New Star Wars Movie by J.D. Dillard

GNT

Reaction score
Looks like a new Star Wars movie seperate to everything else is in the works:

Lucasfilm Hires Sleight Director J.D. Dillard to Develop a Star Wars Movie

For a while, it’s been looking as though the future of Star Wars rests squarely on television. But now that the Skywalker Saga has wrapped up, Lucasfilm is in need of a new story to fill the franchise’s void on the big screen. And it sounds like they’ve just taken the first steps toward making that happen. Via The Hollywood Reporter, the studio has tapped J.D. Dillard to develop a new Star Wars film. Unfortunately, it’s still not known whether he’ll direct the movie himself.

Dillard is perhaps best known for directing the film Sleight, which opened in 2016. His most recent feature, Sweetheart, starred Kiersey Clemons and was released by Blumhouse last year. Dillard is currently working on his next project, a Korean war epic titled Devotion. That movie is currently in the pre-production stage

THR also notes that it’s still not clear whether Disney and Lucasfilm will release Dillard’s Star Wars film in theaters or on Disney+. However, they have Dillard pegged to work on the movie alongside writer Matt Owens. Previously, Owens has written for a variety of Marvel TV shows, including Agents of Shield, Luke Cage and The Defenders.

To call this latest news blindsiding would be an understatement. Regardless, THR insists that the project is separate from other Star Wars films Lucasfilm has in development. That slate consists of a new trilogy spearheaded by Rian Johnson and another film executive produced by Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige. The studio is also supposedly courting Taika Waititi to direct a Star Wars movie of his own. However, they still haven’t provided any indication as to how those discussions are going.

Thoughts on this news?

Reaction score
I'm sure it's hit or miss, just like it has always been with any movie. Especially Star Wars, where arguably there have been more duds than hits ticket sales aside. For me only two rank in the top 5, EP 4 and 5. I think it's a mistake to compare non trilogy movies to a trilogy, so I don't rank the spin-offs with that criteria.

That said, I would think talent and previous "quality" of work would be taken into consideration. And whether or not the person fits the scope of the story and characters. They are after all here to tell a compelling story about interesting characters, not inserting non trivial BS here and there to sooth pacifist of the month.

Nor should they hire someone and allow them free Rian, er I mean reign, to totally sidestep the intended path to suit their ego? I get wanting to put your own stamp on a movie/franchise, but do it the wrong way and you'll wind up with postage due!

Or perhaps Disney want Yes men just as much as GL did, because it is always about control over your story. Then again that doesn't explain Rian...
As I've said before it wouldn't be so bad if it was a one off movie not connected to 35 years of lore, but when it is you need to follow the path laid out.
I don't think being or not being a Fan would make that big of difference, plenty of "Fan" have been involved with successful Movies.

I don't know this new guy nor seen his work, may have to research. Considering the plethora of good Directors out there, surely it isn't that difficult to find one. Though it may be some don't want to go near this Franchise, I know it would be a tough decision for me knowing the internet hates everything.

Reaction score
^I agree with pretty much everything you say there, Masterfett. And I do think this announcement reeks of Yes-man-control. It doesn't seem like he's got a lot of great work under his belt, plus he apparently is a protegé of Abrams'. Now that doesn't mean he is a replica of Abrams.

As for my own comment above, it was sarcasm towards the fact that with all these directors they've introduced, later-fired or not, they emphasized how big a Star Wars fan they (directors) all are. As if that in itself is a tell tale of a box office hit. Sure it sounds good, but I can't help but think about what someone (I just can't remember who atm) said about the music industry: 80s/90s all those hitmakers and producers they didn't know what kind of golden goose they had so they let them do their thing and it paid off. Whereas now it's all designed and cut to the bone and it has to sound like this and that and music just isn't as interesting as it was some 20-40 years ago. I will look for that article, because it explains it a lot better than what I did from memory.

Obviously it's hard to judge and tell if this young strapping lad will do good or bad, but you'd think Disney/Lucasfilm had learned their lesson by now. Not all wallets spoke.

Reaction score
I wonder if this may be linked to the High Republic period they’re doing this huge media launch about?

Reaction score
I wonder if this may be linked to the High Republic period they’re doing this huge media launch about?
It’s possible. They started something like this with Shadows of the Empire...books, soundtrack, comics, action figure...just no movie or live action representatio.

Reaction score

Reaction score
The way they marketed the video it made me think that it was possibly a live action movie or new series, but as soon as I started watching the video it became clear that it was nonsense. All of it.

Not only are they trying to shoehorn their own version of the Old Republic in hopes of erasing the one we know of. Half the people there just seemed there to be there and had no real passion for it. There was plenty of passion for pushing a certain agenda, but none for the actual lore or in making interesting characters that do interesting things. Though to be fair, it's still new and unknown.

