New Trilogo.info article: Current prices, rarity & AFA

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just finished a bit of a lengthy article and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know your thoughts (either here or on the forum thread linked at the bottom of the page).

Current prices, rarity & AFA | Trilogo.info

Hate mail is fine too but hopefully people understand the aim with this! :)

Thanks all!

Joe

Reaction score
Great write up joe, well thought out and intelligent as always.

Especially like the bit on AFA population reports. Their database is undeniably inaccurate, outdated and shouldnt have any influence on price or perceived rarity. I especially like the example of the tie fighter pilot - Im not a trilogo collector, but even I know there is nothing special about this piece.

Thanks for sharing,

Turk

Reaction score
Great piece Joe - and you're spot on about the POP reports - I would also question as to whether AFA goes 'easy' on some Trilogo figures as they seem to grade higher than their ROTJ or ESB equivalents with bubble damage

Reaction score
I like the population reports. As long as you remember that the report is only WHAT HAS BEEN GRADED and not EVERYTHING that exists. If you understand statistics, the report can give you a rough idea of the relative scarcity of each condition level. However, you need to have a large sample size. Low population reports can't tell you how rare something is by itself. I have a graded Action Display Stand Mailer. It's one of 8 (I think) that have been graded. It's huge, heavy and was quite expensive to get graded. We all know that Action Display Stand is super common. So why are there so few graded? Probably because most people don't want to spend that much.

Other comments:
1. While AFA grading is subjective it is consistent. The consistency is what makes selling them so easy. I don't have to worry about the seller's personal grading scale; especially with poor or blurry pictures (or low res cameras back in the day). Even for some borderline cases where a figure is on the cusp of a grade level. Resending in something that was an 85 will comeback as an 85 or at worst an 80. It won't comeback as a 70
2. I gladly pay a slight premium for an already graded item. My time is valuable. It's usually not worth my time to search for an ungraded version, carefully pack it up, ship it to AFA, pay for the pleasure of getting it graded and then risk it not coming back as high a grade as I wanted or getting damaged in transit. Why not pay a little extra for someone else to do that for me AND get something guaranteed to be that grade?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice job Joe!!!! This IS going to be nice. I am still working on adding some high end Trilogo pieces to my collection now too.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just finished a bit of a lengthy article and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know your thoughts (either here or on the forum thread linked at the bottom of the page).

Current prices, rarity & AFA | Trilogo.info

Hate mail is fine too but hopefully people understand the aim with this! :)

Thanks all!

Joe
Oh the hate is coming!!!!lol

stop trying to depress the market,Joe!!!!

Us "full set of tris completed" club members cried out in terror when you remarked Madine isn't rare.....

he frickin is,you know!!!

it took me years to find mine!!.....don't let my vaunted T-shirt skew your data!!!

dingus!!

Darren

Reaction score
I thought it was an insightful read, that helped shed some light on the tri-logos for me... As far as AFA is concerned... where is Hoth_my_fav at????

Reaction score
Very interesting Joe, and I agree with you on many fronts. However, there are many trilogos that I would class as rare at afa 85 grade. Eg- ERG, Amanaman, Death Star droid, yak face, luke bespin, tie pilot, Leia organa, luke blonde and brown hair, etc. Of course the AFA population reports are outdated, but there aren't many case fresh examples around, even ungraded. If these figures are so easily found in mint case- fresh condition with crisp cards and undented bubbles, why do they rarely appear for sale?

Ok there are loads of tri yaks around, but case fresh c9.5 or AFA 85? Very few. Case fresh trilogo's will always command a premium cos most got crushed or dented in some form. There has been a big gulf in price between an AFA 80 tri and an AFA 85 tri. There has even been vast sums paid for ungraded mint and hard to find trilogo's.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very good read Joe.
While I think price guides do not make the prices (only the market does) I believe it would be very helpful for at least assessing the rarity of each trilogo item relatively to the other ones.
-Matth

Reaction score
Joe, instead of a price guide, how about just a rarity guide? Mr. Madine could be a 10, and the rest relative to that.

