Discussion Obi Wan Kenobi - TV Series

Reaction score
I recently found out that Disney is planning to release a trilogy of films centred around Obi-Wan Kenobi. Qui Gon is also supposed to appear.
Thoughts?

Reaction score
My God.....are they going to water down Star wars the way they watered down Marvel. UGH!!!!! Please say it isn't so!!!!

Reaction score
It's Disney, of course they are haha.
I'm down for it though, we went from no hope of more Star Wars to possibly having some great movies; could be horrible too but I'm willing to find out.

Reaction score
If they bring back Ewan to be Obi-Wan to do more during the Clone Wars or leaving Padawan Anakin in Day Care I am so there.

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider this watering down Star Wars anymore than some of the crappy Star Wars EU that a good deal of fans were crying over because it got wiped out. There we some great stories but there was also some bad. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Reaction score
Only if McGregor is back.
Another actor wouldn't make any sense unless it's a movie about kid/teenage Obi-Wan (and let us hope this isn't the case)

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag for me. On one hand, it just seems like an easy way for them to make a buck. rehashing old characters. Then there's the fact that I liked Obi-Wan, until the PT turned him into this character we didn't think he was.
In a sense I feel his story is done, time to move on. The biggest reason I don't like watching prequel material. Is the simple fact that the character is never in danger, as you already know his outcome.

Reaction score
My God.....are they going to water down Star wars the way they watered down Marvel. UGH!!!!! Please say it isn't so!!!!
Marvel? Watered down? I think you've been watching different movies than I have, or somehow have traveled to the future and witnessed Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, the Netflix shows, and more to come to that conclusion.

Reaction score
I honestly always wanted MORE Star Wars. Sure they could drop some duds on us, but they could also put out some really fun stuff. It's like that classic song says, you take the good, you take the bad, and there you have, the facts of life.

Reaction score
This is why I ate up so much of the EU. There were plenty of duds in there, too (practically the entire run of Dark Horse's REBELLION was painful in writing and art, particularly following the enjoyable end of the EMPIRE run, and even much of the Brian Wood "Star Wars" grated on me with Angry Noob Luke and Seasoned Veteran Wedge), but lots of fun stuff like both LEGACY runs, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Jedi Knight games, KOTOR games, KOTOR comics, etc.

While I'm not terribly crazy about the notion of a whole trilogy about Obi-Wan's 19 years in (or out of) the desert, but "more Star Wars" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hell, I wish they'd air DETOURS, too; only idiots would confuse it for REBELS, and it can't hurt the 'image' of Vader & the Empire more than the ridiculously-terrible aim of the stormies of REBELS already has.

Reaction score
Idiot kids. One is about a group of rebels having adventures around the galaxy; one is a parody that's all-comedy, all-the-time with a broad-shouldered Vader, tiny Palpatine, some tiny stormtroopers, tiny Leia with giant hair-buns, Han Solo, Lando, Sleazy Obi-Wan, etc all bumbling around in comedic situations. Night & day. And because it's by the Robot Chicken guys, it's Star Wars parody I still wanna see.

Reaction score
Idiot kids. One is about a group of rebels having adventures around the galaxy; one is a parody that's all-comedy, all-the-time with a broad-shouldered Vader, tiny Palpatine, some tiny stormtroopers, tiny Leia with giant hair-buns, Han Solo, Lando, Sleazy Obi-Wan, etc all bumbling around in comedic situations. Night & day. And because it's by the Robot Chicken guys, it's Star Wars parody I still wanna see.
Yeah that sounds dreadful.

Reaction score
I would like to have an OW film about his training from QG while in hiding and keeping an eye on Luke. That would make a good start of a trilogy and go from there.

Reaction score
Yes, 3 films about Obi-wan and how he failed at training his first student, his time in the Clone Wars, his friendship with the Organa family, his strained relationship with the Jedi order. Just really go through the arc of how a once great Jedi failed and the consequences it had on the galaxy.