As for my own comment above, it was sarcasm towards the fact that with all these directors they've introduced, later-fired or not, they emphasized how big a Star Wars fan they (directors) all are.
I tend to think this is just pacifism directed towards the audience to make them think they're doing the franchise justice, as well as being seen as relate-able.

Reaction score
I tend to think this is just pacifism directed towards the audience to make them think they're doing the franchise justice, as well as being seen as relate-able.
Well, they certainly can't come to a Star Wars convention, stand before the audience and announce "Hey, you're the nerd squad? People, I just wanna tell you how much I hate that stupid franchise, lightsabers and all, but the bosses made a sacrificial offering to my bank account that turned my spirit... so, boom!, I'm the director of the next trilogy here..."

Okay, I'm cynical here, but I have the same feeling about the book authors in the Disney EU... two out of three books are at best mediocre, and I'm wondering who these writers even are and why they bother writing for Star Wars when they make it so abundantly clear that they only wanted to do their own thing ("Phasma" Fury Road? argh) or are just in it for PC brownie points ("Last Shot") or for the advertising crossover potential (not another Batuu thing PLEASE!!!!).

At the moment I would like a Quentin Tarantino Star Wars, just to see it done.

Reaction score
Not only are they trying to shoehorn their own version of the Old Republic in hopes of erasing the one we know of.
Regarding the bolded, I actually think the exact opposite. This is a way for them to do their own thing in a way that very clearly does not erase the "Legends" concepts of the Old Republic. It's far enough away from it that whatever they come up with can be "ancient history" for the Skywalker Saga, but still allows for fans who want to retain the stuff from the Old Republic games and comics.

I've enjoyed the Star Wars stories written by Soule and Gray, so I'm excited for their contributions to this. And I like that they are exploring a whole new era. Of course, I don't think that including a diverse array of voices is automatically an offensive political agenda, nor something that will stop the stories from having interesting character-driven stories...so mileage is going to vary. I guess we will see.

Reaction score
Yeah, I might have been too harsh. But I still feel slightly burned by some of Disney's choices of what to cherry pick and how they've handled it.

It's just that the look and what they seem to have planned, looks in contrast to the TOR Comics. While the may think there's a blank slate, there really isn't that much of one. Especially If you're going to include the Jedi/Council, and how they plan to treat them as in "Texas Rangers". I'm not looking for Jedi Chuk-No R'ris. 😉 If these stories were still considered non canon I wouldn't even care, as it would matter the the story at large. But...

Even if i choose not to read it, it has an impact on the larger Universe and the stories I do watch. Unlike the old EU.

Reaction score
Of course, I don't think that including a diverse array of voices is automatically an offensive political agenda, nor something that will stop the stories from having interesting character-driven stories...so mileage is going to vary. I guess we will see.
The deep problem of all agenda-injected PC story points is that you can see that they are agenda-injected, and if the overall story is not deliberately a PC theme - which is perfectly fine; books (or just story arcs within a larger context) on slavery and ostracism and minority suppression and personal experience in marginalization are absolutely valid - then they are too often squeezed in artlessly and artificially.

Take the "Han as a racist" scene in Last Shot: The guy that has flown from one end of the galaxy to the other talks Gungan gibberish for unknown reasons, just to be rebuked by the addressed Gungan. Why is that scene even there? To take down Han a notch? That's not Han's character arc for this novel, nor does it fit Han. Where does it lead the reader / the plot / the character? Is it a misguided attempt to be funny? Well, it's not. The whole exchange stinks of the raised index finger: Look, kids, you shouldn't do that, it's baaaad; and now that we gave you that message we return you to the story we so rudely interrupted.

(To be fair, Last Shot is a dud of a book for completely different reasons, and the fact that Older is apparently in the author lineup for High Republic makes me wonder whether I even want to start reading that series.)

Reaction score
Good luck everyone in getting what you want from a new Star Wars movie/ Project. In my case as far as anything new from Disney Star wars “ Elvis has left the building“ and he ain’t ever coming back.

Reaction score
Good luck everyone in getting what you want from a new Star Wars movie/ Project. In my case as far as anything new from Disney Star wars “ Elvis has left the building“ and he ain’t ever coming back.
I'm kind of on the same wagon. With what they've told us so far on where their focus will lie in the new books and how those writers (and their followers) behave on Twitter.. it's not looking good. Pandering to people that will not support their agenda financially instead of the fanbase that made it possible for them to do it. Yeah that's good business.

Reaction score
The "Make it your own" stuff with Star Wars is where they went off track. I don't care if you like the EU or not. This is not a discussion about the EU. However, there is such a thing as adapting. The MCU didn't follow exactly what the comics laid out, but they adapted their stories to a conclusion using source material that gave them all they really needed. Tony Stark felt like the Tony Stark comic fans knew. Captain America was perfectly portrayed. They could take some liberties with some other characters... especially ones that most didn't know anyway. Chris Pratt as Star-Lord was absolutely inspired casting and they sort of lucked into Chris Hemsworth having the ability to be likable enough that we'd accept any version of Thor (and we got EVERY version of Thor in one guy). Ant-Man as Paul Rudd? No way... well... yeah he's likable enough too.

