Other 1:64 scale Die Cast Cars (Greenlight, Johnny Lightning, Auto World, Tomica)

Reaction score
My love for the classic 1:64 Scale Die cast cars has been a part of my collecting background since I was a kid. In addition to many Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in my collection I also snag the occasional car/truck from other companies that perhaps have not been made by Matchbox/Hot Wheels. So this Thread will be for any 1:64th scale die cast cars that are not made the powerhouse of Mattel:

Tomica - Chevy Camaro Police Car

Tomica - Toyota FJ Cruiser

Tomica - 2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 door

Tomica - Back to the Future Deloreans from I & III

Warner Bros Studio Store Exclusive - Mad Max Interceptor

Johnny Lightning The Munsters Coach

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that mad max interceptor existed. I tried to search it on ebay but none are shown. I cant even find any information on it. It must be a petty rare piece.

Reaction score
Ordered a Tomica Jurassic Park Explorer (referred to as "Jurassic World Tour Vehicle" for some reason). Not crazy about the fact it has ordinary Tomica-style hubcaps, though.

Would it have killed them to paint the hubcaps yellow? It's also missing the passenger side spotlight and I don't really like how, for instance, the green just stops and the yellow starts, as opposed to one fading subtly into the other as in the movie, something Mattel got right, despite neglecting the red rear portion of the roof on theirs. Neither is completely accurate but at this point I'll file them under "Good enough" and "I'll take what I can get" after decades of no (good) Jurassic Park die casts at all."

And, man, I've wanted that Ecto-1A for years. Never got it, though. I daresy I like it better than Mattel's version, since theirs for some reason has the wheels kinda pushed in, a common design quirk with their Hot Wheels and Matchbox releases.

Also, am I crazy, or did someone, somewhere, release Back to the Future and Ghostbusters two-packs that featured the De Lorean and Doc's van for the former and Ecto-1 and an NYPD cruiser for the latter? I also swear I saw a decent die cast version one of the Joker's goons' cars from the '89 Batman.

Aha, here we go.

They also did one for Ghostbusters II, and it just with Ecto-1A and an NYPD car. And I could be wrong but it looks like a different cruiser in this pack.

I was also right about the set with Doc's van, although the van appears to be generic and doesn't quite match the distinct UCBC-van-on-a-GMC-chassis Doc had in the movie. Personally, I would've gone with the Libyans' Volkswagen van. Doc's van is a bit an odd choice for a second vehicle.

And last but not least, turns out I was right about the Joker goon car, too.

Johnny Lightning identifies it as a '77 Monaco. However, the cars used by the Joker's goons were a Spanish '72 Dodge 3700 GT and a '79 Chevy Malibu. But I guess any generic 70s sedan in green and purple will do. :)

EDIT: What the heck, there was just the one on eBay so I got it. Always did want a Joker goon car. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ordered a Tomica Jurassic Park Explorer (referred to as "Jurassic World Tour Vehicle" for some reason). Not crazy about the fact it has ordinary Tomica-style hubcaps, though.

Would it have killed them to paint the hubcaps yellow? It's also missing the passenger side spotlight and I don't really like how, for instance, the green just stops and the yellow starts, as opposed to one fading subtly into the other as in the movie, something Mattel got right, despite neglecting the red rear portion of the roof on theirs. Neither is completely accurate but at this point I'll file them under "Good enough" and "I'll take what I can get" after decades of no (good) Jurassic Park die casts at all."

And, man, I've wanted that Ecto-1A for years. Never got it, though. I daresy I like it better than Mattel's version, since theirs for some reason has the wheels kinda pushed in, a common design quirk with their Hot Wheels and Matchbox releases.

Also, am I crazy, or did someone, somewhere, release Back to the Future and Ghostbusters two-packs that featured the De Lorean and Doc's van for the former and Ecto-1 and an NYPD cruiser for the latter? I also swear I saw a decent die cast version one of the Joker's goons' cars from the '89 Batman.

Aha, here we go.

They also did one for Ghostbusters II, and it just with Ecto-1A and an NYPD car. And I could be wrong but it looks like a different cruiser in this pack.

I was also right about the set with Doc's van, although the van appears to be generic and doesn't quite match the distinct UCBC-van-on-a-GMC-chassis Doc had in the movie. Personally, I would've gone with the Libyans' Volkswagen van. Doc's van is a bit an odd choice for a second vehicle.

And last but not least, turns out I was right about the Joker goon car, too.

