New England Finds v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfk

Reaction score
Maynard said:
mfk said:
anyone know where I could pick up an AT-AT around Boston this weekend?
The Framingham Target had a cpl last time I swung through that area late last week, so I'd try there. I don't know about South Bay, haven't been out that way in a while, maybe call first?

I understand your push for THIS weekend, but I wouldn't sweat it too much if you had to wait on it a bit. After all, what are we talking about here seriously, 6 bucks? Really, after spending a hundred on a toy(a great one, that's worth every penny, btw), I wouldn't worry about the other 6. But yeah, I think the same thing happened to Sol or Biz or someone else local where they bought something and it was swapped out(it's happened to me too in the past. The best course of action is to return it and just say nada. Just call it a regular return, "never touched it, etc etc". Otherwise, you could unmeaningly open up a whole can of worms on YOURSELF, you know what I mean? Nevermind, how they'll look at collectors in general. I'm pretty sure that's what most others have done also and it's the best way you can go, without sounding too selfish. Good luck with everything bro.
yeah, this was literally 2 mins after i had made the purchase. I walked out, popped the trunk, laid my treasure in there and noticed the brown bike. They didn't give me a hard time at all at the returns and i told them that it had been tampered with and not to put it back on the floor.

The particularly painful bit was how I had literally AGONIZED for months on whether or not to buy this as I have a strict "NO VEHICLES" rule since I'm already taking up enough space w/ my 1100+ figures and have only made one exception for the BMF. I literally wandered around target for almost an hour before giving in. Now, that I've given in to the dark side, I want it more than ever now.

Reaction score
mfk said:
I had literally AGONIZED for months on whether or not to buy this as I have a strict "NO VEHICLES" rule since I'm already taking up enough space w/ my 1100+ figures and have only made one exception for the BMF. I literally wandered around target for almost an hour before giving in. Now, that I've given in to the dark side, I want it more than ever now.
Lol, that's too funny. I understand what you mean with the problem with not enough space. I'm cutting back myself on vehicles unless they are totally necessary to a diorama I have going. No more "slightly retooled" X-Wings, TIEs, etc. Hasbro can keep em.
I must warn you though, this IS going to take up a LOT of space. The one good thing however, besides being so tall though, it is (fortunately for you) fairly thin; so unless you HAVE to have the sides open, you can sneak it into like probably an 8-10" wide area, maybe less even. Good luck with your hunt.

Like I said, if you are desperate to get it THIS weekend, just get on the phone and call your closest Targets and just check them 1by1. Unlike trying to get them to locate a specific figure over the phone(which I would never try anyway), they should have no problem checking for this. In fact, just get the DPCI and have them look that up for you, that way you don't need to even wait for the toy department (customer service should be able to do it for you) and also this way you can be a thousand percent certain. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Can't say I love the $40 price point, but it's at least good to know he's shown up. It's funny, most of the placards at the shows have him listed as an October release. What a mess Hasbro has made with those placards. There are some figures from the same exact wave with different release dates on them(hello?????), there is one wave(wave 4) missing altogether, on & on. I must admit, I love a lot of what we've seen at the shows, but they've made an absolute mess of the placard info.

The $40 price point might not be totally terrible after all, as there are A LOT of people who want to buy just the Oola figure for like 10-12 bucks. I'm just fine with old Oola(have been for like 12 years now, thank you very much), thus I suppose I could sell it off and end up paying $30 for Jabba WITH his dias. Not all that bad, I suppose. But like you said, $20(maybe $25) would have been easier to swallow).

OK, sorry to get off track and rant, lol. Back to it........

Reaction score
iluvsnowtroopers said:
I found the Jabba at Raynham Target, but quickly passed - didn't realize it was $40!!! WTF? This is $20 at best.
I picked a spectacular weekend to be away traveling. Frak ! Since the fall river report, Raynham is one of the stores I've had my eyes on... Was in there Friday night in fact. Bleep!

And while $39 may seem high, expecting it for $20 is a ridiculous expectation in a time where ships without an included figure cost $25. Beasts towards the end of the first Saga line were $15, and that's what ? 5 years ago?

I it should cost $5 less than it does now. A ship, plus a figure price for an exclusive. But if you haven't noticed, wal-mart star wars exclusives haven't been cheap lately. The dark trooper build a droid 2-packs come to mind.

