Opinions on collecting shipping boxes?

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
I was thinking about it today, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on collecting vintage shipping boxes are?

I used to think it was a pretty strange area of the hobby. I really didn't understand why anyone would want to collect rather plain cardboard boxes. I've seen some collections of them over the years though, and they actually look really cool on display! I thought the shipping boxes at the C4 auction rocked, even if they hadn't had the LFL connection. I always really enjoy seeing things in the hobby that I've never seen before, and there's not a whole lot of info on these available to the average collector. None of the shipping boxes I know of really fit any of my current areas of interest exactly, or I'd totally be buying them. Truth be told, I've been tempted to buy a couple of them anyway.

It just seems to be an area of the hobby that people either get, or don't get.

Tommy

Reaction score
I think having a collection of shipping boxes would be pretty cool depending on how you display your collection. For example, someone posted here, a while back, a photo of their survival kit offer focus and among all of their carded figures was the survival kit shipping case. It made the collection seem more...therough. On the other hand, if you have a dozen shipping cases all stacked on top each other in a corner its going to look like you have some unpacking to do. I personally would love to have a collection of 12 backs displayed around an original shipping case (the one with the blue LP logo).
right now, I have a couple of shipping cases taht I use to store miscellaneous items in my collection that i don't care to display (broken items, random parts, etc.).
Plus you have to consider how rare these cases must be. Probably 99% of them were thrown away 30 years ago.

Reaction score
I like the idea of sprucing up a focus collection or a cardback run with the shipping boxes (in fact if anyone has an ROTJ shipping box, PM me). By themselves though, I don't think they make the greatest display.

Reaction score
Shipping cases represent the physical manifestation of a dream, the dream that the case was still full. Because you know that a 12 back shipping case was at one time full of 48? pristine 12 backs, owning such a case has appeal for the aura that we perceive has rubbed off on the case itself.

Reaction score
I think acrylic would really make a shipping box collection work. Without a bunch of Oscar Cases, I fear that a large collection of boxes might look too desultory.

Reaction score
For the collector who has everything...

I think there would be very few people who have any kind of nostaglic attachment to shipping boxes. Small mailer boxes, yes... but not the boxes used to ship figures for retail distribution.

At best I think they would be an interesting way to keep & display MOC that aren't in great condition.

Leif

Reaction score
I do have a shipping box for my Speeder Bike focus. But a shipping box focus would require a lot of space ...

Reaction score
I display my X Wing and Snowspeeder shipping cases as box-flats in large A0 size toploaders.
These things arent in great condition anyway so slicing the box bottom tape wasn't a desecration in my mind especially when they are being preserved better now in my poster rack.

The recent limelight of the Luke Jedi POTF shipping case is a fantastic addition to a character focus, man id adore for a LXW example to exist.

marc

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
For the collector who has everything...
At one time I had over 50 of them but started selling them off last year. I probably have only about 10-15 left.

At one point I stored all of my carded figures in them. I put the carded figures in comic book bags and then filled the cases 48 figures each. Stored them in my AC closet in complete darkness over the past 15 years. Worked out perfect until I sent the carded figures to AFA to get graded 6 months ago. Now they do not fit in the shipping cartons.

Action Figure Cartons:

Ewoks Straight Case:

Ewoks Plush Display Case:

RARE "Villian" 3-Pack Straight Case:

I always wanted to have some custom slide bottom acrylic cases made for some of the better ones to display. I think that would look awesome!

Todd D

Reaction score
Honestly, I never really thought about this. I've seen several throught he years in other people's collections but I don't know of anyone who has a focus on it. Hell, I'd say go for it. Remember, one of the important things about a great collection isn't how much you have but what you have. This is an area that is pretty much untouched as far as focuses go and I think that would make a collection, over time, very unique!
Once you get a couple hundred of them you just have to build an addition to your house to store them... that's all
. Very cool idea!

** Nice set, Todd!

Reaction score
I really like the shipping boxes, at least as long as they are in a minority of the collection.
And just like Marc mention, in a character collection like in the recent Luke Jedi lime, it's fantastic.

But some are huge and very difficult to display. Thats why I really like the smaller
ones, e.g. the Speeder Bike boxes. And wouldn't a Speeder Bike box be great
togheter with your awesome Luke Poncho focus Tommy?

Lafos said:
I do have a shipping box for my Speeder Bike focus.
May I ask which one you've got Thorsten? For my own Speeder Bike collection
I've got a Kenner, Palitoy "Taiwan" and a PBP. Would love to know which else
might be out there

Mattias

Reaction score
I have a lot of modern ones (1995 - 2000) that I store my modern figures in, but I don't think I've ever seen vintage ones. That's pretty cool.

Reaction score
I've had a couple of these over the years but always ended up selling them off in order to fund some other purchase. I've had a couple ESB figure cases and a couple Micro Collection cases. My main problem was finding a way to properly display these without it looking like...well...just a box sitting somewhere.

Reaction score
Great photos. I think that is a very cool focus if you have the space. They look like they could be in some cool museum. They are definitely part of the SW collecting story!

I am just drooling imagining that those are full of beautiful pristine figures.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
As mentioned above, if the boxes are focus specific I think they can add to a collection. I have a small Glasslite shipping box that is specific for their R2-D2 figure, the item number matches R2's item number. It really isn't anything special to look at but it fits the focus.

As for the generic cartons, one or two can add to an overall collection but to collect them all takes major dedication. With items like these it just comes down to how much can one display without looking like a warehouse.

BTW, very nice pics Todd. You wouldn't happen to know of any R2-D2 specific boxes running around, do you?

Mike

Reaction score
In most cases i dont think these suit good for display other than like the picture below, That gives a good warehouse find feeling and the wish or imagine what could be in them!

StarWarsMuseum said:
Action Figure Cartons:

Reaction score
I have always thought it would be cool to add a shipping box to my collection. The first time I saw them was around '96 at a convention. Some of the dealers had kept their figures in them. I couldn't believe that some had actually survived. My plan for some time has been to start a ROTJ carded run and I thought a shipping box would go nicely with them.
However, Luke Jedi has always been a favorite of mine and as soon as I saw that box come up on ebay a few weeks ago there was no hesitation to click buy it now.

Reaction score
yeah. waiting for this picture to show up on ebay.

"for sale: lots for starwars figures. boxes have never been opened, so i don't know what's inside."

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
Mattias_Rendahl said:
And wouldn't a Speeder Bike box be great
togheter with your awesome Luke Poncho focus Tommy?
Yeah, it probably would look cool. I'd really like to find a Luke Poncho shipping box, but I don't think it was ever released as a single assortment case. Surprisingly, despite her staggering popularity, Kea was also not released in a single assortment case. I guess Kenner was trying to create chase figures.

Tommy

Reaction score
Mattias_Rendahl said:
For my own Speeder Bike collection
might be out there
Do you have a pic? I'm not much into collecting these, and I never really wanted one for my Speeder Bike focus, but your Kenner one has a bit of history and I'd love to add that one. You know who to email when you get bored with it... and those little baggies/Post its too.

John

Reaction score
I own a corrugated box company and you'd think it be a natural fit for me to collect these and I really tried but I see enough corrugate during the day

Jim

Reaction score
Michael_Ritter said:
With items like these it just comes down to how much can one display without looking like a warehouse.
I agree - no matter how rare or neat they may be the don't tend to display incredibly well (especially the older ones), take up alot of room, and all kinda look the same so it can make a display look junky.

I think, in general, collecting these is a natural step for collectors who are into production items and may be running out of stuff to buy. I kept a really nice C4 McLuke shipping box and I have it displayed (keep my MOC McFigures in it) in my room and it doesn't look too bad, but too many does tend to make it look like a shipping depot.

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Do you have a pic?
Couldn't find any picture of my Palitoy/bilogo "Taiwan" box, but here's the pics for the other two
(some info about the Kenner Morgue box can be found in my webshots folder).
I'll see if I can find the Taiwan box easily and take a pic later tonight.

JohnA said:
I'm not much into collecting these, and I never really wanted one for my Speeder Bike focus, but your Kenner one has a bit of history and I'd love to add that one. You know who to email when you get bored with it... and those little baggies/Post its too.
Absolutely John, you know I think they belong in your collection.
I'm sure we can make a trade further down the road

Mattias

Reaction score
IF its part of your Foci of your collection ... then sure, why not.

Otherwise, they tend to be fairly large in size (take up a bunch of space.. not that we all have space to give up easily), don't display that great overall, and most tend to be in beat condition. The cost of getting a custom acrylic case for it would be good $$ - at least $40+ dollars I'd imagine. If its something your gonna plan on keeping for a very long time, sure go acrilic. Otherwise, when it comes point in time to sell it, thats just added weight to ship the item, and enroute shipping of the acrilic case + shipping case could EASILY result in a cracked case.

I've got one Micro Collection shipping box, in very nice condition. If someone offered me decent money for it, I wonldn't really hesitate to let it go.

Reaction score
Mattias_Rendahl said:
May I ask which one you've got Thorsten? For my own Speeder Bike collection
might be out there

Mattias
Mattias, I also have the US Kenner shipping box. These Speeder Bike boxes don´t pop up that often. I guess the PBP is nearly impossible to find.

Lex

Reaction score
I actually like those, wouldn't mind owning couple of them.
I agree though, that too many in a display may look little funny, but still. Nice pieces of action figure history.

Reaction score
I picked one of these just for the heck of it about a year ago. At first I thought it was cool but it does take up space. Now its just used to store a bunch of loose carded figures. But for whatever reason people seem to think they are raelly rare or something when you show them your collection. I guess its something different to have, if you like them get as many as you can. If you have the room, it would be cool to see a full run of them if they were displayed the right way.

Reaction score
One thing about them... there's a fair amount of variety in the sizes, colors, and contents, which keeps it kind of interesting.

Leif

Reaction score
Tommy & Todd,
Sorry guys but i just don’t get it......
...they look like brown boxes.......
but if thats your thing thats great and good look to ya!

I think i am looking at it from the wrong point of view because if i fell over one in the street i wouldn't throw it away......
....but i will give you a taste of what my already very understanding wife would say when i tell her i would like to display this 30 year old dirty transport carton...... (sorry darling of course I meant ask her)
....she would say....

....oh sorry guys apparently I’m not allowed within 500 hundred yards of the house and am to speak to her via her solicitor.....
.....sorry.

Please guys I hope I am not being rude but the question was raised a few weeks ago about variation collecting and taking it too far – hello, alarm bells ringing.
Don’t get me wrong I think having one flat at the back of a display as a point of history could be ok but anymore – I don’t think so.

But hey, look on the bright side, I still don’t get MOC collecting so what do I know.

Dave

Reaction score
Shakey said:
Sorry guys but i just don’t get it......
...they look like brown boxes.......
You´re right, these are brown boxes, with a historical connection, esp. for vintage collectors. Everyone may have a vintage MOC, but who has a vintage shipping box, these MOCs where once shipped with ?!

BTW - Todd, was there ever a box just for Imperial Commanders ?

Reaction score
Michael_Ritter said:
BTW, very nice pics Todd. You wouldn't happen to know of any R2-D2 specific boxes running around, do you?Mike
Lafos said:
BTW - Todd, was there ever a box just for Imperial Commanders ?
Sorry guys, nothing has showed up for R2-D2 or the Imperial Commander as a straight packed case. I had/seen Warok, Romba, Luke Jedi, Yoda, Lando General, EV-9D9 and a few others that I cannot remember. I think that the only straight cases in the early days were the late release of Jawa/Sand People and DSC for Star Wars. Maybe even a 12-back Vader case. I had a full case of 24 for the ESB large promotional release of Yoda. That was it until POTF came out and then they started straight packing a bunch of characters at 96 per case

I remember buying an entire straight packed case of POTF Vaders and POTF Chewies back in the early 90's with 48 each in the POTF carton. I still have the carton today but they did not say Darth Vader or Chewbacca on them...

highstream said:
At least this one fits perfect in my focus
Thanks Todd!
Look's awesome Andreas. Love the large LP.

Todd D

Reaction score
What was the reason for those straight packed boxes. I mean Warok and Romba were common figs (and surely not "most wanted"), I don´t see a reason to ship these in extra boxes.

Reaction score
I only have the Spain PBP Speeder Bike Box still sealed. But I really would love to see a German Harbert or Clipper shipping box.

Reaction score
Anything that adds variety and uniqueness to a collection is a good thing IMO.
How many ways can you display carded figures without getting stale?

Todd, those pictures are sweet!
I never knew some of those straight-case figure boxes existed. That one guy out there with a Lando General focus just crapped himself.

Andy

Reaction score
i only have a PBP Figure Shipping case. so far the only one that ever turned up and i am lucky to have scored it for my PBP focus. it is notin the best shape but i am still happy with it