OH Residents: Recards at Hartville Flea Market

Reaction score
If anyone from the Ohio or Pennsylvania region has been hitting the Hartville Flea Market, be on the lookout for recarded figures. I saw at least three tables with fake figures in the two hours that I was there. One guy had a recarded 12-back R2-D2 which was clearly fake. I asked him if the packaging was original and he told me it was. I asked him again if it was reproduction packaging and he told me that it was all original. It was "dead mint" and priced at an affordable $60. From the way he interacted with me, there was no way that he thought this thing was all original. The other two were being sold by an older couple. When I asked if they were original, the guy replied, "What do you think?"...with a smile on his face. Don't confirm nor deny. Fantastic.

So...here's a perfect example of what those of us that ahbor fakes are concerend about: not some dude faking figures to hang on his wall next to his reproduction Honus Wagner baseball card and his reprint Revenge poster, but someone outright lying in an attempt to rip someone off.

While I've never understood the allure of reproduction items, they've never particuarly pissed me off...not until some bottom-feeder tried to sell me one.

Reaction score
Good lookin out Bobby. I almost made the trip to Hartville on Monday myself. I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time until the recards made their way into the area. I'm glad I finished my MOMC run years before these started hitting ebay. With Yoda's Hovel and other crap ebay recarders in Ohio and PA, it's going to be harder for new MOC collectors to weed out the fakes. Especially if the sellers don't care if the buyers are uneducated enough to lose their money on recards. This just plain sucks!

James

Reaction score
How arent recarders charged as counterfeiters?

Texas Penal Code - Section 32.23. Trademark Counterfeiting

Class Be misdemeanor, ie $1k fine and/or up to 180 day sentence.

Reaction score
Robbygnz said:

In Ohio, from what I was told by a reliable cop friend, the person must have multiple copies of the same fradulent item in their possession, with clear intent of selling them as an original non-copied item. This applies to DVD's, music, purses and etc.

This guy only had one out for sale apparently, so he knew not to get busted by undercover officers. I see this constantly with designer purses and handbags that my wife points out to me.

James

Reaction score
SABRESEDGE said:
Robbygnz said:

In Ohio, from what I was told by a reliable cop friend, the person must have multiple copies of the same fradulent item in their possession, with clear intent of selling them as an original non-copied item. This applies to DVD's, music, purses and etc.

This guy only had one out for sale apparently, so he knew not to get busted by undercover officers. I see this constantly with designer purses and handbags that my wife points out to me.

James
Wonder if that happens only on the low end of the spectrum, ie $500 and less. Im guessing if someone faked an artifact and sold it to a museum, they'd be charging him for sure.

Reaction score
It's fun to get into an argument with sellers like this. I do it all the time at shows. The best is when they honestly believe it's a real item and you can prove otherwise. They look heartbroken.

Reaction score
Sharp said:
If anyone from the Ohio or Pennsylvania region has been hitting the Hartville Flea Market, be on the lookout for recarded figures. I saw at least three tables with fake figures in the two hours that I was there. One guy had a recarded 12-back R2-D2 which was clearly fake. I asked him if the packaging was original and he told me it was. I asked him again if it was reproduction packaging and he told me that it was all original. It was "dead mint" and priced at an affordable $60. From the way he interacted with me, there was no way that he thought this thing was all original. The other two were being sold by an older couple. When I asked if they were original, the guy replied, "What do you think?"...with a smile on his face. Don't confirm nor deny. Fantastic.

So...here's a perfect example of what those of us that ahbor fakes are concerend about: not some dude faking figures to hang on his wall next to his reproduction Honus Wager baseball card and his reprint Revenge poster, but someone outright lying in an attempt to rip someone off.

While I've never understood the allure of reproduction items, they've never particuarly pissed me off...not until some bottom-feeder tried to sell me one.
I was there on Memorial Day, but didnt spot any of these. I dont buy carded figures myself - I was looking for loose Droids figures and Comics Spain Ewoks figures. This trip turned out to be a bust, most of the SW stuff was from POTF2 and TPM, blah...

I'll be on the lookout next time I go though...any idea if the people selling them were from a toy / comic shop or if they were just individuals trying to scam collectors?

PS- I did spot a guy in an Imperial shirt, was that one of you?

Reaction score
Vintage_City said:
It's fun to get into an argument with sellers like this. I do it all the time at shows. The best is when they honestly believe it's a real item and you can prove otherwise. They look heartbroken.
I'd probably just feel bad in that case. I would tell them, but making a mistake is a lot different than someone intentionally trying to scam people with counterfeit items.

