New Retro Line

Reaction score
Out of all the possibilities, this is the best Hasbro could come up with? Let’s make copies instead of coming up with something new and interesting. This is not going to be good for the loose vintage collectors. At least Hasbro had the decency to label the card back”Retro”. Sure hope the figures also have bold “retro” stamps on their legs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They look fun to me. I may get some of them especially if they a plastic cape Jawa. I will never own a real one. But I would be okay with one like this. I would be more excited if they made some we never got like like Tarkin, Cantina Band, Han Stormtrooper, etc. I am not into the fake weathering but it doesn't kill it for me either. I could go for these especially for the capes and weapons. My vintage Leia looks a bit ragged but don't really want to buy a nicer one for $80 or whatever it is going now for a mint version. But a fake one for $10. Sure. I could be okay with that.

Reaction score
They look fun to me. I may get some of them especially if they a plastic cape Jawa. I will never own a real one. But I would be okay with one like this. I would be more excited if they made some we never got like like Tarkin, Cantina Band, Han Stormtrooper, etc. I am not into the fake weathering but it doesn't kill it for me either. I could go for these especially for the capes and weapons. My vintage Leia looks a bit ragged but don't really want to buy a nicer one for $80 or whatever it is going now for a mint version. But a fake one for $10. Sure. I could be okay with that.
That all makes sense. Certain things would be cool, like the Jawa, or the Last 17, or the Droids/Ewoks figures. I’d gladly buy a fake repro EV-9D9 or something, just to fill out the roster (even knowing it’s fake). It would hurt the owners of the originals though, so I guess ultimately I’d prefer not to see this.

But I certainly don’t want to see this if it’s replacing modern TVC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At least one never before made old school character will be in this line but may be a pack in.... and heavy emphasis on the movie that started it all....
Hmmm, if they're doing the original 12 and then one has a pack-in with it, then I'm going to guess the Jawa comes with a apck-in and it's the Power Droid or some other droid.

These don't interest me at all. I have the originals, I'm not interested in remakes with 70s style articulation. back in the day these were great because they didn't have more than 5 POA. However, in today's world 5 POA is unacceptable and this is a waste of resources that could be better used for the TVC line.

Also, great more repacks from Hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GNT

Reaction score
Out of all the possibilities, this is the best Hasbrocouls come up with? Let’s make copies instead of coming up with something new and interesting. This is not going to be good for the loosevintage collectors. At least Hasbro had the decency to label the card back”Retro”. Sure hope the figures also have bold “retro” stamps on their legs.
They should have the current year marked on them, possibly both 77-78 date as well. Not sure I like the same worn card look for all the cards, they could at least change it up.

Reaction score
Did not expect reissues. Agree that it's a waste of resources. There's too much of a reliance on vintage style packaging and now they're falling back on vintage sculpts. I'd like to see the return of some modern box art and some new product.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree I don’t get why Hasbro is doing these. The Vintage Collection is fine. I do think this is a waste as well. If they were going to do this put out vintage style figures that never got a figure back in the day(Tarkin, a Sandtrooper for example).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm fine with this as I need another Chewie, Vader and who doesn't need more Stormtroopers. I think since it instantly sold out at Target, we will get more.

Reaction score
I agree I don’t get why Hasbro is doing these. The Vintage Collection is fine. I do think this is a waste as well. If they were going to do this put out vintage style figures that never got a figure back in the day(Tarkin, a Sandtrooper for example).
I guess that would take too much effort and creativity on their part. Why make something new when they can effortlessly copy the old ones and still make $? They did it with transformers, so why not SW.?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This would have made more sense as a sub-line for the 40th anniversary.

Reaction score
I always regretted selling my collection in 1984 and will gladly pick these up.

Reaction score
I totally understand the mixed emotions for this line. I’m a first generation Kenner Star Wars collector and have been collecting Star Wars toys since 1979. I still remember receiving my Kenner X-Wing Fighter, Death Star Playset, Darth Vader Tie-Fighter, Landspeeder and pile of figures on Christmas morning of ‘79. It forever changed (and moulded) my world! As an adult I do collect the vintage Kenner line purely for the nostalgia of it! Looking very forward to this Retro Vintage Collection line. There’s most definitely a place for this collection on my shelves!

P.S. In no way will this stop me from collecting the original vintage-packaged Kenner line! I take great pleasure in finding those vintage pieces to complete my collection!

P.S.S. The biggest problem with this line is the name. “Wait are you talking about the Original Vintage Collection, Modern Vintage Collection or Retro Vintage Collection?”

Last edited:
Reaction score
Collectors ask: “Please sirs, may we please have nicely articulated 3.75” figures, with backgrounders, droids, and aliens, on vintage style cardbacks and have them available in stores?”

Hasbro resounds: “Sure, here are some identical-to-vintage figures on pre-worn cardbacks for your enjoyment.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Preorders sold out...so far I’d say it’s a success.
To say that you’d need to know how many were available. The oldest trick in the book is to make the initial offering really low so it’ll sell out quickly and have people who don’t know any better saying that these must be a hot, successful thing because I can’t buy them immediately.

Reaction score
To say that you’d need to know how many were available. The oldest trick in the book is to make the initial offering really low so it’ll sell out quickly and have people who don’t know any better saying that these must be a hot, successful thing because I can’t buy them immediately.
i agree. Comic book store owner would do this all the time with “hot” issues and they the next week have a bunch of them the following week for double the price

i have all my vintage figures so these are a pass. I suspect they will sit after the initial sell though depending on the cost for each of them

Reaction score
Preorders sold out...so far I’d say it’s a success.
Since Han (ST), 6” Trashy Luke, and these retro figures all sold out, I’d actually use that as evidence of the continued popularity of Star Wars figures in general, contrary to the “Sky is falling” mentality of many SW sites these days. I do wish Hasbro would dive into TVC with some commitment and stop some of these side ventures however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I wish to publicly thank Hasbro for prematurely ending my interest in any future product they produce. My wife and wallet are eternally grateful. Pure utter garbage. Won’t take long for people to rip out the “vintage weapons” and try to pass them off as originals. The vintage weapons market may have just tanked. Thankfully, I have all the loose vintage figures I’m ever going to buy. Just a sad day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wish to publicly thank Hasbro for prematurely ending my interest in any future product they produce. My wife and wallet are eternally grateful. Pure utter garbage. Won’t take long for people to rip out the “vintage weapons” and try to pass them off as originals. The vintage weapons market may have just tanked. Thankfully, I have all the loose vintage figures I’m ever going to buy. Just a sad day.
this seems a little over dramatic, reproduction vintage weapons have been around in large numbers since the early 90’s.

Reaction score
This line is a wonderful surprise. I am looking forward to these more so than anything else that is coming out this year. Getting these figures will be like getting a small part of my childhood back. I've hoped Hasbro would do this for years, I really hope they will redo the entire line and even pick up where Kenner left off with figures like a Sandtrooper or Rebel Fleet Trooper.

It won't tank the vintage weapons market. Hasbro's Rocket Firing Fett had no impact on Imperial blasters, these blasters will probably be made the same and just as easy to tell it's not vintage. The real danger to the vintage weapons market are those ebay sellers making near perfect repros that float and even pass the light test as well. Worry about that.

Reaction score
I'm most interested to see how deep this line goes - if they start doing rare figures, I imagine many more will flock to the line, instead of paying the insane amounts vintage Kenner goes for on places like ebay. This will allow collectors and casual fans the opportunity to buy a slice of nostalgia for the price of a toy. I cant say I'll be chasing them all down, but I'll pick up at least one from the first wave to see what the quality is like.

Reaction score
this seems a little over dramatic, reproduction vintage weapons have been around in large numbers since the early 90’s.

Not to the level of detail that a multi billion dollar company can reproduce them. You don’t follow vintage much do ya? Further, someone can claim they are authentic Kenner...and they would be correct. Ebay couldn’t refund a buyer based on fake reproductions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not to the level of detail that a multi billion dollar company can reproduce them. You don’t follow vintage much do ya? Further, someone can claim they are authentic Kenner...and they would be correct. Ebay couldn’t refund a buyer based on fake reproductions.
Yet ebay will side with a buyer who either breaks an item or swaps it w/ an identical but broken item and claims seller sold it broken. And ebay in conjunction w/ p.p freezes activity on seller's pp until seller reluctantly agrees to issue refund and is not compensated for any and all shipping costs...total extortion ring they got going.

Reaction score
A little over dramatic, but I totally hear what you are saying. It is a sad day for vintage collectors...

Reaction score
A little over dramatic, but I totally hear what you are saying. It is a sad day for vintage collectors...
Lol! Not over dramatic. Just a HUGE bit of sarcastic tongue in cheek fun. My real feelings though, vintage collectors will shun it. On the bright side though, might be your only chance in history to get an “authentic” vintage carded vintage blue snaggletooth complete with photocopied tattered ends and creasing!!! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm, I don’t follow vintage much? I played with all of these figures as a kid when they first came out back in the 70’s/80’s. Then I started recollecting them way back in 1990 and continue to collect vintage to this day. I do understand your point, but I don’t think the whole line should be cancelled because some jerks on eBay might try to scam some people.

It seems most likely (I would hope) that Hasbro will have some kind of mark on the weapons and vinyl capes identifying them as reproduction. Hasbro made reproduction 40th anniversary 12” Gi Joes a few years back. All of those pieces were marked as reproduction.

Reaction score
My initial reaction was like this is kind of cool but not for me and now after several hours after the reveal I find it very underwhelming.

Reaction score
My initial reaction was like this is kind of cool but not for me and now after several hours after the reveal I find it very underwhelming.
I have the same feeling. This is not for me but I first thought this is kinda nice for those who don't want to go with the hassle of finding the real vintage Kenner figures, you have an instant first 12 MOC collection I guess... but my main feeling about it is how boring and underwhelming that vintage/retro/kenner inspired thing is now! Hasbro did it with TVC 1 and 2, already did the first 12 cardbacks on 6", and here it goes again :rolleyes:

They could at least go with some other retro designs, POTF1 or Trilogo cardbacks, foreign variations idk... a bit of novelty... but seeing the same designs used over and over again is killing excitement for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm, I don’t follow vintage much? I played with all of these figures as a kid when they first came out back in the 70’s/80’s. Then I started recollecting them way back in 1990 and continue to collect vintage to this day. I do understand your point, but I don’t think the whole line should be cancelled because some jerks on eBay might try to scam some people.

It seems most likely (I would hope) that Hasbro will have some kind of mark on the weapons and vinyl capes identifying them as reproduction. Hasbro made reproduction 40th anniversary 12” Gi Joes a few years back. All of those pieces were marked as reproduction.
Agreed! I’m an Original Vintage SW Kenner collector and the thought of getting a BRAND NEW vintage style Star Wars figure is literally making my mouth water! That nostalgic feeling has no monetary relevance to me and what’s important is that there are MANY young / new Star Wars collectors who also love the original SW Kenner line and cannot easily access these figures. Yes it’s a cash crab on Hasbro’s side but they’re clearly paying attention because “vintage” everything is in right now. Vinyl Records are in full swing / Blu-Rays with VHS packaging are being released / Retro-Style Action Figures (ReAction & Gentle Giant Jumbo) / Gaming consoles (Classic NES, Atari & Sega) are here with a vengeance! What’s Old Is New Again. Hasbro will make money but at least it gives collectors the opportunity to own a vintage STYLE figure without paying $1,000.00 smackers for it! That’s another thing, many of the authentic vintage figures sold now are considered over-priced and if you’re selling it, YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY! Fake weapons and capes have existed for centuries and it’s definitely “buyer beware” times. I bought a fake vinyl-caped Jawa 11 years ago for $500.00 and it did not stop me from collecting. It taught me that I have to do my research when collecting authentic vintage SW figures! There are several resources that can help a buyer do this. Everyone’s got their feelings & opinions and I agree that it’s a passionate topic as it freaking STAR WARS! My mouth is still watering!

P.S. I finally got my authentic vinyl caped Jawa two years ago and he is magnificent!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm totally on board with this; I just hope I can find them! I wouldn't be surprised if the legs are marked (c) Disney pretty prominently to make it clear they are repros.

Reaction score
These would have been perfect for the 40 years of SW action figures anniversary, i can't wait for the jawas from this new line .
I don't think anybody has to be affraid of the effect these will have on the price of vintage pieces . The classic edition 4 pack and rocket firing Fett have been available for over two decades and have had no influence on the price of the original figures . Judging by the amount of watch out threads in the vintage section the amount of scamming these have caused is neglectible .
Take an objective look at reproductions, they have been plentyfull and easy to get for a long time and still prices for original vintage weapons are rising, i can not think of one example of an original accesoire that has become cheaper thanks to the availability of reproductions but i can only imagine how insane prices would be today if repros had not been available .

Reaction score
This line is the best toy collecting news I've heard in years. The only people it hurts are those who paid top dollar for loose vintage figures two days ago or those trying to sell them for a fortune.

I for one simply want these figures in my own personal display cabinet and think the vintage repacks should never have ended in 1985. They're back, and now I can have minty OT Kenner without having to stress about cost. Wahoo!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I knew this day was coming. I remember asking if these types of figures would ever be made at a Hasbro panel way back at one of the SW Celebrations. The response I basically got was; "We'd NEVER do something like that!" IIRC, I mentioned the He-Man repro series and was told they'd never go that route and here we are. They look alright, but I don't know what I'm doing this year in terms of collecting. After my sail barge gets here I may not even start tracking down figures for it.