New Star Wars Taika Waititi Film

Reaction score
He’s a good fit...and if it’s half as good as his work so far on The Mandalorian has been...we’re in for a treat. Plus his writing partner worked on 1917.

Reaction score
Yeah, his directing and his voice-over acting on The Mandalorian speak well to him fitting into the universe (or perhaps I should say galaxy). I haven't seen his pre-What We Do In The Shadows movies, but his filmography from that one til now hasn't had any stinkers. I'm excited to see what he and Wilson-Cairns come up with.

And if he wants to just do a spin-off movie about the scout troopers played by Sudeikis and Pally...I'd be ok with that.

Reaction score
I'm wondering where it will fall between comedy and serious action adventure. I did enjoy his Thor and I don't normally like much comedy in my sci-fi / fantasy films. Raiders was my standard of balance and for some reason Thor worked well for me. Yet, I'm hesitant about seeing SW being a comedy.

Reaction score
I'm wondering where it will fall between comedy and serious action adventure. I did enjoy his Thor and I don't normally like much comedy in my sci-fi / fantasy films. Raiders was my standard of balance and for some reason Thor worked well for me. Yet, I'm hesitant about seeing SW being a comedy.
Quite a bit of humor in A New Hope...which initially took me off guard after seeing it the first time in May, ‘77. I wouldn’t worry. His direction in The Mandalorian was stellar.

Reaction score
Taika is a star. I will watch anything he is involved in. What We Do in the Shadows (the TV show) is a highly underrated comedy in the vein of shows like The Office. The movie of that TV show really showed how he is one of those once in a generation type people that is just a little bit 'off' but somehow is just hilarious. If you haven't seen the vid below... it's brilliant.

Reaction score
As long as he writes good stories creates interesting characters and KK isn't involved then it should be okay.

Reaction score
Not too sure I like the idea of this. He's a comedy director. Star Wars isn't a comedy. Yeh, I know he's been involved with some of 'The Mandalorian', but that doesn't eliminate his past body of work completely. Star Wars is primarilly a dramatic adventure. It's not an attempt at a bucket of laughs or nudge-nudge meta humour. That's the reason why Lord and Miller got told to get lost and it's one of the reasons why 'The Last Jedi' sucked.

I just cannot see this working out too well at the moment and it's a little disappointing.

Reaction score
I like Taika...a lot even. But I actually admitted a while ago when he was cast as the voice of IG-11 and set to direct an episode of Mando I was POSSIBLY concerned. The reason for this, he's got his shtick. He's usually kind of wacky and comedic and I think that WORKED for Thor, I adored Jojo Rabbit and What We Do In The Shadows too, but I wasn't sure that fits for SW. But he really knocked it out of the park in Mando. So I think he can tone his comedy down for a fill SW feature.

Reaction score
This is where I have problems with Star Wars fans. Star Wars can be anything. Have any of you read the book Death Troopers (or better yet listened to the audio book)? Did any of you watch the Family Guy Star Wars specials? Do any of you watch Robot Chicken? I realize those are straight up absurdist comedies and can take way more liberties with the material than a live action movie can, but Star Wars CAN be comedy. Imagine what Star Wars would be without comedy... it would be John Carter of Mars or 2001. Very different movies with very different receptions critically but neither are really movies that people fan out about regardless of their merit.

Taika is made for something like Star Wars. They desperately need to bring the fun back. The Mandalorian himself was more serious but it was able to balance that with the fun Star Wars stuff people like. Aliens, Robots, flamethrowers.... ya' know.

I realize that Marvel can do a Thor Ragnarok because there have been multiple iterations of Thor and Hulk and Jeff Goldblum, but Star Wars could do something similar, they just need the right characters, the right people involved that understand Star Wars and someone with some imagination. I believe the ST died in a lot of ways due to a total lack of imagination. We got a repeat of A New Hope and a bunch of rehashed tropes in repeated story lines.

Reaction score
No, Star Wars can't be "anything".

