. It's incredible how many faults I could find even in the OT if I set aside my nostalgia. I've done the opposite too, trying to mostly see the good and enjoy each one. I tell you something, it is possible to like them all. To varying degrees, but I believe that they are all enjoyable. Off the top of my head, the things I dislike the most of all of the first six movies are: (1) Padme's death. There are some good theories out there about Padme's death, which can fill in the gaps. She certainly didn't lose the will to live in the sense that she just didn't want to live. This makes no sense, regardless what the official explanation may be. I always bring up the fact that she had just given birth to two babies and believed that there was still good in Anakin. The droid just didn't know what was going on, so that's the best explanation it could come up with, from what it saw. (2) Luke and Leia are siblings. Luke's line "Leia. Leia is my sister" makes very little sense to me. There was no indication that he ever thought she was his sister, and they were both strong with the Force. But Leia says that somehow she had always known. Really? And you kissed Luke? I know that Lucas decided not to make more movies at the time. But this decision had its consequences and affected the plot. Still, all of this can be rationalized to make sense. :)

My ranking of the prequels, based purely on enjoyment, setting aside mediocre dialogue, acting, and cgi:
(1) Revenge of the Sith: the darkest, I love Darth Sidious, Grievous is kind of cool, Anakin killing the Separatists meshed with Palpatine's announcement of the new galactic Empire, the lightsaber battles
(2) Attack of the Clones: the mystery regarding the clones, the Separatists' army, and Sidious; the battle of Geonosis; Obi-Wan vs Jango on Kamino
(3) The Phantom Menace: the beginning sequence with the Jedi and the doids; Palpatine manipulating everyone, including Padme and the Trade Federation; Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Maul

Reaction score
I can never get enough of The Phantom Menace.

It still has the best and fun story-line since A New Hope and I love seeing the galaxy before Palpatine became Chancellor.

I enjoy the music, the Ben-Hur chariot podracing scene, the tusken raiders, Darth Maul, a young and impatient Obi-Wan, a Toshiro Mifune Qui-Gon Jinn, and the Duel of Fates theme/fight.

It has a A New Hope ending celebration and I like the 35MM camera integration between the OT and the soon to be PT.

Reaction score
Episode III...for most of the reasons everyone mentioned already. I think George went darker than we're used to seeing. I think it's his 2nd best SW as director after A New Hope

Reaction score
The Phantom Menace. I know it has it's faults and I understand why some people did not like it... but it has a special place in my heart.... more... the time,.. excitement of it... the first new star wars movie in 16 years. and I was 19 years old at the time of its release, and grew up a major SW fan... and Qui-Gon, my second favorite SW character of all time, Luke Skywalker is still my number one...but Jinn is not very far behind.

I wrote an article about it in 2009 when episode one turned ten, and shared my memories.

It's a good read,... mostly about my memories of the time around then, instead of talking about the movie itself. It was the first article I've ever had published on a website ,.. so there are a few typos here and there,.. but a good read.

I hope this is allowed... if not then I apologize very much..

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/2335/star-wars-episode-one-is-ten

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Phantom Menace is my favorite. Revenge of the Sith is a close second. Attack of the Clones a very distant third.

Reaction score
TOTALLY relate and agree w/ that piece, truly it looks like I was dictating & you are writing it, that's how similar our experiences were, other than the location, ..excellent work. The promotions were the same in my area, and I chased the exact same stuff, relentlessly. I had the web at work, but that was it-I did't get home internet til 2001. I remember one person at work had found the Sebulba cup topper from Pizza Hut and none of my crew could find it anywhere, so she got them for us, as we had the others (I still do of course). The Pepsi cans were awesome because of the availability, I had an empty set displayed at work and at home. I'd say we ended up getting a fix when wanted during it's long theatrical run mostly at a Taco Bell, they seemed to have the longest active promo run in the areas we haunted, and it was still just TB, no KFC combo. I actually bought the VHS collector's set at Suncoast, and it came w/ a metal lightsaber keychain via the preorder and it was still playing in the budget $2 theatre!!! First and only time I saw a film in the theatre that I had at home (other than SE run, but those were technically different). it was rainy Sunday, nothing to do at the time LOL. Good times man, good times.....
The Phantom Menace. I know it has it's faults and I understand why some people did not like it... but it has a special place in my heart.... more... the time,.. excitement of it... the first new star wars movie in 16 years. and I was 19 years old at the time of its release, and grew up a major SW fan... and Qui-Gon, my second favorite SW character of all time, Luke Skywalker is still my number one...but Jinn is not very far behind.

I wrote an article about it in 2009 when episode one turned ten, and shared my memories.

It's a good read,... mostly about my memories of the time around then, instead of talking about the movie itself. It was the first article I've ever had published on a website ,.. so there are a few typos here and there,.. but a good read.

I hope this is allowed... if not then I apologize very much..

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/2335/star-wars-episode-one-is-ten

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Phantom Menace.

Because of the Obi-wan Vs. Darth Maul fight.

And it's the only one with Liam Neeson.

Palpatine introduced as Senator is a real joy to watch.

Droid Control Ship.

The introduction of Battle Droids.

Naboo.

Naboo Fighter.

R2D2 making repairs in space.

More Tatooine and Tuskan Raiders.

Pod Racers.

Coruscant introduction.

Different quality to the film, lighting and overall soundtrack.

Musical score.

Probably the best sound effects of the 3 films.

The anticipation and viewing of the early online movie trailer.

Watching it in the theater four times.

Buying advance tickets.

Waiting on the Star Wars: Episode I- TPM VHS videocassette, yep old VHS box set.

Like Order-

I
III
II

_________

3- for many reasons including Vader/Obi-wan Duel. Vehicle battles, Palpatine being cool to watch.

2- Slave 1 shooting at a Jedi Starfighter, in an asteroid field.

Reaction score
Revenge of the Sith.

Has the least amount of protracted plot and dialogue and better pacing to tell the story than the others.

Reaction score
Revenge of the Sith is still my favorite of the 3 prequels... I think its the iconic lightsaber duel in the end, the fall from grace of Anakin, Order 66 and seeing Vader once more back on the big screen that makes ROTS the best of the 3 films.

Reaction score
Revenge of the Sith is my favorite for many of the reasons already listed here. However, there's a special place in my heart for The Phantom Menace, because I was ten when it came out, and it was a new movie for me. But as I get older, I see the practical effects still used in several scenes, and oddly the CGI looks leaps and bounds better than that in AotC, and I feel that makes it hold up better to me than it does for a lot of other people.

Reaction score
REVENGE OF THE SITH -- Sure, it has its clunky moments. But there is some truly amazing film making at times. The silent movie sequence where we see Padme and Anakin almost looking at one another across Corusant as Anakin makes a VERY bad decision is really pretty amazing. And effective. The Opera scene is fantastic. And it was a thrill to be on the BLOCKADE RUNNER again. Giving Threepio the last word was perfect as he had the first...