New to Austin - out in Lakeline area

Reaction score
Hi all, my wife and I just moved to Austin a few weeks ago. I am working in the downtown area (in the UT System Administration offices at 6th and Colorado), but I am living in the Lakeline area. We are looking to buy a house in the Cedar Park area.

I collect both comics and action figures. My figure collecting is mostly Marvel legends, DC Direct, and Star Wars. For Star Wars I have a lot of stuff from the original trilogy, and mostly just clone troopers from the new movies. I also have a pretty large 12" figure collection - 80+ figures. Not quite all of them, but I am working on it.

I am hoping to find some other collectors locally to work with. I am currently staying near the Wal-Mart at 620, so I hit that in the AM before work. The Lakeline Target is right up the road, but I only get in there about once a week. The only figure I am looking for right now is Commander Baccerra, and maybe some of the clone three packs (if I can ever find some).

Looking forward to hearing from some other locals!

Reaction score
My north Austin brother! I also live very near you (in fact, until just a few weeks ago, I lived across the street from that very Wal-Mart). I also work downtown, so I feel your pain on the commute.

If you're looking for a comic store, I can't give a higher recommendation to Dragon's Lair. Their main store is right on 2222 and Burnet (conveniently on the way home from downtown). The staff and management are both really friendly.

If you're looking for a collector's group, contact kimbote about the Austin Fan Force. They're pretty active. (I'm sure he'll post in here with a link for you.)

Reaction score
Awesome! I haven't been by Dragon's Lair yet, I will have to check it out. SO far I have been to Thor's Hammer, Funny Papers, and Austin Books. Maybe I will bump into you at the Wal-Mart one of these days

Reaction score
I'll beat Kimbote to the punch. Welcome to Austin.

Check out the local star wars scene at
www.austinfanforce.org

It houses Austin"s finest collectors, modern and vintage.

There are groups for gamming, costuming, customizing and monthly get togethers.

Reaction score
Lazarus said:
Awesome! I haven't been by Dragon's Lair yet, I will have to check it out. SO far I have been to Thor's Hammer, Funny Papers, and Austin Books. Maybe I will bump into you at the Wal-Mart one of these days
Ick! I've been to all those places, and Dragon's Lair wins by a mile! Here's their web page. The page isn't so great, but it has directions.

Reaction score
No way does it beat Austin Books....for pure comic collecting. Those guys know their stuff, and the owner Brad has always been real nice. Dragon's Lair does have the best selection for gaming and miniatures, etc. I just don't think their selection or back issue stock can be beat. JMHO

Welcome to Austin, Lazarus. I haven't heard of Bacara hitting around here yet, but if i see him it will be posted in the Finds thread. Good luck on the homebuying front.

Reaction score
stormshadow said:
No way does it beat Austin Books....for pure comic collecting. Those guys know their stuff, and the owner Brad has always been real nice. Dragon's Lair does have the best selection for gaming and miniatures, etc. I just don't think their selection or back issue stock can be beat. JMHO
That's true. Dragon's Lair doesn't keep a massive back stock (which I actually think is good, because it allows more floor space for new or different stuff).

Oh, and welcome to Austin! It's a great place to live.

Reaction score
I had a chance to talk to Brad last Saturday and he does seem like a super nice guy. I think Austin books is hard to beat for variety and depth, but they can be a bit pricey. I will have to check out Dragon's Lair. When we lived in San Antonio I used to shop at Excalibur Comics on Fredericksburg. I believe that they have now been bought by Dragon's Lair. I will definitely check out the one here though.

On another note, has anyone seen any 12" Grievous figs? I want to pick one up to go with my Shaak Ti and Barriss, but of course now I can't find him.

Reaction score
Welcome to Austin Lazaraus!!!! It's a great city to grow up in, as I did. Pay no mind to the Albany New York local, I'm just up here for school!!! My home is always going to be in Austin, located in the Great State of Texas!!!!

I'm more of a comic collector, so I hit up Austin Books, it's the shop I grew up on!!! Brad is a way cool guy, and knows his stuff!!! Dragons Lair, has the Comic Book Guy feel to it!!!
I like the coolness factor of Austin Books, don't feel like such a nerd in there!!!
Plus Dragons Lair has way too many gaming supplies!!
It's a comic book shop dammit!!

As far as toy runs are concerned, you're located in a good local. Espcially during the afternoon not so rushed hour, great time to make a left into Target, and then a right into Wal Mart!!!
But be warned, Austin is a big collector city, too many collectors, and would be scalpers, and scalpers live there, so you're going to have to hunt for your stuff sometimes!!!

BTW where did you move from??? Out of state???

Again welcome to Austin!!!

Reaction score
Well, long story short, I was born in New Jersey, grew up in Massachusetts (near Boston), met my wife while I was in school in Boston, then we moved to Texas to be closer to her family (and further from mine
)

We lived in Austin originally (back in '94) but then we moved to San Anotnio for a number of years, and then we were off to College Station for my wife to go to vet school. After she graduated we ended up back in Austin (and are very happy to be here).

So far the toy hunt has not been too bad, but it is definitely more competitive here than back in Bryan/College Station. Of course, the selection is a lot better too

Austin Books is pretty nice and it is pretty good to hit on Wednesdays on my lunch break. I love getting to the shop to check out the new books. You are right about Brad, I have had a couple of good conversations with him already.

Thanks for the warm welcome! How much longer are you in school up there? I have a cousin who lives in Poughkeepsie.

Reaction score
I'm already going into my senior year!! Which after being at ACC for some time, it feels good to get out of school. But I might be continuing, but that's not set in stone!! Plus don't want to jinx it!!

You definately have been around, nice!! But tell me how did you get used to Texas weather??
I mean it's definately a lot cooler up here in the Nothern states than it is down south!!

What did you do in Austin back in 94? What part of San Antone were you living at?? I used to go down all the time, you know to go to the Riveerwalk, the Mall, the Alamodome, etc!! Lots of things in San Antonio, but so damn spread out though!!