Obi-Wan Kenobi - BD34

GNT

Reaction score
This one seems to have been rumoured for a few months, Maybe the SA Obi-Wan figure that we've all been waiting for.

What does everyone else think about seeing old Ben?

Reaction score
Re: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi

FINALLY!!!! i have been waiting for good version of old ben forever. And if the rumored Evolutions Ben, then its going to be SA, and that means Super Awesome!!!

Reaction score

One of my MOST anticipated figures at the moment. The VOTC version was horrendous, if they've borrowed from that at all I'll be justifiably ropable.

For him to be a TKO, he's got to have the following:
*a great Alec Guiness likeness
*a nicely done PROPORTIONATE SG robe
*modern flared sabre sculpt & hilt
*a bottom 'skirt' piece that's a blend of SG & possibly a plastic lower sash piece
*a cool accessory like his chest w/ goodies perhaps
*SA is a must

Fingers crossed..

Reaction score

I think they can leave out the accessories this time around. If it's from an EVO pack, I'd expect basic (and accurate) accessories: A sabre, and a hilt. Maybe an extra Anakin/Luke hilt, but that's really all he needs.

Reaction score

I am really hoping this figure is a winner. We need a nice ANH Kenobi.

GNT

Reaction score

Darth_Broem said:
I am really hoping this figure is a winner. We need a nice ANH Kenobi.
Well it'd be great if Hasbro could nail the likeness and articulation once and for all for this figure. We seem to get alot of great Vader figures but hardly any Ob-Wans for him to fight.

Reaction score

i can honestly say that no matter what kind of modern collector you are (army builder, OT, etc.) this is one fig that everybody will want.

my only worry is that hasbro will totally screw this one up and give us another plastic robe.

Reaction score

I doubt it. Most Jedi are being released with SG robes now, & Obi-Wan deserves no less. They'll hopefully incorporate the small wire piece into his hood like they did with Tsui Choi, I guess we'll see.

Reaction score

I have to agree with you Vintij, if they dont do the wire in the hood, then they have cheaped out, he needs to be SA, have a great likeness to Alec Guiness and have Soft Robes but made so they look good (I know hard job), also I want a little bit extra oooomph with my Obi Wan, I want them to repack the box from Luke Skywalker.

Reaction score

This, alongside ultimate versions of Luke and Leia (and Bom Vimdin!) are very high up on my ANH wishlist, so this is a step in the right direction

I'd like it super articulated, with a decent robe. The fact that it's from a pulled evolutions set makes the figure sound promising.

Reaction score

Thing is, although EVO has a decent rep overall, they have been known to cut corners too on occasion. For example, the EpII clone & EpIV Sandie's lack of a waist joint, the swivel elbows on Darth Maul & EpIII Anakin, no ankle joints on EpII Anakin etc. Plus, the Fett set was a poor offering - but I digress.

All I'm saying is, don't put your eggs totally into the EVO basket, because you might be disappointed, & none of us want that with old Ben do we?

Reaction score

That's a fair point - I only made that point with the Jedi Evolutions set in mind - haven't had a chance to find the Fett legacy set yet, but was thinking of holding out and waiting for the one with Boba's logo on his armour - I think they may rerelease it as part of the legacy collection (hopefully) - I'm basing that assumption due to the fact that the sith one will be, and the Fetts were shown next to the Padme set at a Toy Fair.

But I digest...

Back to Ben - I'm hoping for a lightsaber AND a hilt. After all, we need to be able to have him in that classic pose don't we?

Reaction score

Yeah, I think the lightsaber & separate hilt will be a given - & they better be updated versions. If there's no extra accessories I'm not that concerned as long as the figure rocks. As Captain Jack said, the only one that would be semi necessary would be an included Anakin/Luke hilt.

Reaction score

matt292 said:
But I digest...
I don't think you have the right word there.

But yeah, I'm pretty hopeful this is true.

Reaction score

This is an easy buy. I never got the VOTC figure, so he is very wanted.

Reaction score

I DID get the VOTC figure, so this new one is STILL very wanted

The Jedi Evo set's not the greatest example either, with Bantha-riding tiny-head Qui-Gon, giant-head wrong-saber ("But Lucasfilm approvededed it!" --Hasbro) Luke, and wrong-cut-knee Bultar (okay, that was a factory error most likely, but it's damn annoying to have to turn her shin sideways to get her right knee to bend; if they hadn't articulated her feet at all, more people would notice this I think). They also REALLY cheaped out on accessories with the Jedi. One robe between the 3 of 'em, no hilts, old sculpt for Qui-Gon's saber.

Wires in the robe would be great for Ben, both hood & hem. Ideally I'd like TWO Ben Kenobis (w/ and w/o robe), or one really great "Deluxe" Ben (if they ever made a tricked-out all-encompassing Deluxe line like Indy seems to have, with vehicles, playsets, 2-packs, etc) with swappable robed & unrobed arms, 2 plastic robes--soft plastic for flexibility--one with the hood sculpted down, the other with no hood, and a separate plastic hood that can just sit on his head & turn & whatever. Plus saber & hilt, Anakin hilt, training remote on a clear plastic stand...

Anyway. SA, hilt, saber, a good robe... that's what I want for this basic figure.
It's about time. Maybe next they can tackle Tatooine Luke and FINALLY get him right.

Reaction score

jeezus fricken $%#%^&*^&* what took so long.now just watch it suck.

Reaction score

He needs knee articulation so he can be seated in the new Falcon!

Reaction score

Cool, he's coming with the little table thingy and a Leia holo! I'm assuming that since the lower half of him is soft goods, he's coming with BJ knees this time. Anyway, I'm getting one for sure!

Reaction score

CommandoScorch said:
Cool, he's coming with the little table thingy and a Leia holo! I'm assuming that since the lower half of him is soft goods, he's coming with BJ knees this time. Anyway, I'm getting one for sure!
The Leia and table definitely make him worth buying in my opinion. Nice touch there, Hasbro. Very nice touch.

Reaction score

Based on a commment Curto(?) made when the Spirit of Anakin figure was release last year, I'm pretty sure that the new Ben's body is the same as Spirit of Anakin.

Which is awesome, awesome news. If they can get a good Alec Guiness face (hard to tell from the photo), this will truly be the definitive Ben Kenobi figure!

Reaction score

Wow! Apparently Hasbro didn't understand how badly the VOTC Ben sucked, so they are going to re-release him again? I love soft goods and all, but they simply DO NOT WORK with this figure. I thought this was going to be the mother-of-all-ObiWans since it was originally slotted for an evolutions pack. Now one can only assume that the other two forthcoming Obi's are just as bad. Thumbs down, Hasbro, thumbs down.

Exciterated for most of the other releases though!

Reaction score

Well it's not much different from the VOTC Obi Wan if it's not, this figure is the same maybes with better articulation in the arms (they have hopefully given him complete SA).

Reaction score

Supposedly at the panel, Hasbro said this Obi-Wan and Brainiac would not come with the tables in the slideshow..

It really should not be the VOTC Ben since it was supposed to be part of an EVO pack, and I doubt they would have put a repack in that line.

Reaction score

According to a couple of panel reports the tables with Brainac and Kenobi are not included, i think hasbro should rethink this since everyone is loving the two pack-ins.

Reaction score

Paulskywalker said:
According to a couple of panel reports the tables with Brainac and Kenobi are not included, i think hasbro should rethink this since everyone is loving the two pack-ins.
Ugh. How lame. Hasbro sure does a lot of UNNECESSARY stupid things to really get my goat as of late. If the blasted tables weren't in the pictures, I'd have never expected them! Now I will totally feel cheated. Brilliant move, Hasbro. Brilliant! What next? News that Wed-15 won't ship with the Jawa?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Reaction score

Shhhhh dont give them ideas, and there is Repacks in Wave 1, Luke and Han, hell Luke still hasnt been shrunk to right size, so theres no reason why they wouldnt use a VOTC Ben and just slightly retool him.

Reaction score

Looks quite good!
Too bad about the table. The Leia hologram appears to be new as well.
At least the pose looks different than the one that came with CTC R2-D2.
So what about the hologram itself? Will it still be included?
By the looks of it, there is a peg for it on the table.

Reaction score

Desfiy said:
Shhhhh dont give them ideas, and there is Repacks in Wave 1, Luke and Han, hell Luke still hasnt been shrunk to right size, so theres no reason why they wouldnt use a VOTC Ben and just slightly retool him.
Except that he originated from a canceled EVO pack, which have been pretty much all new and not repacked.(Not counting repacked EVO sets of course.)

Reaction score

This is outrageous. How can they make a table and not make it part of the release? This hasn't been done in the history of collecting. It's insulting!

Reaction score

DarthRevan211 said:
This is outrageous. How can they make a table and not make it part of the release? This hasn't been done in the history of collecting. It's insulting!

Actually, wasn't the Mustafar panning droid originally slated to be released with Anakin (or was it Obi-Wan?).

Needless to say, Hasbro won't release the tables on a card, but still. Things like this have happened in the past.

Reaction score

Heh, me too. I thought, "What an awesome pack in!" Dammit. Oh well, Obi-Wan looks alright so far, and even if he's just a repack I'll get him, since I don't have the original VOTC release.

Reaction score

Without the table? Most likely a pass. Though I may be suckered in just to get the droid part, I dunno. But all enthusiasm is utterly gone now for this guy.

BORING!!!!