Reaction score
I like the population reports. As long as you remember that the report is only WHAT HAS BEEN GRADED and not EVERYTHING that exists. If you understand statistics, the report can give you a rough idea of the relative scarcity of each condition level. However, you need to have a large sample size. Low population reports can't tell you how rare something is by itself. I have a graded Action Display Stand Mailer. It's one of 8 (I think) that have been graded. It's huge, heavy and was quite expensive to get graded. We all know that Action Display Stand is super common. So why are there so few graded? Probably because most people don't want to spend that much
You do realise that they are years out of date, and therefore inaccurate and pointless don't you?

But otherwise they're ok :\

Reaction score
Yeah jedisearcher is right. I have some graded figures from 3 years ago - when you do a population report, the grade which my figures were assigned dont even show up. It IS pointless.

Think about it - would AFA have a financial interest in having up to date numbers? Of course not. They would be happy to have less informed collectors running around exclaiming their grade is "one of a kind" and attach some ridiculous perceived premium to it. Others take note of this, send their figs in for grading hoping to cash in, and AFA cashes in. Its not rocket science....use your brain and you can see how its a marketing ploy.

Reaction score
While Tri-logos aren't "rare" - they're certainly more rare than US Kenner examples of the same figures (excepting Anakin & Yakface).

Reaction score
I think finding clean Trilogos are way harder then their Kenner counterparts. I can find just about any Kenner MOC for a fair price. Trilogo on the other hand...no way. Let me ask the UK guys....are attic and basement finds common? I know US finds are.

Reaction score
I think finding clean Trilogos are way harder then their Kenner counterparts. I can find just about any Kenner MOC for a fair price. Trilogo on the other hand...no way. Let me ask the UK guys....are attic and basement finds common? I know US finds are.
I think that this is a very good point. Occasionally they turn up - there have been a couple of instances in the last 3-4 years where large collections held onto by a relative have suddenly been unearthed, but they are few and far between. I think that this is mainly down to the cost & lack of 'space' in the UK - we don't have the huge houses, storage units or out buildings that there are in the US

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the support of those that agree but also happy to see comments from those that don't. I'd like to reply to some posts I've read:

Oh the hate is coming!!!!lol

stop trying to depress the market,Joe!!!!

Us "full set of tris completed" club members cried out in terror when you remarked Madine isn't rare.....

he frickin is,you know!!!

it took me years to find mine!!.....don't let my vaunted T-shirt skew your data!!!

dingus!!

Darren
Darren, I loved your T-shirt full of fake beards ;) I'd still argue that Madine is hard to obtain due to it being cost prohibitive rather than because you simply can't find one to buy though.

Actually, your post tickled me when I read it this morning and while I'm pretty sure you were laughing/smiling as you typed it, if there is any truth to you "crying out in terror" (and anyone else who own a Trilogo set) then I wanted to address that concern.

First things first, I really don't want anyone to lose money, I actually want to save people money and stop them overspending. The article is aimed at newer collectors more than anyone else because I know I'll never stop a dealer from trying to make a profit but perhaps I can make their customers think twice before they buy.

As far as depressing the market and hurting the values for those "sitting pretty" - well I certainly don't want people who bought the majority of their collection years ago (much like yourself) to find that their investment is decreasing in value but at the same I don't think anyone who claims they care about Vintage should get too greedy either. I actually think that price increases are perfectly acceptable as long as they are reasonable.

Time and time again I read posts on the forum like "I couldn't even afford my own collection if I was to start now" or "I bought that for £200 5 years ago and now people are paying £2k for one - crazy!". Well, if that's the truth then what chance do the newer collectors have?

People are always trumpeting the importance of "new blood" yet fail to realise that if the prices are insane now and they keep increasing we may not see a lot of new people get into vintage because they simply can't afford to.

In my opinion we have a responsibility (as oldies) to at least try and help those just joining the ranks by giving them the tools they need to go out there and not pay those insane prices. The only thing I had to pass on to those collectors was experience but perhaps it'll help.

