Obi-Wan Kenobi

Reaction score
No offense to anyone who likes this figure, but it's a hot mess. That scruffy beard looks like it should be on Uncle Owen.
It's awful. It literally may as well be a statue. I don't even buy 5 POA but a normal 5 POA figure would be better than this. All that's missing is a 'slashing action feature'.

Nostalgia figures for the Vintage line is one thing. Nostalgia figures for SAGA 2002 is just weird.

Reaction score
It's awful. It literally may as well be a statue. I don't even buy 5 POA but a normal 5 POA figure would be better than this. All that's missing is a 'slashing action feature'.

Nostalgia figures for the Vintage line is one thing. Nostalgia figures for SAGA 2002 is just weird.
What's wrong with it from a 5poa stance? The 02 line was plagued by horrible pre-posed stances. He seems pretty neutral to me. All he has are bent arms which work great for a hands on the hips stance.

So I just looked at the figure again in hand. I cannot pick out the dot matrix effect in the beard in person. I held him up as close to my face as possible. I think what you're seeing in pictures can't be seen in person without a magnifying glass.

It's a really impressive figure that deserves to be judged in hand. The T-crotch with the skirt is only a minor annoyance all things considered.

There is one thing I do wish he had, a hook on his belt. The lightsaber hilt has a ring on it like Rey's. I also wish he came with a deactivated hilt. The sculpt on this hilt by the way is incredible. It's way more detailed than any previous ANH Obi-wan hilt and for once is a true ANH sculpt not a ROTS sculpt.

Reaction score
Picked one up? Where?
i bought mine at Walmart. I was on the fence about him but thought he had a nice sculpt even without proper articulation. He'll look good in a display but beyond that, as with all 5poa, feels like something is missing

Reaction score
What's wrong with it from a 5poa stance? The 02 line was plagued by horrible pre-posed stances. He seems pretty neutral to me. All he has are bent arms which work great for a hands on the hips stance.

So I just looked at the figure again in hand. I cannot pick out the dot matrix effect in the beard in person. I held him up as close to my face as possible. I think what you're seeing in pictures can't be seen in person without a magnifying glass.

It's a really impressive figure that deserves to be judged in hand. The T-crotch with the skirt is only a minor annoyance all things considered.

There is one thing I do wish he had, a hook on his belt. The lightsaber hilt has a ring on it like Rey's. I also wish he came with a deactivated hilt. The sculpt on this hilt by the way is incredible. It's way more detailed than any previous ANH Obi-wan hilt and for once is a true ANH sculpt not a ROTS sculpt.
I agree, he was sculpted specifically to recreate the pose you mention, with his hands to his hips / belt and the second pose to hold his saber with both hands for when he duels Vader. Some people complain when the basic figure arms are straight down to the figures sides, so Hasbro tries an alternate pose - and they get more complaints... I think it turned out nicely, and the likeness might be the best yet. Hasbro has released some crappy figures in previous years - this is certainly not one of them!

Reaction score
I think, if they start to do something to get a distinct pose from it. They need to start giving the figures at least BH shoulders, but more POA is needed not to look goofy.

Reaction score
I think, if they start to do something to get a distinct pose from it. They need to start giving the figures at least BH shoulders, but more POA is needed not to look goofy.
There's a little bit of extra movement in these shoulders with the ball socket design. Not a ton but it works with this figure.

Reaction score
Yup, the head sculpt is fantastic - that sample has some deco that looks like sh*t, mine however looks nothing like that. Lets not forget that factory samples can look like garbage at times, when the final product looks much better, here one that was posted in the RA thread:

Reaction score
Sorry, never gonna be sold on this one. Standard 5 POA figures can at least hide behind nostalgia but this is SAGA 2002 level nonsense to me (and for the record, I've never argued for more dynamic poses in the basic line).

Reaction score
Sorry, never gonna be sold on this one. Standard 5 POA figures can at least hide behind nostalgia but this is SAGA 2002 level nonsense to me (and for the record, I've never argued for more dynamic poses in the basic line).
So this is comparable to action shoulder padme huh?

And yeah, that photo looks nothing like the in hand version of the figure. Basically judge it in person not from early factory. And in person, it's right up there with Fett for likeness. Unless you've seen it in person, you can't really comment on it. I know that's kind of a lame way to argue the merits of a figure but this is one of those cases.

