Obi-Wan Kenobi - #01 (08)

Reaction score
Next to Gree this is easily my favorite of the wave. An awesome upgrade to an already definitive figure.

Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Curto. I'm really buying this bad boy now. It's gonna be hard to pass on Anakin with those BJ hips but those swivel elbows just [censored] me off!

Reaction score
^^
Yeah, that's the only thing holding that figure back from being definitive. Guess they gotta have a way to make us buy him again. I still picked it up though, since it's the best so far. I have him posed kicking Obi-wan in the face and it looks great. The Obi-Wan is fantastic and is worth every penny.

Reaction score
There are 2 things I don't like about this figure:

#1 The head doesn't stay on the body. It keeps falling off, and since it doesn't pop all the way down, his neck is long and looks weird.

#2 The skirt bunches up and it looks like Obi-Wan's packing a few extra pounds....probably from visiting Dexter's Diner one too many times!

#3 (adding one more) I'm kind of sick of this sculpt already...what is this, the 10th figure using this body? Give someone else a chance!!

Reaction score
I like the continuity error being preserved there in the middle photo! That's kind of disturbing to hear that the head comes off so easily, though.

Reaction score
Good photos Dan! You what rocks about this figure, the Vader and the platform/panning droid set? They'll make a terrific desktop playset set for the office! Lookin' forward to 'em!

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:

#1 The head doesn't stay on the body. It keeps falling off, and since it doesn't pop all the way down, his neck is long and looks weird.

#2 The skirt bunches up and it looks like Obi-Wan's packing a few extra pounds....probably from visiting Dexter's Diner one too many times!

#3 (adding one more) I'm kind of sick of this sculpt already...what is this, the 10th figure using this body? Give someone else a chance!!
That sucks, because I like the head. You're right about the way the articulation makes him look. I'm passing on this, but I'm a little tempted to get the Anakin even though I already have the Evolutions version. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro gives this another try and does better next time.

Reaction score
PadmeWan_Windu said:
I like the continuity error being preserved there in the middle photo!
I wondered if anyone would catch that!

Thanks folks...your comments/critiques are taken to heart. I have fun shooting the pictures...and I'm happy to hear you enjoy them!

As for the desk display.....yep, that's why you need to get all 3 figures! I have them on my desk now!

GNT

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:

Yeah I'm kinda over Obi-Wan as well
Looking at the pics his neck does seem a tad to long.

Reaction score
Great photos as alawys Dan. Just like the rest of this wave and the AT-AP, this archive update was well worth the wait. How you find time to do all this amazes me. Never feel you are doing bad by us by taking a while to do these.

I too am feeling that the skirt makes mine looks really wide around the......hips
. He also does seem to have a really long neck and in some pictures in the photo archive you can acually see the ball-joint which means it doesn't say on real well. But still it does seem to be a good Obi

Reaction score
Awesome pics, Curto. These and the Mustafar Panning Droid pics are the best, IMO.

Reaction score
If you have a dremel, you can smooth out the hip joints on the sides to make the "skirt" lay a little better on the sides. Also, you can dremel out the crotch area to allow the legs to get closer together so he doesn't stand so wide. While you are at it, you can dremel out the head a bit so it fits better.

Another option I'm toying with is swapping the cloth skirt with the plastic one from one of the previous 1834 versions of the this figure. I'm waiting until I find another to do this to.

Reaction score
Tontus314 said:
you can dremel out the crotch area
That line made my teeth clench! I can just hear it now...

Wife: "What are you working on, honey?"
Me: "Oh, just dremeling out the crotch area."
Wife: "Anything I can help with?"
Me: "No, don't you remember what happened the last time?"

Reaction score
In found this today at Wal-Mart, along with the Panning Droid. It is definitely the best yet, and the head likeness is really good. They also had the reissued Wave 8, but that's it. I missed Gree, Anakin, everybody...At least now I have somewhere that I know is getting them in. *Glares at Target*

Reaction score
I finally got this one today. Depsite being similar to the previous releases, the ball-jointed hips on this one are a major improvement.

Although, I tried to test out the hips on mine, and they seemed extremely tight. I almost felt like one leg was going to break. Finally, I got him to do the splits.

Just be careful.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I really was afraid he was going to break at one point. The new Anakin on the other hand had no such problems.

Reaction score
I had the same problem, so scared it was going to break. Thankfully, its fine.
The only gripe is have is that he sort of looks like a frumpy old woman.

Reaction score
I just picked this up and it seems like they fixed the ball-joint problem. Mine only has come off once and that was because i wanted to see just how far it could go. It went really far.

Reaction score
What I find weird is yesterday his right hand was still sturdy but today it's completely loose. I found out that the peg on the hand is too small for the pego hole. Any solutions for that?

GNT

Reaction score
A piece of blue-Tac into the hole in the arm maybe to fill it up and keep it in place if you didnt want to glue it

Reaction score
I ended up contacting Hasbro. They said it was a defect and to return it. I did but was not allowed an exchange so now I have to find him again.

Reaction score
got him yesterday at wal mart. man those hips are tight. i was finally able to loosen them up enough for some great poses. his head indeed comes off if you look at him the wrong way. so i swapped it with my ROTS Obi Wan's head. now it has more limited neck articulation but stays on better.

all in all i LOVE this figure!

Reaction score
So this figure's small parts apparently fall off at random, but the droideka's shield had to be that ridiculous shade of blue to eliminate a choking hazard?

Reaction score
In a Q & A they claimed it was made that way (and with the holes in it) to prevent a choking hazard. I assume they were saying it'd be easier to see if it somehow got stuck in a kid's mouth, but I would think the gagging noises and weird expression on the kid's face would be a giveaway.

They also said the color was to hide the pins on the sides, so I don't know, I guess Roger Clemens and Hasbro have the same legal counsel.

Reaction score
PadmeWan_Windu said:
In a Q & A they claimed it was made that way (and with the holes in it) to prevent a choking hazard. I assume they were saying it'd be easier to see if it somehow got stuck in a kid's mouth, but I would think the gagging noises and weird expression on the kid's face would be a giveaway.
Where are these children who have these freakishly large mouths that would allow them to even get the shield in their mouths to pose said hazard?

Reaction score
JediJunkie247 said:
Where are these children who have these freakishly large mouths that would allow them to even get the shield in their mouths to pose said hazard?

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I sit corrected.

Carry on.

On topic: I haven't noticed any major problems with my Obi-Wan, aside from the tight hips. Sure, when I opened him, his head popped off. But it went right back on just fine.

Reaction score
I guess my problem with my Obi-Wan's head isn't uncommon. That's unfortunate. I'm wondering now if I should return it. Problem is I'll have to look for him all over again. At the same time, if it is common I'd hate to find him again and have the same problem.

*sigh*

Reaction score
I shouldn't have said "in." Something like "stuck on" would have been more what I was trying to get across. But anyway...it's irrelevant to the topic, I just hate that shield.

And really, toys that fall apart when you take them out of the packaging or are playing with them or setting them up in displays only to have them fall and knock your other figures down like dominoes shouldn't make it to the mass production phase.

Reaction score
I compared the TAC '08 Obi-Wan head to the ROTS #55 Obi-Wan head. The problem is the hole that the neck post snaps into is too shallow on the TAC '08 head. I think Hasbro was going for a bit more poseability in the head, allowing it to move in a greater radius. As a result, though, it tends to pop off very easily, and sit too high on the neck post. Not much to be done about it, I'm afraid, as Dremmeling out the hole to make it deeper would result in an even loser fit.

Reaction score
Yeah, my OW head came off really easily. The hips made a loud cracking noise, like my grandmother when she stands up. Scary either way. The legs are a little rubbery. (on OW, not grandma). Addressing the Droideka shield, it is big enough to cup over a childs mouth and nose which could suffocate them. Not sure what that has to do with choking but that's what I think. The color is just stupid. It's cool that two fit together to make a full shield AND the figure fits inside.

Reaction score
Dremmelling is possible, it just takes a little bit of patience. You have to hollow out just a little bit at a time all the while maintaining the ball shape. After the test fit is to your liking, submerge JUST the head in boiling water, then cram it onto the post, then run under cold water. Worked like a charm on mine.

Reaction score
i noticed a lot of extra flashing on my obiwan's neck/ball joint. i'm thinking cleaning that up with an exacto blade might help the head fit better.

mine seems to have an even wider leg stance than the pilot obiwan?

Reaction score
JediKnutt said:
Addressing the Droideka shield, it is big enough to cup over a childs mouth and nose which could suffocate them. Not sure what that has to do with choking but that's what I think.
That's exactly what I meant, but I used the wrong word without even thinking about it. I just saw the safety hazard in the Obi-Wan figure and thought immediately of the one they allegedly tried to fix with that stupid messed up shield and ran with it. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to posts that don't make sense.

Reaction score
delta1162 said:
they use the same sculpt over and over and it is very annoying

True, however better a great figure being re-released to death than us receiving one year after year with minor tweaks on a not so great sculpt.

I've yet to see this or any of the TAC08 figures retail, although I did want a set, so maybe online would be the best route. I'm still over run with Legeneds Padme's and General McQuarries...

Sev

Reaction score
I reviewed this figure and I think it's great. There are some nitpicky problems and the new high standard of articulation actually held it back a bit but it's a great figure and one to definitely pick up.