New MEGO retro figures

Reaction score
Who has seen this end cap at their Target? They had Charlie’s Angels, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, Star Trek, some rock stars, etc...hanging, plus a Mirror Mirror box set with Kirk and Spock on the shelf. All figures are “Marty Abrams”endorsed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I liked seeing Peg from Married... With Children but where is the rest of the family? It says they also make Al and Kelly, but they apparently aren't shipping in this assortment...

Reaction score
This whole first wave just has one character per property and I imagine the plan is to do more (the others pictured) if these sell well. So while Alice might not be my first choice for The Brady Bunch line, if I want the family, I gotta start with Alice.

Reaction score
That's a weird approach. I feel like I'd have bought both Peg and Al instantly if they'd been there.

I also didn't dig the Jimi Hendrix, it didn't actually look like him! Cool idea for a retro figure, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking forward to the Star Trek aliens. The Mirror Mirror set has a nice backdrop, almost reminiscent of the bridge/transporter playset.

Reaction score
This whole first wave just has one character per property and I imagine the plan is to do more (the others pictured) if these sell well. So while Alice might not be my first choice for The Brady Bunch line, if I want the family, I gotta start with Alice.
I noticed that right away too, except they had both Chekov and Sulu from Trek, however both had different follow-up characters on package. And few what seemed standalones, Jimi, Action Jackson, Lugosi's Dracula, which my wife, an amid Universal Monsters fan, instantly bought when she saw it in person. It actually goes well with a former Mego like line that TRU had a few years back. She has the Bride of Frankenstein from that series. I had a few spare original Mego parts and I customized a generic Sons of Anarchy Biker character and put it on a custom card w/ bubble that featured several major characters. We met a few actors from the show at various conventions and got their signatures on it. I kinda wanted to do a 2nd figure, initially a Mayan and feature other important characters, but if these go to clearance, I could pick up a Peg Bundy and convert it into Jemma, LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, does anyone remember the soccer mom that got Tru to ban breaking bad figures? I wonder how long it'll take the likes of her to get target to ban these since Norm (Cheers) comes with a mug of beer and Jimi Hendrix speech bubble says, " 'xcuse me, while I kiss the sky" and some female characters include accessories that SJW types would deem negative stereotypes, incl I dream of jeannie's outfit. lol

Reaction score
These look pretty cool. And I heard in reviews they were well-constructed. I worry about this method of releasing only 1 or 2 characters per property at a time. These are not selling well at all at my local Targets. The pegs have been full since the late July release date. I expect them to go to clearance eventually and I worry the next waves will never be ordered by Target. Perhaps Marty can set up an online store to sell them if that happens. I bought Fonzie, Hendrix, and Norm and may get Action Jackson because I like the retro card. Anyone remember the Exclusive Premiere series sold at TRU in the 90s? I still have Jon and Ponch from that series. I recall they did Gilligans Island and Bond figures too. I'm not a fan of the new MEGO 14" scale figures, 12" seems like it would have been a better seller (or is that how big they were in the 70s?) Its a shame they didn't have Lynda Carter's likeness on the 14" Wonder Woman, the one they put out is kinda ugly. Lastly, I would have bought the Star Trek figures, except it looks like the Starfleet emblem is a sticker, which will likely fall off, so I passed on them. Can anyone confirm its a sticker?

Reaction score
^ it probably is a sticker (I didn't look too close at Sulu or Chekov) but the original Mego figs did have a sticker emblem...most did...superman, batman, capt. America, robin. Thor, as I recall was different, his was vinyl heat pressed onto the cloth..i believe. (i'll have to go look at my display and verify later)

Man these REALLY do bring back memories. My mom would even buy the discounted POTA astronaughts or LJN mego like police line-( Rookies or SWAT maybe) and custom make costumes of unproduced superheroes. I remember her making Dr. Doom for me among a few others I forget off hand now. She even made Human Torch once because we couldn't find him. Her version she sewn yellow and orange flames on the suit as well as a cloth covered head so his look would be uniform

I had lot of superheroes megos but our dog at the time liked to mistake them for her rawhide chew toys...0nly the Hulk she didn't touch at one time or another. He is the only one from my childhood that survived. But alss 12-16 years ago, I managed to re-collect most of them, a few I had to customize new outfits like Conan's, Supergirl's outfit and Isis' dress plus a whole slew of never made before characters...Flash, Daredevil, King Pin, Scorpion, Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Green Lantern, Two face.. just to name a few

Last edited:
Reaction score
Facts of Life! Tootie! Where is Jo? Nancy McKeon was my grade school crush.

Reaction score
Saw these the other day at Target. Brought back a lot of memories, I was big into MEGO back in the 70's, before Star Wars. I had a ton of them...Super Heroes, POTA, Star Trek, Action Jackson. I even had the first issue Batman and Robin with removable masks. Sadly not many survived. I still have my Spider Man though, in pretty good shape. My mom filled in the webbing on his head with a fine tipped permanent marker, since it wasn't painted. Anyway, it was cool to see these, but I just couldn't bite on any of them. Not sure why, just wasn't interested in any of the characters.

Reaction score
I was born in the early '70's, so do remember having some Mego Star Trek & Superhero figures back in the late '70's, notably Klingon, Uhura, Spider-man, Incredible Hulk, and Superman. Have no idea where they are now.

IIRC, Mego toys started fading out of popularity in the early '80's - probably because Star Wars, G.I. Joe: ARAH, and other similar toys (in a smaller scale) started getting much more prevalent. Plus, there weren't a lot of vehicles/playsets to go along with these larger Mego figures, so the play value was limited.

However, these have made a come-back since the 200X's. I regret not getting some of the Classic ST figures when they were out with the retro packaging (that looked very similar to the original packaging from the 1970's).

That being said, for some reason I wasn't too interested in these latest offerings - not a big fan of the TV show figures.

Though - the ST figures were not bad - especially the Mirror, Mirror two-pack. However, I just can't get interested enough to buy these. If there were more aliens in the line, I would definitely get a Romulan, Gorn, Salt-Vampire, etc. - however, I would be surprised if the line lasted that long....I just can't see these figures continuing beyond this initial wave.

Last edited:
Reaction score
last month I was at Target and I saw some weird new MEGO figures. One of them was a bad looking Peg from Married with Children, Her accessory was a box of chocolates or whatever her snack was in the show,

Reaction score
But alas 12-16 years ago, I managed to re-collect most of them, a few I had to customize new outfits like Conan's, Supergirl's outfit and Isis' dress plus a whole slew of never made before characters...Flash, Daredevil, King Pin, Scorpion, Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Green Lantern, Two face.. just to name a few

here's my custom megos...old school outfits, except punisher, more late 90's -ish, who's hiding in the back.
Should have parts for Ghost Rider, been holding off making him for some reason

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was excited to see the Norm figure with Cliff Clavin pictured on the back. I need another John Ratzenberger figure. The pegs aren't as full as they were when my local Target first put these out so they seem to be selling, albeit slowly. Let's hope the line is strong enough to continue. I rarely buy figures unless I know I can get a complete set of the characters I want. The chances that the line would continue long enough to complete the Brady Bunch or Star Trek crew seem pretty slim.

Reaction score
Though I know I said I wasn't planning on doing this, I decided to give in to nostalgia & finally picked up the new Mego Classic Trek Chekov & "Mirror Mirror" Kirk/Spock two-pack. Great toys! These were never done in the original '70's line (well, Kirk & Spock were - but not in these outfits) - but the packaging & look of the figures are similar to what they would have looked like if they came out back in the day. Very cool that they're going back & "filling in the holes" re: these figures.

I can't find Sulu, but it may be sold out @ my particular Target. Though, I can always get it online.

Re: these new Mego ST figures, it's worth noting that in addition to the possibly forthcoming Gorn & Romulan Commander (as teased on the Sulu card front), on the Chekov card front a Captain Kirk & Mr. Spock are teased - in their regular outfits from the show. So, hopefully we'll be getting at least these 4 new ST Classic figures down the road.

Reaction score
Looking forward to the Gorn to pair with Kirk. Just a bit bummed we didn't get the female Romulan Commander to pair with Spock. :D Oh well, but that's OK....Mark Lenard gave a solid performance in "Balance Of Terror", one of my high-ranking favorite episodes in my book.

Reaction score
These finally hit my local Target. They're all a lot better looking in person. Picked up Sulu, Chekov and Dracula.

Reaction score
While it is nice to see MEGO dolls of a few characters from tv shows like George Wendt aka Norm of Cheers and Peggy from Married With Children, the thing is that the MEGO thing was before my time. I was born in 1980 anyway.

So why bother wasting money on buying these newer versions of MEGO dolls based on late 1980s early 1990s tv shows anyway? For older fans who were old enough when MEGO was around in the 1970s?

Reaction score
While it is nice to see MEGO dolls of a few characters from tv shows like George Wendt aka Norm of Cheers and Peggy from Married With Children, the thing is that the MEGO thing was before my time. I was born in 1980 anyway.

So why bother wasting money on buying these newer versions of MEGO dolls based on late 1980s early 1990s tv shows anyway? For older fans who were old enough when MEGO was around in the 1970s?
I was born in 1981 and I like Mego's. ;)

That said I've never been in to them quite enough that I was willing to pay what they go for. I did pick up a nice vintage Spock a few months back for a reasonable price, and have an incomplete, somewhat rough, Gorilla Soldier from POTA that I got on the cheap. So if they did more for $12.99 a pop I'd probably bite. The quality is pretty nice, I think they're a decent value for the money.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this line? Is it just they're doing this run of Mego's just... cause, and for the holiday season? Or are they planning on doing more? My first instinct is they're doing these first ones which are mostly not the hard hitters of any particular property, as Limited Editions to gauge interest, then if the line is a success (or maybe 'not a flop' would be a better term) they'll do broader releases of main characters. Sort of like: put the potential peg warmers out first, blow through 'em, then don't release them again- move on to what they know will sell through to build a collector base.

Reaction score
For older fans who were old enough when MEGO was around in the 1970s?
I'm one of them. :D I recall getting the Star Trek Transporter playset as a birthday gift at TRU, the same TRU I would work at about 25 years later. As for figures to include with the set, the store only had aliens left (all the Enterprise crew sold out). :(

I also collected Adventure People at the time, my initial exposure to 3.75" figures before I heard of this up and coming young filmmaker named George. B)

Reaction score
yeah well, just what the heck are you supposed to do with a Norm doll and a Married with Children Peggy doll?

Reaction score
Looking forward to the forthcoming Mr. Spock & Gorn in these re-releases of the original Mego figures; I never had these back in the day, so it will be nice to get them - hopefully they won't be HTF.

I also hope this line does extremely well, and they continue to produce the Mego ST figures into next year, and beyond. I'd like to see all of the figures that were made in the original line re-released, as well as never before released characters - including those figures that were made in the 200X's for the first time, i.e. Captain Pike, the Salt Vampire, etc.

Currently, at my local Target the ST single-carded figures are sold out (Sulu & Chekov), which is a good sign. However, the 2-pack "Mirror Mirror" figures seem to be moving more slowly - obviously it's because they're @ a higher price.

yeah well, just what the heck are you supposed to do with a Norm doll and a Married with Children Peggy doll?
Agreed. Not sure who the "audience" is for Cheers, Married with Children, and Facts of Life figures. For example, I am a big fan of the "Cheers" TV series (very iconic & funny show), but have 0 interest in any merchandise from this series or any other sitcoms - i.e., I think I can live without a "Cliff Claven" or "Norm" figure in my collection - LOL. That being said, I guess this is along the lines of the Mego figures they had in the late '70's/early '80's based on popular TV shows....I do remember some Starsky & Hutch figures at the time - which, even as a kid, I had a similar disinterest in - ha ha

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm quite certain it would never happen because these fall under the umbrella title of 'action figure toys'; but I'd love to see a Star Wars OT line. It'd be fitting seeing as they passed on the license all those years ago. And I bet they'd be a success with collectors if done "retro" enough.

Reaction score
this past week saw greg brady, mr spock (single card), and a 2nd "charmed" character, so a 2nd wave must've been released. My wife is big fan of some of these old tv shows and was considering Facts of life line but once saw Tootie in store she thought it looked terrible and nothing like the character so she only settled on Dracula, but she is anxiously waiting for the gorn and any other universal studio monsters

Last edited:
Reaction score
customizing, that's an idea...or here's another great idea...be a unique collector (or is it "an" unique...that doesn't sound right to say.. ehh, there's always some grammar exceptions.)...but you get the point

Reaction score
Just received this email from MEGO:

Stay Tuned! Wave 2 Coming Soon!
Good Afternoon Mego Ambassadors,

As many of you have been waiting in anticipation for the official launch of Wave 2 and what new figures will be available, we want to ensure you that the wait is almost over! Excitement is building and Target store shelves across the US will soon be lined with a second wave of fan favorites. If you all get a chance, get out and make some noise!

Thank you all,

Reaction score
saw more wave2 today --star trek gorn (my wife snagged that one), phoebe (charmed), Kris/Cheryl ladd (charlies angels), paul Stanley (KISS) Ritchie (Happy days) Samantha (bewitched or if she's wave 1--restock).. may be 1 or 2 more I cant recall but those are in addition to the few new ones I saw last week listed in a previous post

Reaction score
saw more wave2 today --star trek gorn (my wife snagged that one), phoebe (charmed), Kris/Cheryl ladd (charlies angels), paul Stanley (KISS) Ritchie (Happy days) Samantha (bewitched or if she's wave 1--restock).. may be 1 or 2 more I cant recall but those are in addition to the few new ones I saw last week listed in a previous post
I had no idea they were doing KISS figures! How much are these and where are you located?

Reaction score
I guess I hadn't been to a Target in awhile. I saw these for the first time this week. I like the Mirror Mirror set but the rest seems... odd. Facts Of Life figures? Did anyone ask for those?

Reaction score
I had no idea they were doing KISS figures! How much are these and where are you located?
were 14.99 then dropped to 12.99 just before wv2 hit. The KISS one are the Love Gun/ALIVE2 outfits. Looks like molded hair rather than rooted hair like the females or the Figure INCs KISS 12" and 8" figures. The Paul they has, his eyes were odd and the star was not placed well. I still have the original 12" Mego KISS figures from...Wow 40 years ago! but never got any of the Figures INC sets, just too expensive, but I oddly wouldn't mind the Dynasty versions, I know those were corny but maybe it's subconscious desire because 1) last tour w/ Peter Criss in '79 and 2) I begged my parents to take me when KISS hit Philly that tour and got a HUGE HELL NO!! little did I know at the time that was to be Peter's last tour w/ the band until '96, and sill to this day, I can't get over being denied seeing my long time faves almost 40 years ago. But I did get to see them in '87 in Philly to celebrate completing my 1st semester in college and seen then almost every tour since the reunion in '96 since living near Cincy.

Reaction score
Never mind that. Who asked for Cheers Mego?

I guess I hadn't been to a Target in awhile. I saw these for the first time this week. I like the Mirror Mirror set but the rest seems... odd. Facts Of Life figures? Did anyone ask for those?

Reaction score
Picked up Spock through target's website. Cost a few bucks more, but I figured, whatever, no waiting/hassle, and Spock when he does hit will probably sell through a lot faster than Sulu and Chekov. So naturally he showed up and the sewing on the hem of his shirt was all farg'ed up. My store didn't have any in stock, so I ordered another and once that one arrived in good order I returned the one with the bad stitching. So much for saving hassle. Fast shipping though.

Interestingly my Target did have the new DC 14" (Hey Mego, make them 8" and I'll buy 'em), and the end cap display was gone, they were relegated to a very narrow section of pegs mid-aisle. Last time I was there they had a metric ton of these, so they must have blown through quite a few of them. So... somebody out there wants Cheers Mego's, lol.

Reaction score
Re: Classic Trek, I got the Gorn & Sulu @ a Target I don't usually go to last week. I can attest that Sulu was harder to find than the other figures. Conversely, Chekov is one of the easiest to find (so far). Interestingly enough, they never made either of these characters in the original Mego '70's ST line.

The Mr. Spock (regular outfit on card) figure seems to be the toughest to find @ brick & mortar Targets right now - I haven't seen a trace of this figure @ the two Targets I've been to this past couple of weeks. No surprise, though - Spock is almost certainly the #1 most popular Star Trek character, and a very popular pop culture character in general, period. I just checked, and Spock appears to be sold out on the Target website as well. Go figure (pun intended).

I do hope they re-release the more difficult to find Mego figures at some point in the future, since I'm presuming the line will continue into next year (at least).

Not really into the DC 14" figures either - the scale is too big, and they won't fit with any other figures in my collection. I would be all for Mego 8" DC & Marvel figures, like the ones they came out in the '70's. However, apparently Mego doesn't have the license to make Marvel toys at all, and the only DC figures they can make is in the larger 14" scale - for some reason they're not allowed to make 8" DC figures anymore. Not sure about the logistics behind this, but apparently other toy companie(s) have the license to make DC figures up to & including the 12" scale, which is why Mego is making the DC figures 14" (instead of 12", which you would think is the standard scale for larger figures/dolls).

Too bad, because I would collect new Mego DC & Marvel 8" figures in a New York minute.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not seeing wave 2 figures at my Targets. They also moved the figures off the end cap and into the aisle. Looks like Dracula and Jimmy Hendrix from wave 1 are all gone.

Reaction score
Is there a list of all of the characters in each wave somewhere? I never knew Dracula and Jimi were in wave 1 since I've never seen them in stores.