Octuptarra Droid

GNT

Reaction score
This one has been mentioned a couple of times in the forum so thought I'd start a thread up for it, Details of the Octuptarra Droid has appeared on online, click the link to check the details out.

Among the advanced combat droids flanking General Grievous in his secret headquarters on Utapau are the octuptarra droids.

The stilt-legged spider-like automatons have large balloon-like heads atop their thin stalk bodies, armed with laser turrets. Their rotating multi-jointed assemblies allow them to change facing almost instantly, and it is nearly impossible to get a drop on the droids as all sides conceivably face "front." A larger cousin to the octuptarra droid, the tri-droid, was used in campaigns on Mygeeto.

Anyone going to pick it up?

Reaction score
I would assuming:

1)It's scaled accurately or at least larger than the current tri-droid.
2)The legs are substantially upgraded so that they don't sag.
3)It's not in lieu of a crab droid or any of the other nifty droids that appear in the show. If it came down to one or the other, I'd prefer an entirely new droid.

Reaction score
GNT said:
This one has been mentioned a couple of times in the forum so thought I'd start a thread up for it, Details of the Octuptarra Droid has appeared on online, click the link to check the details out.

Among the advanced combat droids flanking General Grievous in his secret headquarters on Utapau are the octuptarra droids.

The stilt-legged spider-like automatons have large balloon-like heads atop their thin stalk bodies, armed with laser turrets. Their rotating multi-jointed assemblies allow them to change facing almost instantly, and it is nearly impossible to get a drop on the droids as all sides conceivably face "front." A larger cousin to the octuptarra droid, the tri-droid, was used in campaigns on Mygeeto.

Anyone going to pick it up?
Ok, Hasbro's getting their intel mixed up again. The Tri-Droid is the larger version of the Octuptarra droid, according to the SW Databank. Then again, the Databank lists both droid as 3.6 - 3.7 meters tall. Very confusing, but I'm looking forward to see how Hasbro pulls this larger version off. And yes, they'd better straighten the legs, tighten the joints and level the guns. Because there's no end to the warpiness of the current Tri-Droid.

Reaction score
That is, assuming this description comes from Hasbro. Sometimes sites create their own copy when putting up a pre-order.

Personally I don't care what they call it so long as it represents what we have seen on screen, but yeah, it's irksome when the info associated with these products is incorrect.

G

They better make the legs out of hard plastic and not that rubbery stuff. Can't wait to see pics at toyfair! Sould like it's going to be huge!

CSD

Reaction score
They better make this up to scale or at least close.

Reaction score
Just saw this in the turncoat episode of CW, If they make teh one that Obi wan, Anakin and ventress ride down the side of that building, Im in for two if possible.

Reaction score
Hip_about_Time said:
Just saw this in the turncoat episode of CW, If they make teh one that Obi wan, Anakin and ventress ride down the side of that building, Im in for two if possible.
how would they make that one any different from any other version seen in the clone wars show? to be a decent scale it should be at least 2 times as tall and the head/body needs to be at least twice as big as the homing spider droid in my opinion. i wonder how it will turn out...

Reaction score
mandalorehunter said:
Hip_about_Time said:
how would they make that one any different from any other version seen in the clone wars show? to be a decent scale it should be at least 2 times as tall and the head/body needs to be at least twice as big as the homing spider droid in my opinion. i wonder how it will turn out...

I was talking about the size, color scheme. Which I think would match nicely with the Christophsis ATT

Reaction score
i thought the tri droid and the octuptarra droid are the same thing. Pics?

CSD

Reaction score
Has anyone found any pictures of this yet. It has not been mentioned at Toy Fair yet.

CSD

Reaction score
I know that this has been confirmed but did Hasbro say anything about this at Toy Fair.

Reaction score
I remember the mass confusion about which was which when the Tri Droid first came out. Everyone, myself included was saying they got the Octuptarra droid. Now we finally can. Anything that adds variety in the droid army is a good thing.

G

Pretty much confirmed on the front page! i can't wait to get one and the size is huge!

Reaction score
Yep. This thing looks like it is scaled perfectly. Should be a lot more stable than the smaller tri-droid as well. Can't wait to pick this up.

