New 'kenner style retro 3.75" Star Wars line coming...

Reaction score
I good with it. I'm interested in some more Mandalorian figures. Certainly Bo Katan, the armorer , Fett and full Beskar Mando. This is the way.

Seeing how the released some Droids in the vintage line, I would like to see the same 3 in Retro

Reaction score
If they can’t stock them it doesn’t matter how many characters there are.

I predict something like this. Hasbro releases waves of Disney and prequel content, it doesn’t sell because it has nothing to do with Kenner, and they shrug and stop making Retro.

Reaction score

I predict something like this. Hasbro releases waves of Disney and prequel content, it doesn’t sell because it has nothing to do with Kenner, and they shrug and stop making Retro.
by Disney, are you referring to the High Republic stuff? I'll save a ton of money if so.

Reaction score

My sentiments EXACTLY!

Reaction score
I don’t know what that is.

images

;) [wink!]

Reaction score

But The Mando wave sold incredibly well… everybody here is so needlessly grim lately.

Reaction score
I'm actually curious to know how well the Mando wave sold, as they haven't revealed any sales data. Since its been leaked that another Mando themed wave is coming, it must have done well enough to warrant another wave, but from what I'm seeing online, its still available at a number of locations, some even at a discount. I wonder how well it did compared to the very limited runs for ANH & ESB?

Reaction score
It’s a great question, and I assume the answer is “very well.” Hasbro keeps underproducing and underselling these Retros.

Reaction score
Considering they were a wide release… And are sold out everywhere… I’d say they sold fairly well.
But we don’t know what that means. How many did they actually make of each wave? My local big box stores usually never restock Star Wars. They seem to get a couple cases of TVC or Retro, they put them out, and then it’s empty pegs till the next new releases get a case. I got a set off Amazon for insurance but I have only ever seen them at 150% to 200% of MSRP at comic shops.

What does wide release even mean? Target AND Wal-Mart? Does any other store even stock Star Wars current 3.75” releases anymore?

Reaction score
Wave 2 had to be the least produced, as Walmart was the only place to ever have them. Target had wave 1 but it went fan channel after. Mando wave was everywhere Star Wars was sold, so saying they sold better is a moot point.

Reaction score
Yeah, basically any company, whether retail or online that wanted to carry the Mando wave had the opportunity. Likewise, I'm not sure why some think that wave is sold out - maybe at the big retailers like Target & WM - but if you type: "star wars mandalorian retro collection" in google and then click "shop now", its available at countless online shops, so its not even close to being sold out. This is why I'm a bit surprised another Mando themed wave is soon to follow, without all the sales data for the year. Again, it could be that they simply sold enough to warrant another assortment, without having all the information available before making the decision.

Reaction score
its available at countless online shops, so its not even close to being sold out. This is why I'm a bit surprised another Mando themed wave is soon to follow

Because Hasbro doesn't care* as much about how well it sells at Target, or Gamestop of BBTS...they've already sold out their stock to their primary customers, those very stores. To Hasbro this has probably been a huge hit, likely bringing in far more cash than the first 2 Retros lines combined. But Hasbro won't put facts and figures together to understand the whys and hows of it, they will just think Mando sells better than OT.

*Yes obviously they still have a vested interest in the line selling well at retail as well, but less so in terms of profits for this very assortment.

Reaction score
Because Hasbro doesn't care* as much about how well it sells at Target, or Gamestop of BBTS...they've already sold out their stock to their primary customers, those very stores. To Hasbro this has probably been a huge hit, likely bringing in far more cash than the first 2 Retros lines combined. But Hasbro won't put facts and figures together to understand the whys and hows of it, they will just think Mando sells better than OT.

*Yes obviously they still have a vested interest in the line selling well at retail as well, but less so in terms of profits for this very assortment.

I know how it works, but I think they do care what happens at retail, and whether online shops are left with unsold stock, because it means they might cut back on ordering in the future. This is what plagues TVC - when the assortment was revived, the first wave nearly crippled the line because of all the repacks, and stores didn't want to carry it in large numbers. So even now, when TVC is much better and the demand is up, they still stock them a case or two at a time. We could easily see the same happen with Retro, especially from online shops that might have to clearance out their remaining Mando wave figures...

Reaction score
We could easily see the same happen with Retro, especially from online shops that might have to clearance out their remaining Mando wave figures...

Toy collector catering e-tailers dropping prices will do little, they will still have to buy into future waves because they have nothing else to fall back on really. A Star Wars specific store has to diversify or just soldier on and continure to stock more SW stuff. And diversifying could be just as bad a plan as just buying more SW product that sells unevenly.

I'm not arguing here that this is all good, it's not. It sucks bad, but I don't see companies like Hasbro changing in collectors favor going forward. In fact they will likely do even dumber **** than we see now.

Reaction score
Wave 2 had to be the least produced, as Walmart was the only place to ever have them. Target had wave 1 but it went fan channel after. Mando wave was everywhere Star Wars was sold, so saying they sold better is a moot point.

I think there are some numbers to be gleaned from the fact that the first wave was a Target exclusive that went to Fan Channels afterward, while wave 2 was Wal Mart only.

Anecdotally, about 2 cases showed up at each Target before the Fathers day promotion was over and they were clearanced out. Target has 1,844 stores in the US, which gives us 3,688 cases (each of which was one figure per.) Lets just call it 4k.

But a 4k order didn't satisfy Hasbro's requirements for whatever the minimum run at the factory needed to be, so the Fan Channels got cases after Target's window closed. Can we speculate on a 8-10k minimum factory run?

Wal Mart's numbers seem to bear this out. There are 4,743 Wal Mart stores in the US, so 2 cases per store could easily cover a 8-10k run with no one needed to take on the rest.

With no numbers to back it up at all, though, I would say the Mandalorian wave ran higher than the 8-10k run of the previous waves, just due to being a wide release item.

Reaction score
I think there are some numbers to be gleaned from the fact that the first wave was a Target exclusive that went to Fan Channels afterward, while wave 2 was Wal Mart only.

Anecdotally, about 2 cases showed up at each Target before the Fathers day promotion was over and they were clearanced out. Target has 1,844 stores in the US, which gives us 3,688 cases (each of which was one figure per.) Lets just call it 4k.

But a 4k order didn't satisfy Hasbro's requirements for whatever the minimum run at the factory needed to be, so the Fan Channels got cases after Target's window closed. Can we speculate on a 8-10k minimum factory run?

Wal Mart's numbers seem to bear this out. There are 4,743 Wal Mart stores in the US, so 2 cases per store could easily cover a 8-10k run with no one needed to take on the rest.

With no numbers to back it up at all, though, I would say the Mandalorian wave ran higher than the 8-10k run of the previous waves, just due to being a wide release item.
The day they went on clearance...the girl at Target brought 6 cases out of the stock room. Bought a set for each of my groomsmen as it was the day before I got married. Also I had seen repeated restocks at my local Target and got sets for at least 6 people here. So they for sure got more than 2 cases per store at Target.

Reaction score
The day they went on clearance...the girl at Target brought 6 cases out of the stock room. Bought a set for each of my groomsmen as it was the day before I got married. Also I had seen repeated restocks at my local Target and got sets for at least 6 people here. So they for sure got more than 2 cases per store at Target.

Great story! That's actually a relief, because even a 10k minimum order seemed like it was waaaaaay too small even for an exclusive. As I said, I was spitballing the numbers based on anecdotes I was recalling two years later.

And nevertheless, the bones of my premise still remain. Target's size being less than half of Wal Mart's meant they needed help carrying whatever the order size needed to be, while Wal Mart could absorb the exact same run size with no help due to their much larger footprint.

Reaction score
They need to have actual department managers that keep an eye on what sells and manually order for their departments. Not just toys the whole system is broken.

Reaction score
They need to have actual department managers that keep an eye on what sells and manually order for their departments. Not just toys the whole system is broken.
Won't happen.. It's all based on data and sales demands. I learned this while chasing down disney pixar's cars toys for my son. I got in good with a few head managers from toys r us and target. It's not store but locations that determine what happens and if one store sells out, and the rest sell slower, it hurts orders. There's also some kind of budget allowance as well.. I only know a very basic water downed version so I probably messed it up.

Reaction score
Won't happen.. It's all based on data and sales demands. I learned this while chasing down disney pixar's cars toys for my son. I got in good with a few head managers from toys r us and target. It's not store but locations that determine what happens and if one store sells out, and the rest sell slower, it hurts orders. There's also some kind of budget allowance as well.. I only know a very basic water downed version so I probably messed it up.
Yup stores and baseball ruined by analytics

Reaction score
@Muftak et al Wave 2 was way more than 2 per store. I cruised around to a lot of Wal-Mary’s back then and some of them easily got a dozen Landos which means a dozen cases.

Reaction score
I want to know what horribly misleading sets of averages Hasbro has come up with about us.
I think we're giving everything too much credit. There is no conspiracy or research group to mess with collectors. Lol.

It's simple demographics determined by data that buy up stock from said suppliers and distribute to locations based on analytics. We all scratch our heads evey time there's a release. We see stores with nothing and stores that have more than enough to go around. The system sucks but I doubt it will ever change.

Reaction score
I think we're giving everything too much credit. There is no conspiracy or research group to mess with collectors. Lol.

It's simple demographics determined by data that buy up stock from said suppliers and distribute to locations based on analytics. We all scratch our heads evey time there's a release. We see stores with nothing and stores that have more than enough to go around. The system sucks but I doubt it will ever change.
It will eventually when somene has the good sense to give customers what they want consistently. Then they will lose their business. The only thing that affects change is profit loss.

Reaction score
If you think that Fett and the two characters from that ever popular cartoon The Snooze Fe...I mean...The Clone Wars won’t do well...

I love retro and probably wouldn’t have dropped out of SW figures for a few decades had they not stopped. “Hot Toys” and that just aren’t my thing. They don’t feel like toys to me.

Reaction score
If you think that Fett and the two characters from that ever popular cartoon The Snooze Fe...I mean...The Clone Wars won’t do well...
It’s Star Wars, it ALL does well. Films that are widely considered garbage make tons of money. The only way to lose money on Retro Series would be to put in the sock aisle. But no major retailer would EVER be THAT stupid.