I fully understand that it's nice to be sitting on a set of Trilogos when prices are going through the roof, but at the same time that also means you can no longer be impartial or remove yourself from the situation fully to see the price increase in the same light that other collectors can. You are suddenly caught in a dilemma because those figures you own have now become an investment that you obviously want to protect (even if you aren't actively promoting high prices).

I've removed myself from all of that conflict because in the last couple of years I've sold every single one of my Trilogos. I can see the problem, we all can..but sadly it seemed that aside from a few comments here and there nobody actually wanted to address it.

Hopefully I don't lose any friends over the article but if it happens it happens I guess. I think if those that have completed their Trilogo collections could put themselves in the shoes of a new guy coming into the Vintage world for just a moment (or even remember how different things were when they were starting out) then they would realise the aim of this.

Very interesting Joe, and I agree with you on many fronts. However, there are many trilogos that I would class as rare at afa 85 grade. Eg- ERG, Amanaman, Death Star droid, yak face, luke bespin, tie pilot, Leia organa, luke blonde and brown hair, etc. Of course the AFA population reports are outdated, but there aren't many case fresh examples around, even ungraded. If these figures are so easily found in mint case- fresh condition with crisp cards and undented bubbles, why do they rarely appear for sale?

Ok there are loads of tri yaks around, but case fresh c9.5 or AFA 85? Very few. Case fresh trilogo's will always command a premium cos most got crushed or dented in some form. There has been a big gulf in price between an AFA 80 tri and an AFA 85 tri. There has even been vast sums paid for ungraded mint and hard to find trilogo's.

Just my 2 cents.
Hi Robbie,

The issue for me at the moment is that the premium people are paying for high grade items is not even been remotely in line with what we are used to seeing.

You've also said that c9.5, AFA 85 and case fresh will always command a premium but the Yak Face that sold for $1,499 was "just" an AFA 70 - Star Wars RARE Tri Logo Yak Face AFA Graded Palitoy Tri Logo Vintage 1985 | eBay

Putting a premium on quality is perfectly acceptable but it should not be extortionate or a number plucked out of thin air just to see if someone will bite, that's the problem these days - nothing is being priced within the realms of normality.

While Tri-logos aren't "rare" - they're certainly more rare than US Kenner examples of the same figures (excepting Anakin & Yakface).
While that's true Bill there are also less Trilogo collectors out there than there are US Kenner collectors. So even though there might be a smaller pool of Trilogos when compared to their US equivalents, there are also fewer collectors interested in collecting them.

All said and done, I'm pretty confident that there are more than enough to go round and will be for many years to come.

Let me ask the UK guys....are attic and basement finds common? I know US finds are.
While on the surface UK/European finds seem virtually non existent (maybe that's because we need a UK equivalent of the "Lemcool brothers"! :D) there have actually been a few pretty significant "finds" in the last couple of years.

These might not be on the same kind of scale as the ones we see happen state side but they were still quite substantial and more importantly brought even more Trilogo figures to the market:

In April 2011 there was a find of 47 Trilogos from a guy selling the duplicates his father bought for him in the 80's:

In August 2012 there was a find of 45 Trilogos from a guy from Scotland who had inherited a collection from his Grandfather, the entire collection can be seen here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/103393335070142884687/albums/5778879402580688513?banner=pwa

In September 2012 there was a find of 28 Trilogos from a woman who had discovered her husbands collection in the loft:

In May 2014 there was another find of 42 Trilogos from a collector selling them on a Facebook group:

From what I can remember, the guy that posted the picture said they all came from a single source who actually had many more Trilogos tucked away.

I didn't note down any other specifics (and I even forgot the guys name! Sorry if you are reading!) but it was great to see them all.

And this last one was not a UK find but a nice group of Trilogos nonetheless, pictured are 22 Meccano Trilogos from a French auction this year. (Not sure how many Trilogos were sold exactly, they may have been more)

Not to mention the amount of Trilogos that Vectis seem to get their hands every year, many of which are factory overstock and direct from ex employees/warehouses.

