New 'kenner style retro 3.75" Star Wars line coming...

Reaction score
I wonder how many people will buy these strictly for cheaper capes and blasters for their vintage figures?

Reaction score
I wonder how many people will buy these strictly for cheaper capes and blasters for their vintage figures?
That's a question worth examining; isn't it? Some will turn their noses up, I imagine, saying these modern monstrosities are tantamount to repro. Others will think since it's "technically" the same company and officially licensed; it isn't repro, just new and not vintage. But when you can get a "new official" Leia blaster for $10 instead of a "vintage official" Leia blaster for $80+; who's going to care? I'm not sure how I feel about it all just yet. But I expect to see some civil war about this; especially on social media...

Reaction score
no chance these will be mistaken for vintage original- the accessories will have their own special traits- Im not concerned in the least.
I think it will in fact turn newer/ younger collectors on to the vintage line with much less supply---vintage market is saturated with sellers lately; needing a good influx of buyers into market and I think this will do just that

Reaction score
I think when in hand it will be easy to identify these as re-releases. In some fuzzy photo in an ebay listing maybe not.

Reaction score
no chance these will be mistaken for vintage original- the accessories will have their own special traits- Im not concerned in the least.
I think it will in fact turn newer/ younger collectors on to the vintage line with much less supply---vintage market is saturated with sellers lately; needing a good influx of buyers into market and I think this will do just that
This is my thinking. I think for vintage SW to retain its value decades away, there will need to be an interest for the younger crowd.

Reaction score
Buying vintage Kenner figs on eBay is already a mine field. I avoid collecting them because the risk of getting scammed with reproduction accessories, cardbacks or bubbles is high.

This retro line will make it even worse. Thanks Hasbro.

Reaction score
I think the recent downturn in SW movie line sales has Hasbro returning to the collector well to reevaluate renewing the license next year. With the current child safety standards, even amateurs should be able to easily tell the difference between the "Retro" line and authentic. I really don't see this going past the first 12/21 since you can currently buy authentic loose vintage from ESB and ROTj for less than $10 in many cases. If anything, I think it might bring some new blood into vintage collecting. For good or for naught, we might see a spike in prices for authentic vintage as a result? Worst case scenario, this is a nice big red bow on the line from Hasbro if their license runs out next year!

Reaction score
I waited to comment until we saw images, and there is no mistaking the carded figures, especially with the intentionally worn cards (which is a graphic) and huge sticker. Overall, I think this will be a positive addition to the market, as it will allow casual collectors and fans to buy retro sculpts without paying the ebay prices. I'm sure many would rather pay $10 for a MOC figure over a loose beater. Sure, demand for actual vintage Kenner will likely drop, but I doubt the value will crash. Likewise, the sculpts aren't going to be exact - if you compare the Kenner Boba Fett to the Hasbro rocket-firing Fett (2010), they are clearly different.

Reaction score
Isn’t it ironic that some of the biggest anti-reproduction collectors are OK with these? So reproductions are bad unless they are done by Hasbro? Just saying...

Reaction score
I wonder how well the SW toys have been selling for Hasbro. I stopped buying modern after the Revenge of the Sith line. I always told myself if they re-issued the Kenner figures I'd be back in. The new stuff must not be doing too well.

Wt

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts. So, I know that Kenner did the same vintage figure release in the 90s and it didn't affect value of the original figures. They were conscious enough to make the weapons slightly larger so as not be confused with the original accessories as well. The weapons and accessories on these new Hasbro releases look very similar, though there hasn't been any up close images of the accessories released yet. I'm sure the coo's will be different and that doesn't bother me because that's an easy spot. However, what disturbs me more than the weapons/accessories is the possibility of head and limb swapping on vintage figures. The molds look the same as well as the paint scheme, even on the tiniest levels. That startles me a bit.

Basically with Hasbro signalling that they will not be renewing their SW licensing beyond 2020 it's pretty clear that they are doing this as a way to cash out of the business and slam the door on vintage collectors. I'll reserve my final decisions until they are officially released in May, but it's leaving a large vacuum for scammers to move in and take advantage of an already hostile and disrupted system.

Reaction score
I'm also curious about the plastics used in these new figures. If they will have a different weight or consistency? Won't be able to differentiate the weapons by weight, but the figures themselves I'm curious about.

Reaction score
With current choking hazard standards, you can bet the weapons will be rubbery and easy to spot.

Reaction score
I'm also curious about the plastics used in these new figures. If they will have a different weight or consistency? Won't be able to differentiate the weapons by weight, but the figures themselves I'm curious about.
If they're anything like the Rocket Firing Boba Fett from the TVC line. It should be very noticeable that the figures aren't vintage. That Fett feels totally different from a vintage figure, and it doesn't have that "Kenner smell" and the plastic seems to be far more rigid than with vintage figures. They should have the smaller modern peg hole in the feet, the weapons I assume will be just like with Boba and will have be made from that soft rubbery plastic. I don't remember now where I read it at, it may have been here on rebelscum. But I read that someone had tried to swap parts with the POTF2 Classic 4 pack figures, but the limbs and heads didn't fit on vintage bodies. If you go by Imperial Gunnery's website you can see how easy it is tell the Hasbro vintage Fett's blaster apart from a real vintage Imperial blaster. https://imperialgunnery.com/imperialblasters.htm

Reaction score
Uhm, hmmm. Well, I like them, I'll buy them. But I recognize and sympathize with the very real ways these could cause headaches with the vintage community. I honestly thought from the description it would be vintage style resculpts or never before made figures. Which may be to come still, I guess.

Reaction score
This is good to hear, and I am blown away by the amount of info on imperialgunnery!
If they're anything like the Rocket Firing Boba Fett from the TVC line. It should be very noticeable that the figures aren't vintage. That Fett feels totally different from a vintage figure, and it doesn't have that "Kenner smell" and the plastic seems to be far more rigid than with vintage figures. They should have the smaller modern peg hole in the feet, the weapons I assume will be just like with Boba and will have be made from that soft rubbery plastic. I don't remember now where I read it at, it may have been here on rebelscum. But I read that someone had tried to swap parts with the POTF2 Classic 4 pack figures, but the limbs and heads didn't fit on vintage bodies. If you go by Imperial Gunnery's website you can see how easy it is tell the Hasbro vintage Fett's blaster apart from a real vintage Imperial blaster. https://imperialgunnery.com/imperialblasters.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love it! Sorry to all the vintage scalpers, but this will allow the casual collector to have an "approximate" vintage Chewbacca on card. Hopefully it's a success, and we'll get to the bounty hunters, Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, etc. Even vehicles would be awesome, especially a re-issue of the vintage Dewback.

Reaction score
Secondary market prices are ridiculously out of hand right now. So if this retro line from Hasbro brings some of that back down to earth a bit, then I think that can only be a good thing.

Still not sure if I will buy any of these. Guess I'll just reserve final judgement until I see them in hand at the store.

Reaction score
I'm excited. They're toys, they should be available to those who want them. If you have sour grapes for paying more for something...sorry.

Reaction score

Didn't even think about the peg holes, but I'd bet you're right. I'm sure that they will be different. Can't match the "Kenner" smell either. TIG will be busy with updates for sure

Reaction score
Just to get a pulse of those who are for and those who are against this. How many people here have complete loose runs that are for it/against it? And how many are still trying to complete their runs and are for it/against it? I think it's easier to be for it if you are already satisfied with your collection's status, but if you have more to pick up to complete your loose run, then those collectors could be in more of a panic mode. I only wonder because many of the members here that are for it seem to be long time members and I'm curious if your loose run is complete or not?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd say I have a 90% complete loose collection. I still need to grab a few ewoks, rebel commando and the bespin security guys in the original run but I keep putting it off because those characters are boring to me. My focus has mainly been on MOC as of late, trying to complete a complete run of each figure carded. Still have a ways to go w/ this. I am 100% for the re-issues. The vintage toys are starting to look their age w/ some discoloration and yellow bubbles so seeing brand new figures will be great.

Wt

Reaction score
I don't think you can accurately refer to collectors like myself from the 70's & 80's as "scalpers". If they make those figures you want to keep carded, it will likely be at least 10-20 years away, and then you might feel differently about them re-issuing the ones you'll be able to purchase now. I'm happy for you and others that will get repros, though.
I love it! Sorry to all the vintage scalpers, but this will allow the casual collector to have an "approximate" vintage Chewbacca on card. Hopefully it's a success, and we'll get to the bounty hunters, Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, etc. Even vehicles would be awesome, especially a re-issue of the vintage Dewback.

Reaction score
More Stormtroopers is good for everyone one. Also, for display purposes, I need 2 troopers, 2 Chewbacca, a Vader, Han and Luke. I may get a Leia for my daughter and a set for fun. So, they got me at least 2 sets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have almost all of my originals loose (except for the ones my mom gave to my cousin's kids when I was away at college & the last 17), and recently started buying good conditioned complete ones because my originals are in a box so buried away, I don't want to dig them out. I know I managed to retain every weapon, too.
Just to get a pulse of those who are for and those who are against this. How many people here have complete loose runs that are for it/against it? And how many are still trying to complete their runs and are for it/against it? I think it's easier to be for it if you are already satisfied with your collection's status, but if you have more to pick up to complete your loose run, then those collectors could be in more of a panic mode. I only wonder because many of the members here that are for it seem to be long time members and I'm curious if your loose run is complete or not?

Reaction score
I'd say I have a 90% complete loose collection. I still need to grab a few ewoks, rebel commando and the bespin security guys in the original run but I keep putting it off because those characters are boring to me. My focus has mainly been on MOC as of late, trying to complete a complete run of each figure carded. Still have a ways to go w/ this. I am 100% for the re-issues. The vintage toys are starting to look their age w/ some discoloration and yellow bubbles so seeing brand new figures will be great.

Wt

That's an interesting perspective with the vintage figures starting to show their age aspect. It tells me that there are collectors out there, like yourself, who would appreciate the same vintage feel, but in a modern figure. My mindset has always been vintage and vintage only which is a tight rope to walk because I know that I have to be open minded to what other collectors are feeling when it comes to the vintage community as a whole. I think the purist mentality of vintage collecting can literally be the tempting dark side of the hobby. It tells you to feel one way and exclude everything and everyone else thoughts who don't align with that. Literally the dark side. So thank you, this helps me to understand what some other collectors are looking for in the future of action figures and this hobby in general. And helps keep me on the light side :)

Reaction score
I have almost all of my originals loose (except for the ones my mom gave to my cousin's kids when I was away at college & the last 17), and recently started buying good conditioned complete ones because my originals are in a box so buried away, I don't want to dig them out. I know I managed to retain every weapon, too.

So as someone who has been on RS for 10 years, what are you think about them? And with that question do you have a big desire to finish your loose run, and how far are you from completing it? I ask because, like stated above, I'm curious how many folks out there have completed or nearly completed their loose runs that are for or against the new figures. I see your motto at the bottom would suggest you want Hasbro to finish the Vintage Collection, so what do you think about them shifting their focus into the new retro line?

Reaction score
I have a complete collection minus the Last 17. All from my childhood, so I didn't have to fork out for the weapons to be fair about my situation. I have always been an original only weapons guy, but have cheated and gotten the Death Star panels and a Jawa ladder recently to display my items. I'm all for collectors buying what they wish, but I hope hasbro has some identification marks on the weapons so people will know what they are buying. And, in fairness, the thought of being able to have a Stormtrooper army without having to take out a home improvement loan is very tempting. I'm torn.

Reaction score
Looks like these figures are going to be a little bigger, just like the rocket-firing Boba Fett from a few years back.

Wt

Reaction score
I don’t like them, mainly because I already have the originals. I want something new.

Reaction score
I honestly do not see Hasbro putting any money into a bunch of new new sculpts for figures that were not released, even if digitally done. They will go the cheapest route possible to maximize profits and will probably only go so far with figures they release. They are releasing a Tarkin with a re-release of the Death Star game, however!

As far as I am concerned they dropped the ball with this. This really should have been a 40th anniversary release. They may have tried but had technical issues, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The report on the home page says they will be a little bigger, like the size of the rocket firing Boba Fett that came out back in 2010 or so.

Wt

Last edited:
Reaction score
So these are slightly bigger than the vintage figures, so you can't really display them with vintage figures because they'll stand out like dogs *****.

You can't really display them MOC because they have a huge ugly red sticker on them .... So what's the point ?

At least these won't effect the value of the vintage line.

Of course, I'll change my mind if they give us more new characters like Tarkan. ( Wegde, Mothma, Han stormie etc )

Reaction score
Do we think these will be limited release ? Target exclusive?
Or widely available ?

Reaction score
Just saw the news about Tarkin and the picture of Tarkin. Looks like he'll look perfect along side the old Death Squad Commander. I'm going to finally have an excuse to get the old Death Star playset now. Can't have a Kenner Tarkin with out it.

Reaction score
If they can replicate these molds, I want a reissue of the original Mini Rigs!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic with several concerns. I have the unfortunate fault of wanting to be a completist, but finishing my loose collection isn't that big of a concern currently. I'm not far from all of them, but the ones I don't have aren't exactly my favorites. I see that Hasbro made a couple more steps in completing the 92 with the announcements today.
So as someone who has been on RS for 10 years, what are you think about them? And with that question do you have a big desire to finish your loose run, and how far are you from completing it? I ask because, like stated above, I'm curious how many folks out there have completed or nearly completed their loose runs that are for or against the new figures. I see your motto at the bottom would suggest you want Hasbro to finish the Vintage Collection, so what do you think about them shifting their focus into the new retro line?

Reaction score
Super cool! I sold most of my vintage figures years ago but I might rebuy some of them to display with Tarkin!