Obi-Wan Kenobi - BD34

Reaction score
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - BD34 v2

Looks like Hasbro used the tractor beam scene as a reference for the right hand sculpt, as he does use his right hand to distract the two Stormtroopers.

Reaction score

The PT obis look much better than this due to requiring less softgoods - even when the jedi robes inevitably look crap you can at least take them off and by the looks of it have great figures underneath - but Old ben has a long skirt beneath the robes and obviously for an SA figure this required SG - but it looks stupid - an overlong triangle dress with two poorly attached draping flappy things. And the fact he looks too young. When will the anti-SG part of the audience get their definitve old Ben?

Reaction score

Cramer said:
Great figure. I needed to replace his hands with the VOTC Ben, because I don't get the Force wave hand and I want him to hold a saber. When did he ever make that gesture, with that hand? Anyway, the VoTC Ben's hands are a little more pink, which actually looks accurate because Alec Guiness' hands were pinkish and swollen looking.
Some pics, for your viewing pleasure

That's no moon

HAHAHAHAH That Chewie in the first pic is priceless

Reaction score

I grabbed a second Ben today for my Falcon.

If anyone wants his table/holo leia/cloak just send me a PM. $3 shipped.

Reaction score

hmmmm...
interesting offer but i still need the ben figure myself.

Reaction score

Devo said:
The PT obis look much better than this due to requiring less softgoods - even when the jedi robes inevitably look crap you can at least take them off and by the looks of it have great figures underneath - but Old ben has a long skirt beneath the robes and obviously for an SA figure this required SG - but it looks stupid - an overlong triangle dress with two poorly attached draping flappy things. And the fact he looks too young. When will the anti-SG part of the audience get their definitve old Ben?
And not forgetting this Obi is OT not PT! Lol! Even in ANH Ben's robes were all over the place when he came to the unconscious Luke. There's a simple quick fix for the under robe, cut it to ankle length, problem solved lol! It's what I plan to do at some point.

Ref mind tricking Stormies: Yep, I was pretty sure you get to see a quick flash of the two fingered salute lol! It is very sutble

Reaction score

Put it this way, unless the final release versions of Ep I and Ep II obi wan have brutal paintjobs or look horrible from angles other than the ones we've seen, I would consider Old Ben the weak link of this ''evolutions'' trio.

Reaction score

Yeah, it would've been nicer to get a new torso, which would've meant a solid ball neck post & not what we ended up with. Again though, a bit of glue fixes the wobble by the sounds. Also, Sir Alec's signature little pot belly isn't quite present with the VOTC torso, not really a deal breaker though for me.

However, the skirt - get over it.
It can be trimmed / modified slightly to look better, it's not a death sentence for this figure by any means. I'm GLAD GLAD GLAD it's SG, simply because the legs can serve their purpose. I could not think of anything more infuriating, than to have another plastic Jedi tunic encasing articulated legs. I admit the execution could've been better, but I'll be displaying him with the robe on anyway. The robe is great, just needs a few seconds of folding / styling to achieve the desired effect.

If anything, I think the EPI Obi-Wan's facial likeness is a little sketchy, & EPII Obi-Wan looks to have the BJ hip treatment, so hopefully those legs can be posed neutrally & not like he's going to break into star jumps. It could also mean the ugly 'gunslinger' look that the last few figures with updated hips had. Care to re-think the weak link theory?

Reaction score

Finally got a couple of these. I'm OK with the neck. Sure, it moves back and forth, but it stays in which ever position I place it, so I do not consider it "loose". Was planning on the quick glue fix, like several mentioned here, but now do not feel it necessary.

Reaction score

Darth_Brett said:
who wants to see Ponda finally get a damn update?!
lol

I finally got one of these recently (actually, my wife found it for me) & i've got to say i'm even more impressed than i thought i'd be, given quite a few of the issues brought up here. I wasn't sure about the face sculpt based on the pictures but in person it is really great! I also don't have a problem with the length od the inner robe. I think it works fine as it just brushes the ground if he's standing straight up.

If i had one complaint it's that they got the size & shape of his hood wrong. In the movie it's much smaller & comes to a point in the back/top. But with a little futzing I'm able to get pretty good results with it both on his head or folded back so it's not much an an issue really.

While not perfect, I think this is probably the best we'll get & honestly I'm quite satisfied. Overall he's a great figure.

Reaction score

Figure came in today, and I was impressed until I noticed just how bad that neckpost really is! So although it's not perfect, Ben Kenobi still looks pretty darn cool.

Reaction score

one thing i noticed about my ben after i opened him was that his neck was backwards. His adam's apple was in the back. After i popped his head off & fixed that, the neck was much more managable. In fact, I really like it as you can get much more realistic poses with upper AND lower ball joints on the neck.

I might stuff a bit of tissue paper in the lower joint though to tighten it up a bit. I did this with some of the heads i swapped on indiana jones figures when the ball was too small for the hole & it worked great. & unlike the people who were using drops of super glue or nail polish, the tissue method isn't permanent.

Reaction score

this wave has finally hit my area. scored kenobi tonight only one left in the store.

Reaction score

Daigo_Bah said:
A couple of in-cantina pics:

Hey DB...you have got some sweet looking dios, looks like a lot of love and time went into them....do you have any other threads with some pics of your dios?

***I also loved your dio of Luke and Ben chillin' at Ben's

Reaction score

I finally saw and picked up this Old Ben last night and it really is as sweet as it looked in the pictures. T

The tan part of his robe doesn't reall bug me, there's not not enough extra fabric there to ruin the look. But his brown outer robe is ridiculously poofy, there is way more fabric there than most other the other poofy Jedi robes I think.

Still, once I find a better robe for the figure, this WILL be the crazy old wizard figure I've been waiting for since the line started in 1995.

Reaction score

I finally opened mine up last night...and this is the best human fig Hasbro has made in years. My Ben's neck joint is just fine, it turns and pivots - and that pic of Ben's profile from above - is way off - you can pivot his neck up and down. His head stays on, and it's a nice tight fit.

This is a great fig, and I never buy the human figs cause the faces look like chit....but this one looks great and as close as we're gonna get for 8 bucks.

Buy it.
Open it.

and say "yea Mayor Bee, we finally have a good Kenobi!!!!"

Reaction score

FORUM SNEAK PEEK!
Okay, it's time once again to add a new series of Photo Archive updates to that galaxy far, far away...!!
Here's a preview of what's coming up soon here at Rebelscum:

More to come....

Reaction score

ETAndElliot said:
Got this today at Target. I was caught off guard at the checkout when this figure ended up costing me almost 9 bucks! Anyway, he looked good in the package and images I'd seen up to this point.

Disappointing figure. The neck is ridiculous. Way too skinny and loose. It doesn't look right, his head is always looking down. It's bad. The puffy soft goods are also pathetic. The robe is useless. I actually photographed him fighting the Vader, but it looked terrible because of the cloak and the fact that neither figure could properly grip the lightsaber. Yeah, even his regular hand doesn't hold the thing. There should have been an alternate right hand included.

What's good? The likeness, the accessories, paint apps. The neck is a killer for me, plus the fact that he can't hold his weapon and has this permanent "using the Force" hand...not good. The God awful cloth robe seems to be the same one Mace Windu had, but it fits even worse. I really can't stress enough how lame the neck is.

No biggie man.....his neck pivots, just pop that sucker back to get rid of the "hunchback" effect. "grin:

Reaction score

This is one of the most overrated figures of recent times. Its passable at best. The headsculpt, which is getting the most praise, looks too young. Then theres the softgoods - although theres no persuading you guys how stupid they look just as you won't persuade me they look fine.

Reaction score

Are you actually an Obi-Wan Kenobi fan Devo? Or do you just enjoy bagging this figure because you've come too far, & there's no turning back now?

Reaction score

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.

I must admit you're more likely to see me complaining about a figure in these forums than praising a figure. But thats because complaining is actually the more interesting thing to do - it generates discussion...or flaming but hopefully discussion in the main. Its also because I'm perfectly happy with much of what Hasbro does - it would be more effort to praise everything I do like than it is to moan about the stuff I don't. I just count on there being plenty of people to do the kissing up to hasbro to balance things out!

Reaction score

Nah, I don't get the neck complaints. What's wrong with it, I don't see. The Robe is actually great, because it has a stitch to hold the back of the hood down so it doesn't look like a cone head. I don't think any other robe has been able to accomplish this.
This is, as of now, my favorite figure I have.

Reaction score

Devo said:
I must admit you're more likely to see me complaining about a figure in these forums than praising a figure. But thats because complaining is actually the more interesting thing to do - it generates discussion..
Hey, I do my fair share of griping, don't worry!

I hear ya, I like a good discussion as well. It's always good though, when folks can approach the topic with a certain amount of objectivity. I really find it annoying when people seem to refuse to acknowledge things that are obviously not right etc, & want to argue for the sake of it. If you've got a strong enough case however, bring it on I say!

Although it's been tough to admit, I've conceded that this Ben figure isn't perfect - but I still think it's a damn good one regardless. After I mod mine (got some simple ones planned) he'll be stylin'.. & expect a couple pics too.

Reaction score

For anyone interested, I wrote to Hasbro about the quality of this figure (and I don't care what anyone says; this loose neck is a SERIOUS issue and one that should be taken care of).

Hasbro apologized left and right and then offered a replacement, which is fine, but I really don't think that they've fixed the neck issue yet. Thoughts?

-------------------

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc., and for bringing this matter to our attention. I apologize for any disappointment this may have caused.

Please be assured that I have shared your concerns with the product team. We will be pleased to arrange an exchange for you.

To help facilitate the process, we are sending you a postage paid mailing label to use when returning the Star Wars The Legacy Collection: Obi-Wan Kenobi to us. All you need to do is package up your return and place the mailing label securely on the package. Drop it off at the Post Office window and it’ll be on its way back to us.

Once the product is received at our returns facility, we will send a new replacement product. If there is a production delay and this product is not available we will replace it with a product of equal value.

Pete, I want to assure you that all of us are dedicated to maintaining quality products. I hope you and your family will enjoy our products for many years to come.

-------------------------

I think I'll just stick with the one I have! There's a little disclaimer at the bottom of Hasbro's email saying that if they don't have this figure, they'll replace it with another one of equal value. With my luck, I'll end up with a POTF2 Monkey Leia or something. Not that she's not cool!

Reaction score

THX_4077 said:
For anyone interested, I wrote to Hasbro about the quality of this figure (and I don't care what anyone says; this loose neck is a SERIOUS issue and one that should be taken care of).

Hasbro apologized left and right and then offered a replacement, which is fine, but I really don't think that they've fixed the neck issue yet. Thoughts?

-------------------

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc., and for bringing this matter to our attention. I apologize for any disappointment this may have caused.

Please be assured that I have shared your concerns with the product team. We will be pleased to arrange an exchange for you.

To help facilitate the process, we are sending you a postage paid mailing label to use when returning the Star Wars The Legacy Collection: Obi-Wan Kenobi to us. All you need to do is package up your return and place the mailing label securely on the package. Drop it off at the Post Office window and it’ll be on its way back to us.

Once the product is received at our returns facility, we will send a new replacement product. If there is a production delay and this product is not available we will replace it with a product of equal value.

Pete, I want to assure you that all of us are dedicated to maintaining quality products. I hope you and your family will enjoy our products for many years to come.

-------------------------

I think I'll just stick with the one I have! There's a little disclaimer at the bottom of Hasbro's email saying that if they don't have this figure, they'll replace it with another one of equal value. With my luck, I'll end up with a POTF2 Monkey Leia or something. Not that she's not cool!

Dude - a few years back I returned an Unleashed Battle Pack, 5 figs, something from ROTS, because one of the figs arms feel off....Hasbro sent me 5 full-sized Unleashed figs, 5. I forget what they were, but I gave them to some friends and a few to my bro. I don't know if some lines got crossed, or what, maybe they thought they had to send me 5 Unleashed figs, instead of an Unleashed battle pack with 5 figs.

So I thought to myself, "Mmm. I wonder what else they'd do." I sent in 3 or 4 of the same fig from the first evolutions sets that came out - if anyone remembers, some of the stormtrooper's and clone trooper's joints would break after the first bend - guess what I got in the mail a few weeks later????????? 3 or 4 full evo sets!!! I thought it was frickin' hilarious!!! I could not believe what could possibly go through that would have them do this.

I'd do it more, but it's kind of a pain in the a$$, and the process takes about 2 months or so - with the emailing back and forth and waiting for the packages. But if you have a lot of time on your hands, a lil time for blazin', and like walking out to get your mail one day and go, "wtf is this??" I'd highly recommend F'in with Hasbro - just to see what happens!!

Reaction score

lol Great story! I am gonna go write a letter to Hasbro about how my Spacetrooper cam missing a piece!

Reaction score

hm, one of the arms absolutely doesn't fit on my FX-6. wonder if i should try mailing it in.

Reaction score

I'm playing catch-up again this week with a new series of Photo Archive updates, this time focusing on wave 5 of THE LEGACY COLLECTION. Continuing today is the new Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi

More to come all week long!