Star Wars could do this. They COULD. But they won't because they are going to continue to be arrogant enough to think they can just throw aliens and spaceships on the screen and make them close enough to what we recognize and call it a day. The director makes little difference if the heart isn't there.

Reaction score
I look at it like this. Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow. That is the way to start the franchise. If you read a comic in the last 50 years you recognize at least one of these characters and probably more like 3 or 4 of them. We've had different versions over the years and interestingly enough we've gotten Ironheart, Miss America, She-Hulk, Jane Foster Thor, and Kate Bishop Hawkeye at different points later in the timeline, but any one of those in that first lineup would not fit. NOW, I'm looking forward to seeing any of those characters show up on the MCU. They've established a trust that they understand the material and the characters and we can move on.

Star Wars did not do that. In my opinion they did not understand Han, Leia, or Luke let alone the force or the purpose of R2 and 3PO. Rey would have been perfectly fine in my opinion if she could have built off of something, but her character was a rehash and didn't really have her own thing. I realize her background was part of the plot going forward and we weren't supposed to know who she is, but it got so muddled up in transition that it wasn't an 'AHA' moment when we learn her story... it was more of a 'really?'.

Reaction score
I honestly think if they took the risk and did something new set 100 post ST or prior to PT, and base on no one we know and no "connected" main characters. That they could tell a compelling story if they truly wanted to. Just seems they're too interested in non traditional ways to portray it, and appealing to a very different crowd.

Star Wars could do this. They COULD. But they won't because they are going to continue to be arrogant enough to think they can just throw aliens and spaceships on the screen and make them close enough to what we recognize and call it a day. The director makes little difference if the heart isn't there.
This comment got me to thinking of a new series coming to SyPhy, or whatever they're calling it today. About a show just like that! Also has some weird makeup on the aliens makes me think they're going with the camp look.

Reaction score
Is SyPhy the one where aliens attack Earth and destroy some woman's house? Or is that something else?

Reaction score
I keep looking at this board and I get rage sweats...

Where did this come from and is it real?

This is like a 6th grade class learning about writing, right? One of the kids' parents is super liberal so Diversity gets in there twice. Little Billy chimes in with Dinosaurs. "good one Billy, right class? yeah, good job Billy. The teacher assigns more dramatic words to the things the kids throw out there...
Jane? "Make it funny" < good, let's add Humor. Greg? "Bad Guys!" <excellent, let's say Sith Empire and Chaos Agents... that means people that want to do bad things. How about you Evan? "I don't like war" <no, no... it's definitely not Pro-war. Kiki? "I like lots of cool things to happen, like in space with lots of people" << OK, Scope... that means lots of stuff happens, Mythic... like cool and special, Space and how about Lightsabers? also not about just a single character.

Reaction score
I keep looking at this board and I get rage sweats...

Where did this come from and is it real?

This is like a 6th grade class learning about writing, right? One of the kids' parents is super liberal so Diversity gets in there twice. Little Billy chimes in with Dinosaurs. "good one Billy, right class? yeah, good job Billy. The teacher assigns more dramatic words to the things the kids throw out there...
Jane? "Make it funny" < good, let's add Humor. Greg? "Bad Guys!" <excellent, let's say Sith Empire and Chaos Agents... that means people that want to do bad things. How about you Evan? "I don't like war" <no, no... it's definitely not Pro-war. Kiki? "I like lots of cool things to happen, like in space with lots of people" << OK, Scope... that means lots of stuff happens, Mythic... like cool and special, Space and how about Lightsabers? also not about just a single character.
Yes, it's absolutely REAL. Interestingly, I'd heard that this particular moment has since been deleted from the initially posted video - but I no longer care enough to go back and check.

Reaction score
That whiteboard is why Star Wars is sh!te now. It's a checklist of unimportant tags and no story. They haven't a clue what to do with the series. Everything that happens that been good, i.e. 'Rogue One' and 'The Mandalorian', is probably good by accident mainly.

Reaction score
Rogue One and Mandalorian are not using known characters or copying what came before.

Reaction score
I keep saying this because it sound interesting to me. Not Aphra per say, but an archaeologist type character searching for some ancient "macguffin".
Where the journey takes this person to new places and meets new characters, and maybe even honorable mentions of past characters that connect to the story in some small way. One day comes across an old Sith artifact an potentially releases an ancient evil? Or they're just on a mission to round up lost Jedi artifacts to bring back to a museum etc. IDK the concept archaeology has always intrigued me, and seems like it could work if done right.

With a stronger focus on a lot of the side stuff going on in the Galaxy rather than following heroes.