Reaction score
Alright I'm no longer lamenting my travels... Found jabba today in nh. Viva tax free shopping !

Reaction score
sHa_ckwave said:
But if you haven't noticed, wal-mart star wars exclusives haven't been cheap lately. The dark trooper build a droid 2-packs come to mind.
Without trying to sound purposely sarcastic, bro------Actually, no, to be completely honest with you, that WalMart dark trooper thing does NOT come to mind one bit. I don't recall the slightest bit of interest and/or "hype" about that. The only thing i do recall from that is that I realized from day 1 that there was not a single item worth wasting even just the mileage on the car for. Thus, i don't recall those in the least bit(What they included/exact prices/etc/etc).
But I digres.....In any case, $20 for the Jabba set is quite a bit low to expect. Id say $30 would sound a lot closer to ideal and would go even further to say that $35 is probably their best bet to accomplish their 2 main objectives: A)make a good turnover rate on the product, and B) keep the item moving off the shelves at a relatively steady pace.

Besides us collectors, they are going to be hard-pressed to find a parent/gift giver/etc to drop $40 on that. Average "gift limit prices" for other peoples' kids in my family/friends is right around the $25 limit. $30 if you are feeling overly nice that day, but definitely NOT $40.

Reaction score
Nutshell refresher... $17 plus tax for 2 figures plus one build a droid part which gave you 1/5th of the phase III dark trooper, who was about 60% larger than your average SW figure. And it all came in a tiny little box... And most of the figures were minor redos, repaints or reuses of old parts/figs.

That in a world where a few years ago you'd get two new sculpted figs plus a comic book for $10-$12.

And even then they sold.

So that may put Jabba's price in perspective a little. Also, there are reports of him being found for 35.88 and 36.88 in a few other regions so we may just be getting more porked living in a higher income area.

Reaction score
iluvsnowtroopers said:
I found the Jabba at Raynham Target, but quickly passed - didn't realize it was $40!!! WTF? This is $20 at best.
How can you find him at target? It's a walmart exclusive

Reaction score
{quote}

How can you find him at target? It's a walmart exclusive

[/QUOTE]

OOPS! I meant Wal-Mart. LOL. If you look at the CW "battle" pack with Ziro (was that his name?) the hutt and a droid, that was $20. The one with the XWing transport came with the transported a new figure and a new droid for $20. The Jabba has a repainted Jabba, Oola and a dais. I'd say $28 max. The $38.99 price point just seems way too much.

Reaction score
I picked up a jabba @ the walmart in Lynn last night. Looked to be the only one left. This set is nice, but I feel like jabba could have been made of better material, kind of squishy. The dais itself is cool.

Reaction score
sHa_ckwave said:
The msrp on the Scramble on Yavin and the CW Jabba set were 23.99 not $20.
sHa_ckwave is exactly correct. the $20 price point on BattlePacks were well gone at the time those hit.

mfk

Reaction score
Random question... broke my foot last week which is going to put me out of the hunt for a while. Any NE scummers willing to pick up an extra Jabba set? I'd be able to pick up in the boston area or would be willing to pay up to $10 for shipping?

I know it's a long shot, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask...

Reaction score
If I see one, I will grab it for you... although now that I found one I don't expect to be shopping at walmart too often.

Reaction score
Oh how i despise Walmart. This whole Jabba thing is already out of hand. I hit about 4-5 stores over the past 2 days. All but 1 without even so much as a shelf tag/sticker for it. One place told me that the one I had just been to(which was completely empty, btw) had 2 of them. I called first before making a wasted return trip and to no surprise---- nothing. Another WalMart told me that they have 7 in their computer but it says nothing else. It doesn't say where/when/etc/. Again, of course, no sign/sticker on any shelf to be found. Ugh, what an unorganized mess that place this. It seriously just a glorified K-Mart.

Reaction score
My best advice with walmart is to go a half an hour before they close. Pick one that said it had jabba in stock but not on the shelf. Usually they will have the pallets out by the toy section and you can hunt for the box and open it yourself. That's what I've done for figures at walmart in the past.

Reaction score
Damn no Jabbas to be found. If anyone can hook me up I'd be really grateful. Or at least point me in the direction of one in the greater boston area.

Reaction score
I haven't seen Jabba yet but I did find a nice comic shop in Nashua, NH to satisfy my GG and Sideshow fix. They also have a nice selection of older figures (nothing overly new) and older multipacks. I am not a fan of one of the employees there but at least I found a place with a good selection.