Reaction score
Joe,
there were some more French trilogos auctioned in Paris last May including a Logray (large bubble, pretty HTF), an ERG (sold for around €800) and a snowtrooper.
-Matth

Reaction score
Matthieu said:
I believe it would be very helpful for at least assessing the rarity of each trilogo item relatively to the other ones.
A rarity index / guide? what a terrific idea - I think it has been done in a book named "From MECCANO to TRILOGO" back in 2006. I think most of the rarity index is still valid, it was based on years of collecting and observation :grin:

That being said, Joe, that's a very worth-reading article as always :weeabooface: but I think that the world isn't just black or white, let me get my point.

The reasoning in your article about Trilogos not being rare, and just being patient is good sense, and can be applied to 99% of the production stuff, even Kenner, or other toy licensees like PBP, Harbert, Lili Ledy etc... I mean finding a dead-mint 21-back Fett or VCJ is easy, I can get 10 in a week, just needs the money...

The assumption which I do not fully agree is when you say Trilogos are easy to find; well.... yes, and now.

Yes, most Trilogos can be found on regular ebay auctions, and I'm pretty sure that, regardless of the cost involve, anyone can achieve a set in less than a year... A few cards are still tougher like Royal Guard, Madine, Jawa, Fett... because they are rarer or sought characters which doesn't change hands easily... however, they show up for sale from time to time, even on ebay.

But I also disagree, because if you want to assemble a Trilogo set of nice cards (let's say an AFA80-85 equivalent) and if you're into specific stuff such as French small bubbles and other European variants (for their visual style appeal)... then it becomes much much much more complicated...

There are many Trilogos which are often found beaten, there are some characters which are known in less than a handfull numbers (eg. French bubble style Death Star Droid), and even some common and inexpensive figures are a real pain to find with small bubbles (eg. Logray, Ackbar and many others).

Sorry if I'm being that specific :weeabooface: but these parameters have a huge effect on Trilogos collecting.

stephane

Reaction score
You do realise that they are years out of date, and therefore inaccurate and pointless don't you?

But otherwise they're ok :\
Wow really that out of date? I don't often check the reports over time to see how often they change. I just assumed it was a few months behind.

Eitherway, my point still stands because if you have a large enough sample size to gage relative rarity of condition for the graded vs the estimated number of ungraded. The stuff that has been graded in the years since the report would have been counted in the "ungraded" category.

Why is the AFA site so useless? I should offer my services as a programmer to fix it. I haven't done any website work in many many years but i gotta be better than what they have now

Reaction score
A rarity index / guide? what a terrific idea - I think it has been done in a book named "From MECCANO to TRILOGO" back in 2006. I think most of the rarity index is still valid, it was based on years of collecting and observation :grin:
Stéphane,
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that a rarity guide would be a brand new idea and I'm not sure Joe said that either.
We all know your book is a unique and considerable resource when it comes to French and European SW merchandising.
I understand that Joe's idea is to have both a price and rarity guide, as well as a resource which would be publicly available on the trilogo.info website and that is a brand new idea as I don't have knowledge of such a guide being available on the internet.
-Matth

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply Stephane and I'm glad you agree with some points in the article.

The assumption which I do not fully agree is when you say Trilogos are easy to find; well.... yes, and now.

Yes, most Trilogos can be found on regular ebay auctions, and I'm pretty sure that, regardless of the cost involve, anyone can achieve a set in less than a year... A few cards are still tougher like Royal Guard, Madine, Jawa, Fett... because they are rarer or sought characters which doesn't change hands easily... however, they show up for sale from time to time, even on ebay.

But I also disagree, because if you want to assemble a Trilogo set of nice cards (let's say an AFA80-85 equivalent) and if you're into specific stuff such as French small bubbles and other European variants (for their visual style appeal)... then it becomes much much much more complicated...

There are many Trilogos which are often found beaten, there are some characters which are known in less than a handfull numbers (eg. French bubble style Death Star Droid), and even some common and inexpensive figures are a real pain to find with small bubbles (eg. Logray, Ackbar and many others).

Sorry if I'm being that specific :weeabooface: but these parameters have a huge effect on Trilogos collecting.

stephane
I agree that some company/country specific variations are truly rare and I don't want that to give the impression that they aren't. In fact I wrote at the beginning of the article:

If you exclude some genuinely hard to find variations, miscards or even the “big three” (The more costly Fett, Jawa & Madine) you soon realise that most Trilogo figures are actually pretty easy to obtain..
And that's actually very true. Most figures have a common variant which is easy to obtain, whether it's Palitoy, Parker, Meccano etc.

Also, the overall % of Trilogo collectors that actually have an interest in variants is still quite small despite the fact that people are now more aware of them. Generally speaking, most people are just happy to obtain a figure regardless of the variant and in fact a lot of people don't even set out to pick up the variations they end up with.

The aim for the majority is simply to find a Trilogo and that's it. They don't care if it comes with a small bubble or a large bubble. If it was produced by Palitoy, Meccano, PBP or Parker. Whether it has an import sticker or offer..

Understanding Trilogo variants enough to appreciate their rarity requires a more involved understanding of the Trilogo world in general and sadly I've found that many simply don't care enough to want take it that far.

The articles message that Trilogos aren't rare simply refers to the fact that all characters (except for a few) are readily available if you exercise patience and even the ones that are hard to find will eventually come up for sale.

edit: Forgot to quote and reply to Matthieu:

Stéphane,
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that a rarity guide would be a brand new idea and I'm not sure Joe said that either.
We all know your book is a unique and considerable resource when it comes to French and European SW merchandising.
I understand that Joe's idea is to have both a price and rarity guide, as well as a resource which would be publicly available on the trilogo.info website and that is a brand new idea as I don't have knowledge of such a guide being available on the internet.
-Matth
Matthieu is correct. I don't want to step on any toes by putting yet another rarity guide out there but at the same time perhaps this is an opportunity to incorporate rarity with price in order to help the situation.

While I don't particularly want to have to update a price guide on a regular basis I think that including prices would at least give collectors an idea of what to expect and what to pay, ultimately it will always be down to the individual as to the amount they want to pay for their toys and price guides are usually far from perfect but...

Anyway, that's something the community can decide on and if they don't want either so be it, or if they are happy with the existing information on rarity that's also perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow really that out of date? I don't often check the reports over time to see how often they change. I just assumed it was a few months behind.

Eitherway, my point still stands because if you have a large enough sample size to gage relative rarity of condition for the graded vs the estimated number of ungraded. The stuff that has been graded in the years since the report would have been counted in the "ungraded" category.

Why is the AFA site so useless? I should offer my services as a programmer to fix it. I haven't done any website work in many many years but i gotta be better than what they have now
Someone said earlier that perhaps they dont update the site to make things seem rarer than they really are. I've no idea why they wouldn't do it, it's not like they're short of cash. There should still be a decent sample size, but there will be lots of races/one-offs missing.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the support of those that agree but also happy to see comments from those that don't. I'd like to reply to some posts I've read:

Darren, I loved your T-shirt full of fake beards ;) I'd still argue that Madine is hard to obtain due to it being cost prohibitive rather than because you simply can't find one to buy though.

Actually, your post tickled me when I read it this morning and while I'm pretty sure you were laughing/smiling as you typed it, if there is any truth to you "crying out in terror" (and anyone else who own a Trilogo set) then I wanted to address that concern.

First things first, I really don't want anyone to lose money, I actually want to save people money and stop them overspending. The article is aimed at newer collectors more than anyone else because I know I'll never stop a dealer from trying to make a profit but perhaps I can make their customers think twice before they buy.

As far as depressing the market and hurting the values for those "sitting pretty" - well I certainly don't want people who bought the majority of their collection years ago (much like yourself) to find that their investment is decreasing in value but at the same I don't think anyone who claims they care about Vintage should get too greedy either. I actually think that price increases are perfectly acceptable as long as they are reasonable.

Time and time again I read posts on the forum like "I couldn't even afford my own collection if I was to start now" or "I bought that for £200 5 years ago and now people are paying £2k for one - crazy!". Well, if that's the truth then what chance do the newer collectors have?

