Nostalgia for the 12" Hasbro figures (1996 - 2005)

Reaction score
Nostalgia for the 12\" Hasbro figures (1996 - 2005)

As a kid back in the Vintage days, I had very few of the 12" SW figures because of their cost and rarity. However, I always wanted a bigger selection of these figures since I liked the fact that, with the larger size, you can see more detail, have cloth clothing, etc.

So, I was very pleased when Hasbro announed in early '96 that they would be producing a line of 12" SW figures. However, I had no idea how broad & varied the line would become.

I remember buying 12" Obi-wan, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader in August/September 1996 and being glad that I could even find them. Out of these first four, the Obi-wan was the best - great likeness of Alec Guiness, and the robe/hood were spot-on. The Han Solo was a close second, and after that Luke and Vader (neither of which were that great). However, I was so glad these figures were out I was willing to overlook any flaws.

Flash-forward to early '97 - The Lando Calrissian, Sandperson, & Luke Bespin all came out. All were nice figures, especially the Lando, which was a great likeness with a very impressive cloth (silk-like) cape. And, it was great to have a 12" Sandperson - this was a figure I never in my wildest dreams ever thought would be produced in this format.

In Summer '97 the 12" ANH Leia (very nice figure), Stormtrooper, & Boba Fett (too small head) were released.

The C3-PO, Admiral Ackbar, & Tie-Fighter Pilot released later in '97 were also stellar figures.

However, the high point of '97 for these figures were the Exclusives, which hit in late Summer/early Fall of that year. I was actually able to track most of them down at retail stores (all with great difficulty, of course - and, in some cases I didn't find them until they were re-released a year later in '98). The Wampa/Hoth Luke (Target), Greedo (Sears), Sandtrooper (Diamond), Luke/Han Stormtrooper (Kay-Bee), Bib Fortuna/Luke Jedi (FAO Schwarz), Grand Moff Tarkin/DS Gunner (FAO Schwarz), AT-AT Driver (Service Merchandise), 6 Cantina Band members (Wal-Mart), & of course the superb Han Solo/Tauntaun (TRU) were all great, and would probably never have been released at all if they hadn't been exclusives.

In '98, we had some great figures as well, including Yoda, R2-D2, R5-D4 (an excellent figure). And, the Emperor looked fantastic - great sculpt/mold.

And, though there didn't seem to be as many exclusives this year, what did come out was phenomenal, including the superb Han Solo w/Carbonite Block, the Emperor/Emperor's Royal Guard 2-pack (both Target), the excellent Princess Leia in Hoth Oufit - IMHO one of the best 12" Princess Leia's ever (Service Merchandise), and the Wedge/Biggs X-wing fighter pilot two-pack (FAO Schwarz). I still regret not getting more than 1 of the E/ERG two-pack.

Also in '98 were the 12" Electronic DV /removable helmet, which was the best 12" Vader up to that point. Great detail, and the helmet/robes were spot-on. Also that year was the 12" Electronic Boba Fett (Kay-Bee Exclusive), which was another excellent figure. Both of these toys featured lines from the films.

And, some of the figures that came out as exclusives in '97 were released en masse in '98 - these included: Grand Moff Tarkin, AT-AT Driver, Han Hoth, & Luke Hoth. Though the packaging and details on the figure were slightly different, they were basically the same figures that had been released before.

In '99 the 12" figures, like the rest of the SW toys, were primarily devoted to Episode 1. Among others, I liked the 12" Qui-gon & of course the 12" Darth Maul (which was very tough to find).

In late '99 they came out with the 12" Han Solo Endor, Slave Leia, & non-flocked Chewbacca. All of these figures were just alright, but the non-flocked Chewie did look better than the flocked version that had come out earlier.

2000 was an interesting year - they came out with a combination of EP1 and OT toys, including a Mace Windu (w/blue lightsaber?!), Sebulba, & a TRU Exclusive Patrol Dewback/Sandtrooper.

Also in Fall 2000, the Speeder Bike w/Scout Trooper (Target Exclusive) came out. I never saw this at all, even though I searched for it everywhere. To this day I wish I had been able to find this toy, since, based on the pictures I've seen, it's one of the best sets in the line.

