Original Trilogy Collection

G

"...collectible new versions of the earliest Star Wars toys."

To me, that sounds like the "modern vintage" idea that has been floating around.

Reaction score
Yeah, also note they say "In addition to updated action figure versions of the most favorite characters from the first three films" meaning new figs in the same packaging

Reaction score
This sounds really interesting. I want to see Jar Jar in vintage form!

Reaction score
I am pretty excited about this vintage-esque stuff.

I hope that the availability is good.

I also wonder if it is just scheduled for the fall, or if it will continue after that?

Reaction score
Originally posted by Nameless:
When I think of "modern Vintage", all I can see is the terrible Indiana Jones line that are/were sold at Disney parks, with terrible sculpts, pointless articulation, awkward poses, useless accessories, etc. If Lucasfilm let that crap past, I pity what it allowed into the SW line.

Making new items look old is about the most misguided marketing practice there is.
<font size="2" face="arial">Dude, you have no clue. The original figures didn't have "awkward poses" or "useless accessories". Or indeed, pointless articulation. Bash the Indiana Jones figures all you want--they're pieces of ****. But maybe you should take a look at some actual vintage figures before you spout off like a ****ing *******.

I point you to some good places to start:

Luke Jedi
Royal Guard
Squid Head
Chewbacca
Threepio
Hammerhead
Greedo

I encourage you to find me the "awkward poses" or "pointless articulation" in any of those.

G

Well, Hmmmm. I am from the vintage era and do not see how the packages shown are Vintage Style cards. it seems quite boring compared to the true Vintage style cards. Even the Saga line can't create the excitement of seeing those Vintage cards. I also love the Disney Indiana Jones line. So, Who knows.

Reaction score
To me it simply sounds like modern sculpted figures of perhaps the original 12 vintage figures, or at least the main characters from the original trilogy in packaging reminiscient of the vintage style; basically a black card with silver logo and outlines. I think everyone may be reading way too much into Hasbro's wording about these figures. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
When I think of "modern Vintage", all I can see is the terrible Indiana Jones line that are/were sold at Disney parks, with terrible sculpts, pointless articulation, awkward poses, useless accessories, etc. If Lucasfilm let that crap past, I pity what it allowed into the SW line.

Making new items look old is about the most misguided marketing practice there is.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Nameless:
<font size="2" face="arial">I agree totally! If that's the case I'll certainly save some money. But, my hope is that they will simply be non-action posed (ala vintage) and packed in a very small blister (ala vintage) on that cool new black vintage-style card with no silly pack-in. With all the hype I'm expecting pics at Toy Fair next week.

Reaction score
You know, this is what it sounded like to me when I read it, too. I think it's gonna be Saga-style figures on OT style cardbacks.

Still, those cardbacks kinda rule. I hope they do the -real- ones, not just the black, but with the pictures.

Reaction score
Originally posted by plastic_heroes:
Well, Hmmmm. I am from the vintage era and do not see how the packages shown are Vintage Style cards. it seems quite boring compared to the true Vintage style cards. Even the Saga line can't create the excitement of seeing those Vintage cards. I also love the Disney Indiana Jones line. So, Who knows.
<font size="2" face="arial">I'm old school as well. These ar very much vintage STYLED cards. The only differance in the cards is that the actual vintage cards had a full size character picture inside the silver band that wraps around the face of the card. The modern version of the card has no picture... As of yet. Otherwise, the card front is quite similar. Now, the back of the card is anyones guess.

[ 02-11-2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: T-Bone Kenobi ]

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon:
To me it simply sounds like modern sculpted figures of perhaps the original 12 vintage figures, or at least the main characters from the original trilogy in packaging reminiscient of the vintage style; basically a black card with silver logo and outlines. I think everyone may be reading way too much into Hasbro's wording about these figures. Just my thoughts.
<font size="2" face="arial">I've been saying this all along. Hasbro has no intention to take steps backwards to make the figures look like they did back in 1980. These figures will be POTJ/Saga quality sculpting but merely carded on black cards with the silver logo and outlines. I think Hasbro's wording here is just overblown double-talk Marketing speak to make it sound like it's more than it is which in reality is just a packaging change.

And when you think about the fact that EPIII is going to be the darkest movie in the saga, I think moving the ENTIRE line to black cards with Silver logo and lines would make sense for the next two years for ALL figures -- but that's just me, I like black packaging.

Reaction score
While Im giving up collecting figures, I may collect this OT line, it looks very cool, very vintage-esque.

And Durge, I'm going to continue collecting Clone Wars animated style as well, just wanted to tell ya lol

Reaction score
Originally posted by BigDumbWookiee:
While Im giving up collecting figures, I may collect this OT line, it looks very cool, very vintage-esque.

And Durge, I'm going to continue collecting Clone Wars animated style as well, just wanted to tell ya lol
<font size="2" face="arial">Thanks for letting me know BDW.
I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up your figures, but I know you are going on to bigger and better (and more expensive
) things.

Reaction score
Wow! I sure do like the "new" look.

Though I am surprised that they don't plan on going with gigantic photos on the cards though. To me the Vintage was all about those way cool photos. As a kid, I even used to save the cards and covered a whole wall in my fort under the basement stairs. . .

Now that it's pretty much confirmed that The Original Trilogy Collection will consist of twelve figures. . . I got to thinking. Wouldn't it be totally awesome if they re-issued that spiffy Vintage mail-away stand with the grey plastic base and cardboard backdrop? (The one with the bizarre "spinning" action.) I mean, it'd make total sense as they are trying to recapture that original Vintage magic. And Hasbro seems to love trotting out the old school molds as often as they can. . . Plus, that stand WAS convieniently made to hold twelve figures. . . Looking back, it's so niave in scope that it's charming. "Collect All Twelve Figures." Heh, heh, heh. Only twelve. I mean, who knew?

Of course this will probably never happen, but it sure is fun to dream just a little. Heck, they could even really throw everybody a bone and do it as a mail-away (More retro Vintage fun there!) Send in all twelve proofs of purchase and they ship out to you the stand --- in a plain white mailing box. (Drool!) It might -- just might -- soothe some of the rough edges left over from the whole Jedi Points auction fiasco.

[ 02-11-2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: MARK2D2 ]

Reaction score
How many out there remember the early bird set?

Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Chewbaca
Artoo-Detoo

These were the first four figures promoted when Kenner first announced the original figure line back in 1977. Hasbro should do modern resculps of these in vintage packaging, with the original logo followed by the first four figures from Empire in 1980 and Jedi in 1983. Three waves+four per wave=twelve figures in all.

[ 02-11-2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: captmiloman ]

D. Martin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Originally posted by Imrahil2001:
Pretty blah. The X-Wing looks like dump.
<font size="2" face="arial">nothing please you lot, does it?

Reaction score
I dunno. If they were gonna do vintage, why didn't they just do vintage? The Star Wars logo, in "silver"? Not this, which looks like a bad RoseArt logo screen-printed onto a pencil case.

Reaction score
So what's the scoop on these then? If it is a dozen figs vintage style, here's what I think:

1. Luke
2. Leia
3. R2
4. 3PO
5. Han
6. Chewie
7. Ben
8. Darth
9. Stormie
10. Yoda
11. Tarkin?
12. Emperor?

Any thoughts on who the first wave will be?

Also, will it be:

A) All-new sculpts on vintage?
B) Repacks [ie: Cantina Han] on vintage?
C) Re-do's of the vintage '70s figs?

Thoughts thoughts??

What about the flicks? You think Uncle George will tinker some more with them? (I'm talkin stuff like Hayden being in Vader's suit at the unmasking in Jedi kinda thing)

Reaction score
Well, two possibilities:

1. As you say Vintage styled figures (new sculpts or rereleases)
2. New figures on retro packaging...this would be the Dagobah Wave announced by Sir Steve

I'm actually thinking both are coming but there is enough grey area here to give evidence both ways

Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Cocky:
Well, two possibilities:

1. As you say Vintage styled figures (new sculpts or rereleases)
2. New figures on retro packaging...this would be the Dagobah Wave announced by Sir Steve

I'm actually thinking both are coming but there is enough grey area here to give evidence both ways
<font size="2" face="arial">Looks like I was right