New Retro Line

Reaction score
Yeah, I was in the General Riekaan camp earlier today but he is too obscure for the Kenner line at this point. I’m now leaning toward a snowspeeder Luke or Wedge and if Hasbro wants to go cheap, they are going to do a snow deco Vader or Chewie.

Reaction score
Apparently the Death Star game is no longer a Target exclusive and is showing up at Barnes and Noble now:

Reaction score
I wonder how Hasbro is going to release 6 or 7 figures without keeping a top 4 character in the wave (Vader, Luke Leia , Han). Maybe it just won't matter but releasing Ben, tusken Raider, Deathsquad Commander, 3PO and R2 and a Jawa may seem boring to some; even if they were to release and Sandtrooper or a Rebel Fleet trooper with it.
I dont think anyone could be sure that vader luke leia and han are indisputably top 4 figures...depending on the poll Artoo or threepio could trump those ones as characters but even more so as figures if they release with vac metal finishes.

Reaction score
I am so curious about this line. Where are they going with it? How creative do they plan to get with this line?

Reaction score
I am so curious about this line. Where are they going with it? How creative do they plan to get with this line?
I'd say they will put in a quarter of the creativity that we would hope for.

And I'll take it.

Having 25% uptick in more new vintage style stuff is better than none. I just hope they get a better handle on how these get out, and keep case assortments somewhat sensible.

Reaction score
I just watched the Junkman's video and while I believe he is right about Hasbro not feeling there is an iconic unmade character in the ESB that hasn't been made, I disagree with the decision not to make one this year. Yes, we are all excited to collect these figures again but what we all are excited about is new unmade stuff. If you read the vintage forums, many of those collectors were not thrilled with the re-release of these figures or having to buy them again but many of them were curious about the Tarkin. The junkman said that R2 with sensorscope and 3Po removable limbs could be pack-ins like the "tarkin" figure which means they come with the game but Removable Limbs 3PO was not during the battle of Hoth. Someone should contact the Junkman and see if he has any updated information or can do an updated video.

Either way, this line would probably sell well but I believe that they would be making a big mistake by not doing one single unmade character for ESB. Wedge or snowspeeder Luke (while not my number one choices) would be a no brainer for the game.

Reaction score
On the Hoth theme, I'd even take a Force Ghost Kenobi. Then they can re-lease a normal one later. That would be my last hope for a hook figure for the game. I'd rather something new. I never felt satified with the Kenner Imperial Commnder as a kid, so I'd also be happy with a traditional officers unifrom Veers or Piett.

Reaction score
I think the games are boring to be honest - they should try something new. I love Hoth, but I cant think of any figure in the Kenner style that would pull me into buying a game. Even if they did a fan favorite type character such as General Rieekan, Toryn Farr, or Major Derlin - would those hook sales? I think those previous releases in the modern lines were plenty. Retro is a cool concept, but people will likely lose interest fast if there aren't some new characters that retain demand.

Reaction score
Instead of a game they should have done the cardboard playsets like Hoth Ice Planet, Cloud City, Death Star, ect...and included a carded figure.

Rather than tricking us into buying a lame game they could have raised the bar to an item that would be highly anticipated and fly off shelves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hope they realize that what the people really want are the new unmade characters. It will be easy for people what have all the original vintage or had all of them to sit out a wave because they don't care to hunt down figure that they have already in their collection. I hope junkman's rumor is wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I disagree. I think people will buy any and all figures released just like wave one. Hopefully they continue to add never released figures but using that as a focus is probably not a winning strategy in the big picture.

Reaction score
I disagree. I think people will buy any and all figures released just like wave one. Hopefully they continue to add never released figures but using that as a focus is probably not a winning strategy in the big picture.
I peek over into the vintage forums ever so often and the consensus seem to dislike the idea of the retro collection with the exception of the newly unmade Tarkin.

I am hoping for 6-8 figures with an unmade figure as a pack in and one as an exclusive should be the minimum. I really think they should this in the spring and in the fall as well.

and even though the prototype Vader figure did well, I hope to God that they don't do it again and get us something else in the retro line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not surprised the vintage collectors arent particularly happy about the Retro line. I'm sure many collectors have invested a lot of time and money into their collections.

That being said, these probably arent aimd at that demographic. Its apples and oranges. Hasbro has made just enough of a distinction to make it obvious which figures are which.

I dont believe the decision makers at Hasbro sit around a table and discuss what would make collectors happy per se. They are making decisions based on what they feel will sell and make them money. These fill a gaping hole for collectors who want the "feel" of true vintage figures but dont have the funds to make it a reality. I fall into that category. I realize they will never be valued like the originals but they are great for display and that feeling of nostalgia.

For those who dont like them, dont buy them. Cast your vote with your dollars. For those of us who are looking forward to more of these, there is exciting times ahead. Hopefully Hasbro can get a winning recipe of original releases with some never before released charachters sprinkled in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not surprised the vintage collectors arent particularly happy about the Retro line. I'm sure many collectors have invested a lot of time and money into their collections.

That being said, these probably arent aimd at that demographic. Its apples and oranges. Hasbro has made just enough of a distinction to make it obvious which figures are which.

I dont believe the decision makers at Hasbro sit around a table and discuss what would make collectors happy per se. They are making decisions based on what they feel will sell and make them money. These fill a gaping hole for collectors who want the "feel" of true vintage figures but dont have the funds to make it a reality. I fall into that category. I realize they will never be valued like the originals but they are great for display and that feeling of nostalgia.

For those who dont like them, dont buy them. Cast your vote with your dollars. For those of us who are looking forward to lore of these there is exciting times ahead. Hopefully Hasbro can get a winning recipe of original releases with some never before released charachters sprinkled in.
Yeah, you are mostly right but if Hasbro wasn't making decisions on what made collectors happy, then perhaps they wouldn't have stuck that huge and very ugly retro sticker on the card. Anyway, like Yukface, I collect the retro line because I'd like the fun and excitement of collecting vintage figures on card. I have all of the original 92 vintage collection from my childhood in great condition, loose and displayed so owning them mint on card would look nice in my collection room. However, I can always look in my display cabinet for a blue snag or yakface if I want to see one closeup. My argument is for more unmade characters for which I can't look in my glass cabinet to see.

Reaction score
I think there is a very wide berth of possibilities for the Retro line. I hope Hasbro can make it a winning series for hardcore and casual collectors.

Reaction score
Judging by the selection of main characters and the inclusion of the figure based on the character that is the single most glaring omission from the original line (Tarkin), I think its safe to say that Hasbro grossly underestimated the demand for these figures. They used a really safe combination with what they released. Hopefully they take a few more risks with the line moving forward. The most asked question for Hasbro in regards to the Retro collection will no doubt be, "do you plan one re-making all of the original 92". I wonder if they feel that certain characters they made in the 70's and 80's are too risky to make these days seeing how the toy industry has changed so much.

Reaction score
Hey Yukface! As you can see I am board as heck. LOL Thanks for the back and forth today. I see the boards are otherwise slow. Since I have someones attention, I do have a question. How did you feel about the retro prototype being offered as opposed to any other figure? I was very disappointed. Yes, I understand that it seemingly sold well and was a hit due to all the variants (very concerned about the precedent that it set) that needed to be had in order to get them all but I feel like many collectors have dreamed for the Tarkins and other unmade characters to be made in the Kenner line; and for dead line that dream was pretty much dead. Then, the Tarkin is announced and there is an opportunity for more and we get an unnecessary figure. Ugh!

Reaction score

For those who dont like them, dont buy them. Cast your vote with your dollars. For those of us who are looking forward to more of these, there is exciting times ahead. Hopefully Hasbro can get a winning recipe of original releases with some never before released charachters sprinkled in.
Thanks to the power of EBay I picked a quite a few Vintage Figures from 2001-2010: SW, ESB, ROTJ mainly. I don’t mind the Retro collection at all. Though it would make the figures hard to distinguish from the originals.

Utinniii

Reaction score
These are for people that threw out their collections when they were young, or want their children/grandkids to experience having the original figures. Vintage/Retro is popular, and not just with toys. While some people will keep them packaged, I doubt Hasbro is really considering them.

I doubt Hasbro is considering collector value of the original Kenner items, nor should they. I'd be really surprised if they released them all (as it would take a decade or so). I think they need to stick to the mains and more popular characters. Some of them were just awful (which is subjective) and others are redundant (Just make an ultimate R2 or C3-P0).

I WANT them to produce all the rare and unproduced ones (Mongo Beefhead anyone?). I'd also like to see some original ones in the mix as well.
I'd like to see the mini rigs but not the vehicles but again. that is all subjective. I wouldn't mind (or buy) if they came out with move 3 packs for the ST and PT.

