Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Reaction score
YES, it is worth anywhere from $600.00 to $69,000 dollars!

Reaction score
What drives me crazy is that these craigslist creeps will often sit on something forever because they have it in their head it's worth hundreds of dollars. You can even show them proof, but they still insist.

I love when I'm buying something out in the wild and the people will check eBay before giving me a price. It's funny how selective their eye sight is, because they seem to only see AFA top graded items.

Reaction score
your knowledge about the hobby is your best weapon against these dreamers. I use ebay and the afa website all the time to show people that my offer is a solid one. Paypal fees, ebay fees, shipping errors, fraudulent buyers, afa fees, afa wait times....all of these things are what people don't take into account. Once you show them that your offer is right, usually get them to soften up. just don't use the above thinga as fear tactics. They'll see right through out.

Reaction score
Well, out near me there is an auction house that has a weekend "collectibles show" and charge $5.00 to get in. In reality, it's no show. It's often only him and 2 other people sitting in there. Rumor has it, there are no "dealers" and it's all his private stock he's charging people just to look at. It's like being charged $5 just to walk in the door of a roadside antique store.

Anyway, he has a Star Wars collector he says the "dealer" wants $3,000 for. He had a Jabba Playset and I offered $45. He told me he'd call the dealer and let me know. Just for the hell of it, I checked on eBay myself to see what they were going for. I saw an AFA high grade one for a couple of hundred. Sure enough, he called me and mentioned "we" (him and the dealer" saw one for that price. I knew it was the AFA one and I know he knows the deal. He was hoping I was stupid. He totally overlooked the ones that actually sold for LESS than $45.

This guy is just a shady crook and I am tired of people like him. Lot of local antique, collectible dealers and estate sale people near me and more than have are slime ridden crooks.

Reaction score
Strikeofthebeast-- You are SO right! Most toy or collectible shows are just that...guys SHOWING their inventory, and not budging an inch on their inflated prices. When any of them turn down my reasonable offer, I just say "Thanks for SHOWING your toys today! Have fun packing them up and taking them home again!" Occasionally you can even see the concern on their faces.

Reaction score
There is a local toy shop here that does a parking lot sale now and then, and there's definitely that element there. Don't get me wrong, there's usually a few good deals to be had there, but also more and more I notice people that bring the same overpriced stuff every time, won't budge on the price, and then complain how they don't sell anything.

On the craigslist tip, I love when sellers refer to eBay for prices. What they seem to forget is that on eBay, the pool of potential buyers includes people throughout the country, if not the world. On craigslist, it's a very local market. If you want eBay prices, sell your stuff on eBay, not CL.

Reaction score
This is the best one I've seen in awhile, those crazy hippies always pushing the boundaries of absurdity

I sure hope that's a DT Vader for that price.....

Reaction score
WOW a retractable light saber? That's got to be worth something.

Another thing I hate about CL? The attitudes of some of the people. I believe most of them are imbeciles who are too stupid and lazy to do eBay, so they use Craigslist instead.

I remember one calling me after I posted a wanted ad for vintage toys. When I said "Hello?", the first thing out of his mouth was this:

"first thing is first. I don't like dealing with people off craigslist. Got it? OK, now that's out of the way".

...and then he was pressuring me to show up to his "warehouse" that was load with stuff.

"don't bring $10, don't bring $20. You show up him with $20, I won't even let ya in! Show up with a couple of hundred and I promise you, you will walk away with thousands to flip".

He sounded like a mafia boss. I hung up on him after awhile.

Then one [censored] woman contacted me. I bought some MOTU and Thundercats stuff off her for $30, but I regret that now because of her attitude. When I made the offer, she said "yeah, yeah fine...I don't have time for this [censored] today".

Didn't even thank me...

Then of course there was the guy who called me at 2:00AM to tell me he had a "Christopher Reeves in a wheelchair" figure (with giggling in the back).

