New Toltoys NZ moc variation discovered

Aussie_Nick

High Admiral
Reaction score
I found this moc on eBay last week and noticed it had an odd bubble design,at first i thought it was a custom.I then noticed the seller was from New Zealand and recognized his user name.He had sold a ESB 12" Toltoys Vader early last year.I also remembered looking at those star wars 21 backs with upside down bubbles/small cards in person that surface a few years back here in Australia.It made sense that this moc and a couple of others from the same seller might be the real deal.I had a good look at the pics and thought id take a chance.

Boba turned up on Monday and to my surprise he was the real deal.This with the other 2 mocs are the first documented esb 32 backs to surface so far with these odd bubbles,larger card backs,different card stock,of set punch which is also smaller then the regular kenner one.The bubble has also been applied with a different press to the standard kenner one used in hong kong,china,Taiwan,etc.Your notice on the out side of the bubble there is a large impression right around it.This must have been caused by the machinery they used in house at the "toltoys" warehouse in NZ to apply the bubble.

Looking forward to some positive feed back.If anyone else has turned up an esb 32 back similar to this would love to hear from you.enjoy the pics.

This pic clearly shows the impression around the bubble which i believe was done when the bubble was applied & sealed to the card.

Last edited:

jedimoo

Rear Admiral
Reaction score
Nick, what an amazing find! Congratulations on the score mate and thanks for sharing it with us!! Finding such a rare specimen MOC...but also Boba Fett??? What are the chances? Well done again! :D

crealkilla

High Admiral
Reaction score
Nice score Nick. Was sceptical at first seeing it on the auction with the odd bubble shape and placement.
But glad it was a the real deal.

Reaction score
An FX7: the wider 'seal impression' is also present as well as print transfer onto the bubble ( hopefully prooving it's original )

Aussie_Nick

High Admiral
Reaction score
Congrats James the fx-7 looks great.It always helps validate a piece when you have more then one to look at.Speaking of others I'm hoping for one more fellow collector to chime in with his new variation.

M4K3R1

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Nice work, good to know your gamble paid off...... big time!!.
Congratutions on these new finds, always good to see new Toltoys finds.

Last edited:

Joshua_A

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Look like 3* fakes too me :awesome:
Seriously, it's nice to see some new stuff pop up. I think you did your homework pretty good here gentlemen.

*3 in anticipation of the 3rd Noah turning up.:p

BlueDog

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Sorry just saw this thread :oops:

Here tis, same characteristics as Nick's and Jame's former owner stuck the bubble back down as it had fallen off ( upside down mind you ).

Cheers Ryan

BillCable

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I purchased 3 or 4 similar New Zealand MOCs probably 14 years ago from a guy I met through eBay. They were all like that... odd bubbles, odd punches, and that impression around the bubble where it was bubble was sealed. I sold most of them (for criminally cheap since nobody knew what they were and they didn't say Toltoys on them anywhere), but I kept the Leia Bespin because it's just cherry. I forget which other ones I got, but one that was notable was a Hammerhead that was really odd... had the bubble mounted so the stem was on top. It was pretty trashed, though.

And HOLY CRAP I still had the photos on my hard drive! Check it out:

Joe_O

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Nick, Ryan, AJ -great scores and it is very cool they all ended up with Aussies ;)

Bill - holy moly :) if only you could go back in time and hold on to those!

Anyone making count of which figures came out of NZ?

BillCable

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I can confirm R2-D2 and C-3PO on Toltoys ESB48 backs. And they're ESB41 non-removable, non-sensorscope fronts with ESB48 backs. The R2 is in Kellerman's book.

Reaction score
I saw this auction and thought the same as you (odd bubble/custom). Also remember the left leg colour being different from the right:

Grant

Moff
Reaction score
Great find Nick. You seem to be on a roll this past few years with turning up some beautiful items. Congrats again.

G.:)

Aussie_Nick

High Admiral
Reaction score
Thanks guys.Wow Bill some great looking mocs.Im glad you managed to hold on to the leia.I guess with Bill's find we have all the evidence we need.

Mill

Lieutenant
Reaction score
I had seen this item on ebay as well and noticed the odd bubble shape . I was going to post it in the Vintage Watch Out Section as I too thought it was a custom . Man am I glad I didn't . I was also interested in pulling the trigger as well as at first I thought it was a strange variation . I really wish knowing what I know now I had pulled the trigger and bid . Great Score .

Reaction score
I have seen a few of these before, and I really did think these were fakes. The bubble was just too "out there" for me to rationalize.
I did notice that on some of BC's pics, it looks like the bubble sides have a slight step in them, can you confirm that ?

Glorious finds everyone !!! It really does make me happy to see people putting in this kind of work, and producing amazing finds like this !!

Bill

Aussie_Nick

High Admiral
Reaction score
Thanks Bill,the only mocs that I'm aware of that have the step are the star wars 21 backs.I doubt they used those bubbles on the esb mocs since these are the only document pieces so far.Lets hope some more turn up in the near future.

SydSwans

High Admiral
Reaction score
Nice pick up Nick well done - some great info guys.

I have a cracked blister Luke X-Wing Star Wars card.

Reaction score
So is that a different bubble? It doesn't seem to have the upside down 'footer' bit on top?

SydSwans

High Admiral
Reaction score
Well it's not the footer style bubble no. It has the same characteristics as the ESB bubbles. It matches a Snaggletooth cardback that I sent to a collector who will probably chime in on the topic. Back of the card is extremely washed out printing was sold to me from a collector/childhood collection the guy moved from NZ over to Australia and sold me other made in NZ Toltoys products.

My firm belief is that it is a NZ item due to the bubble. Perhaps not all SW card items had the footer style bubble as pictured above and I've seen a few examples that tend to support that.

Last edited:

SydSwans

High Admiral
Reaction score
No it's not perhaps I'm off with my assumption. Snaggletooth was smaller. Seems a bit bigger than a Toltoys card but I don't have a 21 back card that I can get to to compare. Are there known versions of sqaured off bubbles ?

Got me doubting myself now

It is a smaller 21 back?

Lafos

Grand Moff
Reaction score
Congrats Nick !

Great find and great to hear, that these formerly suspicious MOCs have been authenticated.

Ledy_King

Midshipman
Reaction score
Great find, now I have to look for a new figure even do not exist for me before this. Thanks

starwarsrarities

Midshipman
Reaction score
Hi James,
I guess all I have to add to your list is that there was a jawa on the smaller NZ kenner card. It did not have the 2 level pyramid bubble, (probably as it is such a small figure), I have attached a picture, Yes there was an IG-88 it was on the standard kenner card though, not the smaller size card. I have attached a few other pics for reference, Cheers David.

HWR

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
This is a really great thread with a lot of new information on these NZ Toltoys figures. So thanks for sharing pictures and info and congrats on the great find.

BillCable

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
After reading this I'm thinking maybe I should update my valuation of the Leia Bespin on my insurance policy. I only ever valued it the same as a C8 Kenner figure. I mean, who knew? Would anyone venture to estimate what it's actually worth?

BlueDog

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Hey Bill, it's a hard one isn't it. I guess it's going to be difficult to value these as until now they've remained a bit of a mystery. I guess until someone puts one up for sale at auction with the community knowing they are legit we won't know what they'll fetch.

Your example appears to be the nicest condition wise and seeing how the bubbles and seals on these cards are so fickle it could play a major part in their values.

Pm sent.

BlueDog

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Thought I'd update with another NZ TT find,

This one also came from a New Zealand seller and matches the Yoda I purchased last year. Same sized card and same indentations caused by the bubble being pressed to the card. Also has the washed out graphics on the back. Unfortunately no bubble this time but the card is in very nice condition. The price sticker is from Woolworths Supermarkets.

Cheers Ryan

Aussie_Nick

High Admiral
Reaction score
Congrats Ryan, that's a great looking NZ card back.Did you manage to buy any of the others?

BlueDog

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Cheers Nick, no I only managed the one but I do know of another member on here who got one as well so I'm sure he'll post it up when he gets it.