Circa 2001?! there was a Captain Tarpals/Kaadu Target exclusive that looked fantastic - this is another toy that I would never have expected would be made in this scale.

From around 2000-2005, we got the rest of the Bounty Hunters (IG-88, Dengar, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, & Bossk), all of which looked excellent - I liked how the IG-88 was able to become taller. Also during this time the 12" Garindan (Tattoine spy) & DS Droid were released - two other figures that were a surprise to me in this scale, but looked great. And, there was also a Superb Luke Skywalker Endor/Speeder-Bike released around 2001 - though not as cool as the Scout-trooper/Speeder-bike combo., this was still an amazing toy.

Anyway, this was a great line, and is unfortunately largely ignored these days by collectors because of the Sideshow 12" SW figures. However, though the Sideshow figures are unquestionably superior, it will still be years before they come out with as many figures as came out in the Hasbro line - plus, the diversity of Rebels, Imperials, Aliens, creatures, some vehicles, etc. that came out in the Hasbro line may never be equaled in the SS line.

And, if anyone knows of a website that has a comprehensive listing & pictures of these figures, please post it here. I would like to use something like this as a reference - Thanks in advance.

Also post any thoughts/memories of this line here. I'd be interested to know if anyone was as into collecting this line as I was when it originally came out. Also, if there were any figures that I forgot to list, please mention them - there were so many figures in this line I actually can't remember them all.

Side-note: I also remember reading something very interesting about this line in the "Star Wars Galaxy Collector", circa '98. Based on an interview with the people who were responsible for this line @ Hasbro, these figures were never actually advertised by Hasbro. I.e., there were never any magazine ads or anything similar letting collectors know about these toys - this helped keep costs down re: these figures. However, news about these toys was all over the Internet, which I think really helped make fans aware of them. I remember that in their heyday ('97 - '98), these were big sellers at retail.

Reaction score
Re: Nostalgia for the 12\" Hasbro figures (1996 - 2005)

Hasbro did produce some really cool 1/6 Star Wars stuff. A lot of it still holds up pretty good. One of my favorites is the Royal Guard. I like the fact that you can see a face behind the visor. With a little paint and time it isn't too hard to update the older Hasbro bodies for newer ones. In some cases just a new paint job. IG-88 is a great example. Even some of the accessories are awesome. The Hasbro Sith Speeder looks amazing with the SS Darth Maul. Sorry I don't have pics. I don't have a digital camera YET. I wouldn't know how to post them anyway
. I'm such a technophobe

Reaction score

In 1997 I started buying these and ended up owning around 100 individual 12" figures by the time 2005 hit.

I sold them all off and then thought I made a mistake because I wanted my kids to play with them so I went back and bought most of them back loose/complete and now my kids have around 80 of them to play with

Plus Daddy keeps 12" Lando Skiff and Electronic Boba Fett(the real Boba Fett voice) on his computer desk.While The Empereros Royal Guard x 2 sit on his bookshelves

I plan on getting about 10 more for them and I will be done!

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I had temporarily forgotten about the 12" Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder - superb vehicle/figure, and I was lucky enough to find this @ Wal-mart?! whenever it came out. The Darth Maul especially was nice, since this figure's expression was different than the one that came in the individual box back in '99.

I never found or even saw the 12" Lando in Skiff outfit, 6" Ewoks, or the 12" Biker Scout (sold separately from the Speeder Bike). From the pictures I saw, however, these were great toys and I wish I had been able to get them. These particular figures came out at that tail-end of the Hasbro 12" collection, and I got the impression they were being produced in smaller #'s than previous figures.

Reaction score

Creeping_Fear said:
In 1997 I started buying these and ended up owning around 100 individual 12" figures by the time 2005 hit.

I sold them all off and then thought I made a mistake because I wanted my kids to play with them so I went back and bought most of them back loose/complete and now my kids have around 80 of them to play with

Plus Daddy keeps 12" Lando Skiff and Electronic Boba Fett(the real Boba Fett voice) on his computer desk.While The Empereros Royal Guard x 2 sit on his bookshelves

I plan on getting about 10 more for them and I will be done!
I think the main mistake Hasbro made with their 12 inchers was trying to market them as collectors items with the 'Collector Series' logo on the box rather than as being for the kids. I gave my son all the early Hasbro 12 inchers to play with a few weeks ago (all the 1996 to 1999 figures - I hung onto Lando Skiff too as he kind of works quite well with Sideshow's 12 inch output as well as a few Hasbro others post 2000 such as Dooku, the Biker Scout and the VOTC Boba) and he LOVED them, although he came up with some crazy ideas such as having the hard plastic Chewbacca wear Luke's X Wing helmet and riding Darth Maul around on a Barbie motorcycle (not exactly Blood Fin...), but he wisely dragged Jar Jar around by his ears (I've taught him well)!

Reaction score

i avoided most of these during the time because i had long ago decided to only focus on 3 3/4" figures, because i dont only collect star wars and theres just too much stuff out there.
but im starting to get a big urge to pick some of these up.
my problrm is that i dont think alot of the humans and especially main human characters look that good. but the droids and some of the aliens are actually very nice. i did buy a few of the smaller ones back when they came out like the jawa 2 pack and the astromechs, as well as the bounty hunters and deathstar droid. but im noticing some nice ones now that i wasnt even aware before. plus some of the bigger stuff like the tauntaun and dewback are awsome but i just dont know if i would have the room for those.

Reaction score

These were cool figures and I bought a bunch of them (I still have about 30-40 of them, or more, still sealed) but, now they're just taking up room and I'd love to get rid of them along with the majority of my Hasbro figures, ships, playsets, etc.

Anyone know a good place to sell these without having to go to ebay?

Reaction score

bighead5 said:
These were cool figures and I bought a bunch of them (I still have about 30-40 of them, or more, still sealed) but, now they're just taking up room and I'd love to get rid of them along with the majority of my Hasbro figures, ships, playsets, etc.

Have you tried right here at the scum?

Reaction score

Skullsplitter said:
bighead5 said:

Have you tried right here at the scum?
No, but only because I haven't seen a "classifieds" section for these unless people are just creating their own FS threads in this spot. I've normally only sold Gentle Giant stuff which has a classifieds section so I dind't want to do the wrong thing.

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If something is in the wrong place someone will politely let you know and tell you were it should be. Good luck with your sale dude.

Reaction score

im looking for the ewok 2 pack if you have it?

Reaction score

Skullsplitter said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If something is in the wrong place someone will politely let you know and tell you were it should be. Good luck with your sale dude.
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

E_CHU_TA said:
im looking for the ewok 2 pack if you have it?
I don't know if I have a 2 pack but, I'm sure I have Wicket by himself at least. The problem is where?!

Reaction score

ThallJoben,

I'm with you! You read my mind! You were using an old Jedi mind trick! Anyway, I just realized that 2011 is the 15TH Anniversary of the 1996 Kenner Star Wars 12" Collector Series figures! This line was a dream come true for me! I turned 41 this year and I had 6 of the Vintage 12" SW dolls back in 1978-79. In 1987 I found 4 more at a catalog store MIB for only $4 each! I bought all they had- like 6 of each and made a nice profit off the extras! From then on I always wished for a NEW 12" SW line and from 1996-2005 Kenner/Hasbro exceeded my expectations! I am only about 30 short of the 160 SW 12" made in those 10 years! I like to have 2 of each- 1 MIB and 1 open for display! They still hold up today and can be found cheap on ebay! That was a decade of FUN for me! I like the Sideshow 12" SW too, but they are EXPENSIVE compared to the $20 Kenner/Hasbro! I wish Hasbro would bring 12" SW BACK to the MASS-MARKET for $20 each again!

*POLL TIME! BEST, WORST, and MOST WANTED of Hasbro 12" SW!

BEST- Bossk- Top him & other Bounty Hunters, Sideshow!

WORST- Hoth Leia- YELLOW SKIN?

MOST WANTED- Bespin gown Leia- Why wasn't she in Portrait line?

Why can Sideshow use SW actors' likenesses where Kenner/Hasbro did NOT? Other than that this line is my FAVORITE Star Wars figure line because of large scale, detail, and CLOTH costumes! Sideshow has a way to go!

Thanks, for the fond memories Kenner/Hasbro, I hope you bring the 12" Star Wars line out of hibernation like frozen Han Solo!

Reaction score

Have the entire Hasbro 12" run (except Plo Koon) proudly displayed in my toy room (basement), but will have to pack it up soon. Wife wants new carpet in the basement, so collection will have to hibernate for a little while. I havent really taken a good hard look at it for a while, and I think packing it will be sort of fun...getting to examine each piece again before it goes in the box.

BEST: TIE between Capt. Tarples w/Kaduu and Speeder bike w/scout

WORST: Super Battle Droid

Reaction score

Thanks for the reminder re: 2011 being the 15th anniversary of this line - very cool. It seems like just yesterday that I first heard about these in early '96 (from reading news online about the February 1996 Toyfair). I remember being somewhat concerned that they were going to use G.I. Joe bodies, but when I actually saw the figures later that year I thought they looked great.

What was especially great about this line was that, in most cases, they were a good price for what you were getting (i.e., roughly $20 each).

One of my biggest collecting regrets was not getting the 12" Dewback & Sandtrooper set at TRU when I saw this back in 2000/2001 - I especially regret this since it was on sale later, and I remember they had a ton of them on the floor.

I also am still dissapointed that I never even saw the 12" Speeder Bike & Scout-Trooper at Target when it was out in Fall 2000, despite searching everywhwere. From what I've seen/heard, this is a great set.

Even if Sideshow eventually release the Dewback and Speeder Bike in their line, it won't be the same. For one thing, I'm sure they will both be extremely expensive.

Reaction score

OK here's my two.
BEST - Count Dooku. Hasbro nailed Lee's likeness.
WORST - Zam Wessel. They weren't even trying.

Reaction score

I loved this line when it came out, and my wallet is happy it ended. I have 149 of them excluding any doubles. All still in boxes packed away for the day I have room to display them again.

Two of my favorite that I actually have two of, of which one is loose and on display are the Gamorrean Guard and the Biker Scout on Speeder Bike. The Biker is my favorite and it displays well. I can't think of any I did not like, but I am sure there were a few.

I remember the hunt for these things. There were many a long drives to other cities and numerous phone calls to Target, Walmart, FAO, and any other retailer carrying an exclusive. I am not sure which ones if any I may not have. I know someone said there were 160...does that include two packs or is that 160 individual figures?? I think I have all of them, except some of the Queen Amidala line that they did.

Thanks for the memories

Reaction score
Since there's some talk on the new Hasbro SW 12" line, I wanted to resurrect the thread I started several years ago on the original Hasbro 12" line from '96 - 2005. I was thinking about this line again recently, and am still impressed that Hasbro was able to come out with such a great selection of figures in a 9-year time period. As I mentioned in another recent post, I loved this line, and I wish they had continued with these figures.

Though I understand that Sideshow is putting out 12" figures with better quality, I'm not sure it was a good idea for them to get the license years ago. When these figures were first released in 2006?!, I remember the prices, though expensive, were still reasonable for what you were getting. These days, the prices are astronomical, and are always going up. Back in '06, the average price for one of their non-Premium format figures was around $85-$90. These days, the same figure will for for $150+.

Reaction score
Here we go. I am a New Englander and I found some at Bradlees. If your from New England then you remember Caldors, Ames and Bradlees. What great stores. I remember being in the Silver City Galleria, walking into Bradlees and running right to the toy aisle. I remember when I got there, their was a 12 Inch Luke, Darth and Obi I believe. I remember damn near shaking I was so shocked to find them. They were rare in my area. The only 12 inch I can't recall seeing is the Dark Blue Insert Chewbacca ever.

Why was he so rare?

Anyone know?

You never see them for sale?

Reaction score
Here we go. I am a New Englander and I found some at Bradlees. If your from New England then you remember Caldors, Ames and Bradlees.
lol - I remember. Caldors was the s**t when it came to SW toys back in the day.

Reaction score
...right on!!, originally from central MA, when I was younger the original lines we found very often and plentiful at the pre-Ames stores: Zayre's!!! Every time my mom and I were there, she'd grab me at least one vintage fig, I remember they were 1.99, and sometimes 2 for 3.00 near Xmas etc. I'll never forget picking out the Power Droid, and just being blown away by the leg motion noise. there was also a similar sorta mini-chain called The Fair, but it was more 80s.
lol - I remember. Caldors was the s**t when it came to SW toys back in the day.