These movies are dramatic adventure stories. They have a tone to them. They aren't slapstick comedies, they aren't meta piss takes, they aren't musicals. The Star Wars story, as a whole, is a fairly serious one. It isn't 'The Exorcist' or anything, sure. But, likewise, it isn't Monty Python either.

This is why the likes of Lord and Miller, Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam, and (probably) Taika Waititi (to name but a few) are just wrong choices to direct Star Wars movies. Even Rian Johnson's wink-wink attempts at meta comedy were absolutely awful in 'The Last Jedi', although I think they might have been studio mandated. Waititi might work, if there is someone to oversee his writing an cut down the more egregious attempts at levity. But if he turns out 'What We Do in the Shadows' in a Star Wars vein, it'll fail and fail badly.

Also, everyone needs to stop comparing Star Wars to Marvel. They aren't, never were, and shouldn't ever attempt to be the same thing.

Lastly, "fun" is a really nebulous concept. People can have "fun" in many different ways. It doesn't always mean laughing at silly things happening. I have "fun" watching 'The Exorcist'. But they're are no stupid jokes in it. Nor does it think it's cool to take the piss out of itself either. In the end "fun" is kind of meaningless as a benchmark. It just means you're being entertained by something. And, sure, 'Family Guy' and 'Robot Chicken' Star Wars parodies are "fun", but there's no way in hell I want to see something like that in the legit Star Wars universe.

Reaction score
I'm imagining Taika doing a movie about Wraith Squadron or Joker Squad or something like that. Having him write an ensemble action comedy like that would be epic. Wraith Squadron would be eipc. Give me a stoic but respected leader in Wedge Antilles, right hand man Wes Janson, the actor Garik "Face" Loran, his scar, and his initially hostile but eventual romance with the ex-slave Twi'lek Wraith Dia Passik. I'll take Comedic Dr. Ton Phanan and his cybernetics due to a Bacta allergy, sniper Myn Donos, sole survivor of Talon Squadron, and Jesmin Ackbar, niece of the admiral. Finally, I'll take one Voort "Piggy" saBinring... genetically modified Gamorrean tactical genius... basically Drax and Rocket rolled into one.

I'm going to cast this also.
Wedge - Ewan McGregor naturally- 49 yo (probably with some makeup to make him a little less recognizable) < clearly unlikely and a bit silly I realize but I love the idea of it. ** Maybe a better fit would be Jason Isaacs - 56 yo?
Janson - Josh McDermitt (Eugene, Walking Dead) 41 yo
Face - obviously Bradley Cooper - 45 yo
Dia - Kerry Washington - 43 yo
Dr. Phanan - Taika Waititi, not sure anyone can do exactly what he does comedically - 44 yo
Myn - Lewis Tan, because I like him - 33 yo
Jesmin and Piggy can be anyone in prosthetics

Reaction score
No, Star Wars can't be "anything".

These movies are dramatic adventure stories. They have a tone to them. They aren't slapstick comedies, they aren't meta piss takes, they aren't musicals. The Star Wars story, as a whole, is a fairly serious one. It isn't 'The Exorcist' or anything, sure. But, likewise, it isn't Monty Python either.

This is why the likes of Lord and Miller, Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam, and (probably) Taika Waititi (to name but a few) are just wrong choices to direct Star Wars movies. Even Rian Johnson's wink-wink attempts at meta comedy were absolutely awful in 'The Last Jedi', although I think they might have been studio mandated. Waititi might work, if there is someone to oversee his writing an cut down the more egregious attempts at levity. But if he turns out 'What We Do in the Shadows' in a Star Wars vein, it'll fail and fail badly.

Also, everyone needs to stop comparing Star Wars to Marvel. They aren't, never were, and shouldn't ever attempt to be the same thing.

