New Retro Line

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on this but could this carbonised craze that's sweeping the Black Series 6" world right now work well for the Threepio and Artoo?
Only problem is as I understand they cant stand up to much play wear. Plus the vac metal on them is so iconic most of us would create a stir...

MARK2D2

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Artoo (sensorscope)
Threepio (removable limbs)
Han Bespin
AT-AT Driver
Bossk
IG-88
Nice list. My only change would be do the droids as some individually carded two pack so they could then add — Leia Bespin.
Oh, and maybe swap out AT-AT Driver for a Snowtrooper!

Simdog

Moff
Reaction score
I think Hasbro could/should do a few more of the vintage favorites and if they aren't going to redo all of them, they could/should throw us a bone by putting together some sets. I think a cantina set with all the Cantina aliens in it for a con or celebration exclusive and pack in either the blue snaggletooth or an unmade bith. I do think some vintage collectors would be bothered by the blue snaggletooth release as it might be believed to devalue their original one. Maybe, maybe not. I think that is a way we could get more retro figures.

MARK2D2

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
A Retro Cantina Playset with figures would be amazing! Greedo, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, Blue Snaggletooth and previously Bith Cantina Band Member would be amazing.

How about: Land Of The Jawas — with two Jawas (both versions of the cape!) R5-D4, Death Star, Power Droid, and previously ignored Owen Lars? Or even crazier a vintage style R1-G4. 😜

PS — The recent Q&A on Victoria’s Cantina had Hasbro saying on record that they were looking into expanding the line into vehicles and playsets.

Simdog

Moff
Reaction score
A Retro Cantina Playset with figures would be amazing! Greedo, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, Blue Snaggletooth and previously Bith Cantina Band Member would be amazing.

How about: Land Of The Jawas — with two Jawas (both versions of the cape!) R5-D4, Death Star, Power Droid, and previously ignored Owen Lars? Or even crazier a vintage style R1-G4. 😜

PS — The recent Q&A on Victoria’s Cantina had Hasbro saying on record that they were looking into expanding the line into vehicles and playsets.
I'll have to see that chat. I'm all for them expanding the line but I would prefer them expand it to more unmade figures. Playsets are cool but not at the expense of VC (my opinion). Vehicles, however, I do not think is a good idea. They have already made high quality versions and upgrades on everything in the Kenner collection. Now, they are considering down grading. Not sure about that although collectors will eventually buy everything OT. I just don't want poor sales on vehicles nad playset to doom the continuation of the figure line.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
I'll have to see that chat. I'm all for them expanding the line but I would prefer them expand it to more unmade figures. Playsets are cool but not at the expense of VC (my opinion). Vehicles, however, I do not think is a good idea. They have already made high quality versions and upgrades on everything in the Kenner collection. Now, they are considering down grading. Not sure about that although collectors will eventually buy everything OT. I just don't want poor sales on vehicles nad playset to doom the continuation of the figure line.
all they have to do is release vehicle battle packs, an x wing canopy and guns, a Falcon set of struts, the gunner glass, and the training ball, tie fighter wing clips, the rest of the vehicle is on ebay for you....lol

darth_sidious

Emperor
Reaction score
I'm not sure playsets and vehicles would move when compared to those in TVC that are highly detailed. I bought the Jabba's Palace set in TVC, but if Retro did the same thing, only made it look cheaper with decals, I'd certainly pass. I honestly hope they focus on figures, and get some new sculpts and rare releases into the mix. The ESB reveals are pretty boring honestly. I have a feeling the Hoth game will gather dust just as the Tarkin set did after initial shipments sold.

MARK2D2

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Darth Sidious — I disagree. I think done sparingly, a truly 100% faithful retro playset and key vehicle, like the TIE Fighter (complete with stickers and lights and sound JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL 1978 release) would be a huge hit with the same people that buy the retro figs. Again, I am talking, sparingly. One playset, one vehicle, a year.

PS — As my unrequited dreams for a retro carry case increasingly seems like a pie-in the-sky fantasy, I created my own. :) Going for a 1970s vibe here. The orange handle helps. As did the recently scored old-school vintage label maker. 805DAD83-BC93-4BFB-A6FD-EF0EBA245C00.jpeg

Last edited:

darth_sidious

Emperor
Reaction score
Hey, its possible that they'd be a hit, I just seriously doubt it. Perhaps if they did a limited run online it would work. I just don't see them taking shelf space up, especially if the pricepoints are the same as TVC items. Even at $20, the Tarkin set eventually gathered dust (and continues to linger at $15), so I'm concerned that higher pricepoint Retro items will do the same. Action figures at $10 will even be scooped up by casual fans, but I'm not sure the same would hold true for playsets and vehicles outside of hardcore collectors.

If we use Dagobah as a example, its a cool Kenner playset right? The tooling is long gone though. If Hasbro retooled the Kenner version, we'd be paying at least $40 like we did for the Jabba's Palace set. Given that, and how readily available the original is, the tooling expense just doesn't seem like a viable use of resources. I'd love a TVC version of Dagobah for $40, but not a repro version of the Kenner set with all those gimmicks for the same price. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from being vocal about what they desire, I'm just trying to be realistic with all the cutbacks and extremely limited resources that Hasbro has imposed for the 3.75 scale.

Muftak

High Admiral
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

I absolutely rule out any newly designed Retro-styled vehicles or playsets. If they can't budget new designs and tooling for the current line, how could they justify it for the offshoot subline?

They've discovered they can make a buck by selling us the nostalgia, but for the playsets and vehicles the costs would be much higher and the risks bigger. They get a much better bang for their buck just retooling the figures and selling them to us at $10 a pop. Let's not forget how few of these "successful" figures they actually put out there last year. One case of 6 figures, shipped out twice (Once to Target, once to the e-tailers)...that's like nothing, numbers-wise. I can't help but feel vehicles and plastic playsets are just way outside their current budgets.

Best case scenario would be the cardboard playsets--Mos Eisely, Bespin, Palitoy Death Star. A unique carded figure included in the package. If they were feeling ambitious they could design new cardboard sets in the vintage style. (Say...an Emperor's Throne Room would be a great idea for a hit there.)

I don't get the vibe there is any ambition on the Star Wars team these days, though.

(I would just die for some reissued Mini-Rigs, though...)

darth_sidious

Emperor
Reaction score
Hey Muftak! Hope you're doing well.

Releasing a mini rig to test the market would be an interesting idea, especially if they hit the $14.99 pricepoint. They could release an existing Kenner model, or even one of the concepts that never made it out, like the mini fighter that attaches to the Falcon:

That being said, it would likely require interest from a major retailer. As one of the Hasbro reps revealed at TF, it was WM that asked for a wave of Retro figures, after seeing the success Target had with the first round. I'm curious if Target asked for more at any point, or originally planned to continue the exclusive status?

Simdog

Moff
Reaction score
I just want to see them expand the line a bit more. For starters, let's get a spring wave and a winter wave. Let's get a 3-4 figure multipack exclusive from the cons. Let's get a cardboard pack in with figure or a beast assortment set with a figure i.e. Dewback and sandtrooper, wampa and Hoth Luke, Diagnoga with Stormtrooper Han, Jabba of course.

DJ121

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Darth Sidious — I disagree. I think done sparingly, a truly 100% faithful retro playset and key vehicle, like the TIE Fighter (complete with stickers and lights and sound JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL 1978 release) would be a huge hit with the same people that buy the retro figs. Again, I am talking, sparingly. One playset, one vehicle, a year.

PS — As my unrequited dreams for a retro carry case increasingly seems like a pie-in the-sky fantasy, I created my own. :) Going for a 1970s vibe here. The orange handle helps. As did the recently scored old-school vintage label maker.
Great job on the case. Looks Awesome, and is certainly decent option instead of them just piled up gathering dust like they are in my collection right now.

As for Hasbro doing classic Kenner vehicles..... as much as I would like to see it, I don't think it will happen. They retooled the X-Wing back in 1995, and replaced the buzz motor with all the fancy sounds. The other thing is manufacturing. It cost a lot less money to make and assemble those classic Kenner vehicles back then. Surely, it would cost them a lot more now. I bring this up every now and then, but I had the chance to talk to Mark Boudreaux way back in 2012. It was just after they announced those $19.99 "class II" vehicles that only hold one figure, and need to be snapped together. I asked him how it was considered cheaper to redesign the vehicles down to a smaller scale, when they already had the original molds from Kenner. He said it was all production cost. Those molds use multiple parts. Hardware like screws would need to be purchased, and they would have to pay someone to assemble them. So that same Kenner X-Wing that cost $14.99 back in 1978 would probably cost close to $60. And we already know they are jacking prices like crazy. That Walmart Tie Fighter had a retail of $79.99! They can give us all new, higher detailed versions for what, another $20?

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
I never want to see Retro con exclusives again. It is easy enough to get them but then Crayola Vader came al9ng and caused scalpers to wreak havoc. Kieep it simple.

Simdog

Moff
Reaction score
I never want to see Retro con exclusives again. It is easy enough to get them but then Crayola Vader came al9ng and caused scalpers to wreak havoc. Kieep it simple.
I want to see con exclusives. Just make it worth the trouble. That was one of the worst.

Reaction score
I think the retro line collectors could/would support something as simple as a reissue of the vintage Dagobah playset, and or the vintage Cloud city cardboard set. Especially this year with the ESB anniversary. If either of these sold well then we could talk about other fun playset reissue’s. I also think something like the Dagobah playset would be bought by modern figure collectors as well.

Yukface

Admiral
Reaction score
I agree. Everyone should have the opportunity to put stuff in their collection. The sdcc carded Fett turned me off, thankfully, to the entire black series.

jedimasterc

Sith Lord
Reaction score

PS — As my unrequited dreams for a retro carry case increasingly seems like a pie-in the-sky fantasy, I created my own. :) Going for a 1970s vibe here. The orange handle helps. As did the recently scored old-school vintage label maker. View attachment 348121
I have 2 of the vintage SW carrying cases and one from ESB.

jimmii

High Admiral
Reaction score
Hey Muftak! Hope you're doing well.

Releasing a mini rig to test the market would be an interesting idea, especially if they hit the $14.99 pricepoint. They could release an existing Kenner model, or even one of the concepts that never made it out, like the mini fighter that attaches to the Falcon:

That being said, it would likely require interest from a major retailer. As one of the Hasbro reps revealed at TF, it was WM that asked for a wave of Retro figures, after seeing the success Target had with the first round. I'm curious if Target asked for more at any point, or originally planned to continue the exclusive status?
I'd definitely buy mini rigs! I doubt they'd be priced at $14.99, but I doubt they'd be more than $25...which I'd still buy.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Anyone think the Millennium Falcon will be released again? Not paying 800+ for the TRU TVC one.
Supposedly the molds broke in 2004 when they were making the otc Falcon.. Rumor or fact? Heaven knows but that's the excuse I'd heard when they released the Nerf Falcon. I suspect at some point the Legacy BMF will show up again.

R1G4R3PO

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
^ you'd think they could acquire a 2004 or older version, scan the parts and recreate the molds via computer

jimmii

High Admiral
Reaction score
I did not realize how much the 2004 otc version MIB costs now...is it an exact replica of the Kenner version or different?

R1G4R3PO

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I did not realize how much the 2004 otc version MIB costs now...is it an exact replica of the Kenner version or different?
its basically same, but with some updated tweeks and paint aps. Choosing between it and TLC BMF for a retro repack, the 2004 would be far more fitting

Coreworld

High Admiral
Reaction score

Working Landing Gear and a boarding ramp...how I miss you!
This is all we needed for the release of TFA, just a rectenna and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Yukface

Admiral
Reaction score
My bad... not TVC but the OT... thanks for not grilling me.