People are always trumpeting the importance of "new blood" yet fail to realise that if the prices are insane now and they keep increasing we may not see a lot of new people get into vintage because they simply can't afford to.

In my opinion we have a responsibility (as oldies) to at least try and help those just joining the ranks by giving them the tools they need to go out there and not pay those insane prices. The only thing I had to pass on to those collectors was experience but perhaps it'll help.

I fully understand that it's nice to be sitting on a set of Trilogos when prices are going through the roof, but at the same time that also means you can no longer be impartial or remove yourself from the situation fully to see the price increase in the same light that other collectors can. You are suddenly caught in a dilemma because those figures you own have now become an investment that you obviously want to protect.

Not to mention the amount of Trilogos that Vectis seem to get their hands every year, many of which are factory overstock and direct from ex employees/warehouses.

I did intend a little humour,Joe......and my beard was real!!!!lol(unlike Dermots)

and I do agree to some extent about comparative rarity verses price. And the numbers blackholed aren't truly representative of AFA population reports as many aren't even graded.

And the high prices achieved can definitely be prohibitive to new blood. However when you factor in the age/earning demographic it muddles matters slightly.

Let me explain. Without going into macro/microeconomics the reality is most first generation collectors are in their late thirties/early forties right now.

So most have attained degrees,been in employment and been promoted several times...or for the self employed built up a strong business. Point being if you are of a certain age,a certain percentage of those who were kids of the OT era,that didn't necessarily collect before 2010,the high prices achieved recently are the new normal. And maybe that well-heeled percentage of new collectors haven't done the research many of us long-haulers have and are happy to pay the inflated prices to catch a whiff of the OT nostalgia we all love and know so intimately.

If you are only starting out and have limited funds at your disposal,granted...it would be a hard slog. No doubt.

But I imagine the people driving this bubble aren't the vaunted speculators. Just kids from the 70s late to the dance due to life and career choices getting in the way.

And if their kids are growing(or grown-up)then the whimsical memories of their own carefree childhoods(not to mention the huge costs of raising a family that are no longer a primary concern)may come to the forefront and start the frenzy!!!!

Personally,I don't care about prices in the short term.....the market will dictate these and they could even escalate closer to the release of the ST.

I shudder to think what will happen if they are actually brilliant movies!!!

Darren

Reaction score
very awesome website. I really enjoyed reading about the various aspects of the "tri-logo". Thank you for all your time and effort you put into this. Very cool

Reaction score
Joe,

thanks for that article. I agree to a lot of your points.
I'm one of those "first generation collectors" speaking with Darren. As you know I started collecting Trilogos quite late after having finished my Kenner stuff.

I "grew" up collecting wise without AFA or UKG or any other professional grading company.
I had to do my own researches, estimates, judgements concerning condition and value.
That helps a lot in this hobby IMHO.
The problem after the graders hit the market is, that on the one hand there are collectors/dealers that want to make serious money by sending stuff to AFA and then sell it for a fortune. I realized this phenomenon even more after having joined facebook!
On the other hand there are the young generation collectors (meaning new to the hobby) that don't have much knowledge about the topic. They may rely on population reports or hyped auctions.
To my opinion a lot of those collectors would do good, if they were reading articles like yours or purchasing books like Stephanes and appreciate collections and T-Shirts showing certain boring Trilogo characters:D (just kidding Darren, I LOVE your and Andy's shirt!)

Seriously: I've never been a huge grading fan, because I want to judge myself what fits me best. If there's a chance to buy a graded item, I'm fine, but only with a slight premium compared to an ungraded figure.

There are rare Trilogo figures out there, that's a fact. But you should not grab any of those without a profund research about prices and availability. I had the chance to buy a Trilogo Madine years ago but passed due to the price. A couple of months later the same figure was offered to me a second time with a more reasonable offer and I bought it.
In the meantime I spotted three different Madines that were for sale. You can't expect finding those offers just by tracking ebay, but by networking with other collectors. It's more fun, but is also more time consuming.

Last not least: We are collecting toys and shouldn't expect increasing of value. If you want that, invest in Gold or real estates.