Lastly, "fun" is a really nebulous concept. People can have "fun" in many different ways. It doesn't always mean laughing at silly things happening. I have "fun" watching 'The Exorcist'. But they're are no stupid jokes in it. Nor does it think it's cool to take the piss out of itself either. In the end "fun" is kind of meaningless as a benchmark. It just means you're being entertained by something. And, sure, 'Family Guy' and 'Robot Chicken' Star Wars parodies are "fun", but there's no way in hell I want to see something like that in the legit Star Wars universe.
Obviously I was not promoting a Family Guy style comedy from Waititi, nor was I envisioning a "What we do in the Shadows" style Star Wars movie.

With the success of Marvel, EVERYONE, especially Star Wars should be looking and comparing themselves to that. Now let me follow that with the fact that I don't believe Star Wars has to copy anyone and I don't think Marvel and Star Wars can or should be the same. My statement was simple. The recent movies lacked imagination.

What you are saying is that Star Wars ONLY works as a space opera/dramatic adventure but I can see Star Wars in a wider sense. There certainly needs to be adventure, but there's no reason that can't come in a variety of 'fun' colors.

Reaction score
Star Wars already tried to go somewhere else with the Holiday Special.
Anyway, there are funny moments in Star Wars, but they just couldn't seem to get that certain fun right with the ST (and R1 to some extent).

Reaction score
While I agree that it can and can't be anything, it's more to do with the Saga films that have to fit what's already been established.

If we're talking about the spin-off movies, then i think a little more leeway can be had. That said I'm not totally sure Taika style of comedy would be right, but we'll never know until we see it. I do think different is a good thing for freshness sake, who wants to see he exact same thing happen in ANH, TFA etc. Obviously Marvel is a bit different that Star Wars, but not by much. I mean we're talking about space wizards here who can cheat death. half- pints who can take on a full battalion of troops in single hand combat, all while being aided by a blind man to boot.

I honestly feel like nothing is off the table anymore.

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. How many movies have they announced that end up canned? Wouldn't be surprised come may 2021 we get an article saying Taika Waititi has been "creative differenced."

Reaction score
yeah. we sort of have to take all these "new SW director"announcements with a grain of salt. how many have been announced and then... *crickets*?
(I mean besides all the ones she's flat-out "fired"(and Rian Johnson's trilogy. LOL)

I thought kevin feige was making a sw film too..? Feige was announced in september and we've heard absolutely nothing about it. the silence is deafening.

my guess, we won't hear another word about taika's film either .... until it's dead in the water. LOL

Reaction score
Two questions:

Do we know when this film is going to take place in the SW timeline (and please use numbers connceted to the Battle of Yavin, I can't calculate the stuff based on the Starkiller Incident)?

Is this a stand-alone or part of a trilogy?

Reaction score
Likely just soundbites to generate buzz, to see which way the wind blows?
Then you have to wonder why dangle a talent out there if you don't truly intend to use?

It's almost as it they're simply dropping leaflets to keep them relevant so people don't forget that Star wars still exists, and that they do plan to do something eventually..

To be fair MCU has been quite lately as well. And we still don't know how Disney will proceed with Deadpool.

Reaction score
Well....
Rian Johnson has a Trilogy ..... ahem.
Feige is doing one at least.
Waititi is clearly going to do one.
I believe the Game of Thrones guys are out now...
We got an Obi Wan show I guess now?? That and the Cassian Andor series... and apparently a female-centric series as-to-yet-heretofore not named?
ALSO an Ahsoka Tano series is rumored... not the female one from above.
A rumored J.D. Dillard movie (or series?) that I just saw when I searched <no clue where this came from?
and there is all the High Republic stuff that could be a movie or series...

There's probably something else but I can say it's hard to be too excited about stuff when you really have no way to even guess what they might do.

With Marvel there are things like Secret Wars, Annihilation, Secret Invasion, Fantastic Four, X-Men, and so many other things you can speculate about. With Star Wars??????????????????? They tossed a lot of content instead so who knows? Obi Wan is the only series you can guess at.

Reaction score
While his movies are comedies some of them also contain "serious drama".

His voice work for IG-11 and his direction of the season finale of The Mandolorian shows he is quite capable of setting aside his very unique humour. He clearly gets what Star Wars should be.

His Star Wars movie won't be a comedy like Thor Ragnorok.