Nien Nunb

Reaction score
He was still in stock on HTS as of this morning. I think there is a free ship code for May the 4th

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk
Good to know - Thanks. I have all of the previous versions of the character (including the '83 Vintage). So, though I think the TFA version is cool, I can wait to see if I can find this @ retail. Also, the only online company I feel comfortable ordering from is Amazon, and NN is overpriced there right now ($13+).....

JVM

Reaction score
Wow - after reading through much of the thread, I realized that this TFA figure is the fourth time Nien Numb has been made as an action figure:

1983 original ROTJ line (IIRC, I think Nien Numb was one of the first mail-away figuresin the line)

1997 POTF line

201X?! TVC line

2016 TFA line

For an obscure alien, this guy has been consistently popular as a figure over the years...
Five if you count the pilot version from TLC.

I never owned a Nien Nunb figure as a kid and only got the POTF2 version two years ago. Been trying to collect him mercilessly since, but only got the original vintage and just the other day, TFA version. A bid on a TLC one was sniped in the meantime. TVC shot up too high... but the crap paintjob and scale make me feel like I'm not missing much.

Obscure might be a little relative here though. I'd say he's on par with Admiral Ackbar, and while Ackbar actually has about an equal number of figures, he still has massive popularity even among casual Star Wars fans who don't even remember or care about most of Return of the Jedi.

Anyway, as for the TFA figure itself...I wish they'd used darker paint on the vest and something still feels off about the head but I can't put my finger on what.

Reaction score
Five if you count the pilot version from TLC.
Hmm. I think I know what you're talking about - is this the version in the white B-wing flightsuit that came with the B-wing? If so, was this supposed to specifically be Nien Numb, or just another character of this same alien race?!

Maybe obscure isn't the right term since NN was seen in several key scenes in ROTJ. However, he isn't in that many scenes & I don't think most no-SW fans know the characters' name. Could be wrong about this, though....

Reaction score
Hmm. I think I know what you're talking about - is this the version in the white B-wing flightsuit that came with the B-wing? If so, was this supposed to specifically be Nien Numb, or just another character of this same alien race?!

Maybe obscure isn't the right term since NN was seen in several key scenes in ROTJ. However, he isn't in that many scenes & I don't think most no-SW fans know the characters' name. Could be wrong about this, though....
Not white but red outfit.

http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBD19Nien.asp

The guys with the white outfit came in the Pilots Evolution 3-pack, his name is Ten Numb

http://www.rebelscum.com/tlcEVORebelPilots1.asp

Reaction score
All this talk of the Vintage Collection Nien Numb being too short is silly. The recent "Awakens" visual dictionary has a image of him and he looks rather short. Way closer to the Vintage Collection NN's proportional height, to the head size. Regardless, I just got the new Nien Numb, his paint was sloppy but at least I'm glad I have it.

JVM

Reaction score
There's a figure of Nien Nunb in a flight suit and two figures of Sullustan pilot Ten Nunb, including the one you're referring to. AaylaSecuras man has the details and links.

He's a secondary character. I think most people could recognize his face in the same sense even a lot of casual fans can recognize 'Hammerhead', 'Greedo', 'Walrus Man' and 'Admiral Ackbar', but not a lot of people might know his name or place his role in the story. I've seen jokes about 'Lando's co-pilot' outside SW circles before, for example. But I'd say he's around par with Ackbar, if not for the memetic line.

All this talk of the Vintage Collection Nien Numb being too short is silly. The recent "Awakens" visual dictionary has a image of him and he looks rather short. Way closer to the Vintage Collection NN's proportional height, to the head size. Regardless, I just got the new Nien Numb, his paint was sloppy but at least I'm glad I have it.
I believe Mike Quinn, who plays Nunb, is around 6'4". We see him standing next to other humans in TFA and he's not chest height like the TV figure seems. He's on the short side in ROTJ but he's still within normal human height. The TVC figure, from photos I've seen, looks a head below a lot of other characters. I'm not the best judge though - I never noticed how tiny Carrie Fisher was as a kid and the first time I got one of the realistically scaled Leia figures I thought it was too much :p

It still looks like an awesome figure I'd love to have someday. I think the problem is more so how short he is than that he's short at all.

