New Star Wars collector here with questions on Return of the Jedi figures

Reaction score
I have read online that all Star Wars Return of the Jedi figures that are carded and factory sealed were either made in Hong Kong or Taiwan. Is that true since I have seen one AFA figure that said MADE IN CHINA on the back of the card? The article I read said anything that says made in china on the back of the box is a forgery.

Also I have seen a few carded Return of the Jedi figures that have a sticker on the back of the card that states the COO of were its made instead of the normally printed words of the COO on the cardboard. Are these forgeries since there is a black sticker with white letters stating were the figure was made?

Last but not least I have also read online that too look for the XXXXX pattern of the glue on the bubble too determine it wasnt resealed . Is that a good rule of thumb.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jason

Reaction score
Welcome Jason.

There is a vintage buying guide that has a ton of views on ebay that is unfortunately incorrect on many levels. I assume this is the article you read, since you mention China COO's.

There are in fact a few figures with China COO's dating all the way back to even original Luke's. Also some with Made In Macao.

Ignore most articles not written on a Star Wars collecting specific site. You're in the right place here. Any misinformation here is quickly corrected. :)

Ian

Reaction score
in addition to Taiwan and maccao there is also made in mexico. there are some with the stickers on the back of the card for the coo the xxxx pattern is one indication that it is legit. I would suggest that if there is any doubt in your mind that you post pictures on here and let the experts here help you out. if you do that I can guarantee you will not get a repro.

Reaction score
Welcome, Jason. RS is a valuable and reliable resource. In the few months I've been here (since July of last year), I've found the community to be helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. As Ian said above, "You're in the right place."

Reaction score
The article you read is absolutely NOT true. I currently have a carded ROTJ Stormtrooper in my collection, and it has the raised bar China COO. Luke X Wing and serval other figures also have variants with the raised bar China COO.

Reaction score
I definitely understand your concern! I remember receiving an MOC of Paploo a while back when I was a brand new to the carded game. My initial reaction to the card was, "this has to be fake". The Paploo I own is a POTF Made in Mexico carded figure, and it threw me for a loop, until I started doing my research. Welcome to the forum, now take a deep breath, crack open a cold one, and start reading (legitimate, collector base sources). If you need any guidance, Ian or Lady Macbeth are just a PM away :sneaky: .

Reaction score
If you need any guidance, Ian or Lady Macbeth are just a PM away :sneaky: .
How kind of you, Nihilist. But, really, if you have ANY questions about vintage - loose or carded - Ian is your go-to guy. If you want a welcoming committee and some general blathering (or perhaps some advice on excessive categorization and organization for more modern collectibles), I'm your gal. :p

P.S. Don't crack open a cold one and then start shopping. Baaaaaad idea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think, based on his wording, Nihilist was implying we are the same person LM. ;)

And I'm not accepting that role. There are lots of people on this board with far greater knowledge than I have. To paraphrase Dr. Ian ( B) ) Malcolm's assessment of John Hammond in Jurassic Park: I just read what others have done and took the next step. I didn't earn the knowledge for myself, I just stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish a little respect. :whistling:

Ian

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I just dont want to buy a forgery like everyone on this site doesnt want to do.

Reaction score
I have read online that all Star Wars Return of the Jedi figures that are carded and factory sealed were either made in Hong Kong or Taiwan.
Welcome to the forum :), get ready "you are going to unlearn what you just learned" o-o:

Is that true since I have seen one AFA figure that said MADE IN CHINA on the back of the card?

The article I read said anything that says made in china on the back of the box is a forgery.
Please, do not believe what the following article says :wtf::
Spotting Fake Vintage Star Wars Figures | eBay

If you want to learn about COO then read the following :D:
Introduction to COOs | Variant Villain

Also I have seen a few carded Return of the Jedi figures that have a sticker on the back of the card that states the COO of were its made instead of the normally printed words of the COO on the cardboard. Are these forgeries since there is a black sticker with white letters stating were the figure was made?
Check the following guide to the cardback variations including stickers on the back :eek::
Star Wars Card Back Variations

Last but not least I have also read online that too look for the XXXXX pattern of the glue on the bubble too determine it wasnt resealed . Is that a good rule of thumb.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jason
Make sure that you read all the links post it on the following thread, and there is no glue just heat seal B), if there is glue then it's a reseal but that's an entire different subject, if you have more questions just post it here and someone will try to answer it or direct you to the best source :):
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t884905/#post14816316

Reaction score
Great info Lt Brenn. Everyone on this site has been more then helpful. Now what's the best way to stay away from a forgery. The reason I'm asking is because I buy a lot on eBay. I am mostly buying Return of the Jedi since that's what I had as a child. Most of the figures I buy are not AFA since I'm not concerned about value on a figure. All I want in a carded figure is for the box to look nice enough to be displayed nicely.

Reaction score
Most of the figures I buy are not AFA since I'm not concerned about value on a figure. All I want in a carded figure is for the box to look nice enough to be displayed nicely.
Now you're singing my tune. :)

Until you learn, it's best to put pics up here and ask for advice. Having a couple of legit cards in front of you helps. Look for differences in card stock thickness, pixelation in the image, letter fonts that don't match up to legit ones, etc. It takes time to pinpoint a recard or repro on sight, so you need to spend a lot of time in here reading. ;) In the meantime, we're here to help.

Ian

Reaction score
I think, based on his wording, Nihilist was implying we are the same person LM. ;)

And I'm not accepting that role. There are lots of people on this board with far greater knowledge than I have. To paraphrase Dr. Ian ( B) ) Malcolm's assessment of John Hammond in Jurassic Park: I just read what others have done and took the next step. I didn't earn the knowledge for myself, I just stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish a little respect. :whistling:

Ian
Was he? I guess I missed that. I think it's pretty clear from a lot of my postings that I am female. Sometimes, I feel like the only woman on RS (I know there must be others, but I don't see them post with any regularity). I also realize that collecting (especially action figures!) is often more of a typically "male" hobby.

Fantastic quote, btw. But - to a certain extent - isn't that how most of us gain knowledge? We learn from others; we build on the information those before us have gathered. Then we pass on what we know. Hammond's mistake (well, one of his many) was not thinking ahead or considering the consequences. It would seem Jurassic World will be very much based on the same premise. I mean, who in their right mind would create an enormous carnivore that can blend in with its environment, essentially rendering it the apex predator of planet Earth (should it ever escape the island)?

Reaction score
Ian I would like to posts pictures of my Return of the Jedi figures so all of you can look at it and tell me if its legit but I cant yet. How long do I have to wait too post pictures? Thanks Jason

Reaction score
I have a "green horn" question as well. The yoda figure above has a red AFA logo on the sticker. I have seen some with a red logo and some that do not have a red logo. Is this something they do for a reason ?

Reaction score
Ian I would like to posts pictures of my Return of the Jedi figures so all of you can look at it and tell me if its legit but I cant yet. How long do I have to wait too post pictures? Thanks Jason
You can post pictures as a reply or with a new thread at any time you want.

I can't answer JHFett's question, as I don't know anything about color coded labels from AFA.

Ian