new Obi-Wan (Jedi training) figure not too bad.....your thoughts?

Reaction score
I don't own it either. It looks decent enough. I'd buy it if I had extra cash. I'd rather have some other figs before him though.

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these with the intention of trading one but I broke down and tore it out of the package. He's pretty cool.

Reaction score
I like him, too (I passed on Sno-bi wan), but as I said in the other thread, he almost looks like he's batting, not battling.

Reaction score
You're missing out, Snowbi-Wan rules

Mine's hanging on my E1 shelf by a vintage accessory rope I tied around him, pretty nifty stuff

Reaction score
Snobi-Wan looked like an all-right figure, but knowing that the Training figure was coming, I thought it would make a better companion piece to the Qui-gon and Maul (I only bought the Maul to display next to the Action Fleet Alpha Sith Infiltrator).

I too would like to see a training Remote. I was dissappointed it didn't come with the POTJ old Obi-Wan.

Reaction score
I had no intention of buying the new Obi-Wan (Jedi training) figure until I held it in my hands. After buying it & opening it, I have to say that the figure is pretty cool. Don't get me wrong, I don't intend on buying any other gimmick figures (like motocross Qui-Gon, chippendale Maul, etc.). But the new Obi-Wan figure definitely has its appeal (IMO). I like the fact that he can hold his lightsaber with both hands. I also like the sculpt (except for the ponytail) & the blue color of his outfit. My only gripe would be the fact that he came with a cheesy looking helmet instead of a combat remote. Is Hasbro ever going to give us a training combat remote? It's bad enough blast shield Luke didn't come with one. Anyway, all in all, the figure is definitely worth it. If only Obi-Wan wore blue in the movie (like the figure)......what are your thoughts?

Reaction score
I might buy one to rip apart and make a Luke Jedi that isn't straddling a cow...love those super model length legs on that Luke Jedi!!

Reaction score
i don't own him yet, but was looking at him in a comic/scalper shop one day, and he looks neat to me... I'm ok with no training remote, just pop the end of a push pin off sometime, paint it silver if it isn't already and you have a training remote *shrug*

maybe they'll make a good one sometime

Reaction score
Not bad. I don't dig the stiff-arm though. One more point of articulation would have worked for me. At least I found the damn thing.

Reaction score
I like the new Obiwan as well. He is a little hunchbacked, but other than that, he looks great next to the Qui Gon and Maul. I do prefer Snow Obi Wan better though. That is one of the neatest figures released. Even his boots are amazing!

G

I thought the Snowbi-Wan was a strange choice given the other EU figs they've released recently.

Personally, I don't think too much of the Training Obiwan; the outfit's kind of dull IMO. I do think he'd make a nice fig for customizers, tho'.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got two of the training Obi Wan's already and have popped the heads off both of them. Looks to be a good figure for customizing, but I haven't found a use for it yet.

As for the Snobiwan, I have about 9-10 of them and they fill out my Echo Base diorama very nicely. Kind of adds a little variety to the Rebel force in my opinion.

Reaction score
JT Obi-Wan is a fabulous companion piece to Jedi Armor Qui-Gon! I love the color-coordination! Very master/padawan.

As for SnObi-Wan, I think it's the best sculpt Hasbro's pulled from their sphincter ever! It's not from the films, it's not from concept art, it's from some sight-unseen comic book art (possibly only sketches). Yet it looks like it belongs in the Saga, certainly much better than previous attempts at EU figures. I give it two thumbs in!

G

I like the JT Obi-wan too. I believe Snowbi-wan may have been taken from the new Jedi Quest comic, where Obi-wan does wear some cold weather gear.

Reaction score
I like all the POTJ concept figures....very well detailed.

I'm not too into customizing...but I thought you might be able to customize a senator out of them or something like that.

Reaction score
You know, if it weren't for those stories about an unreleased comic book where Obi Wan gets cold, I'd swear that body was originally designed to be a new Hoth Han Solo. I've customized one using Snowbi's body and Cantina Han's head, and I thought it looked decent. However, I watched ESB again recently, and it is really close. The gloves are identical, and the pants are really close too, as far as I can tell. It also almost seems like Han's boots have cleats on them too.

But I love the JT figs--except the Maul. I'll keep passing on him. The Qui and Obi rule, and the bodies are great for customs. My favorite is using the JPIII Military General head, the JT Qui body, and the EW Vader cape to make Exar Kun. Wicked awesome, I tell 'ya!

G

I found one today at Wal-Mart and I must say hasbro has done an excellent job on him.

Reaction score
I'll pitch in a positive response to the figure, as well. Like MisterPL said, the figure looks great with Qui-Gon. Actually, I have the two of them posed with Darth Maul on my shelf in a Training Trio, and it's a surprisingly good-looking set.

Unfortunately, it looks like he's well on his way to pegwarmer status in my area. Whenever there's evidence that this wave has seen the pegs in a given store, it's only Obi-Wan who's been left hanging.

Reaction score
JT Obi is a major peg-warmer here in Sacramento, CA & that's exactly where I left it: on the peg.

I know Hasbro can do better - after all, they gave Snowby-Wan tons more detail, colour & better, more interesting (like EU should be) accessories.

JT Obi's retarded helmet & a boring solid-colour outfit just don't cut it for me.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: catnapper ]

Reaction score
I just snagged him last night, and he's the first opened one I got to see... (And of course none of the rest were there)

He's awesome... The blue armor on black bodysuit look neat, the armor's sculpted well to look as though it all connects and is over the suit... The battle scarring on it is nifty too... Same goes for the helmet, very neat jedi training gear...

His sabre could've had a detailed painted handle, so he's getting an extra sabre transplant from my weapons bins

The head is the best likeness of Ewan MacGregor yet... Very accurate and the pony tails neat too (Though I prefer the real hair one from soft goods obi)

He's awesome mostly because they gave him the PROPER articulation in his left arm, something I never had noticed before, but adds tremendously to this figure... Great figure, nobody should complain about additions like this, he was actually DONE RIGHT

Even his force file was kinda neat, the rodian terrorists had some research done into them about their outfits, it's nice to see that they tried working that out with the movies...

Very neat, glad I got him and I'd buy more for customs if I ever saw any here

Reaction score
I don't have it, but it looks like it would be a great figure for customizers to make a "Dark" Kyle Katarn with.

Reaction score
I don't object to the figure's execution. It's a truly great figure, but it is a figure that LITERALLY NOBODY WANTED. Not even hardcore EU fans requested him. I'd have much rather seen that kind of detail and tooling, not to mention the space in the case assortment devoted to a new Jedi Luke or someone else in the actual movies -- or at least an EU figure folks are asking for, and there are dozens.

Reaction score
Well, you GO, MisterPL !

I would never have even imagined there could be a jumpsuited Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and if I had, I wouldn't have thought it possible that they'd be made. Then again, I'm not clairvoyant...

Reaction score
Actually, I envisioned them in McDonald's uniforms as Happy Meal premiums.

Seriously, as an illustrator and designer, I'm interested in the Concept Design EU much more than any of the others. I'd love to see a McQuarrie Vader from those early pre-production sketches and paintings.

And when I see what the designers at Hasbro come up with (especially that Invasion Force mini-AAT thing), I wish they'd just stick to what was designed for the movies. I thought Chiang and McCaig's unused designs were better than anything I'd seen up until SnObi-Wan.

I prefer the concept stuff if only because it's more authentic than what I might imagine a character from a book might look like.

Reaction score
Not to reiterate my hatred of another new figure *Cough* RFT *Cough* but the new Obi Wan training has all the qualities the RFT lacks

A removeable helmet, good sculpt, good paint job, good accessories, and good articulation...

He is one of the best of the POTJ as I see it, concept, EU, or movie, whatever... I dig him

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PodRacer X:
...it is a figure that LITERALLY NOBODY WANTED.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hate being the exception to practically every rule (heavy sigh), but when I saw the Qui-Gon in Jedi Armor figure, I was hoping an Obi-Wan companion piece would follow. And it did.

I'm sorry, blame me if you want. I know we need a really great Return of the Jedi Luke or some super obscure alien characters from half a sentence in some NJO book, but I needed an Obi-Wan with my Qui-Gon the way I needed a Han Solo for my Chewie when I first started in 1978.

Wanna know another dirty little secret. Shhhhh...

I want a Qui-Gon in Cold Weather Gear now, too.

So go ahead, bring it on. I can take it.

Reaction score
Well said JJ. The RFT could use all of Obi-Wan's features. What a shame that Hasbro makes a half-hearted effort with certain figures (i.e. RFT, pack-in figures, etc.).

G

The thing I liked best about the Obi Wan and Qui Gon training outfits is that they make really good customs...both outfits seem a bit ornate for Jedi, so I turned the Qui Gon into a generic Sith Acolyte...doing the same with Obi Wan now...gives me some extra guys for Palpy/Sidious to command in a new diorama...

Reaction score
As much as I love the concept of the figure, it's a shame that it wasn't made circa 2012 because it would totally rock with more articulation!
I got one so long ago to customize but never found a good use and now it's too difficult to mix parts with.