Nostalgia in RDU

Reaction score
So I'm waxing a little nostalgia this afternoon. I'm curious if anyone has some good memories about seeing the old Kenner line in stores in the Raleigh area.

K&K Toys at Cary Village was my spot when I was a kid. I remember seeing the boxes of AT-ATs stacked up by the front windows; after hours of begging my Dad that Saturday morning, I got one

I also have a great memory of the Turret & Probot playset in the window display at K&K. I wanted to buy it, but it was the last one. The salesman actually sold me the one out of the window; I made her go look in the back to see if they still had the box, but they didn't. It's amazing how integral the packaging was to the toy, even at my young age in 1981.

K&K also used to have a notebook - they'd actually call people when new stuff came in. I remember the Saturday morning I got the call that the first wave of Jedi figures had arrived.

I also have vibrant memories of pegs and pegs and pegs and more pegs of LOBOT pegwarming at JC Penny in North Hills. Ha. Seriously, there were like 1000 of him.

Jedi vehicles first hit at Spencer Gifts in Crabtree - my best friend's Dad took us down there to get the Speeder Bike - and I recall seeing the Ewok Village on the shelf, too.

My Mom bought me the Imperial Shuttle on clearance at K-Mart (now WM) on Glenwood. It was like $5 or something ha.

So, any other long-time residents with good memories to share?

Reaction score
We moved here the first time in '84 so it was more Joe here for me.

I remember getting Tomax and Xamot, the bivouac, cobra glider and just about everything else at either G.C. Murphy at Crabtree or the Brendles right behind it!

Reaction score
Oh I got my share of Joe & TF stuff from Murphy's and Brendles, too. Along with the Crabtree K&K. And Tons 'o Toys out at Holly Park. And Roses (bought Yoda and Dagobah playset at Roses in South Hills)...

Another great SW memory that popped into my head - the only time I ever saw POTF on shelves was at K&K in Crabtree. They had the full range - but I was just getting old enough to get out of SW and into Joe/TF. So, I got 2 POTF figures for my 4th grade birthday (Imperial Dignatary and Luke Stormtrooper). I also clearly remember seeing the "Collectors Edition" Dewback and Vader TIE on the shelf that day, too.