Reaction score
I grew up on the East coast in the '80's, and do remember both Bradlees & Zayres - they had a great toy selection back in the day; not only Kenner SW, but also G.I. Joe: ARAH & Masters of the Universe. Zayres especially had a good selection of HTF toys. I also remember Memco (Memco pre-dated Bradless in my area), but that was more of a late '70's/'early '80's store, and I can't remember if they ever had that many toys (though they did have a grocery store)....

This is a far cry from the toy aisles in stores today; they've been shrinking for years and are getting worse as time goes on. But, that discussion is for another thread....

Reaction score
^ hey ThallJoben...did you ever p/u the 12" dewback/sandtrroper? i have 1 for sale

Reaction score
^ hey ThallJoben...did you ever p/u the 12" dewback/sandtrroper? i have 1 for sale
Thanks for asking, but, No, I don't have this yet. Right now, I just don't have the room or the $. Thanks anyway, though.

Reaction score
I loved the Hasbro 12 inch figure line and found it very affordable compared to Sideshows offerings which I do collect now.

Sometimes I wish Sideshow hadn't started making the 12 inch figures as I had most of the Hasbro ones and it was kind of a drag having to start again and at a higher price point.

I've sold off alot of my Hasbro 12 inch figures since as I always do this when Sideshow releases their version of a particular character Hasbro has already made.

The only exception is that I have kept Hasbro's bounty hunters as they still look great displayed either on their own or within my Sideshow Jabbas Throne setup.

Sure Hasbro had a few stinking turds such as Zam Wessell and Padme AOTC (just a couple that I thought of straight away) but on a whole they did an awesome job for the price point.

I still have a few of the Hasbro 12 inch figures that I'll probably keep or will only get rid of if Sideshow makes a version such as Admiral Ackbar, Gamorrean Guard (goes well with my sideshow ones), Bikerscout and speederbike set, bounty hunters (includes VOTC Boba Fett), R2-D2 and C-3P0, VOTC Chewie, Wicket, Ponda Buba, Garnidian, Count Dooku, Electronic Emperor, Ceremonial Leia, Hoth Leia, Emperors Royal Guard, Valorum/Senate guard 2 pack, Qui Gon/Padme Defense of Naboo 2 pack, Super Battle Droid, deluxe Jango Fett and a few others that I can't think of. :awesome:

Reaction score
Finally some people who I can relate to.
I am also a collector of the 12 inch lines from 1996-2005. I am up to 131 factory sealed figures...and still counting. I'm glad I have collected these over the years because the ones Disney is putting out are HIDEOUS!!!

BEST?...My 1997 Hong Kong Commemorative Edition 3-Pack of Luke, Vader and Obi-Wan.

WORST?...My Princess Leia in Hoth Gear (she's F-ugly)

MOST WANTED?...A factory sealed Chewbacca with Dark Blue Insert. (Hey! I can dream)

Below is a link to my action figure showcase collection on DASH. Check it out!

Durazor's Collection Showcase | Collector-ActionFigures

Reaction score
I am also a collector of the 12 inch lines from 1996-2005. I am up to 131 factory sealed figures...and still counting. I'm glad I have collected these over the years because the ones Disney is putting out are HIDEOUS!!!

Which are the ones that Disney is putting out?

Reaction score

BEST?...My 1997 Hong Kong Commemorative Edition 3-Pack of Luke, Vader and Obi-Wan.

MOST WANTED?...A factory sealed Chewbacca with Dark Blue Insert. (Hey! I can dream)

Fantastic website - Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a site that has good pictures of the 12" Hasbro line, and this is quite comprehensive.

I have to respectfully disagree that the 12" Leia in Hoth outfit isn't that great of a figure. I got this back in 1998 when it was released (Service Merchandise exclusive), and think it's one of the better 12" figures out there. That being said, I agree the face sculpt doesn't look like Carrie Fisher....

Reaction score
Your welcome.
Fantastic website - Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a site that has good pictures of the 12" Hasbro line, and this is quite comprehensive.

I have to respectfully disagree that the 12" Leia in Hoth outfit isn't that great of a figure. I got this back in 1998 when it was released (Service Merchandise exclusive), and think it's one of the better 12" figures out there. That being said, I agree the face sculpt doesn't look like Carrie Fisher....