Reaction score
I realized my post was in another thread oops. Yes, my figure's beard does not look like the demo at all (and that's a damned good thing!)

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't see it either. No matter what photo I look at, it's uhgly. I'll stay with the TLC figure. Sure the SG's might be too fluffy for others, but I'd rather have a great head sculpt than a crummy one. It's definitely not worth me picking up something I don't need. The rest is fine though.

Normally I get a 5POA figure to replace an SA version, because the head sculpt is better. But not here.

Reaction score
There, that's a representative picture of Ben. I cannot stress this enough, photos aren't doing the in hand head sculpt justice. There's a depth to the sculpt and paint job that just isn't there on the legacy head sculpt. If you like the legacy version of the figure, totally fine but this head sculpt is superior. The legacy sculpt had a "toy" quality to it. This looks so much like Alec it's crazy.

If you want to stick with tlc mold, I'd recommend popping this head on. It's 2-pack fett accurate.

Also, I'm noticing all critics of the figure haven't actually seen the figure in person....and everyone who loves it has it in hand....interesting ;)

Reaction score
I think this thing is excellent for 5POA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - everyone should compare this new figure to one of the POTF2 Ben figures:

Can anyone describe the new figure as bad, ugly, awful, etc when comparing the two? I know some might not like it, which is fine - but beyond opinion lies reality.

Reaction score
Grabbed one at Target today. Had a whole peg full of him and Yoday in equal amounts. Looks like they are getting their own case and are evenly packed. I agree the head is the best one yet. Nothing like those Hascon pics. Pulled out my TLC one and the head scan is far superior. Keep in mind that figure is using the VOTC head from 2005. Plenty of room for improvement and this figure has it.

Reaction score
I'm not arguing its validity versus the POTF figure, that much is certain. lol
I'm just basing it off photos that seem to be too close up of the beard's mesh design. The face does look better in likeness, but that rough beard throws it off.

I can only make a proper determination when I see it in person, likely 3 months from now.

Reaction score
I know, I just had to cite a figure that actually falls into the category of ugly / awful, lol. I know all SW collectors nitpick, so I had to show a comparison of how well 5 POA evolved since those days!

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this figure will be repainted at some point to turn it into Force Ghost Kenobi. This figure seems like a good base for an ESB or potential TLJ ghost figure, or Hasbro could swap the hooded cloak out and give us the more commonly seen hood down version. I'm fine with the old ghost figure from the OTC, but this sculpt certainly has potential for reuse.

Reaction score
Looks great. I enjoy the 5poa when they have quality sculpts!

(No, I don't prefer them to SA...)

Reaction score
Yeah, that last pic does show him in abetter light. Much better indeed, though I'm likely to by it all the same. But I can recognize good sculpting.
If this ever goes on sale for $4 I'll get it for the head for sure, then put it on the TLC figure.

Reaction score
Got him at Target today. In all honesty, it's a pretty bad figure in my opinion. I've seen people get him to do the two handed grip pose, but for the life of me I can't get mine to do it. Mine might be defective, I don't know. It's just every time I bring the arms towards each other one will pop right off. Don't get why they just didn't do a swivel right above the elbows similar to how they did in the Phantom Menace line. Couldn't have cost THAT much more to do that. Ball jointed arms are just a weird call. It's a shame because I think the face sculpt and paint is very well done, but I think whatever SA version of original trilogy Obi-Wan is out there probably remains the definitive version.

That being said I picked him up with Yoda and the Yoda is a great little figure. Like that one a lot.

Reaction score
I kind of had a hunch they would be.

Maybe they'll do a Force Ghost version later on with his dialog from TLJ. If he really is in the Movie.

Reaction score
I kind of had a hunch they would be.

Maybe they'll do a Force Ghost version later on with his dialog from TLJ. If he really is in the Movie.
I'd be all in for a new updated Force Ghost version if they made it with the same 5POA figure, it could work for ESB, ROTJ and even TLJ (if he is in it)

Reaction score
They'd have to re-sculpt the arms though, with them raised in the air and him saying don't go Luke.

Reaction score
Oh dear, I just hope they don't get as far as sculpting that deer in the headlights expression too. :D But comprehensively, Nether-Obi-Wan had various expressions as a Force ghost (err, spirit) along the way as noted. His hands were clasped on Hoth and so-forth.