OT: LEGO Simpsons!!!

Reaction score
This has apparently been reported at several sites today. I'll just mention a few:

Lego Eyes Tie-Up With 'The Simpsons' - WSJ.com

LEGO Simpsons a distinct possibility - Bricktrader

Brick Fanatics | LEGO Simpsons

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I have loved the Simpsons for years! Sure, the series probably should have ended a decade or so ago, but the potential here is enormous! The characters obviously lend themselves tremendously well to the minifigure, and the possibilities for playsets are endless. If they wanted (and I doubt they'll do this), they could absolutely do a Simpsons village one building at a time, along the lines of their current winter village theme. I would love to see these sets by next January, but perhaps I'm too optimistic. Who else is ecstatic for this news?!

Reaction score
This info has been out for a couple days now on many multiple sites. I am a Simpsons fan but I find it odd that Lego is making a theme based on it.

To rehash thoughts that have been brought up, Lego usually chooses more kid friendly themes. Things like Moes Tavern, Duff beer, Duff Man, homer choking bart etc etc etc are outside the realm of what Lego would normally deem appropriate for a theme.

The point has been brought up that maybe a large part of it is that it is cheap and easy to convert standard yellow minifigs to simpsons figures.

Another thought that has been repeatedly brought up is that the simpsons is "past its prime" and it is strange that it being made into a theme at this point when it seemed to be more popular in the 90s. At this point it has a ton of other "night time" cartoons to compete with.

There have been multiple comments that maybe the Simpsons theme is just a bonus and the license that Lego has acquired will be a Fox license that could include a ton of other things...TV shows and 20th century fox movies etc. 20th century fox is producing the wolverine movie that comes out this summer. Maybe Lego wants to be able to create wolverine sets based on the movie to add to the superhero line instead of only having the rights to marvel comic superhero content.

I do like the simpsons but I just find the whole thing a little strange as a Lego theme. Hopefully everything works out and the sets turn out to be great.

Reaction score
That could be very very cool, I just got out of the Lego game (sold everything except my UCS R2D2) but don't think I could pass on a couple of Lego Simpsons sets :)

Reaction score
I find this rumor incredibly odd; doesn't a show like The Simpson's fly in the face of what Lego supposedly will or will not create as a theme?

Reaction score
I find this rumor incredibly odd; doesn't a show like The Simpson's fly in the face of what Lego supposedly will or will not create as a theme?

Somewhat, with cuusoo projects there was an official statement that said lego set themes have to be appropriate for kids ages 6-12 but that hasn't always held true.

I don't think it was a rumor, I believe there was an official statement...not that it is 100% guaranteed until we see it on the shelves...sometimes things get scrapped even in the late production phase, but it is more than a rumor at this point.

LotR are all pg-13 movies. I'm guessing lone ranger will probably be pg-13 with all the shooting and robbery. Indiana jones, the first 2 movies were only rated PG but today's standards are much more strict than they were back then. Today the lost ark and temple of doom would be easily pg-13 with the fighting and blood and drinking and swearing.

But, I feel you, like I stated above it seems strange. Maybe Lego is deciding to slowly start producing sets aimed at older kids and the rule about being appropriate for kids age 6-12 has been thrown out the window?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure if I would buy Simpsons Legos or not...... not that I'm not curious what they'll do. I wonder if this is a first step towards Lego designing around licenses meant for older consumers?

I feel like Futurama would have more Lego potential though its smaller fanbase would make that unlikely (unless anything on CUUSOO gains traction).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Odd.

I'd rather buy Futurama sets. I would not buy these. This is just odd.

Reaction score
I'm a huge Simpsons nut - got all the of the WOS and Kid Robot figs...but not sure how i feel about them in Lego form. The amount of characters are seemingly endless, but I'd have to see them to fully make a decision.