Yeah, I'd totally see 3 movies set before the OT with Obi-wan as the MAIN character. :)

GNT

Reaction score
Maybe one film set during the Clone Wars perhaps but I don't see them doing a trilogy of Kenobi films anytime soon.

Reaction score
Maybe one film set during the Clone Wars perhaps but I don't see them doing a trilogy of Kenobi films anytime soon.
Or ever.
the further we move from the PT and the more Ewan ages, the less likely it becomes

Reaction score
Or ever.
the further we move from the PT and the more Ewan ages, the less likely it becomes
Ah, unless Disney manages to one day entice Mr. McGreggor to reprise his role for a film that depicts Obi in an adventure after a decade or so on Tatooine. I'd happily watch that!

Reaction score
I can't imagine a trilogy of Obi-Wan films unless it Shows him in at least 1 of the films at some Point before ROTS. I really don't want to see Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine to have adventures all over the place while he was supposed to be watching over Luke.

If there is some Kenobi Connection in the ST and they set up a whole backstory in a film, then I could see them making more than on Kenobi film. However, if they only make one Kenobi spin-off, I'd almost assume that the Visionaries Darth Maul Story might Play into it in some way.

Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters, so a satnd alone with him would be cool. However, I'm not sure how they would find enough material to do a whole trilogy just about Obi-Wan.

Reaction score
Well, i wasn't that interested in a stand alone film. So a trilogy is even worse.(for me) This one I'll likely have to sit out. There just can't be that much story to tell past ROTS, or pre-TPM. We've already been witnesses to 3/4 of his life adventures.
What little chunk could you possibly take from his life, to fill three movies with? Him as a Padawan under Qui-Gon? Do we really want to see him and Qui-Gon traveling through the Galaxy, barely escaping Danger. All the while knowing that they do survive?

Don't get me wrong, I like Obi-Wan. I just happen think his story has pretty much been told.

Reaction score
^^ Agreed! Time for some new characters and new stories in the same universe. Doesn't matter to me the era in which those stories take place (including during the OT), but for such a huge galaxy, it would be nice to see more than we've been exposed to thus far in feature-length films.

Reaction score
Keep in mind this was never anything more than fan speculation. There were no credible rumors that an Obi-Wan trilogy was ever on the table.

Reaction score
Do we really want to see him and Qui-Gon traveling through the Galaxy, barely escaping Danger.
For whatever reason my eyes read that as "barely escaping Dengar." I was interested in that scenario for two seconds.

Reaction score
That most likely would be the scenario. After all, you gotta have that hint of OT in there. I somehow think that if they ever did a movie set in the OT era, based on no one important that we know. It wouldn't go over too well. Having new characters is fine. But having them gallivanting across the systems w/o any mention of an existing OT character, would seem like slap in the face to some people. Setting it in that era, automatically leaves you open to cameos/nods.

That's why i think a new time frame needs explored. And hopefully after the ST, it will start adventures with Rey and a whole new generation of heroes.

Reaction score
I heard there was to be an Obi Wan film but reading this post is the first I have heard about it being a trilogy, has it been confirmed wither way yet guys? :)

Reaction score
No. No confirmation on an Obi-Wan film, let alone an Obi-Wan trilogy. Ewan didn't even get the call for TFA until pretty much a couple weeks before the premiere.

Reaction score
I have roughly story boarded this trilogy with action figures on my coffee table a few times now. It was the greatest story ever told.

Reaction score
I think a stand alone movie with Obi Wan could be brilliant. Ewan was one of the best parts of the Prequels. (It certainly wasn't Anakin or Padme.)

I think it would be interesting if the first three stand-alone movies were a Trilogy... IN REVERSE. Stay with me here:

A) Rogue One is set just before Ep IV and chronicles the taking of the Death Star Plans with Jyn Erso and company... Jyn is the Catalyst, but one of the other characters is the tie to Han Solo, which is the next stand alone movie.