Reaction score
I went to a comic/toy show this weekend. I was able to talk down 5 sellers and walked away with a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff for about 70 bucks. Knowledge is your best friend.

Reaction score
I wish there were some good toy shows around here.

When I first started collecting vintage Star Wars in the early 90s, there was a great one held in a church. It was called the "Toy Solider Show", I believe and it was in Elmont for those from Long Island, New York.

Maybe someday I'll host my own, I have no clue how to go about it.

Anyway, nothing around here anymore except a pretty cool Antique Mall type thing with a new dealer who has some great vintage Star Wars stuff.

There are also Estate Sales, but I HATE those with every grain of my soul.

I posted a while back about how I woke up crack of dawn to go to one, but was beaten out on a bunch of SW, GI Joe, Mego and vintage 70s/80s stuff. Well the people hosting that show now have their own TV show on TruTv, "Big Brian the Fortune Seller". God, do I hate it.

Reaction score
strikeofthebeast said:
WOW a retractable light saber? That's got to be worth something.

Another thing I hate about CL? The attitudes of some of the people. I believe most of them are imbeciles who are too stupid and lazy to do eBay, so they use Craigslist instead.

I remember one calling me after I posted a wanted ad for vintage toys. When I said "Hello?", the first thing out of his mouth was this:

"first thing is first. I don't like dealing with people off craigslist. Got it? OK, now that's out of the way".

...and then he was pressuring me to show up to his "warehouse" that was load with stuff.

"don't bring $10, don't bring $20. You show up him with $20, I won't even let ya in! Show up with a couple of hundred and I promise you, you will walk away with thousands to flip".

He sounded like a mafia boss. I hung up on him after awhile.

Then one [censored] woman contacted me. I bought some MOTU and Thundercats stuff off her for $30, but I regret that now because of her attitude. When I made the offer, she said "yeah, yeah fine...I don't have time for this [censored] today".

Didn't even thank me...

Then of course there was the guy who called me at 2:00AM to tell me he had a "Christopher Reeves in a wheelchair" figure (with giggling in the back).
Oh never put your phone number on a Craigslist ad LOL thats a big no-no

Reaction score
Beat me to the punch. At first I thought "maybe he added an extra zero on accident". Then I thought "even if he did, it's still too much".

rupert said:
This is the best one I've seen in awhile, those crazy hippies always pushing the boundaries of absurdity

I sure hope that's a DT Vader for that price.....

Reaction score
Maybe not... see the Han Hoth? I think it's a Molded Pants
Plus the figures look pretty nice. I'd easily pay 200$ for this lot. Flips easily for 300-400$.

Reaction score
jedikt said:
Strikeofthebeast-- You are SO right! Most toy or collectible shows are just that...guys SHOWING their inventory, and not budging an inch on their inflated prices. When any of them turn down my reasonable offer, I just say "Thanks for SHOWING your toys today! Have fun packing them up and taking them home again!" Occasionally you can even see the concern on their faces.
As someone that has been on both sides of the dealer table, so to speak, I can maybe add a different perspective on the dealer/customer relationship. I've never met a dealer who is dead-set on going home with zero inventory. I'm sure every dealer is thrilled to sell some toys, but very few are desperate to the point of grumbling about having to cart some stuff home. Most of my dealer friends are also collectors and setting up at toy shows is part of the hobby: a chance to hang out, chat with acquaintances, and maybe get out of town for a day or so. We all know the drill: dealers "want too much" for their stuff and buyers "don't want to pay anything" for their stuff. I've seen dealers with $200 on loose X-Wings which is, of course, ridiculous. As a dealer, however, I've had rude, childish shoppers guffaw at prices that they thought were too high. Two years ago, while set up at a show, I had $200 on a near-minty 12-back Sandpeople that was a bargain at twice the price. Some turd offered me $75 for it and started running his mouth when I politely declined the offer. Didn't matter. Remember, dealers are not obligated to accept offers and you can always vote with your dollar.

As for Craiglist and other over-estimated Star Wars values, remember that the vast majority of these people are not Star Wars collectors and probably know next to nothing about the hobby. They're simply trying to maximize the money they may get for their old toys while trying not to get rooked. Yep, most of them are grossly overestimating the value of their items but after a while, reality will set in when they still have no buyers.

Reaction score
Here are some of my philosophies.

If you want top dollar and want to remind me what things sell for on eBay (when I know better than YOU do), then get off your lazy a** and sell it on eBay. Not on CL, not at a garage sale.

If I went to a garage sale and saw a vinyl cape Jawa or Blue Snaggletooth in a box for .50, I would buy it and not say a word. Some might see that as slimy. But that's the price they gave me and they chose to just sell it at a yard sale without any research, so that's that. I've had it happen to me and it is annoying, but it's ultimately was my fault.

If somebody contacted me on CL with stuff to sell, I will try to make a fair offer to make it worth both of our time.

I've met some good dealers, but I'm also met some who were the scum of the earth. People who take pride in selling something for 10 times what it's worth just to amuse themselves and make jerks out of people, so they could brag about it.

There is a local guy by me. This imbecile's store is so overstocked, two people have to walk single file and most stuff you cannot even get out. He refuses to cut any deals and everything is marked way higher than eBay. This guy is a crook and he knows it and obviously has no problem with it.

Reaction score
Oh but didn't you see the black paint splatter on the bottom? It must be some RARE factory error! $1000 dollars is a STEAL!

Reaction score
rupert said:
I don't see this thread ever dying out, ha
That being the case, since most of the links above are for expired listings, could we start copying and pasting the info about why these are ridiculous listings? I missed out on some good laughs...

Reaction score
ClankTheRobot said:
rupert said:
I don't see this thread ever dying out, ha
That being the case, since most of the links above are for expired listings, could we start copying and pasting the info about why these are ridiculous listings? I missed out on some good laughs...

Good idea, I know I come across so many old threads missing pics etc and pretty much makes it a moot read.

On a side note, I actually contacted the seller of the Vader mug asking for a price on the chewbacca tankard, he asked me to make an offer, so I offered $15 which I thought was fair.

I got an email back saying "please don't insult me, the price is $1500!!!" lol, I try to be as nice as I can, I understand that people think their things are worth millions because they say Star Wars, but, there's always that thing called research...

Reaction score
Did you happen to write back and ask him where he came up with the $1500 number? I'd just be interested to see what he says.

Reaction score
BrettX209 said:
Did you happen to write back and ask him where he came up with the $1500 number? I'd just be interested to see what he says.
I asked, but no reply. I'm pretty curious too, probably $1500 because 2 zeros are better than none

Reaction score
yea, but in this case, there really should be a decimal point in front of those zeroes. I should offer him way too much, like $300 or something, and see what he says.

rupert said:
I asked, but no reply. I'm pretty curious too, probably $1500 because 2 zeros are better than none

Reaction score
BrettX209 said:
yea, but in this case, there really should be a decimal point in front of those zeroes. I should offer him way too much, like $300 or something, and see what he says.

rupert said:
I did send him a couple Ebay auctions proving my point regarding the value, it would be interesting to see if he still sticks by his price of $1000 for the Vader even after seeing proof of value.

Reaction score
strikeofthebeast said:
Here are some of my philosophies.

If you want top dollar and want to remind me what things sell for on eBay (when I know better than YOU do), then get off your lazy a** and sell it on eBay. Not on CL, not at a garage sale.

If I went to a garage sale and saw a vinyl cape Jawa or Blue Snaggletooth in a box for .50, I would buy it and not say a word. Some might see that as slimy. But that's the price they gave me and they chose to just sell it at a yard sale without any research, so that's that.

And you wonder why people get scammed on here?
It seems to me that if you know something is worth more,but try to get it for half or less instead of buying it at a store(hobby) or on ebay from a seller who has a good rep then it is like the old expression buyer beware.