Reaction score

Haha... I forgot that the Hoth Leia was a Service Merchandise exclusive.. Now I remember that was a pain to get. Called numerous times and no one knew about it... finally was able to order, then i remember going down and talking to every freaking employee...then ordering...waiting by the conveyor belt.. some other product came out..wasn't it.... had to talk to 3 managers... finally got one that was beat up, returned, finally was able to snag one in good shape and was able to take her home. Alls well that ends well.

Reaction score

Yeah, funny I clicked and perused your 12" collection and the one thing that I said to myself was "sweet Hong Kong pack". Then I went and read your post.

Reaction score
Ha! The Speederbike with Scout Trooper, to me is the nicest overall sculpt. The 100th Luke and Ultimate Jango Fett are great as well but I take the packaging design into consideration (I've worked in package printing before so it's important to me) Thanks for browsing. I also have my Hasbro Limelight post but it hasn't been updated for a while. I know how you felt about trying to get your figures back then, it was a ***** fighting all the other collectors down in L.A. to get mine.
Yeah, funny I clicked and perused your 12" collection and the one thing that I said to myself was "sweet Hong Kong pack". Then I went and read your post.

Reaction score
Wow!!! jedyknyt. Great photo reference for the 12 inch. I thought I was about the only person left still collecting these.

Reaction score
I'm the only person in Poland collecting these figures ;] Shipping from USA ruining my household budget ;]

Reaction score
No Jason73, you're not alone. Thanks for the props. I just updated my collection and added 3 more figures (134 as of today) and rearranged them, so feel free to check out.

I wish more peeps would post on this thread because it was dormant for a long time, but oh well. Glad to see more postings. I would love to see a Limelight thread dedicated to just the 12 inch lines, does anyone know how we can start this???

Wow!!! jedyknyt. Great photo reference for the 12 inch. I thought I was about the only person left still collecting these.

Reaction score
My wife and I recently bought a house and I'm going to have much more room to display stuff. Setting up my entire 12 inch Hasbro collection is top priority.

Reaction score
As a heads up, I am selling off my Hasbro 12" collection. Most are still in decent packaging. But too many to list now as I am at work and on a cell. But lmk if there's any figs you are interested in and I may be able to help. I will soon have a full list up in classifieds section. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Haha... I forgot that the Hoth Leia was a Service Merchandise exclusive.. Now I remember that was a pain to get. Called numerous times and no one knew about it... finally was able to order, then i remember going down and talking to every freaking employee...then ordering...waiting by the conveyor belt.. some other product came out..wasn't it.... had to talk to 3 managers... finally got one that was beat up, returned, finally was able to snag one in good shape and was able to take her home. Alls well that ends well.
I remember those days well. As a collector, tracking down the the 12" line from 1996 - 2005 @ retail was extremely challenging, and something I don't miss. In particular, the 1997 & 1998 store exclusives were extremely HTF. I remember the Luke Wampa (Target) & the 6 Cantina Band Members (Wal-mart) were tough to find in '97 (I never saw them), though they were slightly easier to find when they were re-released in '98.

I never once saw the Speeder-Bike/Scout Trooper, Lando Skiff, or Ewok 2-pack.

Possibly the most underrated 12" figures were the ones from the PT, since most of them came out at the tail-end of the line:

12" Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder (Wal-mart exclusive)

Sebulba (almost impossible to find at retail)

R2-A6 - like the dark green color, and I'm also big into obscure R2 units...

Pit droids two-pack

Captain Tarpals w/Kaadu (Target)

TC-14 - great voice-chip, and ironically I got this version long before I got the 3 3/4 version....

Mace Windu - sure, he comes with the wrong color lightsaber (blue, since it came out for TPM, which was before you saw the purple saber in AOTC), but this is still a decent sculpt...

Shaak Ti - one of the my favorite PT 12" figures; excellent sculpt, and one of the last figures to be released in the line.

Baris Offee - another amazing sculpt, with excellent cloth robes...

Reaction score
I got into these a little bit back in the day. My favorite was the Bossk that was found under a basedeck at Target back in 2005. It's a little dinged up but not too shabby. I paid something like $2.56 for that bad boy...