OT: Living in Rochester

Reaction score
Hey All,

So, I have a job interview at SUNY Brockport next week and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the area. My wife is terrified at the prospect of moving there, but we do live in Santa Barbara!

Any thoughts on raising a family in either Rochester or Brockport? Education? Daily life? Crime? Culture?

Reaction score
Education: We have great colleges and universities in and around Rochester such as University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology (Which I attend) St. John Fisher, Nazareth, and the great Suny Schools as well. The public schools are really good around here as well and we have great private schools such as McQuaid Jesuit

The Daily Life and Culture here is pretty good as well but probably not as good as CA! We have great day trip destination and Canada is only an hour away! There's a ton to do in and around Rochester and it's pretty hard to be bored in my opinion. We have the International Jazz Festival and other festivals too!

I personally love Rochester but I'm sure others here can chime in!

Reaction score
Plus we do not have nearly the same number of natural disaters that CA gets yearly. Once you get used to the snow its a piece of cake. Though you might want to get 4 snow tires on the car that first winter for the learning curve.

Reaction score
Here is a link to Zillow.com Just type in an area or address and get the stats on the location (crime, housing, shopping...and so on).

From what I know of Brockport it's mainly a college town...basic established shopping/entertainment....and about 25/30 minutes to the city.
You may want to look at Henrietta, Rush, Wheatland....nice areas and not that far of a commute to Brockport.

good luck.

Reaction score
As for raising a family....

....here are some places to check out......Rochester is very family oriented.

George Eastman House - Film
Rochester Philharmonic - Music
Strong Museum/Science Centre - Family
Planetarium - Family
Seneca Park Zoo - Family
Park Ave. - Artistic Venue
Charlotte Beach - Family
3 Shopping Malls - Family
Mendon Ponds Park - Family
Durand Park - Family
Seabreeze Amusement Park - Family

I know I'm missing a whole bunch of other places....but this is what I could list in 30 seconds.

Reaction score
Living in Rochester? What more could you want? You've got us!

Star Wars geeks. Star Wars MINIS geeks. oh.. and snow.

I've lived here all my life. it's a great town.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'm still waiting to find out if they want to hire me.

What would you say is the youngest/hippest neighborhood in Rochester? Is it Park Ave? The richest is Pittsford, is that right?

My wife may visit, and I want her to see the best.

Also, since I'm from Boston, what is the Mets/Yankees fan ratio out there? I have no beef with any NY state team except for the Yankees.

Reaction score
Park Ave is really nice place in the city and Pittsford and Victor are really nice!

I'm a Yankee fan myself and I go to a few games every year and saw Jay-Z perform at the Parade after we won!!!

Reaction score
youngest and hippest?

Off Avenue D...

It's young, it's hip. Average age keeps getting younger all the time.

THAT's meant to be a JOKE. especially for those that know the area. It's not a place to be seen after night fall. Heck, not to be in during daylight either.... BAD area.

Reaction score
My driving instructor took our car there one morning... to change our tires...

Reaction score
Well, I'm moving to Brockport! I got the job and we are going. Thank you all for your help and input.

Reaction score
Glad to hear! You might be able to meet everyone at some point after you arrive....

Reaction score
Congrats! How are you going to be moving your collection?!

We do need to have a meeting, someone can explain where everyone went!

Reaction score
Quick Question:

If you were moving with your family to the area, would you choose to live in Pittsford or Brighton? We love their school systems, but we can't figure out if one is better than the other.

thanks!

Reaction score
We lived in Brighton for 3 years...EXCELLENT schools.....but didn't want to live there for the next 30+ years. We wanted a larger yard and to be a bit farther from the city.....plus Monroe Ave is a driving nightmare during peak times (lunch/dinner/weekends/LPGA).

Pittsford going towards Mendon/Thruway is pretty nice....rolling hills and plenty of ample space to raise your family. Check out Pepperwood Court 14534 (new housing) very nice area.

Reaction score
Pittsford schools are a strong rival to Brighton.....of course you could always look into the Harley School or Allendale Columbia (both are private schools)in the 14618 area of Brighton........if you want the best of both ~ Pittsfords' housing w/Brightons' education.

Reaction score
Sithology_101 said:
Pittsford schools are a strong rival to Brighton.....of course you could always look into the Harley School or Allendale Columbia (both are private schools)in the 14618 area of Brighton........if you want the best of both ~ Pittsfords' housing w/Brightons' education.
Don't forget my old high school McQUAID! It's pretty much the best place ever!

Reaction score
If you work in Brockport, you might want to live out that way. Pittsford/Brighton is more on the east side of the county while Brockport is on the western edge. You're looking at about 30 minutes one way.

Reaction score
My son goes to school at Brockport, and he likes it.

I live on the west side of the city, and it's a great area to raise a family...we've done pretty well so far!

Reaction score
rnbuda said:
Sithology_101 said:
Don't forget my old high school McQUAID! It's pretty much the best place ever!
oh yes....go Mcquaid!!

....please keep in mind.....when looking at your daily commute......that our snow months can get really bad
(winter storms and heavy lake effect).......
....and if you choose to go ~out yonder~ in the Pittsford/Mendon way....it is very car dependent (2 car min.)

Reaction score
I live in Pittsford, and grew up just outside Brockport. It's not a trip I'd want to make twice a day. In the middle of the night with no traffic, it takes me at least 30 minutes, an average middle-of-the-day trip is at least 45, and a rush hour trip is generally an hour.

As much as I like living in Pittsford, if I worked in Brockport, I'm not sure I would choose to. I don't know how living in Brockport itself would be, though it is the sort of town I've grown accustomed to.