Johnny Lightning identifies it as a '77 Monaco. However, the cars used by the Joker's goons were a Spanish '72 Dodge 3700 GT and a '79 Chevy Malibu. But I guess any generic 70s sedan in green and purple will do. :)

EDIT: What the heck, there was just the one on eBay so I got it. Always did want a Joker goon car. :)
have all of these actually (minus the JP Explorer). The BTTF set is a nice set if you can find one for cheap. back in 2015 they were going for $100+(also its the only way you can get Doc Brown van) and 2016 saw the Ecto-1A set run around $200+

the newer version of the Ecto-1A set is better in regards to details on the car but the Hot Wheels in scale wise is far superior. also the original Ghostbusters set featured the wrong style Police cruiser as they used a Crown Victoria instead of a Dodge Monaco. However the new set while it does have the correct model police car it has the wrong police precinct tempo for the car (yes I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd when it comes to details). Greenlight released the correct Dodge Monoco Police Car with the correct Police Precinct tempo ( but the scale of Greenlight to Johnny Lightning to Hot Wheels is off with Greenlight being slightly larger)

the Joker Goon car comes in 2 different paint schemes. One has bullet holes on the car and the other is clean. I really wish they made the second version of the Joker Goon car as well. there were 2 different cars the Monoco and the 1978 Dodge 3700 GT sedan. Now that would be a cool Johnny Lightning 2 pack - include the '89 Batmobile, the armored shielding and 2 of the Joker Goon cars with mini figures of Batman, the Joker and 2 Goons.

I'd also love to see Johnny Lightning tackle the 1950 Roadmaster cars that are used by Two Face in Batman Forever. We got a 5 pack of diecast cars from Ertl when Batman Forever hit the screens in 1995 but we never got the Buicks driven by Two Face's gang... instead we got an Armored Bank Car and a Riddler Car (not seen on the screen) as well as the Batmobile, Batwing and Batboat

Reaction score
I really wish they made the second version of the Joker Goon car as well. there were 2 different cars the Monoco and the 1978 Dodge 3700 GT sedan.
AFAIK the second Joker goon car is a Chevy Malibu. They used that and the 3700 GT. I checked IMCDb and there isn't a Dodge Monaco in the movie, just the 3700 GT and Malibu goon cars. JL seems to have used the Monaco because it's "close enough" to the 3700 GT.

I also just realized that for some stupid reason the Mr. Stay Puft set includes Ecto-1A, not Ecto-1, complete with the "We're Back!" sign and Ghostbusters II movie logo. What.

Last edited:
Reaction score
AFAIK the second Joker goon car is a Chevy Malibu. They used that and the 3700 GT. I checked IMCDb and there isn't a Dodge Monaco in the movie, just the 3700 GT and Malibu goon cars. JL seems to have used the Monaco because it's "close enough" to the 3700 GT.

I also just realized that for some stupid reason the Mr. Stay Puft set includes Ecto-1A, not Ecto-1, complete with the "We're Back!" sign and Ghostbusters II movie logo. What.
I wonder if perhaps Johnny Lightning took cues from the AMT model kit that featured a Joker Goon Car/ Gotham City Police Car model of the Monaco? could explain why Johnny Lightning released the Joker goon car as a Monaco some 20 years later.

Yeah for some reason Johnny Lightning never made the standard Ecto-1. The 1st version was actually the Mattel Hot Wheels version of the iconic car. Here's a quick pic of Ecto collection featuring Johnny Lightning, Fuji Film and Hot Wheels:

My ecto collection has since grown ( I think I took this pic about 3 years ago) also Johnny Lightning released the Ecto in various colors as well including silver, orange/gold/green and a turquoise color as well. plus there were various releases featuring minor changes

Last edited:
Reaction score
found two more unique cars to the Johnny Lightning series:

Herbie the Love Bug - super dirty

Herbie the Love Bug - Junkyard version

more detailed than the standard Hot Wheels version and more realistic as well.

also was going through one of my son's car bins and found this Maisto Jeep Jeepster in the pile of Matchbox and Hot Wheels:

Johnny Lightning Frightning Lightnings Meat Wagon:

Reaction score
while not 1:64th scale I did manage to pick up this awesome 1:50th Scale Corgi GM "Fishbowl" Transit bus and it works well with 1:64th scale hot wheels cars (close to scale but still off sadly)

pictured with a Hot Wheels Rolls Royce for scale

Reaction score
I know it's not 1:64 but Costco and I think other similar places like Sam's Club have been getting a pallet of Maisto Special Edition 1:18 scale die cast cars. They're only $15 and they have really nice details like detailed interiors (detailed dash, center console, and seats, etc), opening hoods and doors, disc brake details, etc. Recently, I got a Lamborghini and a Bugatti. Saw lots of American sports cars and muscle cars as well.

Reaction score
Racing Champions Scooby Doo Mystery Machine - this is one a very close depiction of the how the classic van looks in the live action movies starring Sarah Michelle Geller and Freddie Prince Jr. I'm going custom paint this one to look closer to the actual van used in the movies:

Reaction score
Found M2 Machines PEZ themed vehicles at Walmart (their exclusive). Bought the VW delivery van with the Vargas-like babe on the side.