New Retro Line

Reaction score
I would prefer new figures from Mando or the other movies. Fett maybe the only OT figure I want due to the upgraded armor. Possibly Fat Bib Fortunatoo. I want Ashoka. Bo Katana. Fennec. IG-11. Mando as Stormtrooper and the Dark Troopers are enough for series 2. We do not need figures that you can get on Ebay for less than $10 loose nor would I want to devalue figures out there.

Reaction score
I would prefer new figures from Mando or the other movies. Fett maybe the only OT figure I want due to the upgraded armor. Possibly Fat Bib Fortunatoo. I want Ashoka. Bo Katana. Fennec. IG-11. Mando as Stormtrooper and the Dark Troopers are enough for series 2. We do not need figures that you can get on Ebay for less than $10 loose nor would I want to devalue figures out there.
The point is the correct Mando offerings should be reserved for TVC and black seies, not the Retro collection. Retro collection should be all OT characters and unreleased OT characters. Not merely giving the resources away to whatever the flavor of the month is. I'd rather have had Bea Arthur and Harvey Korman, as they are Era correct than a poorly executed Din Djarin. By the time newer figures were released, the plastic capes were replaced with cloth. If these were supposed to be any bit continuation minded, they blew it.
These are a cash grab at best, so collectors need to get figures already presented in TVC.
i don't mind them existing, but do them right or not at all. And as a supplimental, not at the expense of the OT characters that are in my opinion more entitled to be released in this format.
As for devaluing the originals? That's just noise.... Nobody complaining about archive figs or updated photoreals devaluing anything. And those are straight up reproductions, if not improvements which should devalue the originals.Toys are a risky investment and only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. These are retools, not reproduction. Hasbro couldn't give a flying fig newton about the secondary markets. Nor should they.
And what figs are you finding for $10 loose and complete? Even the weapon to a common figure sells for more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is crap. There should be Retro figures for all the Star Wars projects. This type of Gatekeeping is why people hate this fandom. When Episode 1 came out, I was legit sad they were Power of the Force 2 and not old school Kenner. I want a Retro Mace, Maul, Anakin and Padme.

Mandalorian is as OT as you are going to get. The characters are interacting with Fett and Luke for God's sake. You also think people really want a random alien from the Cantina or Admiral Piett next to Ashoka or the Dark Troopers. Come on.

Reaction score
I don't think people are arguing that characters from new media shouldn't be made at all, they should simply be in TVC over Retro. TVC does visually stunning characters justice...Retro gives them soft features which makes them look more generic. Many people that pre-ordered the Mando wave in Retro are actually reconsidering collecting them. Likewise, there's no real nostalgia for Retro figures from new media, considering they were never made by Kenner. Its cool if some collectors like that style for all media, but many of the Kenner collectors simply want to see more coverage for the OT, because that's what ushered this line into existence. Many fans have been dreaming of what Kenner "could have" released for the OT for decades, and want to see that realized - especially before a series that's been around for only a couple years...

Reaction score
And many collectors want the RETRO collection to branch out. If nobody wanted RETRO figs in new media, the preorders wouldn’t have initially sold out within minutes...

I want sequel figs of Luke, Han, and Leia. And frankly, I’m tired of whiney people claiming with bogus authority that they speak for everyone else.

NEWSFLASH: they don’t.

Reaction score
That is crap. There should be Retro figures for all the Star Wars projects. This type of Gatekeeping is why people hate this fandom. When Episode 1 came out, I was legit sad they were Power of the Force 2 and not old school Kenner. I want a Retro Mace, Maul, Anakin and Padme.

Mandalorian is as OT as you are going to get. The characters are interacting with Fett and Luke for God's sake. You also think people really want a random alien from the Cantina or Admiral Piett next to Ashoka or the Dark Troopers. Come on.
Would you sacrifice those characters from TVC or Black series to have them solely in Retro? I don't think so. Would OT people sacrifice the same? Most of us would.
The biggest thing is this will open the floodgate. How long before we start seeing prequel characters and Rey taking up slots that should go to Power droid or Walrus Man. If you can't see why the old guard see this in a clearer light, its probably because these are not your childhood toys. There is something almost sacred about vintage Kenner figs for the old guard. So am I a gatekeeper. Hell yes.i wear that badge with honor not as an insult. If you want retro style toys go see reaction and super 7 who are better suited to flavor of the month figs.
These to us are MEMORIES. Those of us that grew up with them want characters we were gipped out of not Mace Windu. Kids that got POTF2 figs will have a fonder place for a Mace of that ilk anyway.

Reaction score
This line is great as a niche exclusive, but it will never represent the entire 3.75 scale. This is why they're doing one wave per year. The Mando wave is a test to see how well they do widespread, instead of as an exclusive - and they're still available nearly everywhere for pre-order. I think the vast majority of fans want realistically sculpted figures - if everything from new media was released in Retro instead of TVC, I can only imagine how many people would be furious and quit the hobby. Even if Retro received a single exclusive character, and it was never made in TVC, so many would be disgruntled. Look at the movie figures made in TBS that have never been released in TVC, its upset many collectors - that's proof positive. On a side note, no one should be attempting to insult fellow collectors because of their line preferences. We're discussing the products, not each other - when it comes to "toxic fandom" everyone should reread their own comments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This thread has been constant griping about the Mando Retro wave. The endless know-it-all negativity has finally set me off.

PS — This wave is still avail for preorder as Hasbro has wisely decided to make as many as people will order. The Mando initially sold out everywhere — within minutes — and stores promptly decided to order more. That is not a sign that the figs aren’t selling. It’s actually the exact opposite, Why people keep pushing that b.s. with zero evidence baffles me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So in other words no one else is entitled to an opinion?

I dont understand getting worked up over action figures in the least.
I never said that if you read the whole post, as a supplimental they are great but could be a lot better. I don't want them to make outside Ot characters INSTEAD of OT characters.
I ordered my fair share of these but will need to customize a lot of them a bot to make them look as if they were released then. Like Mando should have a cape like Squid head, not Vader.

Reaction score
I actually like the vinyl capes as they scream retro to me. Especially on Karga and Gideon. I don’t think Kenner would have given Mando a cape — they short changed Boba Fett.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would choose Retro any day. Twice on Sunday. TVC are just GI Joe versions of Star Wars figures. Also ..this company can make all three. Retro. Black. TVC. I have TVC due not to having Retro versions. When I get the Retro I will change them out. Mando is popular due being Retro. Also I see Retros in stores as opposed to TVC.

Reaction score
I actually like the vinyl capes as they scream retro to me. Especially on Karga and Gideon. I don’t think Kenner would have given Mando a cape — they short changed Boba Fett.
Boba Fett couldn’t have a cape with his jet pack on his back. Maybe with cloth but not vinyl. If they do a retro Beskar Mando, they better include a jet pack and cloth or leave the cape off like the vintage Boba Fett.

Reaction score
But people like the ANH and ESB Kenner figs way more than the ROTJ of POTF figs. The former are way more iconic. Which is what the Mando Wave seems to be striving for.

Reaction score
Boba Fett couldn’t have a cape with his jet pack on his back. Maybe with cloth but not vinyl. If they do a retro Beskar Mando, they better include a jet pack and cloth or leave the cape off like the vintage Boba Fett.
My original vintage Fett rocked a 'Battlestar' Starbuck cape, worked just fine given its waist length.

Reaction score
And you've been wrong every time you said it. This is just like those 4" lunatics who rage against 6" figures because their preferred "expression" didn't get to go to bat first.
Um...no. I guess the fact that these have now departed from what they once were takes away from the original appeal. These were fueled by Nostalgia, not presented as a styalized line like Galaxy of Adventure. Flooding this line with new figures makes it feel like the original vision was either not good enough, or an excuse to flood the market with inexpensive alternitaves to finally kill TVC? Either way the ship has sailed. Its likely we will get Rogue One figures too for the 5th anniversary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never said that if you read the whole post, as a supplimental they are great but could be a lot better. I don't want them to make outside Ot characters INSTEAD of OT characters.
I ordered my fair share of these but will need to customize a lot of them a bot to make them look as if they were released then. Like Mando should have a cape like Squid head, not Vader.
Wasn't meant for you 😉

Reaction score
Does anybody else think that there will be a corresponding Retro wave with the release of the Disney + shows?

Reaction score
Does anybody else think that there will be a corresponding Retro wave with the release of the Disney + shows?
I wouldn’t think so. After hearing people both happy with the Mando Retro figures and those really wanting OT Retro figures, Hasbro needs to listen to (which they do, they say) us and get the Retro Collection back on track with OT figures. They need to treat it more like the Vintage Collection line. When I say this I’m meaning the treatment of many years ago when it thrived and wasn’t on the back seat to the Black Series. Start releasing more figures waves per year, unreleased in each wave and throw in a few vehicles too. People will buy them. Who know though, the Mand figures were a surprise but I’d think we’d see a wave two of retro Mandos before another line first.

Reaction score
What do those go for nowaday?
A big reason I am so passionate about the retro line is that I supported it from day one. Look back in this very thread how many people crapped all over it, then when they saw them jumped all over them. Especially that fella you just pictured. I was able to order a bunch of these for fellow scummers, and never even bothered to see what they go for now.

Reaction score
They are usually about $75 and up, but I got this at a comic shop for $50. It seems fair. I’m sure that they initially were mercilessly scalped, but I’m fine with that price now.

Reaction score
I was fortunate with this one unlike most everything else.
Congrats on getting one at a decent price years later. I wasn’t sure about it but I figured I would get every figure in the line so I got a couple from Target.com. They look a lot better in hand.

Reaction score
They are usually about $75 and up, but I got this at a comic shop for $50. It seems fair. I’m sure that they initially were mercilessly scalped, but I’m fine with that price now.
Unfortunately the prototype Vader was hoarded by scalpers and collectors alike from the beginning, resulting in many of us never being able to order any. Same happened at retail, a local store received one case, and some POS near me hoarded the whole thing. Shame nothing was done to stop this - Target is a much better company than WM, but they let the hoarders place multiple online orders so long as they ordered a couple at a time. I ended up never buying one, and I hope Retro doesn't have anymore exclusives like this unless they're limited to Pulse, where they let collectors buy ONE each.

Reaction score
Thinking about getting into the Retro line as I've always been fond of the original line, but never dared to really get into it due to how expensive they could be (the only one I do have is a Royal Guard I found loose in a store and only got because they are my favorite). These look like a way more reasonable way to get into the "Retro Side" of SW figure collecting. While I'm not totally opposed to this line going beyond the OT, I do hope they do it sparingly since this line is a homage for the original figure line and not putting out OT figures would feel like it would to be going against that.

Reaction score
Wow. All in all that's a good price. When these came out you could order 2 at a time with $25 worth of stuff in your cart. It made it a bit more fair. Luckily i was doing a sock purge at the time. I offered them up here at retail plus shipping, but after awhile nobody wanted them and I returned them to the store. Should have kept them.

Reaction score
Here's a question for all of you, do you display retro characters that were not produces previously with your vintage Kenner collection? I have mine displayed in playsets.