Reaction score
Picked up the AT-AT at the Target in Smithfield today. They only had one though.

Reaction score
the AT-AT I have come across have been no more than one per shelf..crazy considering the BMF was 5 deep and not selling in the stores I frequented

Reaction score
HeadlessGree said:
the AT-AT I have come across have been no more than one per shelf..crazy considering the BMF was 5 deep and not selling in the stores I frequented
Well, one must consider the BMF did hit around Black Friday(or pretty close to it, if i recall correctly), which makes an immeasurable difference in terms of expected/projected sales.
Plus, maybe the BMF didn't sell through as well as was initially planned/hoped and they have since learned that smaller number releases is the way to go on larger scale/higher priced items. Using Classroom Sales 101, one could easily conclude that this is the reasoning behind why you are seeing what you are seeing. I could, however, be 1000% incorrect and it could just be a local trend that you are seeing, lol. Who can tell for certain?

Reaction score
My apologies for the back-to-back posts, but onto a completely different subject.....
WalMarts seem to be finally receiving TVC, TCW, and Saga figures in large numbers(though too little too late as far as I'm concened, I've been well caught up long ago at this point, thanks a bunch Wally), but still no Jabba to be found ANYwhere.
Man, I can't count the number of time collectors have pointed this out to Hasbro over the past 10-12 or so years: "Simply put, WalMart is just a bad choice---nay, a terrible choice--- for SW store exclusives. For multiple reasons at that. Either many people don't have a WalMart closer than 50 miles, and/or the poor distribution within the stores ranks itself. I'm not sure that Hasbro is going, nor do they truly even care to take heed.

Reaction score
Walmart in Raynham, MA has Wave 2 of the deluxe figures and the newest wave of clone figures this morning as well, $16.97 and $7.96 respectfully

Reaction score
Vader4Life said:
.... and the newest wave of clone figures this morning
If you'll pardon my ignorance bro(I don't keep up so much with the CW line) but which is the latest wave of TCW figures? I ask because I am slightly interested in a few of the ones we saw pics of at the conventions, I just never took the time to check for dates/wave #s/etc

On a slightly different mode, for anybody who was holding out hope on the Framingham WalMart getting The Fat Man, I'd call it a day and move on to the next. I've been working out that way all week, thus have had the chance to wwatch their "reset" unfold first hand. I had enough free ime and it was literally right along my route each day, thus I would hit it a minimum of twice a day, usally once early morning and once late night, thus my ability to see it the way it unfolded. It appears that they are pretty much all done with the SW section, (though there may be some space left for a few more pegs of Saga repacks), the shelves are entirely full( overly full is prolly the better way to put it). That silly remote control thing, coupled with Fett helmets, that Grievus play-toy lightsabers, plus the Starfighter size vehicles(taking up BOTH top AND bottom shelves, ugh) take up the entire area where any Jabba would even have a chance to fit. To top it off, I took a meticulous look up & down the entire SW section looking for any tag that read $38.88....alas, none anywhere. Thus, my final conclusion is that this specific Walmart is not going to partake(as happens often with store exclusives for whatever reason). I also took a moment to ask up at customer service; to my amazement I got an English speaking, actually civil employee to help me(a rarity at WalMart, in case you've not been to one over the last 10 years or so) who was kind enough to look it up in the comp for me. She came up with a "Hmph, this is wierd, it dosn't say whether we are getting any in or not. It just lists the name but nothing else, no amounts, no price, nothing".
So here is my contribution for this week: save y'all selves the trip out to Framingham/Natick. Plus, I'll be working there through the remainder of this week anyhow, so if things do change, I'll let you guys know immediately, but for now, save the gas & aggravation, man, seriously.

Reaction score
Vintage Wave 2 was at TRU Framingham tonight (if you can stomach TRUs prices). Almost didn't notice it, was there to pick up the Galactic Heroes purchase of the droids set and almost walked right by them.

Picked up the new Anakin, Magnaguard (foil card) and Sandtrooper. Still there as of 8PM was Cody, 2 Obis, 1 Sandtrooper, 1 Clone Trooper. Guess I missed the new Sidious fig, although I'm on the fence on him so I might have passed anyway.

Reaction score
And just a follow up on Maynard's post... the BMF actually did come out around the same time... middle of summer, for the Clone Wars/Legacy Collection launch. August date I believe, but I remember getting mine at Target in July via the DPCI. They did however make another big push with it on or around Black Friday.

Sol

Reaction score
Tons of Vintage at Quincy WalMart and Southbay Target, but no Jabba or AT-AT. Luke's Snowspeeder and Cloud Cars at Southbay Target for $20 each.

Picked up 3PO after all the commotion everyone was making about how great it was. Have yet to open it.

What do you guys think about the electronic lights/noise R2? That's who I was going to pair 3PO with until the new Vintage R2 comes out.

Reaction score
Hello all. Long time collector and reader first time poster.

I am having a huge Star Wars yard sale this Sun Aug 29 from 9 am - 12 pm (longer if needed) in Fall River.

I will have hundreds of items lots and lots of loose figures.

If you are interested please message me and I will send over my address.

Reaction score
Stoughton, Wareham, Cape Cod. I've been driving around to all the damn walmarts and even having them scan the UPC number. No jabba.

Reaction score
II hear ya Blight, I've been basically doing the same. Problem is, they are SO bad at walmart(employees, I mean). The most civil(and usually ONLY) response I'll get is "nope, sorry, can't help ya. If it's not on the shelves we don't have it. We don't keep anything in stock"

Reaction score
Here's my run-down on which stores I've seen the Jabba shelf tag at/or its been reported at :

Lynn
Abington
Swansea Mall
Fall River
Raynham
North Attleboro
Worcester Super Store
Woonsocket, RI
Seabrook, NH

Stores its not in the reset at :

Quincy
Weymouth
Hanover
Brockton
Avon
Walpole
Bellingham
Framingham
Seekonk

Stores I haven't checked :

Hudson, MA
Boylston
Oxford
Westborough
...anything else in RI, or on the North Shore, or NH, or north or west of worcester.

I'd say if the tag isn't there, it isn't worth checking. But that's easy for me to say having found one already.

Reaction score
OK, a couple of quick addendums to the list above. Ive been to the Framingham WalMart upward of 30(yes THIRTY, as in three-zero) times within the past 2 weeks, sometimes 3 times a day, before, during AND after stocking(ang often times becoming the unofficial un-paid stocker myself, lol . I've looked through full pallets, I've watched entire pallets unloaded piece by piece(as you can probably guess by know, my jod requires a LOT of waiting time), and I've showed up and the end of the night once all pallets were emptied. I ALSO had them check their computer and it reports that they had NEVER got them in yet, but are do to, they just don't know when(typical). Also, they have completed their entire toy reset to a degree of about 98%, and the SW section seems to be completed, with no empty section with a $38.88 sticker hanging below it. Thus, we can ASSUREDLY cross that one off the list, at least for the next coming week(s?).

As for Lynn, they did get in 2 Jabbas about to 2 weeks ago(I think Indy was lucky enough to get one, right?) and THAT'S BEEN ABSOLUTELY IT. Their computer says that no more are on order (though we all know how that goes, so let's keep our fingers crossed.).

And I also know for A FACT that the Salem(MA) Walmart has not receive ANY as of yet and (according, once again to their ever-so-reliable comp system) they are slated to NOT get any anytime soon.

I hope that helps remove a little bit of the hersay off the list, even though knowing sHa_ckwave for as long as I have, I would not be the least bit surprised if all the other stores on that list are through his first-hand, been-there-on-the-spot- knowledge. The man is a great colector, always has been, always will be. Thanks for the list bro,glad you could help us out, and I'm glad I could help clear up a few, even if it was with just a couple. Thanks again, old friend.

Reaction score
Ooh, sorry for the back-to back posts, but I almost forgot:
Through all though Walmarts I've been through today, I forgot to mention that they do actually have 1 new item(2, depending on your point of view)in stock, hanging on pegs. Most(if not all) of the WalMarts I saw today had the new Mando Speeder with the Mandolrian Warrrior dude AND they also had(and I don;t reacll seeing pictures of this. please somebody correct me if I'm wrong): Another new Deluxe pack featuring TCW Obi-Wan and he come with a Speeder with light blue marking. The only thing different/interesting about this what is basically a generic speeder except that it's kinda like one of those old school WWII motorcycles with the side cart attached, lol. In short, it has a side cart on it which)I believe a small gun attached to it.(I think he used this to rescue Satine in one of the CW episodes, no?)

There seemed to be enough floating around for everybody(and, believe me, it appeared as if it's one of those items that will keep restocking over & over again for like nearly 2 years)

The only thing that I had in mind is that this could be used for when Rex go hit by that Commando Droid Sniper and the group medic Jessie had to lay him on the side of his bike to get him to safety at that "deserter's" farmhouse. Though, A)it would probably take quite a bit of work to convert it into that, and B) that Jessie w/injured Rex scene is really not at the top of my list to recreate for dioramas, thus I'm all set with this for now(I've got more than enough speeders of all colors, thank you)---thus.....more for those of you that want it. Granted, if it went on clearence for like 6.99 or something similar to that, in a year or so, I might consider it, but even that's a stretch.

Reaction score
I know the 3 back to back posts may seem annoying to some, but I actally have some info to disperse this time. TRU in Framingham has ths 2/3ds Evolution pack, if you know hat I mean. The had all 3 this morning (young/old Boba, Ani padawan/Vader, & Grievous as Kaleesh Warrior and cybrog, Since i oalready own all 6 of these figures(a few of them, multiple times over, like the Ani, Vader, Grievus, etc. From what I could tell, at least the Grievous was the decently done version, the most recen release, so at last thats a plus, cause I know how hard he was to find for a tme....though I'm not certain I'd drop $15-16 bucks or whatever they're trying to fetch for these(didn't care enough to look).

Unfortunately, there was a dude there early(first thing?) thing this morning, picking through them and getting the best cards /bubbles. Do people STILL keep stuff packaged anymore???? I understand that some stuff just LOOKS cool kept carded(like, say, the Death Star Briefing Set from about 5 years back thats last one I can recall).Man, what a waste of space. the reason the original vintage stuff is worth money sealed & on og cards is simply because there were so few made and so many simply opened & discarded the packaging and most stuff just simply got thrown away over the years. But in today's distribution world. just like old baseball cards compared to new baseball cards, nothing new is EVER, I REPEAT E-V-E-R, going to be worth jacks***, if for no other reason, that there are millions(if not billions) of each item made. And so may collectors(admittedly I was one till I saw the light and realized the futility of it0 has one verSion open AND one version closed, it's sadly become the norm . That wasn't the case back in the day, thus the value. But to sit there for 20 minutes like this guy was and pick through what he though were '"the best cards", man what a waste of time(while talking about he was late for work in the meantime, ugh). I actualy did him somewhat of a favor, I had a couple single-carded figures with decent looking boxes(not those silly 2-packs, mind you)a few single carded of which i was buying multiples of, while he had some crumpled up ones in hand. I told him "let's just go ahead and trade so you can have the nice ones"). I told him I couldn't care less , as I'm an opener through & through. In all honesty, he was a pretty decent guy and said something to the effect of: "No way man, those are yours, cherish them, blah blah blah". My response was basically that this cardboard & plastic will be in a trash bin within 15 minutes, so knock yourself out & take your pick, man. He finally obliged, and was very grateful I helped him out, at least a little bit. So at least I guess I did something good for somebody. He left happier than he arrived, so, hey, what else can you do, right? Makes you feel somewhat decent, being able to help other out, even it's something as minute as hobby collecting..

Reaction score
Hey Maynard

I lived in Framingham for 22 years before getting the hell out of dodge, I can tell you that Wal-Mart (old Caldor/Ames location) is crap. The stocking is horrible, if INS ever wanted to do a raid, start there, they would need 3 trucks when they are done...but I digress

They never have anything new, although I did see wave #2 of Clone Wars (Mace Windu w/ split helmet) there at $7.96 a figure...ouch. The Target behind it is ok, stocks regularly

I know the guy you speak of at TRU. Personally, I keep everything in package, my choice. I like it displayed that way, but to each their own. That TRU is ok for finding new product however...and this to Hasbro and TRU

1. Dont think I am buing a 2-pack of figures for $17.00 when we already have them and they aint worth it "Lars Disturbance" anyone???
2. Dont think for 1 moment that I will but Vintage figures for $9.99 when i can get them for $7.99 at Walmart and Target less then 100 yards away sometimes.

If anyone needs proof, check every Target and Walmart you go to now...anyone having a hard time finding Vintage Wave#1....Hasbro is going to flood the market with all these figures...dont worry and dont feed the "bear" a.k.a. TRU

Status
Not open for further replies.