Original Darth Vader Mold ?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Picked up this interesting Darth Vader piece from the estate of huge Star Wars collector. Unfortunately they are not around anymore and the daughter didn’t have much information about it. She said that her father always said it was some type of toy mold. Everything at the sale was insanely priced except for this, which was off to the side in the basement.

To me, it looks like the vintage Vader helmet action figure case. Any idea what this may be? If it is an original mold, how would I verify that? Here’s some pics of the item in question. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Picked up this interesting Darth Vader piece from the estate of huge Star Wars collector. Unfortunately they are not around anymore and the daughter didn’t have much information about it. She said that her father always said it was some type of toy mold. Everything at the sale was insanely priced except for this, which was off to the side in the basement.

To me, it looks like the vintage Vader helmet action figure case. Any idea what this may be? If it is an original mold, how would I verify that? Here’s some pics of the item in question. Thanks!
Sorry, here are the pics...

Attachments

Reaction score
What is it made of?
The front (Vader helmet) is made of some type of metal. There seems to be some type of clear brownish resin sitting inside the reverse of the Vader helmet. Also, there are some bolts or screws that protrude from the back.

Reaction score
My first impulse was that it was made using a cake pan, but I can't find any cake pans that include the shoulders like that. Does seem figure case related.

Reaction score
If it is resin, it might be a sort of bootleg, Someone putting a carrying case into a mold, and only casting the front.
The helmet is definitely metal. At first I thought it may be home made but its just so well done and looks industrial. I was also thinking, how would somebody cast that helmet successfully by pouring hot liquid metal in a plastic carrying case? I'm stumped. 🤔

Reaction score
The helmet is definitely metal. At first I thought it may be home made but its just so well done and looks industrial. I was also thinking, how would somebody cast that helmet successfully by pouring hot liquid metal in a plastic carrying case? I'm stumped. 🤔
One could theoretically use the same process that is used to make metal miniatures on a small scale, however I didn't realize it was made from metal before I posted that resin idea.

Reaction score
You put the collecting case in casting sand to get the shape/impression. Then pour the metal in the mold.