Official LEGO Ideas Thread

Reaction score
Here is a link
http://youtube/vdf_gFimdn8

Super 7 race cars and Adventure time brick built figures both passed.

Are these sets you are excited for? I won't be picking these up but I think there are some fans of the adventure time cartoon out there who will be excited right?

The first couple days of January the news blog on the site said we would get results in a few weeks.

We finally got results today, March 11. No info about delays. No communication at all. That is just one of a few issues with the Ideas platform that are being brought up by different people. Ideas is being run very poorly. Honestly I have lost faith in the Ideas team for multiple reasons that I won't get into any further here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I was watching the announcement this morning and was initially let down when they announced the race cars set but felt the Adventure Time announcement totally redeemed it.
As far as the race cars set, I see this being overall low interest which means production numbers will be low. They will initially sell out which will cause an initial panic on ebay but then when the dust settles they'll end up being $10 over initial retail just like the female scientist set.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Adventure Time sets could be fun - I just hope they aren't another (silly) Spongebob line or worse... an Angry Birds line. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching Adventure Time with my son but I don't know if it has any place in his LEGO box.

Reaction score
No interest in either sets but I know Adventure Time has a cult following....which surprisingly, didn't help the Big Bang Theory sales.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that Big Bang has a cult following - it's far too ingrained in popular culture. I really enjoy the show but can't see the point of the set. It's purely a display item, and has no real play options. That said, I display my LEGO sets and play with my sons (which he also displays) so I don't want to be told by LEGO that I am limited to displaying it because they didn't think it through. Perhaps if there were a couple of more rooms, like the canteen or the restaurant and a science lab so we could minifig cosplay out episodes... ?

Given my statement of cult vs pop culture I think I ought to redact my "Adventure Time is cult" statement. Ren & Stimpy is cult. Adventure Time is not, but it appeals to the same age and gender group that LEGO does so it'll work.

Reaction score
The results are out for the next Ideas review (January - April 2016) I really like the look of the The Old Fishing Store, and coming in at over 2100 pieces, I'm thrilled to finally see a larger set selected. I just hope Lego doesn't shave too many pieces off that for the final product. The set looks great as is.

Reaction score
The results are out for the next Ideas review (January - April 2016) I really like the look of the The Old Fishing Store, and coming in at over 2100 pieces, I'm thrilled to finally see a larger set selected. I just hope Lego doesn't shave too many pieces off that for the final product. The set looks great as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-48GOzZCAQ8

I'll paste here what I just posted about it on another Lego forum:

I like the design and it looks like a fun build.

With the approved model being 2160 pieces it is going to be substantially redesigned. We have never had an Ideas set of 1k+ pieces. I'm concerned that the final product will be a shell of the original model and that it will lose a lot of what makes it good.

One of the main things that makes this design so great is the lack of visible studs and the color used for the tiles that gives it an aged look. If the final model doesn't hide the studs and use the nice color variety of tiles in the roof and the walls and the decking, and also the nice brick look on the lower part of the model, it will be another case of "what was voted on is not what was delivered".

But I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep a hopeful attitude about it. The current design is wonderful.

Reaction score
Mmm, yes....I definitely agree with your thoughts Hutt. I'd be willing to break out of my normal licensed Lego-buying habits to buy a set like this, but I can foresee Lego doing away with the extensive SNOT techniques and delivering a more 'playable' model.

Reaction score
I really like it, think it's cool. I'd support it, but not possitive that i'd buy. Size/spaces issues, and depends upon the price. I'm not real big into Lego to get caught up into everything, but I do get a few small neat sets.

I'll think about it and register later to support possibly.

Reaction score
I don't have any idea if they would keep this large design or make a new smaller one. I just want a new Cloud city set. I mean we had one but it's more than time for a new and improved version.. They made a 100 Hoth Sets. I just can't see why they haven't revisted this. Hope this one happens!

Reaction score
I just went in and supported both. The I Am Your Father set looks awesome!

Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy but this will never be approved because it's a Star Wars set, Ideas doesn't accept projects on existing licenses (idk how this one got through)

Good model, but it won't become a LEGO set due to the rules :(

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy but this will never be approved because it's a Star Wars set, Ideas doesn't accept projects on existing licenses (idk how this one got through)

Good model, but it won't become a LEGO set due to the rules :(
You are that guy! We know it won't get through but showing support for it helps the LSW pivot their designs towards something that the fans are clamouring for. Plus its a bit of community interaction that Rebelscum has been lacking.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As well as the Voltron and Ship In A Bottle (which I'll definitely be getting) the other tidbit of LEGO Ideas news is that I Am Your Father has reached the 10k mark and will go onto review.

I know that getting this realised has a snowball's chance in hell,but I wanted to say well done to the Rebelscum community for backing this.

Fingers crossed SIAB will be the Black Pearl from POTC 4 & 5.

[Oh, and I've merged the Cloud City set thread with this so we have one Ideas thread.]

Last edited:
Reaction score
So sad Iron Giant and "The Bus" didn't make it... Fingers crossed for the Power Rangers set!

Reaction score
Count me among those that believe the results video indicates that we're getting a large Cloud City set

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ahoy mateys! The latest LEGO Ideas set - 21313 Ship in a Bottle - has docked a LEGOshop.com!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. Yaaar!)

I'm going to swap out the Leviathan for the polybagged Black Pearl set.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/LEGO_21311_Voltron_Announced_181150.asp

Over a year ago LEGO announced that their Ideas judges had locked down the round three finalists in the 2016 qualifiers and declared Ship In A Bottle, The Flagship Leviathan (later realised as 21313 Ship in a Bottle in the first quarter of 2018) and Voltron - Defender Of The Universe.

But since then there has been little news on this set - until now, because licensing deadlocks have been broken and LEGO are sharing imagery in advance of this 2321 piece set's release. Scroll down to get pricing and release dates!

Price: US$179.99 / CA$229.99 / €179.99 / DKKr1499 / £159.99 / AU$289.99 / HK$1599

This set will get an early access VIP release on July 23rd via LEGO brand stores and LEGOshop.com and then a global release on August 1st. It is believed that after a three month period of direct to consumer (D2C) exclusivity it will then be available at general retail.

Reaction score
I am so excited about the Voltron set. It looks pretty much perfect if you grew up watching the cartoon in the early 80s. My brother & I had all the original lions with die-cast metal parts between the two of us, but that just caused fights more than anything else haha. I love that the lions retain their individual designs like the green lion's rounded shoulders. I do hope the connections are strong enough for it to hold together well. Some of the Ideas sets can get a little sketchy in their construction sometimes. Also, I've seen complaints about the lack of minifigs, but did anyone really watch the show for those characters, or to see robots form a bigger robot and fight monsters!?

Reaction score
While I love the fact that Lego decided to give us Voltron, I will wait for an UCS Voltron, if it happens at all...

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will wait for an UCS Voltron, if it happens at all...
You're on the wrong track; that's not how Ideas work. Once the project has been reviewed, accepted and built it's done and LEGO won't go back to it.

But if they did I'd be petitioning for a UCS BTTF DeLorean.

Reaction score
I meant, based on Voltron's success, Lego might one day decide to have one of their designers build a UCS Voltron :) (just a hope)
regarding your UCS Delorean idea, count me in!!!

You're on the wrong track; that's not how Ideas work. Once the project has been reviewed, accepted and built it's done and LEGO won't go back to it.

But if they did I'd be petitioning for a UCS BTTF DeLorean.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sharing my 21316 The Flintstones review, just posted on Cool Tor Review.

http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/LEGO_21316_The_Flintstones_183176.asp

Originally submitted to the LEGO Ideas platform in early 2017, the modern Stone Age family has finally arrived - and it only took 12019 years to get here!

Capturing those heady, pre-Pebbles/Bam-Bam days, when Fred and Wilma Flinstone, along with their neighbours Barney and Betty Rubble, could go bowling, jump on a pterodactyl and fly off to Hollyrock or go to the drive-in cinema to watch the latest Rock Hudson movie whenever they wanted to, this 748 piece set is sure to be a popular one.

Enjoy modern Stone Age suburban life in Bedrock with this LEGO® Ideas 21316 The Flintstones collectible toy! A wonderfully nostalgic building toy, it features The Flintstones house and their iconic family car. The detailed house has a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, sofa, TV, coffee table, bowling ball and bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree. Build your own Flintstones vehicle that seats 4 minifigures and features a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element and an attachable dinosaur rib for creative play. The first animated TV series ever to be aired in a prime-time slot, The Flintstones cartoon was first broadcast in America in 1960 and has become an enduring family favorite around the world. Recreate hilarious scenes with the included cartoon character minifigures of Fred Flintstone, wife Wilma Flintstone and their friends Barney and Betty Rubble, or simply build and display this instant classic LEGO Ideas model.

• This LEGO® Ideas building toy includes 4 new-for-March-2019 The Flintstones cartoon character minifigures: Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble.
  • The Flintstones home features a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, curtains and curtain rails, sofa, TV with aerial, kitchen sink, table and phone, fireplace, painting element on the wall, coffee table with fruit bowl and fruit elements, buildable floor lamp and lampshade, crate with a bowling ball and 3 bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree, 2 flower pots, flowers, plants and 2 milk bottle elements.
  • Includes a buildable postbox with printed ‘Flintstones’ decoration, plus a letter element.
  • The LEGO® brick-built Flintstones car features 4 minifigure seats, 2 steamroller wheels, a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element, plus an attachable dinosaur rib.
  • This creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about The Flintstones, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO® designers.
  • Build and display this collectible construction toy or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic American animated sitcom The Flintstones.
  • The Flintstones Bedrock home measures over 4” (12cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
  • The Flintstones car measures over 2” (6cm) high, 4” (11cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.

It's a fun and interesting build that comes in two acts spread over six bags. The first part of the build is Flintstones's famous foot-powered car, and to be honest, if LEGO had just released this part as a standalone they'd be on the hit set of 2019. Luckily the boffins in Billund knew better and developed the LEGO Ideas submission to the max, and gave us the entire Flintstones homestead entirely built out of bricks - or stones, if you prefer. (Which is sure to confuse any German translating app trying to parse this page).

The iconic car is rendered perfectly in LEGO bricks, with the four half cylinder elements perfectly comprising the rollers. The log print on the steering wheel and the cloth roof is the icing on the cake, while the rack of bronto ribs is the cherry that rounds it all off and makes me want to slice it up and serve it with a cup of tea.

The house build, which is spread over the remaining five bags is a joy to construct. The details - like the fire place and the curtains - that are tucked away are more than sublime, and the subject matter being shown on the TV will put a smile on your face. A nice touch is the removable roof and the two "rooms" at the back which swing out to give this Cave 2.0 added depth.

The original pitch by the model's designers, Ricardo Silva and Crystal Fontan, had a number of features that weren't incorporated into the final build - including the kids and pet snorkasaurus, Dino, and most remarkably Fred's famous shnoz - but, by and large, these exclusions have no impact on the final delivery. In fact, the absence of Dino is accounted for in an Easter egg within the set. Head to TheBrickFan.com for an in-depth look at the two versions.

If this yabba-dabba-doozie of a set has caught your eye head to the LEGO shop@home website or your nearest LEGO brand store where this set will be exclusively sold.

Members of the VIP programme will get their chance to buy it on Wednesday (February 20th, 2019) while everyone else will have to wait until March 1st, 2019.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Steamboat Willie? Oh dear LEGO, oh dear. At least it's a chance for us to review this clippage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

And that Friends set is an obvious choice because The Big Bang set sold so well and didn't linger in stores and never went on clearance. Oh dear LEGO.

Reaction score
Psyched about the Steamboat Willie set, just hope they smooth out the final boat some. I like Friends but not enough to get that set for myself. My sister is a big Friends fan so that will make for a good present.