As long as it's not like this:
simpsons blocko | eBay

Reaction score
I just got rid of my World of Springfield figures and playsets a couple weeks ago. They were just sitting in storage taking up room and collecting dust. I would be up for this line though, maybe not all in but if they made The Simpsons house that would be a definite buy.
I don't see how this is odd though. Like others have stated there have been lots of lines that cover PG-13 films. The episodes are generally PG and 90% of the time the content and themes are kid friendly. Occasionally it gets a litte mature but certainly not stronger than a PG-13 film.

Reaction score
This info has been out for a couple days now on many multiple sites. I am a Simpsons fan but I find it odd that Lego is making a theme based on it.

To rehash thoughts that have been brought up, Lego usually chooses more kid friendly themes. Things like Moes Tavern, Duff beer, Duff Man, homer choking bart etc etc etc are outside the realm of what Lego would normally deem appropriate for a theme.

The point has been brought up that maybe a large part of it is that it is cheap and easy to convert standard yellow minifigs to simpsons figures.

Another thought that has been repeatedly brought up is that the simpsons is "past its prime" and it is strange that it being made into a theme at this point when it seemed to be more popular in the 90s. At this point it has a ton of other "night time" cartoons to compete with.

There have been multiple comments that maybe the Simpsons theme is just a bonus and the license that Lego has acquired will be a Fox license that could include a ton of other things...TV shows and 20th century fox movies etc. 20th century fox is producing the wolverine movie that comes out this summer. Maybe Lego wants to be able to create wolverine sets based on the movie to add to the superhero line instead of only having the rights to marvel comic superhero content.

I do like the simpsons but I just find the whole thing a little strange as a Lego theme. Hopefully everything works out and the sets turn out to be great.

Lego has and does produce products that come from more adult themes. Dont forget we have seen The Dark Knight and POTC in recent times, and although there is kid appeal from both, there is also dark tones to both too, somewhat like The Simpsons.

Reaction score
My problem is imagining how the Simpsons would look as minifigures. I hope they don't look too odd.

Why would they look odd? I think they'd fit right in with their yellow bodies and all. All Lego needs to do it get some sculpted hair for them, and some fat bodies because there's a bunch of fatsos on that show. :)

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I know that every one has different shaped bodies/heads in real life though cartoons are so exaggerated and stylized in their designs (or at least The Simpsons is) that fitting it into a one-size-fits-all minifigure body and head may look a little odd. Sculpted heads might work, but that would mean a lot of new molds.

Reaction score
It seems like an odd fit to me and doesn't really seem all that interesting. Unless they are beyond fantastic, I don't think I'd pick up any of the sets.

Reaction score
I will honestly be extremely surprised if this becomes a theme. It's just so......random. There's no other word to describe it. The Simpson's isn't exactly the most popular franchise these days, let alone among Lego's target audience.

Reaction score
Honestly they only need 5 sets.

School with Ralph, skinner, nelson and bart.

Car with Maggie and Marge and santas little helper.

Tavern with Moe, Homer (In alternate costume maybe), Barney, carl, and lenny.

House with Homer, Lisa, Burns and Ned, bart and millhouse.

Then have a wave of the bagged minifigs with maybe 12 different characters.

If it sells well. Another set or two and another wave of minifigs.

Reaction score
I will honestly be extremely surprised if this becomes a theme. It's just so......random. There's no other word to describe it. The Simpson's isn't exactly the most popular franchise these days, let alone among Lego's target audience.

Agreed, it seems so unlikely to me.
Its a timing thing, 10-15 years ago, I could have TOTALLY seen it happening, but not now.

Reaction score
Yes, timing. It's just so odd that they would produce a theme for a show that had it's hay day years ago. Even when we had cable, I could never remember when it was on. One of the few times I remembered it was Sunday, I tried to watch Fox and wait for the show to come one, but everything else was just so bad I turned it off and forgot to turn it back on. There was some new cartoon with annoying kids on it. Bad animation. Bad voices. Bad story. Couldn't take it. My luck it's probably not even on Sundays anymore and I put myself through that for nothing.