Reaction score
my_kind_of_scum said:
Yep. This thing looks like it is scaled perfectly. Should be a lot more stable than the smaller tri-droid as well. Can't wait to pick this up.
Hopefully, it's more stable - I'd hate for a "vehicle" that size to drop on the collection (which would domino my figures) or fall on the floor. Eek!

Reaction score
Ashoka said:
my_kind_of_scum said:
Hopefully, it's more stable - I'd hate for a "vehicle" that size to drop on the collection (which would domino my figures) or fall on the floor. Eek!
Yeah, there's nothing in the picture to indicate either way but I hope they get the legs right this time.

Reaction score
Stan said:
I am confused?? Are these one on Revenge of the Sith?
Yeah. You can see them on Mygeeto. The smaller one released in the TAC was incorrectly named Tri-droid. These larger ones are actually Tri-droids, while the samller ones are Octuptarra droids.

Reaction score
The ultimate test - was that a double A battery? But seriously, that looks awesome. I'd love to buy two.

Reaction score
It looks great, it's about time the droid army get some more power. I'll probably get a couple of these guys.

GNT

Reaction score
Looks good to me, can't wait to find one.

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware that there was a scale issue with the Tri-Droid. Interesting release.

Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the legs are just as bendy as the smaller one. I don't see this being able to stand up for very long at all.

Reaction score
...and the coloring sucks. But then y'all knew I was going to say that.

Hopefully this will be followed up with the inevitable movie-colored repaint.

'78

Reaction score
So I'm assuming and I'm hoping this is the Sep Droid we see in ROTS on the bridge on Mygeeto blasting a Republic vehicle off the bridge? I'll be down for two of these probably. Hope the paint job gets better for release day lol

Reaction score
With a different paint job, it is in fact that "vehicle" - probably still underscale, but that's okay, very few releases in the vehicle line are anywhere close to scale.

Nice attempt and nice detail, just need the "realistic" paint job.

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
With a different paint job, it is in fact that "vehicle" - probably still underscale, but that's okay, very few releases in the vehicle line are anywhere close to scale.

Yes, the realistic deco from the Clone Wars movie and "The Hidden Enemy" episode will do just fine. The nice blue of the CIS army.

Reaction score
I think this is a photo of an unfinished sample like the Tank Droid. Concerned about the wonky-foot thing though ......

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think that's the paint job. Just a tooling sample.

Reaction score
Since1978 said:

That's good to hear. I've always wanted to do a Mygeeto bridge display and having this Droid "Vehicle" is a good start.

No doubt, further down the line, Hasbro will release this again and again with different paint jobs depending on it's frequency in The Clone Wars series. But I do hope Hasbro get around to doing a ROTS specific paint scheme as that would be a bonus.

As you say, scale may not be perfect, but then Hasbro probably did it this way to keep costs down which is fair enough as they're probably uncertain as to what the demand will be like for tihs specific Droid "Vehicle".

What gets me, and being a shop owner myself, in the UK, we've not had any new releases recenetly, been almost two months, and with finances the way they are, I hope Hasbro do not overload us with stuff we can't afford all at once! They have a habit of doing that, not releasing anything for a while then, bang, they flood the market with loads of stuff and soem collectors end up missing out on specific items because it's sold out or Hasbro have decided to "exclusive" it somewhere specific.

So I hope both this and the new Corp Alliance Tank get general release, which I'm assuming they will. I'm just glad to see some focus on the Sep forces for a change. The new Vulture Droid is looking great, bigger scale and everything. So it's going to be great to get some Sep Forces to line up with my Clones and their vehicles. After all, I have an AT-TE but nothing else from the Seps vehicle wise.

I'm not bothering with the Crab Droid for the simple fact, it's TOO big, they should have scaled it down, ball joint the knees on the legs, just make it smaller like it is in ROTS, it's bigger than the Dwarf Spider Droid when it should be the other way around lol!

And the Dwarf Spider Droid is something I wouldn't mind being remade as well, a little larger, slip on removable plates on the front legs like we see in RC game. Firing missile still, but put some launchable grenade laucnhes on them as well like we see in the RC game. I just think the scale on both the Dwarf Spider Droid and Crab Droid are totally wrong and it needs to be put right.