Reaction score
I believe Mike Quinn, who plays Nunb, is around 6'4". We see him standing next to other humans in TFA and he's not chest height like the TV figure seems. He's on the short side in ROTJ but he's still within normal human height. The TVC figure, from photos I've seen, looks a head below a lot of other characters. I'm not the best judge though - I never noticed how tiny Carrie Fisher was as a kid and the first time I got one of the realistically scaled Leia figures I thought it was too much :p

It still looks like an awesome figure I'd love to have someday. I think the problem is more so how short he is than that he's short at all.
Regarding his height, I prefer to go off what we see onscreen and in ROTJ he is fairly tall! The same height as average characters, so to make him around 4/5ft scale for TVC figure is really inaccurate and big mistake.

Reaction score
Wow - after reading through much of the thread, I realized that this TFA figure is the fourth time Nien Numb has been made as an action figure:

1983 original ROTJ line (IIRC, I think Nien Numb was one of the first mail-away figuresin the line)

1997 POTF line

201X?! TVC line

2016 TFA line

For an obscure alien, this guy has been consistently popular as a figure over the years...
That's a lot for a guy that essentially wears the same outfit for 30 straight years. But that's Star Wars for ya.

I have the vintage, POTF2, B-Wing pilot, and TFA versions and that's almost too much for one background character. Oh well.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Well, he had quite a growth spurt between films. In ROTJ he was a hand puppet and in TFA, he was a Mask. I think people assume he is short because he looks short compared to Lando when they are seated in the MilF. He is also stocky so he looks shorter than he is (kinda like how slender ROTJ Carrie was so "proportionately" she looked taller than she was.)

JVM

Reaction score
I hate to mix myself up in this, because I don't own the TVC figure as of yet, and I never complained about size much myself. If there's one thing I'd complain about it's the cold, lifeless paintjob on the TVC version... but...

Compare this to this and you can see already the figure's at least a LITTLE small, and this scene from ROTJ, which Hasbro seems to consider Nien Nunb based on the B-Wing Pilot figure, also shows him relatively human-sized. Mike Quinn confirmed at JTA that scene has a guy in a suit, before Nunb was picked "out of the chorus line" for him to play on the Falcon. That's all nonwithstanding this screenshot from TFA showing him in the crowd.

All that said, I have the Kenner, POTF2 and TFA versions and I'm happy to collect what's left of Nunb, obscure or otherwise :)

Reaction score
I hate to mix myself up in this, because I don't own the TVC figure as of yet, and I never complained about size much myself. If there's one thing I'd complain about it's the cold, lifeless paintjob on the TVC version... but...

Compare this to this and you can see already the figure's at least a LITTLE small, and this scene from ROTJ, which Hasbro seems to consider Nien Nunb based on the B-Wing Pilot figure, also shows him relatively human-sized. Mike Quinn confirmed at JTA that scene has a guy in a suit, before Nunb was picked "out of the chorus line" for him to play on the Falcon. That's all nonwithstanding this screenshot from TFA showing him in the crowd.

All that said, I have the Kenner, POTF2 and TFA versions and I'm happy to collect what's left of Nunb, obscure or otherwise :)
No, hes massively too short, Nien Nunb is a tall human sized character in ROTJ. TVC figure is almost Ewok sized! ;)
But I do agree that the paint job is so dull on TFA figure.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looking at your side by side comparisons, he is taller than I remember. I still maintain that his stockiness give off the illusion of shortness.

Reaction score
Looking at your side by side comparisons, he is taller than I remember. I still maintain that his stockiness give off the illusion of shortness.
I dont know how Hasbro got into him being short, I think other licencees have done similar things? But I prefer to go off what is onscreen and he is definitely tall!

Check out Nien in this screencap

GNT

Reaction score
I dont know how Hasbro got into him being short, I think other licencees have done similar things? But I prefer to go off what is onscreen and he is definitely tall!
Just creative decisions to get the figure made at the time, possibly not enough material available when designing the figure. The trouble is since everyone had the Kenner figures as a kid it's ingrained in their minds that what they played with is the correct way the item was on screen when in reality it's not. Same goes for Hoth Han, Kenner made the decision to release it with a blue coat possibly based on having bad pictures at the time but just because they made it doesn't mean it's right.

