New 'kenner style retro 3.75" Star Wars line coming...

Reaction score
yeah i'm way more interested in unproduced characters, including the ST, than just reissues of the Rancor Keeper or whatever

i'm pretty surprised they never did vintage-style figures of the PT/ST stuff. i guess there's TVC but it doesn't have the same retro campiness

Reaction score
Amen to that. If they did have to do a low cost item to link a new figure to I would love the old retro cases. The ones you could flip the trays over and display your figures with. Those were my favorite. Also they should include a never before done figure in each set to keep interest alive.
Hah. Great minds... I just posted this in another thread. I would go CRAZY if they did this again. I would probably by a bunch as I love them for storing figures. The graphics were so cool. And unlike the Vader or Threepio cases — the figures and weapons were well secured, do there wasn’t a mess each and every time you opened up the case.

I am genuinely thrilled with this line. And hope it continues.

That said, the rumour list for wave 2 is. . . Underwhelming. Aside from Artoo and Threepio. (Yay, yay, yay!). I mean, I already have the Boba Fett from a few years back. If they tossed another Leia (Bespin, Hoth) into the mix it would be cooler.

But Jawa and Sandpeople and Ben are much more exciting to me than ESB Hans or Lukes....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hah. Great minds... I just posted this in another thread. I would go CRAZY if they did this again. I would probably by a bunch as I love them for storing figures. The graphics were so cool. And unlike the Vader or Threepio cases — the figures and weapons were well secured, do there wasn’t a mess each and every time you opened up the case.

That said, the rumour list for wave 2 is. . . Underwhelming. Aside from Artoo and Threepio. (Yay, yay, yay!). I mean, I already have the Boba Fett from a few years back. If they tossed another Leia (Bespin, Hoth) into the mix it would be cooler.

But Jawa and Sandpeople and Ben are much more exciting to me than ESB Hans or Lukes....
i agree with many of your points here, would really love to see the original 12 completed and then at least add one other vintage figure that was never made!!

Reaction score
Any news on when the Retro line will be making their way to retail stores?
Wt

Reaction score
I'd definitely like it if Hasbro continued with previously unproduced figures.
At least one per wave, if the line continues.
(Getting Tarkin in retro style was a four decades long wish fulfilled.)

And yeah... some retro style collector cases would be awesome. Stormtrooper and Boba Fett, specifically. :)

Reaction score
Unproduced figs I’d REALLY like to see.

STAR WARS
Sandtrooper
Garindan (Imperial Snitch)
Cantina Band Member
Han Solo (Stormtrooper)
Leia (Ceremonial)

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Leia (Bespin Escape)
Darth Vader (removable helmet)
Mynock

RETURN OF THE JEDI
Leia (Jabba’s Prisoner)
R2-D2 (Jabba’s Bartender)

THE FORCE AWAKENS
General Leia (Purple Vest Battle Fatigues)
Han Solo (Main outfit)
Luke Skywalker (Outcast)

The Last Jedi
General Leia (Blue Robes)
Luke Skywalker (Crait Duel)

After the OT characters are done, I’d be down for Rey, BB-8, Kylo, Finn, and Poe figures, too. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score

I’m actually hoping they make the ESB figures, it would most likely mean the line will have legs and they will be making a march across the whole Vintage line.

Reaction score
I am down with whatever figures they make. I just think the ESB list could be more slightly exciting. To me, Bespin Han or a Bespin Leia are sorely missed from the list...

Luke (Bespin Fatigues) Yoda, Lando, are all solid choices to be sure. Bossk makes sense, too. As does Boba (although I may skip him as the rocket firing vintage sculpt they did as a mailaway a while back still holds up quite nicely.)

Truth. I really foresee me picking up ANY figures they do in this line. I am HOOKED!!!

I really hope it continues and feel confident it will.

Reaction score
Any news on when the Retro line will be making their way to retail stores?
Wt
I think the wide release has come and gone. Hasbro said from the start these would be available exclusively at Target and would have a wider release in fall ( September ) on fan sites. They have all sold out on fan sites even though they were at a slightly higher price.

It was interesting seeing the Hasbro panel Q&A at SDCC. They admitted they were caught by surprise by the demand for this line. They also confirmed the line will continue. Although Hasbro hasn't announced any future releases I wouldn't be surprised if they re release wave 1 later in the year when the movie, Dinsney+ are released. Wave 2 will most likely be out early next year. Just my two cents, could easily be wrong :D

Reaction score
One of the Hasbro reps at SDCC said they were coming back to retail in the Fall, so maybe they'll be on pegs for FF. I suppose once the planograms are leaked, we'll know whats showing up. Another rep said they were going to online fan channels - so a bit of a contradiction amongst their employees. These statements were of course referring only to wave 1, they didn't comment on future waves, though they clearly indicated previously that if the first round did well, we'd likely see more. I think wave 2 wont be out until next year, because they've got more lines going for FF than they can manage...

Reaction score
FF is coming up in October. I won't pretend to know when in October. I do hope they announce something cool.

Part of me really wants to see an early bird cert.

Reaction score
FF is coming up in October. I won't pretend to know when in October. I do hope they announce something cool.

Part of me really wants to see an early bird cert.
Are you talking about Force Friday on October 4th ?
They have already announced the releases and there is no Retro Collection. There are new figures for Vintage Collection and a couple of others that I'm not too interested in.

Reaction score
One of the Hasbro reps at SDCC said they were coming back to retail in the Fall, so maybe they'll be on pegs for FF. I suppose once the planograms are leaked, we'll know whats showing up. Another rep said they were going to online fan channels - so a bit of a contradiction amongst their employees. These statements were of course referring only to wave 1, they didn't comment on future waves, though they clearly indicated previously that if the first round did well, we'd likely see more. I think wave 2 wont be out until next year, because they've got more lines going for FF than they can manage...
^^^ we must have seen the same vlogs :D
As you mentioned the 2 reps ( if memory serves me correctly they were from sales and design ?) didn't give away any info on the retro collection other than its been successful, however on the panel Q&A they did 100% confirm the line will continue.

In regards to wave 1, unless Hasbro decide to make more to meet demand I think its done and dusted. They've sold out from Target and fan sites. Unfortunately and very frustratingly Hasbro has shown zero interest in meeting demand for its customers. The Barge is a perfect example of that. There are numerous rants on YouTube aimed at Hasbro's waaay too hard to find products ( check out Usualmike, Retroblasting and junkman who eloquently called his video 'F&%K HASBRO' :D)
Basically you have to treat every Hasbro release as if its a limited release. If you want something you need to hit up stores and online on the day of release. Its a ridiculous situation but Hasbro seems to be following the same model as Nike, addidas and Apple of building hype by making everything do damn hard to find.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love a second set for the kids...but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Part of the issue is that some collectors wait for clearance, no matter the product, and Hasbro and retailers likely dont want to be left with pegwarmers, so now they might be starting to underproduce certain exclusives.

Dax

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe Hasbro should ask Playmates how successful it is to not meet the demand of your core collecting community.

Here in Australia they appear to have been exclusive to one retailer who received one box each. I never saw a single one in store but at the full retail price I would have happily purchased 2 full sets. I also would have purchased the Khetana but the handful that were available for international customers sold out instantly. Not only is this lost sales to Hasbro (apparently they don't want to make any more profit) but it has left such a sour taste in my mouth that I will now carry a negative attitude toward any future Hasbro products.

Reaction score
So it looks like a larger stock quantity this time.

I did the last preorder for a set. They only offered them as a set last time. This go around, they sell them individually.
Let's hope they make enough for everyone, I think there is a big market of 40 something year olds who aren't collectors but if saw them on pegs would pick up a few for nostalgias sake.

If Hasbro has been listening to the feedback they'll be making them without the fake edge ware and sticker...which means I'd have to get a second set :/

Reaction score
They've been available at various online retailers, but nothing at stores after Target. I think one of the Hasbro reps was in error when she said more would be coming to retail in the Fall, she probably meant "fan channels" which is another way of describing online sources. At NYCC, they wouldnt even comment on the future of the line, only saying that the initial run did well.

Reaction score
That's a pitty. I was hoping for a possible fun item in time for Christmas.

Reaction score
Dunno what the deal is, but I was at Books-a-million this evening and they had a whole pile of Tarkin/Death Star Escape sets. $27.99.

Reaction score
Went into newberry comics yesterday and they had Luke and Chewie.12.99 each

Reaction score
Dunno what the deal is, but I was at Books-a-million this evening and they had a whole pile of Tarkin/Death Star Escape sets. $27.99.
The Tarkin figure / game was only released first at Target - its now open to anyone that wants to carry it. Charging $8 over the MSRP is surely odd, considering you can go to Target across the street and buy it for $20 (or less in some cases). I predicted when annouced that Tarkin will eventually hit deep clearance, it should have been an exclusive, because the game seems boring, and the character choice is a bit too obscure to interest kids and casual buyers. Had they released Vader with a Death Star playset, I could see that as a widespread non-exclusive release. Tarkin was one of the biggest names missing from the Kenner line, but that desire is mostly held by guys that are 40+ years old now, not so much a wide range of consumers.

Reaction score
The Tarkin figure / game was only released first at Target - its now open to anyone that wants to carry it. Charging $8 over the MSRP is surely odd, considering you can go to Target across the street and buy it for $20 (or less in some cases). I predicted when annouced that Tarkin will eventually hit deep clearance, it should have been an exclusive, because the game seems boring, and the character choice is a bit too obscure to interest kids and casual buyers. Had they released Vader with a Death Star playset, I could see that as a widespread non-exclusive release. Tarkin was one of the biggest names missing from the Kenner line, but that desire is mostly held by guys that are 40+ years old now, not so much a wide range of consumers.
The Retro line is aimed at 40+ year olds, in fact nearly all of Hasbro's line is aimed at this market, I can't see any kids being interested in these retro 5POA toys.

Which makes the fact that Tarkin has been warming pegs a bit of a head scratcher to me. If collectors had been desperate for this figure they would have flown off shelves. $20 isn't too much to ask for a figure you've been waiting 40 yrs for ? Because of the low interest on Tarkin I doubt Hasbro will be doing many, if any new figures... which is a shame because IMO Tarkin was by far the stand out in wave 1 but it seems 99% of people wanted the old figures :/

Reaction score
The Retro line is aimed at 40+ year olds, in fact nearly all of Hasbro's line is aimed at this market, I can't see any kids being interested in these retro 5POA toys.

Which makes the fact that Tarkin has been warming pegs a bit of a head scratcher to me. If collectors had been desperate for this figure they would have flown off shelves. $20 isn't too much to ask for a figure you've been waiting 40 yrs for ? Because of the low interest on Tarkin I doubt Hasbro will be doing many, if any new figures... which is a shame because IMO Tarkin was by far the stand out in wave 1 but it seems 99% of people wanted the old figures :/

It may have been an unfair test seeing how they only released him with the game. I'm curious to see how much better he would have done in a carded version only.

On the other hand, maybe Tarkin was a true test of the line period. Tarkin being a never released figure may have had the real sales results , meaning , the only ones who bought him were the ones who wanted him. The rest can be inflated number from scalpers who only bought them to resell.

Reaction score

He was way overproduced is why. He was available a few weeks before the figures started to show, and most of us got multiples of him then. I myself own 3.but the rest of the line was near impossible to find. This really wrecked the ratios. Everyone scooped up the regular ones, and Tarkin got left behind because the prospectors couldn't make enough money off of it. As far as kids go, friends kids that come to my house love em. But they are a niche thing and hasbro knows that. But saying kids have no interest in them is simply false. These were the ones I had as a kid and i loved them then too. Kids arent as into star wars as they used to be is all.

Reaction score

Didn't I just make that point? lol Anyhow, while the 40+ crowd are the primary consumers, of course there will be some kids and casual fans interested as well. The character choice of Tarkin, and what many would deem a boring game, just wont hit those other demographics much though. Maybe the holidays will give the Tarkin set a boost, with gift givers looking for a unique item, but I think the demand was probably met already amongst most collectors, though some are waiting for a sale. Hasbro tends to overproduce, and Tarkin likely was no different - he did indeed fly off the shelves when the first cases made it to stores, but the market demand wasn't as high as they thought, and packing him with a game might not have been the best choice.

Reaction score
Tarkin was my least favorite of the bunch. He's neat to have but not as neat as having the reissues. I'd much rather they continue to reissue the vintage line than make figures that were never never produced.

Reaction score
I really like tarkin and like the idea of doing new never before done characters in the vintage style but has zero interest in the game and refuse to buy it. If the game hits $10 I will buy it for the figure.

Reaction score
I literally just donated 2 Death Star Escape games from the Tarkins I bought to goodwill. I sat on them for a while but in the end decided I wasn't ever going to play them, or display them, or sell (ship) them. So, off they went.

Reaction score
I think he would have sold better if 2 things had not happened,
#1 he came with the god awful board game. I didn't like it much when I was a kid, still don't.
#2 The other figures were super hard to find.

I have always thought had they packed him in something of value, He would have sold
My best Idea was to ship him with a replica Vinyl case! In fact all the new figures should be packed with a case (but not the vader, 3p0 or rifle).
Wish Hasbro would just Listen....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really like tarkin and like the idea of doing new never before done characters in the vintage style but has zero interest in the game and refuse to buy it. If the game hits $10 I will buy it for the figure.

Keep checking ebay. Tunghori has been known to list the Tarkin figure from time to time.

Reactions: Yak
Reaction score
Target had them on sale for 15.
I almost bought one, but decided to wait. They're back to full price but I wouldn't be surprised to see them clearance out after the holidays.

Reaction score
Anyone see these out in stores yet?

Ebay has over 700 listings and I was looking through them. Not 1 bid. Alot of vader prototype figs. Haven't seen these pop back up on target in a while.

I have been hoping for a secret holiday special being announced but wishful thinking.

Any news?

Reaction score
The Hasbro rep that said the basic Retro figures were coming back to retail clearly misspoke, because they aren't slated for release at any known retailer. They're still available via some online "fan channel" sites though, I believe only by the case / set - not sure anyone still has individuals for sale. Still no word on future waves.

Same with the prototype Vader Retro figure - that's gone from the website and apparently at random stores, it was never fully distributed - I've never once seen it for sale on Target's website or at retail. The hoarding was ridiculous - there are some people with a dozen or more, and many of us with nothing. If anyone has a spare, I'm most interested in the red helmet / purple torso combo - shoot me a PM if you have one for sale / trade.

Reaction score
The Hasbro rep that said the basic Retro figures were coming back to retail clearly misspoke, because they aren't slated for release at any known retailer. They're still available via some online "fan channel" sites though, I believe only by the case / set - not sure anyone still has individuals for sale. Still no word on future waves.

Same with the prototype Vader Retro figure - that's gone from the website and apparently at random stores, it was never fully distributed - I've never once seen it for sale on Target's website or at retail. The hoarding was ridiculous - there are some people with a dozen or more, and many of us with nothing. If anyone has a spare, I'm most interested in the red helmet / purple torso combo - shoot me a PM if you have one for sale / trade.
These are now being found in stores in the UK and in Europe. I know thats of no help on this side of the pond, but that could mean there are more being made. As for Vader, a totally mishandled exclusive.