B) Let's say this new Young Han Solo movie is set 10 years? before Ep IV and is an origin of sorts for him. But they need more than just "this is how Han became Han and met Chewy and got the Falcon". They could very easily have one of the characters that are with Jyn in Rogue One interact with a Young Han Solo. Since I don't know the whole story of Rogue One yet, I'm going to choose one that I think would work... Galen Erso - Jyn's father.

C) I haven't seen Mads Mikkelson on screen yet so I'm going on nothing, but If somehow Han is involved in transporting something dangerous for Galen Erso... we have a nice second act to our trilogy. You could even have a cameo for Krennic and/or Saw Guerera in there somewhere which would help tie the 2 movies.

D) OK... so Obi Wan is the 3rd of our Trilogy and happens almost directly after Ep III when he drops off Luke and is exiled to Tatooine. It would be fascinating to me to see his life on Tatooine and simply do the story of a runaway Jedi - Sharad "Howlrunner" Hett and his interaction with the Tusken Raiders. In the EU, this story was set much earlier in time and originally had Ki Adi Mundi coming to retrieve him and eventually led to Aurra Sing killing Hett and Mundi taking his son A'Sharad Hett back to Coruscant for Jedi Training. I say give the Ki Adi Mundi role to Obi Wan and keep everything else (except obviously the going to coruscant with his son as that would not be possible in this timeline). I'd include Jabba in there too and a new location on Tatooine also that is like a Kingdom that Jabba controls (so he's not just stuck in his Palace.)

E) So where's the tie in? My thought would be the Tusken Raiders are guarding a very important "something" that also relates to the death star technology that people are after. Hett isn't just a runaway after all. My thought would be that Bounty Hunters including a younger Saw Guerera are part of Obi Wan's movie and also feature in the new Han Solo Movie. In my scenario, the Han Solo Movie would be like a Last Man Standing type film where everyone is after Han Solo and his cargo where the Obi Wan Movie would be more of a "things are not as they seem" and the bad guy is not the bad guy thriller.

SO.... If we look at this in chronological order...
Star Wars: Obi Wan connects to Han Solo through Death Star Technology and the Bounty Hunters that show up in both movies. One of which could be a younger Saw Guerera. The whole movie takes place on Tatooine in an adventure to redeem a Jedi that is one of the "Lost 20" - a tie in to the Prequels, and a twist type thriller.

Star Wars: Han Solo connects to Rogue one through Death Star Technology and Galen Erso, whom he's doing a job for that goes south. Everyone is chasing him including Saw Guerera and Krennic. His cargo would be a key part of the death star technology and Han didn't know what he was getting into.

Star Wars: Rogue One finishes the "Death Star Trilogy". It already has Saw Guerera and Krennic and Erso. So we've given a little back story on those three in reverse... and tie ins to the other Star Wars movies could be endless.

Reaction score
ok.... so no one was interested in that :(

Or I need to create my own Obi Wan Movie suggestions thread.

I think a trilogy in reverse is a novel idea and making it a trilogy about creating the Death Star is interesting.

We see the Death Star at the end of Ep III / We could see some part of that technology being sought after in Obi Wan and Han Solo Anthology movies / then we see the end result of Jyn and Co. having to get the plans to destroy it.

Reaction score
I've just never been interested in this all that much, I got to see everything I needed to from TPM to ANH. That said, I wouldn't be against seeing a movie or two about his adventures when he was younger. Prior to TPM. But I really don't feel a need to see what happens between ROTS and ANH. While I'm sure he didn't just sit in his hut all day, he was there to watch Luke. So him gallivanting off on missions across the Galaxy every week, seems unlikely. or at the very least, boring. After all, he wouldn't want to draw attention to himself.

I did see and article of him expressing interest in a couple stand alone Obi-Wan films though.

Reaction score
Not every Star Wars story needs to be a trilogy, so I'm fine with one or two (assuming the first film is successful) movies based on Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, my thoughts immediately go to Orlando Bloom being involved in The Hobbit trilogy. Bloom was excited to reprise the role and I'm sure the idea sounded like a homerun from a studio executive's point of view; but it resulted in so much ridiculousness and unnecessary fluff that shoehorning Legolas into The Hobbit did more to detract from the story than add to it. Obviously, this would be a bit different because it's a standalone movie, but there needs to be an interesting story to tell. Excitement from the people involved in creating the movie is not enough to make a good movie.

I think a stand alone movie with Obi Wan could be brilliant. Ewan was one of the best parts of the Prequels. (It certainly wasn't Anakin or Padme.)

I think it would be interesting if the first three stand-alone movies were a Trilogy... IN REVERSE. Stay with me here:

A) Rogue One is set just before Ep IV and chronicles the taking of the Death Star Plans with Jyn Erso and company... Jyn is the Catalyst, but one of the other characters is the tie to Han Solo, which is the next stand alone movie.

B) Let's say this new Young Han Solo movie is set 10 years? before Ep IV and is an origin of sorts for him. But they need more than just "this is how Han became Han and met Chewy and got the Falcon". They could very easily have one of the characters that are with Jyn in Rogue One interact with a Young Han Solo. Since I don't know the whole story of Rogue One yet, I'm going to choose one that I think would work... Galen Erso - Jyn's father.

C) I haven't seen Mads Mikkelson on screen yet so I'm going on nothing, but If somehow Han is involved in transporting something dangerous for Galen Erso... we have a nice second act to our trilogy. You could even have a cameo for Krennic and/or Saw Guerera in there somewhere which would help tie the 2 movies.

D) OK... so Obi Wan is the 3rd of our Trilogy and happens almost directly after Ep III when he drops off Luke and is exiled to Tatooine. It would be fascinating to me to see his life on Tatooine and simply do the story of a runaway Jedi - Sharad "Howlrunner" Hett and his interaction with the Tusken Raiders. In the EU, this story was set much earlier in time and originally had Ki Adi Mundi coming to retrieve him and eventually led to Aurra Sing killing Hett and Mundi taking his son A'Sharad Hett back to Coruscant for Jedi Training. I say give the Ki Adi Mundi role to Obi Wan and keep everything else (except obviously the going to coruscant with his son as that would not be possible in this timeline). I'd include Jabba in there too and a new location on Tatooine also that is like a Kingdom that Jabba controls (so he's not just stuck in his Palace.)

E) So where's the tie in? My thought would be the Tusken Raiders are guarding a very important "something" that also relates to the death star technology that people are after. Hett isn't just a runaway after all. My thought would be that Bounty Hunters including a younger Saw Guerera are part of Obi Wan's movie and also feature in the new Han Solo Movie. In my scenario, the Han Solo Movie would be like a Last Man Standing type film where everyone is after Han Solo and his cargo where the Obi Wan Movie would be more of a "things are not as they seem" and the bad guy is not the bad guy thriller.

SO.... If we look at this in chronological order...
Star Wars: Obi Wan connects to Han Solo through Death Star Technology and the Bounty Hunters that show up in both movies. One of which could be a younger Saw Guerera. The whole movie takes place on Tatooine in an adventure to redeem a Jedi that is one of the "Lost 20" - a tie in to the Prequels, and a twist type thriller.

Star Wars: Han Solo connects to Rogue one through Death Star Technology and Galen Erso, whom he's doing a job for that goes south. Everyone is chasing him including Saw Guerera and Krennic. His cargo would be a key part of the death star technology and Han didn't know what he was getting into.

Star Wars: Rogue One finishes the "Death Star Trilogy". It already has Saw Guerera and Krennic and Erso. So we've given a little back story on those three in reverse... and tie ins to the other Star Wars movies could be endless.
Interesting idea, but trying too hard to tie everything to the Death Star would feel a bit too contrived. Eventually, Disney is going to have to start making Star Wars movies that don't revolve around a massive, planet destroying superweapon. So, the sooner they can start that, the better.