Nien Nunb

Reaction score
Any calculator that tests diminished quality indexing of the product since 1978? Seems like quality of the product should increase over the last 3 decades (which technically happened and then abruptly un-happened with this release).

Reaction score
​Not impressed. Something looks weird about Nunb, both in the film and this figure. Also it really should have come with a helmet.

Reaction score
​Not impressed. Something looks weird about Nunb, both in the film and this figure. Also it really should have come with a helmet.
The reason he looks weird in TFA is because his head is too large for his body. In RotJ, he was not a man in a mask: he was a puppet.

Reaction score
The paint on his face looks a little lackluster. I'll have to see him in person before I decide. I still actually like my POTF2 version and I really don't see any reason to have two Nien Nunb's. The toned down body might win me over though....

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to get this; I already have the TVC version. If it had a helmet, maybe but...nah.

Reaction score
looks almost as good as the original kenner figure. Which I have. passing on this cheap effort, i'll pick up TVC version on the secondary market. I feel sorry for people who are just starting to collect star wars figures. Dark times these are.

Reaction score
i'll need to check my parts bin. i either have a spare nunb or aalya helmet from one of the pilot evolution sets, however, i believe it's the aalya (or whatever that EU pilot's name is/was). But if it is the nunb style helmet, i may try to repaint it if it'd fit on tfa nunb's skull

Reaction score
In the JediInsider pics the paint looks pretty weak on this guy. If the prototype is that sloppy imagine what the final products will look like

GNT

Reaction score
Looks really good to me, very vintage like and not ruined with a helmet.

Reaction score
I guess we were spoiled by the amazing vintage collection version from a few years ago.

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel a little let down. Nien Nunb's appearance doesn't change much between ROTJ and TFA, so this figure feels more like a retread than anything new. I would have preferred him with his helmet, even if it meant a - gasp! - nanner visor.

Reaction score
Seems kind of crazy to me he hasn't aged much and he's wearing the same outfit 30(+) years later.

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel a little let down. Nien Nunb's appearance doesn't change much between ROTJ and TFA, so this figure feels more like a retread than anything new. I would have preferred him with his helmet, even if it meant a - gasp! - nanner visor.
I honestly can't see where there would be that much of a difference, as we don't know the particulars of their lifespan. Look at Chewy, he looks younger in the St than he did in the OT. Go figure.

Reaction score
Look at Chewy, he looks younger in the St than he did in the OT. Go figure.
I kind of figured that Wookies have their own version of the "Benjamin Button" Disease. Of course you would have to ignore the way Chewie's family was presented in the holiday special if that was the case (although maybe Lumpy was his father and not his son......)

JVM

Reaction score
Need to see more pictures to decide on this one. He definitely looks a bit wacky here. I'd say the figure almost looks younger than the others.

Reaction score
Yeah I thought the design was a little wierd. New outfit, but it looks exactly like his old one? Plus they didnt ages his face? At least Ackbar got a new uniform.

Reaction score
I honestly can't see where there would be that much of a difference, as we don't know the particulars of their lifespan. Look at Chewy, he looks younger in the St than he did in the OT. Go figure.
I still can't believe they didn't grey Chewie's fur a little.

Reaction score
Not necessarily a gray Chewie. But some grayish peppering, or a streak like Rogue has. Or a more pronounced grayish beard area. Something that makes him look older than he was in ROTJ, but not look younger!

Reaction score
Not necessarily a gray Chewie. But some grayish peppering, or a streak like Rogue has. Or a more pronounced grayish beard area. Something that makes him look older than he was in ROTJ, but not look younger!
I agree that Chewie should have had a bit of age showing. I picture it like an old dog, with the gray concentrated mainly on his face and around his eyes, with the rest of his body looking mostly normal.

Reaction score
It makes sense to show aging as the passing of time in cinema and I get that having the Chewie figure look different than the OT ones for the sake of aesthetics , but in reality, if the average life span of a wookie is 300ish, then I don't think there would be much of physical change in the span of 30 years. That's 10% of their lives, right? To put that into a human's persepective, the average age being 70, how different do we really look from say 25-32? 58-65?

Reaction score
To put that into a human's persepective, the average age being 70, how different do we really look from say 25-32? 58-65?
I suppose it all depends on the mileage.

On on a separate note, this will be a definite purchase (Nien) for me. I love the vintage vibe this figure gives off.

Reaction score
Well sure. Some people can go from a full head of hair at 20 and be bald by 27. I just think that maybe Lucasfilm may have felt it to be too heavy handed giving him blatantly grey fur just because time has passed. Like I said, it makes the viewer relate, but maybe they just thought it wasn't necessary. I'm just guessin.

Reaction score
I'm in my 40's and my hair went from jet black to gray in two years so sometimes changes happen fast. Like the way a Nein Nunb thread changed into a Chewbacca fur thread.

Reaction score
To those who say Nien Nunb looks odd, or hasn't aged, I disagree. Here's a closeup from one of the BTS clips released prior to TFA's premiere, and compare it to his appearance in ROTJ. Nien has definitely aged, as proven by the added crow's feet and other additional wrinkles in his face that weren't present in ROTJ. Mike Quinn, Nien's actor, confirmed they aged Nien.

Regarding the size of Nien's head, I'm not sure it changed much. As previously pointed out, Nien was a puppet in ROTJ, but the original puppeteer, Mike Quinn, was asked to come back and portray Nien in full costume. However, other Sullustans seen in ROTJ used the same mold, and their heads are pretty massive. In the images below, they feel pretty similarly sized. I think part of the reason some of us feel he looks different is because we never really got a sense of scale for him, since we only see him from the chest up in most shots. Seeing him in full-body shots may not have met the expectations some of us had in our mind for Nien's overall appearance.

Reaction score
I believe back in the Empire days, Nien was an early user of Botox so that might also explain the slight difference in looks.

Reaction score
I figured that they probably would have done something like this, minor aging. It was just too far away to see anything, even on a BIG screen. We'd simply have to wait until close up pics surfaced.

Reaction score
Thats neat they aged his funny cheeks. Seeing him call in during the bombing of SK Base was one of the best little parts of the movie for me, and before they take off where he's carrying that whatever on the rebel base, total 'holy **** look who it is' moment.. His helmet looks great, its a shame that they didnt include it in this, even if it was banana visor.