Just my two cents:)

Reaction score
Great read and info Joe! On the subject of finds, when I was collecting them around Xmas 2006 there was a huge stash listed on eBay, the guy even had several Boba Fetts! It's the only time I can think of when literally dozens of rare tri's were listed at the same time from 99p starts so we got to see an accurate market value. From memory the Fetts sold for considerably less than people thought they would, around the £6-700 mark.

Reaction score
I take this opportunity to link you guys to my tri-logo limelight I just put together (Stéphane would say I'm showing off...): http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1114945/

Tri-logo Han Carb and Luke Stormie were among the very first MOCs I got as a "grown up" collector in 1989/1990. I was 17 years old. I remember Luke Stormie was around 150 French Francs which makes approx EUR 23 (though FF 150 was much more than EUR 23 at that time). And I found it pretty pricey!!

-Matth

Last edited:
Reaction score
You mean a POP 1 AFA 85 Trilogo Tie Fighter Pilot isn't worth $1000? Whew (wiping brow). So close to buying that one! :rolleyes:

On a serious note, it's a great article and very informative. Really appreciate the time you took to put it together.

Reaction score
Was this the seller who'd obviously been to his local Tesco in 1984/85 and bought everything he could find in their clearance bins? Seem to re-call they all had Tesco price stickers. I was tempted buy a few but they almost all had some serious wear. Cool to see though!

Great read and info Joe! On the subject of finds, when I was collecting them around Xmas 2006 there was a huge stash listed on eBay, the guy even had several Boba Fetts! It's the only time I can think of when literally dozens of rare tri's were listed at the same time from 99p starts so we got to see an accurate market value. From memory the Fetts sold for considerably less than people thought they would, around the £6-700 mark.

Reaction score
I just saw something on eBay that I found quite interesting and had to share.

So, the first image shows two listings for the same Trilogo figure, an 8D8 (fitting!). One was an AFA 85 and the other an AFA 80. Check out the BIN prices:

$315 for an AFA 85!!

Now for the interesting part!

Those same two figures where relisted in the auction format and actually sold for a LOT less than those original BIN prices..

Now, I realise this not a 100% accurate reflection of the figures real worth because even though I don't believe a grade and a case should mean a toy is worth more I DO appreciate that they both sold for slightly less than they perhaps should of (I'd say these were more in line with ungraded prices) but at the same time it does prove that dealers usually list high grade AFA figures for huge amounts in the hope that someone will buy them, no matter if the figure is common or hard to find (in this case it was a common figure).

I know for some this seems pretty simple to understand, a lot of RS users have similar thoughts about high prices + AFA but I get the feeling that there are collectors (who are perhaps new to collecting) that put their trust in "AFA" prices time and time again when they could in fact save themselves a lot of money just by shopping around or by buying ungraded - there is an alternative guys!

Reaction score
"it does prove that dealers usually list high grade AFA figures for huge amounts in the hope that someone will buy them, no matter if the figure is common or hard to find (in this case it was a common figure)."

How does a crap 8D8 Tri provethat dealers tend to overlist figures? And who said this needed proving?

Reaction score
"it does prove that dealers usually list high grade AFA figures for huge amounts in the hope that someone will buy them, no matter if the figure is common or hard to find (in this case it was a common figure)."

How does a crap 8D8 Tri provethat dealers tend to overlist figures? And who said this needed proving?
Anyone that's ever bought an overpriced AFA figure from you needs it proven to them because sadly, you prey on the uneducated.

Reaction score
Shouldn't you list better and more examples?
If the traffic here is down as people seem to be saying it is, I am not sure that it's because people are drawn increasingly to Facebook. I think it's because people are tired of seeing you arguing with everyone on every thread. I sure am.

Reaction score
If the traffic here is down as people seem to be saying it is, I am not sure that it's because people are drawn increasingly to Facebook. I think it's because people are tired of seeing you arguing with everyone on every thread. I sure am.
Then you probably should take a gander in the mirror brother...If you'd leave me be, you wouldn't hear boo from me, but you guys can't help it, so then we end up having the same tired conversations.

Last edited: