Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Reaction score
I was kidding. :p

But I got one for like a buck or 2. I want the McQuarrie art one though. The original book.

Reaction score
on the river in Arizona, Paradise as I like to cal
reading this has made my day.. I am smiling and laughing... on the flip side I was reading a thread in the Lego section.. a fellow scummer saw an add on Craigslist for some Lego Star Wars for somwhere under $100.00 dollars.. so he calls the guy ( it was early am so I guess he got to him first ) told him he would buy but had to meet him after work and please take the ad down ( the seller did ) so he meets him after work guy looks like he just walked off the fields from plowing.. gets a big green trash bag out of his vehilce they exchange money for legos and he drives off.. whats in the bag? A UCS Star Destroyer and a Mellinium Falcon ( not the UCS but the current release of the hoth one a think ) total score... there were a few pieces missing but heck under $100.00 dollars for about $1,000.00 worth of legos? priceless..

anyays my contribution from craigs list ( non star wars just totally heartless lol )

Reaction score
I was kidding. :p

But I got one for like a buck or 2. I want the McQuarrie art one though. The original book.
I have 3 of these. If he's selling them for $299 maybe I should contact him and sell him my 2 extras for $299 and he can double his money!

Reaction score
This guy in the Chicagoland area posted a MOC Snag for $150.00. The picture looked legit by all means. The price seemed "fair". In the ad, he posted that he had over 75 MOC figures that he originally purchased himself. I emailed him to see which figures he had. His emails were very vague and did not answer any questions I asked such as are they resealed, recarded, etc. His response was a picture of all the figures.....which is great but pictures are not that great without answering my questions. I emailed him back giving him the prices I would pay for certain ones IF they were 100% legit. His email response was...."I will pass at this time." I checked craigslist the following day to see he posted another MOC but this time it was a ESB Yoda that looked like a beater card "MOC ESB YODA - NEAR MINT CONDITION CARD HAS MIN DAMAGE TO IT AND DISPLAYS GREAT". The card was obviously worn, the hanger was ruined, price tag pulled some of the card off, and the bubble was dented just from what I could see. The guy listed it for $150.00........are you kidding me!!! I wanted to post the ad, but he took it down.

Reaction score
I am not a picker, but I do buy alot of large collections/ Buy out toy stores and I collect as well, so I can see both side of the green grass. Issues I often see, and a posted above mentioned is that they have alot of stuff, and want it gone. Issue is they still want the retail price. I can understand a retail price on 1 piece or 2 pieces or maybe 10 items, but when you are selling a large collection of items, you dont have much of a choice but to take a large drop in the price. Prime example: I was in Denver 3 weeks ago buying a large collection, with a estimated resale retail of $45k-$48k. The seller wanted $40,000, and had to have everything sold in a month. I made an offer of $20,000. The seller was pissed, but he has no choice, he had to have it moved quick, resulting in a quick sale with a lower price. Not many people can and will show up with the C notes, and take everything at once. So I guess it just depends on your situation

Im not ashamed to low ball, all you have to say is "No". Im not spending $20,000 to only make $2000. If Im spending $20,000, I have to clear $15,000. Juice has to be worth the squeeze my friends. So when you say a certain value on an item, it is only worth that if someone will pay that. Doesnt matter if it is $100, or $100,000. Just my 2 Cents
I agree with a lot of things people are saying on this forum. IF you want to get rid of it, then offer an entire collection at a discounted rate. Everyone has a price and if you have to get rid of it AND/OR you have a significant other who wants it gone, YEAH...you will certainly sell it ASAP. I personally would have sold it for $30K but $20K is too low for me personally. I understand everyone is out there to make a buck but man...that is def low balling lol. I think too many people are hung up on prices. Way off topic BUT my buddy was selling his PS3 due to a divorce he is going through so he is selling all of his crap to make some extra cash. I offered him $150 for the system and his games. He still wanted retail value for everything at which point I told him he was an idiot :). Either way more power to you who can drop 20 stacks like that on collections left and right. I wish I could spend money like that and become a seller BUT that will not be happening in this lifetime for me.

Reaction score
I don't know why I fell for it again but quite a few months ago I put an ad on craigslist to sell basically my leftover inventory (that was to sell/trade not to keep) tons of vintage weapons, figures, cases lots of misc. All vintage and I reasonably assessed it at about 4000 or so. I put an ad up for a collector only. I specifically said no dealers. This guy emails me and says he is not a dealer. I figure ok. Got that clear, maybe I can get at least 1500-2000 for everything because I needed the money. This guy cherry picks (the weapons were worth 800 alone) and he wanted about 2000 of the stuff that was easy to sell (so why bother selling it to him?) and he makes me an offer for 500 and I told him to leave. He had multiple gold rings on his hand lol. He ended up palming a luke saber I found out later. What a scumbag. I ended up selling the weapons alone for 800 and sold alot more. It just amazes me how much lies come out of these guys mouth so they can make 5-10 times profit and laugh about it. That isn't remotely reasonable and they can choke on their lies. I loved how he also said how I was like the 5th person he visited today like he gets that many good leads. Needless to say from this and before I would rather go through ebay and let the market price dictate value instead of dealing with these people. When I bought collections from people I needed to make a decent profit (or so I thought) but I never pulled these tactics. Most of the time it was so I could keep some good stuff and get my money back instead of just money. I will use craigslist if I need to sell big physical items but that is the only good use of it for me now.

Reaction score
Wow man thats crazy....I can't believe the guy stole something too. Yes def have an understanding that getting rid of an entire collection is when you take the greatest hit to the wallet. Sounds like you had quite a bit to offer. Getting rid of that much stuff would be pricey on ebay so I completely understand why you opted for CL as opposed to ebay. I just do not like CL because the last time I posted something (non star wars) I had a bunch of morons who thought it was funny to seem interested in my product then never come pick it up. $500 is a complete joke for $4,000 worth of stuff though. I agree that $2,000 would be more than fair. Too bad you didn't live by me, I would come over and steal some of your stuff too :) jk

Reaction score
OH DF! I don't know where these people find their delusions of grandure! Must still be some side effects of the Yahoo story!
Yep, thanks Yahoo. Now every nut job with less teeth than sense in their heads, or is that more teeth than sense, either way they all think they have the golden ticket. Trench jacket...heheh...Dem derned Life Savors dun rotted ma teef.

Reaction score
NOT Craigslist but worthy of this thread IMO:

$200 ISP-6 on Yardsellr

The same guy who is selling this is obviously clueless about the stuff. He does have some real unusual, rare and high-end stuff, but some of his prices are just way wrong and astronomically high.

If you try to contact him to ask questions, whether about pricing or anything else, he deletes all comments/questions and does not respond.

EDIT: Apparently this guy really likes that $200 price bracket, because here he is with another absurdly priced common item:

$200 Emperor MOC

Last edited:

TFB

Reaction score
Did you see the guy with the $50 Burger King watch on there?....Yardseller is a joke.

Reaction score
Did you see the guy with the $50 Burger King watch on there?....Yardseller is a joke.
Yeah, but I accumulated about 20 dollars worth of the Photons and bought something worth buying, just for answering Star Wars trivia.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but hey, if I get something for free, why not?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to agree about Yardsellr. I have picked up a couple of things, but the vast vast majority is way overpriced.

Reaction score
Hey - its Star wars...it HAS to be worth a lot!

Love the watches...my BK couldn't get rid of the things. They were selling them for 50 cents each there at the end

Reaction score
These people most be delusional.
Has anyone on here put something on craigslist and have it flagged and deleted?

YUP!
Craigslist is infamous for that. For a short time I tried putting up want ad for the vintage star wars playdoh sets (except for the first one, because I had that one). I thought that would have been specific enough, but when it was flagged the Nazis on the help board told me my want ad was "too commercial" and that I was a "business entity" because I was a collector.
They advised that I rewrite the add to be more specific!!
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have to agree about Yardsellr. I have picked up a couple of things, but the vast vast majority is way overpriced.

I agree, although I have also picked up a couple things there and sold a few things as well.

The biggest problem with Yardsellr is the social comment portion and the sellers there. God forbid you say anything about the price (not that it even matters, because all it hurts is the seller in the end, who never makes the sale).

There's one seller there who actually stalks the customers and posts nasty comments with their personal info on their listings! The one that I saw, there were 3 or 4 other people backing each other up too, and all tried to say, "hey, we know a little about it, and we're only providing constructive criticism, don't take it so personally"

Unfortunately there's no "report" function to report listings and comments that are out of hand on Yardsellr like you would find on Facebook comments, on which the site is based. But the sellers can delete any comments on their listings, so the nasty unscrupulous ones will actually hunt you on Yardsellr if you say anything about high prices there, and then they will use the comments section to "out" your real identity, defame, and attack you by name. And then they accuse the victims of "stalking" their listings. It's like some Twilight Zone there.

I was just mortified that this is possible there. And I know it's only a tiny segment of the people there, one or two people specifically, but sheesh! just incredible what goes on there.

Reaction score
That Pez listing is great. I mean it was likely an old limelight picture he reused? I dont understand how people do not research what they are selling, and by research I mean either look for similarly selling items, or for the advanced practitioner a completed items search on ebay! That's what I do generally even for stuff I know the value. I find what's currently for sale on that forum and undercut the price if I want a quicker sale and its of the same quality.

TFB

Reaction score
I f you want to see more overpriced stuff go to Goodwill's auction site. It gets really silly over there.

Reaction score
I f you want to see more overpriced stuff go to Goodwill's auction site. It gets really silly over there.

Funny you say that, because I have seen a few things come up for sale on ebay through Goodwill's ebay account- they seem to have some sort of coporate ebay account linked to their store network, and any Goodwill store can post to ebay through it. I have seen the locations jump all over the country for items that Goodwill lists, and I've seen some really nice lots of star wars come up for sale there with low start bids.

Funny that when they post to their own store's website, they have crazy outlandish prices! But that is typical of what I have seen from thrift stores these days. Some thrift stores price higher than retail from reputable dealers, and that's not just on toys or sci-fi stuff, anything & everything.

The one near my mom's place does it on purpose, and if you remark or ask about it, they will use that old line about it being a "charitable contribution" so the extra $ that you are paying them (often for lower quality merchandise) is rationalized by the attitude that you should be willing to spend extra to further their cause.

I don't buy it.... lol