One problem with making new figures is that they might not make that version in Vintage. How would everyone feel if they make the Tonnika Sister (just one) in Retro but not in Vintage? What if we got a Retro Kabe but would never get a Vintage update on that figure? People are already annoyed that figures are only in one scale already.

Reaction score
These are for people that threw out their collections when they were young, or want their children/grandkids to experience having the original figures. Vintage/Retro is popular, and not just with toys. While some people will keep them packaged, I doubt Hasbro is really considering them.

I doubt Hasbro is considering collector value of the original Kenner items, nor should they. I'd be really surprised if they released them all (as it would take a decade or so). I think they need to stick to the mains and more popular characters. Some of them were just awful (which is subjective) and others are redundant (Just make an ultimate R2 or C3-P0).

I WANT them to produce all the rare and unproduced ones (Mongo Beefhead anyone?). I'd also like to see some original ones in the mix as well.
I'd like to see the mini rigs but not the vehicles but again. that is all subjective. I wouldn't mind (or buy) if they came out with move 3 packs for the ST and PT.

One problem with making new figures is that they might not make that version in Vintage. How would everyone feel if they make the Tonnika Sister (just one) in Retro but not in Vintage? What if we got a Retro Kabe but would never get a Vintage update on that figure? People are already annoyed that figures are only in one scale already.
They should be able to make both sisters now since Angela Staines contacted Hasbro about signing the likeness rights. Also don’t expect them to make them all, that’s just a bad idea and a headache for legit vintage collectors. I never saw this as an entire new line, just a one off anniversary tribute that won’t go full scale.

Reaction score
Hey Yukface! As you can see I am board as heck. LOL Thanks for the back and forth today. I see the boards are otherwise slow. Since I have someones attention, I do have a question. How did you feel about the retro prototype being offered as opposed to any other figure? I was very disappointed. Yes, I understand that it seemingly sold well and was a hit due to all the variants (very concerned about the precedent that it set) that needed to be had in order to get them all but I feel like many collectors have dreamed for the Tarkins and other unmade characters to be made in the Kenner line; and for dead line that dream was pretty much dead. Then, the Tarkin is announced and there is an opportunity for more and we get an unnecessary figure. Ugh!
Yes.. a little slow on new stuff. Possibly TFF release hangover? The Retro line is what I am excited about anymore.

As for Vader, I dont really see him as part of the Retro collection. I'm glad I was able to get him at retail from Target but would much prefer normal releases.

Utinniii

Reaction score
They should be able to make both sisters now since Angela Staines contacted Hasbro about signing the likeness rights. Also don’t expect them to make them all, that’s just a bad idea and a headache for legit vintage collectors. I never saw this as an entire new line, just a one off anniversary tribute that won’t go full scale.
Actually, my thinking was the costumes look exactly the same (from a Kenner perspective). It had nothing to do with legal issues. If people wanted both then they coud buy 2. Hasbro would save on tooling (especially if the belief "females don't sell" is held by the decision makers.

Reaction score
I can't see them doing a snowspeeder Luke or Wedge. The Kenner figures aren't really detailed enough for them to be that different from X-Wing Luke. I'm surprised going by the rumor list, that a Snowtrooper isn't in the line up. I would think they would include an army builder. It's odd that Han is the only Hoth figure. They would probably be better off to go with Bespin Han and include either Bespin Leia or Hoth Leia to have a more complete Cloud City theme. Another board game seems like a bad choice, but maybe the Death Star game sold better than it seems it did. I'd rather they remade one of the vintage ESB playsets, like Hoth Ice Planet or the Rebel Command Center or probably the cheapest one to remake, the Cloud City playset.

I hope they do make a General Rieekan, just like with Tarkin, Rieekan would be a perfect figure to round out the vintage Hoth based figures. They really need to include a army builder though. Hopefully they'll also get around to including some vehicles in the future (for 2021 maybe), surely they still have the molds from the Kenner vehicles they've reused since 1995. How awesome would it be if they reissued the classic X-Wing, but updated it to have a working droid socket so we could finally after 40 odd years remove R2-D2 or put R5-D4 in it.

The retro line seems to have brought back many people to collecting, and alot more that weren't collectors but grew up with the vintage line and now they're on a nostalgia trip trying to relive their childhood or sharing it with their children. It may be too late now, but maybe Hasbro can get them back onboard again next year. They need to have two or three waves a year of retro vintage to keep these new collectors on the hook.

Reaction score
I can't see them doing a snowspeeder Luke or Wedge. The Kenner figures aren't really detailed enough for them to be that different from X-Wing Luke. I'm surprised going by the rumor list, that a Snowtrooper isn't in the line up. I would think they would include an army builder. It's odd that Han is the only Hoth figure. They would probably be better off to go with Bespin Han and include either Bespin Leia or Hoth Leia to have a more complete Cloud City theme. Another board game seems like a bad choice, but maybe the Death Star game sold better than it seems it did. I'd rather they remade one of the vintage ESB playsets, like Hoth Ice Planet or the Rebel Command Center or probably the cheapest one to remake, the Cloud City playset.

I hope they do make a General Rieekan, just like with Tarkin, Rieekan would be a perfect figure to round out the vintage Hoth based figures. They really need to include a army builder though. Hopefully they'll also get around to including some vehicles in the future (for 2021 maybe), surely they still have the molds from the Kenner vehicles they've reused since 1995. How awesome would it be if they reissued the classic X-Wing, but updated it to have a working droid socket so we could finally after 40 odd years remove R2-D2 or put R5-D4 in it.

The retro line seems to have brought back many people to collecting, and alot more that weren't collectors but grew up with the vintage line and now they're on a nostalgia trip trying to relive their childhood or sharing it with their children. It may be too late now, but maybe Hasbro can get them back onboard again next year. They need to have two or three waves a year of retro vintage to keep these new collectors on the hook.
Here are my reasons why I think it's Dack... He is an easy retool with only a new head.Just lile Tarkin. They can recycle a tvc cardback...Just like Tarkin. The only way the game will sell is so we can get an all new figure...Just like Tarkin. See the pattern? And yes you can make him very different by giving thim gloves, a chin strap and a different helmet deco. If the pack in is a rehash the game will pegwarm worse than the Tarkin one.

Reaction score
Here are my reasons why I think it's Dack... He is an easy retool with only a new head.Just lile Tarkin. They can recycle a tvc cardback...Just like Tarkin. The only way the game will sell is so we can get an all new figure...Just like Tarkin. See the pattern? And yes you can make him very different by giving thim gloves, a chin strap and a different helmet deco. If the pack in is a rehash the game will pegwarm worse than the Tarkin one.
Snowspeeder pilots had gray boots, gray gloves and a heavier jacket with a thick collar so they were distinctive from the regular x-wing pilot. I don't think it would matter much if the regular x-wing pilot hasn't come back out yet. I'd prefer Wedge, Dack or even Luke Snowspeeder if I couldn't get Rieekan first. The rumors out there say R2 and 3Po as pack ins and I think that's a missed opportunity. Hasbro, keep the unmade figures coming.

As for the Snowtrooper... yeah, I agree that this should be coming out in since it is an army builder.

Reaction score
I never saw a single retro figure at Target, it must have sold well, or been such a limited run that it did.

Reaction score
Dak would need retooling/ kit bashing. I suppose for 1980s Kenner standards, a luke x-wing pilot, with blue helmet highlights, hoth han's arms and either hoth hsn's legs (etch markings filed off) or hoth Luke's legs may work.. As a kid I would make lists of what MIA figs I wanted made. 3 of them on my ESB list was "snowspeeder pilot" and "rebel turret gunner" which was the trooper on the hoth rebel soldier cardback but maybe using scene of the 1 jumping into trench. A repaint of rebel commander w/ retooled face could accomplish that figure. The 3rd, "rebel communications officer", aka .Torin Farr- repaint of hoth leia w/ new head. So either one of these 3 could be a good candidate.based on sculpting for tarkin. I guess there was a 4th hoth fig (5 if you count Bacta luke w/ robe). on my list for ESB,..General Riekeen. I Did have an extra hoth Han whose head cracked so I replaced it w/ Persius' head from Mattel's 3.75 Clash of the Titans short luved line. Yes the hair was wrong, but it was a good fit. Since the Han as a bit beat up anyway, and I have a new one, I did paint the coat brown and named it General Reikeen....So there's another quick fix for a possible fig. The thing about true vintage, figs weren't nessessarily screen accurate so quick kit bashing and repaint would suffice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think this is an unbelievable opportunity for Hasbro. This is a great chance to take one of the best toy lines of all time and improve it. A few secondary characters would take this line a long way.

Wedge
Rieekan
Piett
Uncle Owen
Aunt Beru
Oola
Dr. Evazan
Bith Musician

Reaction score
I think this is an unbelievable opportunity for Hasbro. This is a great chance to take one of the best toy lines of all time and improve it. A few secondary characters would take this line a long way.

Wedge
Rieekan
Piett
Uncle Owen
Aunt Beru
Oola
Dr. Evazan
Bith Musician
All of these were on my list as a kid. Wedge though was simply a generic "Rebel Pilot" for ANH and "Rebel Snowspeeder Pilot" for ESB. Plus about 3 dozen more for the trilogy. I don't recall knowing Dr. Evazan's name at the time though, so he was simply "Cantina Thug". Most had Kenner like simple names, "Imperial Spy" (Garindan), "Y-Wing Pilot" (grey/ ROTJ), "Stormtrooper (Tatooine Scouting Gear)", reused older name "Death Squad Commander" (Admiral Y.)- thought his white tunic and assumed black trousers looked like be a cool figure, "Cantina Bartender" (Wuher), "Cantina Waitress" (Tonnika sister/s..LOL), "Cloud City Deziden" (likey was ICMG), "Chief Ugnaught:" (variant that looked to be a superviser) etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am all for expanding this line but I am against vehicles. Trust me, I love the vehicles but the POTF2 versions are enough. I’d rather them keep the line focused on the figures.

Reaction score
Are there actual new figures coming out in this line? Or did the gripes of the vintage spoilsports kill it again like they did when Hasbro did the Classic 4-pack in 1995? "How dare you offer these mere peons access to a reasonable facsimile of our elite collections for a reasonable price!"
I think Hasbro is moving forward with releasing more. Hasbro needs an easy win now and this is an easy win. Unlike 95 when there was a ton of figures they could’ve done in the modern line. I agree with Hasbro on this line but I hope they keep a focus on unmade characters.

Reaction score
I am all for expanding this line but I am against vehicles. Trust me, I love the vehicles but the POTF2 versions are enough. I’d rather them keep the line focused on the figures.
Again, I may have to disagree lol... let me explain myself... for whatever reason the packaging is 99.99% of the draw for me. If I had to guess it brings me back to 78-79... a 5 year old staring in amazement at the display in the drug store window or the toy aisle. The shelf space alloted for Star Wars toys back then was enormous! I remember looking at the picture on the box and imagining all of the adventures that could be had. At that point, I had a young single mom trying to raise 2 kid on her own. She did what she could do to get the toys for me but I never had a whole lot. Enough, but not a lot so most of the vehicles I never got until they showed up at a garage sale.

Short story long, I'd really like a chance to buy and display some vintage vehicles. TRU basically already did the MF and the AT-AT. Missed that boat and not paying Ebay prices. So, again, whatever they make I will probably buy. :)

Reaction score
Again, I may have to disagree lol... let me explain myself... for whatever reason the packaging is 99.99% of the draw for me. If I had to guess it brings me back to 78-79... a 5 year old staring in amazement at the display in the drug store window or the toy aisle. The shelf space alloted for Star Wars toys back then was enormous! I remember looking at the picture on the box and imagining all of the adventures that could be had. At that point, I had a young single mom trying to raise 2 kid on her own. She did what she could do to get the toys for me but I never had a whole lot. Enough, but not a lot so most of the vehicles I never got until they showed up at a garage sale.

Short story long, I'd really like a chance to buy and display some vintage vehicles. TRU basically already did the MF and the AT-AT. Missed that boat and not paying Ebay prices. So, again, whatever they make I will probably buy. :)
Seeing it on store shelves does bring back fond memories but that possibility is almost non-existent these days since brick and mortar stores early have merchandise. There are lots of POTF2 vehicles available but they sold in the 90’s because better versions had not been made yet. Now they have and to top it off, what are they going to charge for it? They can’t sell the ultimate versions of the tie fighter and other VC vehicles. I think it could jeopardize the future of the retro line. I understand you though Yukface.

Reaction score
I was off the hook with POTF2 stuff. Had almost every vehicle and beast pack and most every figure. I think when I sold I had almost 600 carded figures. Wish I still had the excel spreadsheet of every single toy I had. Sold them all in the early 2000s and thankfully I did. Pretty much broke even minus gas money I suppose. I'll post up some pics. I had a problem lol.

I just want the vintage looking packaging... the toy itself means next to nothing other than the fact we know it's in the box.

Reaction score
Apparently the Death Star game is no longer a Target exclusive and is showing up at Barnes and Noble now:
It was never a Target exclusive. Target just got it first and way before others with the first retro wave which was at that time a Target exclusive but not the game itself.

Last edited: