One more distraction before returning to my unfinished dioramas: Yavin hangar upgrades

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
In my Rebel fleet meeting diorama thread, I mentioned that it was the only diorama that was flooded and destroyed… Destroyed yes, but not the only one flooded! All of my floor dioramas were covered in water, but I was luckier than I deserve to not have had major damage to the Yavin hangar or the Lars Homestead. I’m still not even sure how they didn’t get ruined! The major issue with the hangar was the softness of the flooring and its supports underneath, so I bought a piece of wood and cut it into a series of supports to straighten the floor as much as possible. The floor itself had mildew poking up through the already too dark color that I had spraypainted it when I first made it, so I thought I would repaint it in the more accurate light gray color of the movie set. While doing so, I could also diminish the size of the “parking” circles under the starships. Here is a pic showing the repaint in progress, and you can see the right front section showing the mildew and dark color that I am painting over across the rest of the floor:
4E92C921-1E90-4AB1-9A0E-E371E6596438.jpeg
Those circles were not yet final, as you can see how warped they are. I used a template after this pic that I painted around to make a more geometric circle within the one pictured above. I also bought the ammo crates (payment boxes) from Hole in the Ground to have Han load on his transport vehicle. Here are the crates (I’m going to buy another set of four at least to add to these) after I finally achieved the accurate olive drab color from the scene, and wrapped stripes that I cut from white label paper:
8B5BC957-7EEE-4E58-853C-87A846539CC5.jpeg

Lo and behold, looking closely at the scene revealed that the vehicle transport body is exactly the same color as the ammo crates, so I used the extra paint I mixed to repaint both of mine, pictured here:
448B6B32-3397-4B02-A364-559E0432C526.jpeg

45C60F14-22D5-411B-8445-9A7F93B92019.jpeg
Another alteration from my original is a repaint of the generator towers with a blue/gray mix, something I noticed on a recent viewing of the movie, when Luke is climbing the ladder and the technician asks if he wants a different R2 unit. You can see the blue color of the generator in front of Luke’s X-Wing in that scene. Here is a pic of the repaint:

37C71C7D-137E-4FFC-8768-B699C337F74C.jpeg
And a wide shot of the entire diorama completed:

DC98C480-C46A-45C4-AD78-D53906417FA9.jpeg62DCE27C-C967-48A5-83CF-8FF59CD95DAF.jpeg
OK, back to the cloud city Carbonite chamber and the ROTJ rebel fleet meeting dioramas, I swear!

Reaction score
Once again, Louisiana floodwaters 🍋 are being made into sweet delicious diorama lemonade. First things first.....that Chewbacca....it appears that his head is different and looks great. What Chewie noggin did you use? All my SA Chewies are of him open mouthed, I think there might be an Early Bird version with that hairstyle (more combed) but I don't really know/remember and don't think I have it if I'm even correct about that. Second, nice detail touch using Han with the gloves for this scene. You don't want to be a scoundrel with blisters after loading all those heavy money boxes. "What you are lookin' at? I know what I'm doin'!" Indeed you do, Han. Keep your delicate digits protected.

Also, I love all the other details, from the silver energizer to the wires/floor lights, to the little orange gizmo with wheels that always makes me think it's a kerosene spaceheater. If this is a "distraction," I'm still loving it!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Ha, thanks! Shiz, I love your funny tangents, never give those up! Good eye on the Chewbacca head; that is actually from the bust up from gentle giant that I had lost an arm for, so I wanted to make use of his head!