Darth_Sidious, nope...wasn't wearing an Imperial shirt. I saw very few vintage items this time around. I usually see at least some stuff, but this time all I found were a couple beat up storybooks and a half-dozen or so beat up loose figures.

I never expect to find anything that I actually want or need Star Wars-wise, however. My wife and I go to walk around, look through crap, and pick up the occasional book or oddity that we decide we can't live without. That and the people watching.

Reaction score
Geez, you guys: Hartville's a five-minute drive from my house. Next time you're coming down to the flea market, shoot me a PM.

Reaction score
I'll do that! Didn't know you lived so close John. Although, on Memorial and Labor Days, 5 minutes away could mean 5 hours away. The traffic is horrendous.

Reaction score
Is the 4th of July weekend usually any better? Apparently it runs from the 30th of June to July 4th, minus Sunday. I was thinking of going back on Saturday, which would be the 2nd... I'm really hoping for some better SW dealers.

Reaction score
darth_sidious said:
Is the 4th of July weekend usually any better? Apparently it runs from the 30th of June to July 4th, minus Sunday. I was thinking of going back on Saturday, which would be the 2nd... I'm really hoping for some better SW dealers.
There hasn't been any only SW dealers there in about 10 years. You can only hope to find someone that cleaned out their attic or basement and has no idea how to do ebay. You have to get there on a Holiday Monday at 5am with a flashlight like the toy dealers do. If it even calls for rain that day, don't bother going. I used to go every Holiday Monday(more setups than Saturdays) and then hit the NFL HOF after with a friend. It was great there from '90-'05 and then it petered out. The Amish Kitchen restaurant has great food but be prepared to wait 30-45 minutes for a table.

John, if I go in July I'm sending you a text!

James

Reaction score
What is the selection usually like? I may do a family trip to meet some of you guys and do some Star Wars shopping. I know Cleveland is 4 hours from me. How far is Hartville from there?

Reaction score
ImperialGunner said:
What is the selection usually like? I may do a family trip to meet some of you guys and do some Star Wars shopping. I know Cleveland is 4 hours from me. How far is Hartville from there?
Most of the items you're going to find there are either modern figures that are MOC, sunfaded and or dusty, or vintage boxed items in C6 boxes for ebay prices if you go any later than 6am. This is truly an early market. I would say Hartville is about 40 minutes or so from downtown Cleveland.

You'd almost be better off attending an OSWCC(Ohio Star Wars Collectors Club) meeting in the area and get stuff that is priced resonably, in excellent condition and meet fellow scummers/OSWCC members. You can check the site(oswcc.com) for meeting info on our message boards. We also have our annual summer social this July in Cincinnatti where the whole club comes together for a huge cookout. There's usually dozens of tables of vintage and modern SW toys available to buy.

If you're going to be near/in the Cleveland area, you might want to check out the store called Big Fun Toys in the Cleveland Heights district. RS member Sharp can vouch for the cool stuff they have and the prices are decent too.

Feel free to PM Sharp or myself if you make plans to come into the area.

James

Reaction score
How sad is it that I grew up around the Sandusky area and never once remember making the trip to Hartville?
I now live 4 hrs. from Cincy and have never made the trip to the old Kenner plant either

Reaction score
Hartville is worth exploring, even just for fun - I usually dont end up buying anything significant. You can get some good deals - and over the last few years, I have indeed seen SW only dealers, even this Memorial Day there was one, but most sellers tend to have a variety of collectibles...

Reaction score
But what if theyre just selling them not making any claim about them? Like theres the figure recarded or not with a price tag on it. I mean you COULD get said figure at a garage sale or something conceivably for a really good deal? I guess they arent required by law to provide any additional information about the item other than the price.

Like what if there was a "Vintage Luke figure" (and that was like the title) on ebay with a BIN of 20 bucks and it had a double telescoping sabre and the seller didnt specify if it was repro or mention anything about the lightsaber in the description? Is that like...scamming and illegal or is that just like unknowledgable? I guess the buyer takes a gamble bidding on it

In general what is the ethics of reproductions on ebay and for sale? If you see someone just lists STAR WARS FIGURES (as long as there is no attention to the cards or something) then isn't it possible that they COULD be reproductions? I dont even see how someone could get a negative or anything based on that.

Reaction score
Aside from the recards....

I am in Akron and go to Hartville every Saturday morning. I would love to meet and hunt for SW stuff with fellow SW fans. PM me or email me at CaptainSolo1979@yahoo.com if you want to hang out!

Reaction score
Re: OH Residents: Hartville Flea Market

Anyone heading to Hartville on Labor Day?