Now Futurama would be pretty cool. It's still got a good sized fanbase. I'd love to see what they'd do with a LEGO Bender.

Reaction score
Honestly they only need 5 sets.

School with Ralph, skinner, nelson and bart.

Car with Maggie and Marge and santas little helper.

Tavern with Moe, Homer (In alternate costume maybe), Barney, carl, and lenny.

House with Homer, Lisa, Burns and Ned, bart and millhouse.

Then have a wave of the bagged minifigs with maybe 12 different characters.

If it sells well. Another set or two and another wave of minifigs.

a Kwik-E-Mart with Apu
Mr. Burns' mansion
the power plant (or at least parts of it, Homer's work area, the cafeteria, Mr. Burns' office with trapdoor)
Krusty's studio
Principal Skinner's office
Bart's Treehouse
the Comic Book shop
Kronos' and Kangs' spaceship
the statue of Jebidiah Springfield
Mrs. Crabapple's classroom (gotta have the blackboard)
the Leftorium

There's 25+ years of history in the show. There are lots of possibilities and lots of iconic scenes.

I will admit that it's a bit odd, but is it any more odd than the Spongebob sets? That show is past it's prime by 5 years also, and they are still making sets for it. And Lego makes sets of tons of movies that go nowhere. Did you have to be clairvoyant to see that Prince of Persia was going to be a dud?

Reaction score
I haven't watched a new episode in probably 10 years but for the first 10 it was my favorite show. Kind of a bummer if this happens now because it's definitely too late. The show should've gone out before it got stale. Pretty baffled as to why this idea is being batter around now.

Reaction score
I wonder if it's age thing. I mean if we've watched all 20 plus years of the show, it's bound to have it's ups and downs, and certain things might not be as funny to us as it was when we were younger.

But I wonder if there are teens and early 20 somethings watching this show that might be a good audience for the Lego sets.

Reaction score
This is definitely a new direction for Lego, particularly given their recent history of licenses, but I think this could be a very intelligent move. Yes, the show is past its prime, but you can't deny the fact that it's been on TV for almost 25 years - and it's still on. The show must be doing something right; Fox isn't running a charity for TV shows with crappy ratings. I think it would be very wise of Lego to invest in a property that has shown some staying power, and likely has a very large fan base cultivated. Lego's recent trend has been a lot of fly-by-night crap. Prince of Persia being the best example, but then you can follow up with POTC, HP and the current TMNT. With all the work they do creating and marketing a new line, I've never understood why Lego doesn't try to ride out some of these licenses a bit longer. Personally, I think they could have squeezed more out of HP and IJ, but apparently Lego thought they'd done what they could do with those licenses. So perhaps in the Simpsons, Lego sees an opportunity for many new sets over many years, instead of just 5-8 sets in 18 months. I think Simpsons sets could be created to have all the playability of the current City line, or the Winter Village series. And if you want to argue that it's going to be much more of an adult theme, I think Lego is okay with that too - they keep pumping out Architecture sets, and that line is clearly not aimed at kids. I think a Simpsons theme will draw from a broad base, and while Lego may be a little late to the game, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a line they could stretch out a little longer than their usual license.

Reaction score
I wonder if it's age thing. I mean if we've watched all 20 plus years of the show, it's bound to have it's ups and downs, and certain things might not be as funny to us as it was when we were younger.

Probably a little of column a, little of column b. I feel like the old episodes I loved still hold up pretty well, but I wonder if some of that is just the nostalgia of sitting around with my old high school buddies and drinking while we'd watch them over and over. There are definitely other things I loved back then that I don't find quite as entertaining now. Kevin Smith movies, for instance.

Reaction score
Pefect in a way since they already have yellow skin. I do have to wonder if they would have the standard Lego faces, or try to draw the Matt Groening designs. I imagine the sets would be a boon to people doing a Lego City collection.

Reaction score
^Very true. Plus, the characters would look ridiculous unless they had molded heads IMO.