I really like the graphics on the box of this but would love to see the new retro figures pictured on the front.

I am a machinist and my first job was at a shop that made plastic and die cast injection molds. I have a very hard time believing that a plastic mold "broke". Die cast molds would wear and they would return them occasionally where we would either push the parting line down and recut the detail or they would weld the problem areas and we would machine that back to proper spec. That being said, a tool of that size would be very expensive a *guess* would be somewhere between 50-80k. Big bucks to invest. But again, I highly doubt the mold broke. I would imagine a plastic mold could see 50k+ shots.

RogueStar

Vice Admiral
Reaction score
I could only see a mold being broken if it was dropped from a top rack in a warehouse or something. Or an idiot somehow setup the mold in the machine with one half upside down, and when the two halves were brought together, it mangled the surfaces.

I used to work at a small injection molding plant, where they had molds of all sizes. Most were steel, with a handful of smaller ones that were aluminum. I doubt the OTC Falcon mold was aluminum, which might be more likely to get damaged than a steel mold. But, who knows.

AaylaSecurasMan

Emperor
Reaction score

PS — As my unrequited dreams for a retro carry case increasingly seems like a pie-in the-sky fantasy, I created my own. :) Going for a 1970s vibe here. The orange handle helps. As did the recently scored old-school vintage label maker. View attachment 348121
That case looks great, could you be so kind to share the brand and where did you acquire it? Thanks.

Yukface

Admiral
Reaction score
I could only see a mold being broken if it was dropped from a top rack in a warehouse or something. Or an idiot somehow setup the mold in the machine with one half upside down, and when the two halves were brought together, it mangled the surfaces.

I used to work at a small injection molding plant, where they had molds of all sizes. Most were steel, with a handful of smaller ones that were aluminum. I doubt the OTC Falcon mold was aluminum, which might be more likely to get damaged than a steel mold. But, who knows.
Leader pins, as far as I know and in every mold i ever saw, have an offset corner meaning they cannot be put together incorrectly. If the mold was dropped i guarantee the floor it what would have taken the most damage.

Quick story... hot shot sales guy goes into WI(were in MN) to pick up a 6000lb mold for us to repair. He takes the company flat bed semi to pick it up. He was so cocky he assumed the lowly dock workers were responsible for securing the load. The driver is ALWAYS responsible for securing the load. He's however many miles down the freeway and looks in the rear view to find the mold was no longer on the bed of the truck. Luckily for him, it had slid off while doing a cloverleaf or entrance ramp and slid down into the grass. Had it come off on the freeway and a vehicle hit a basically solid block of steel weighing 6000lbs... would have closed the company. It took a wrecker to pull it out of the ditch. The only real problem was grass stuck in every crevice.

My point... tool steel molds dont "break" unless it was extremely out of the ordinary circumstances.

RogueWhistler

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
It seems more likely that it wore out, not broke. That's happened with a few Hasbro tools over the years.

Trenchrun

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
This line has great potential but I'm a bit worried to how committed Hasbro are.

Its a sign of laziness that they've used the TVC 'one size fits all' bubbles. Yoda looks ridiculous in a full sized bubble.

edbates

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
It seems more likely that it wore out, not broke. That's happened with a few Hasbro tools over the years.
I’ve read about toy molds wearing out on a number of toys through the years. it makes sense to me as many official “remakes” are not quite as good as the original run item.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
In todays modern age it would be easy to recast and remold a classic falcon. In fact i am positive if I had enough casting supplies I could do it myself.

VideoViper

High Admiral
Reaction score
I am no expert in molds & casting. However given the history at Hasbro, see Tanks for the Memories,
Broken molds means 1 or more of the following
1: they can't locate all the pieces/molds due to not expecting to make said product again.
2: Molds were shipped over to China, enter China factory shenanigans.
3: Molds legitimately can not be used to created same quality products due to use/age.