Reaction score
I ordered TFA Nien Nunb figure from Amazon for $11.99. Don't typically like ordering figures online (especially for more than retail price), but I really want the figure & haven't been able to find it at any retail stores. Since Rogue Squadron figures will be in stores later this year, I don't know if this figure will be carried forward into future waves....

Reaction score
Just got the TFA Nien Nunb. Amazing sculpt. Definitely one of the best figures in the line. Extremely HTF @ retail, so I'm glad I ordered this online.

Reaction score

Nien Numb is a great figure. As with most of the Force Awakens line, it's allure is the strong sense of nostalgia.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk
Thanks for that pic! Answered my question of whether the new 5POA head would fit on the VC body. Looks like it would make him look like a midget bobblehead, so...pass... Having said that, I'd love a SA TBS version based off of the 5POA one. VC Nien is pretty pricey (saw a bunch for $50+ before I managed to snag one for $18) and even those who got him don't seem to be terribly satisfied with him. Why not knock out a TFA and a RoTJ figure in one fell swoop?

Reaction score
I found the TFA Nien Nunb at an out of town Target today. I really love this figure. It has great balance so it has no trouble standing up, it holds the blaster nice and tight in it's right hand and the straight arm pose works well and looks great when he's aiming his pistol. And or course, the figure has an incredible sculpt. It's definitely my favorite TFA figure.

Reaction score
I found the TFA Nien Nunb at an out of town Target today. I really love this figure. It has great balance so it has no trouble standing up, it holds the blaster nice and tight in it's right hand and the straight arm pose works well and looks great when he's aiming his pistol. And or course, the figure has an incredible sculpt. It's definitely my favorite TFA figure.
Agree.

He's an incredible figure and in my top few favorite TFA figures aswell.

Reaction score
I saw about five Nien Nunbs at Target earlier this week. No sign of his casemates though. Has anyone else seen signs of this wave at Targets?

Reaction score
Quick question for folks in other areas....
In a few Targets around my area, the Hassk Thug/Han Solo/Rey(Resistance) wave is reappearing with some regularity. This wave I do not need, however I did miss out on the Nien Numb/Kylo Unmasked/Squad leader ST wave, as well as the Ackbar/Fifth Brother/Tasu Leech wave.

Is anyone seeing either of those 2 other waves making "come-backs" in their local areas?

Reaction score
Quick question for folks in other areas....
In a few Targets around my area, the Hassk Thug/Han Solo/Rey(Resistance) wave is reappearing with some regularity. This wave I do not need, however I did miss out on the Nien Numb/Kylo Unmasked/Squad leader ST wave, as well as the Ackbar/Fifth Brother/Tasu Leech wave.

Is anyone seeing either of those 2 other waves making "come-backs" in their local areas?
No stores around me are stocking any of these waves (nor did they at the time of release, I had to get most of these online) however, here on the East Coast there is a chain of specialty stores Newbury Comics. I have seen the Tasu/Ackbar/Fifth Brother wave at multiple of those stores recently

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Not sure how availability was for Nunb after the early months of this year, but I just saw a good number of these at a Five Below I passed through yesterday, at $5 each.

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but I was looking at my TFA Nien Numb the other day and this is - hands down - my favorite action figure rendition of the character. Even though the TVC version (which I don't have) has more articulation, this TFA figure captures the character the best out of all of the versions - IMHO.

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but I was looking at my TFA Nien Numb the other day and this is - hands down - my favorite action figure rendition of the character. Even though the TVC version (which I don't have) has more articulation, this TFA figure captures the character the best out of all of the versions - IMHO.

Its way better than TVC version, cos they made that one weirdly short and it looks ridiculous.

Reaction score
I really never noticed a how short he was, mainly because I never compared hm to other versions of himself. And he was always shorter than Lando anyways, so I let it go. But I really can't believe they made him so tiny. Again I'm not too bothered as he's never standing in ROTJ, and only n a few scenes. My priority is with other characters. Also, it's not like he cannot be fixed with Keyan Farlander's legs?

I've always preferred the other Sullustan anyways, no skull cap and can be sued for customs. :grin: