NEW CTR Feature: Flashback Friday!

Reaction score

Starting today, there's a brand new feature here on Cool Toy Review! Check out Flashback Friday, a new series that will take a trip back in time with a look at the classic toys of yesteryear!

For the debut, the CTR spotlight falls onto the Super Powers Collection by Kenner. Check out over a dozen classic figures from what is quite possibly the finest action figure toy line ever made!

001: Kenner's SUPER POWERS COLLECTION, Part 1

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the DC Comics Super Heroes line by Toy Biz. Starting with the first wave of figures based on 1989's Batman movie and the the second and third waves were clearly inspired by the Super Powers line.

002: Toy Biz's DC COMICS SUPER HEROES

[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Batman: The Dark Knight Collection line by Kenner. Another line based on the first Batman movie and a return to Kenner of the DC actio figure license.

003: Kenner's BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT COLLECTION

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Batman: The Dark Knight Collection line by Kenner. Another line based on the first Batman movie and a return to Kenner of the DC actio figure license.

003: Kenner's BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT COLLECTION

[/QUOTE]

Just found this guide today. I had no idea that you were going to have an archive for this line too! Very cool. By far my favorite line of figures and vehicles. Enjoyed every pic.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the new feature! Since I've been away, I fell behind on a few recent updates. Allow me to correct that now:

From 8/15:
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Legends of Batman line by Kenner. This line was based on the Batman comics, specificlaly the "Knightfall" "Knightquest" and Knightsend" crossovers.

004: Kenner's LEGENDS OF BATMAN

From 8/22:
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Total Justice line by Kenner. This line features many of the Justice League characters (and in fact, was turned into Hasbro's JLA line) now decked out in crazy "fractal techgear".

005: Kenner's TOTAL JUSTICE

There's more to come as I dig out my old toys from yesteryear!

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Superman: Man of Steel line by Kenner. Based on the "Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Superman" storylines from DC Comics that kicked off in 1992.

006: Kenner's SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Delayed from last week, because I got too busy to finish in time....hell, I barely got it done in time for THIS week!

The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line by Playmates. Based on the animated series of the same name, I have a special fondness for this line, since I was (and still am, although to a lesser extent I guess) a BIG TMNT fan!

007: Playmates' TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

Enjoy!

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that this thread should be posted in THIS section, because y'know "Flashback" kind of describes "vintage" after all....

yeah, I'm slow....

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA line by Mattel. Based on the original TV series, any science fiction fan from the late 1970s probably scored one or two of these figures themselves. I had a few from the first series, but they've been lost to time. Never fear, though...thanks to forum member jediblood, we've got the whole line of figures for you to enjoy all day long!

008: Mattel's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA line by Mattel. Based on the original TV series, any science fiction fan from the late 1970s probably scored one or two of these figures themselves. I had a few from the first series, but they've been lost to time. Never fear, though...thanks to forum member jediblood, we've got the whole line of figures for you to enjoy all day long!

008: Mattel's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Enjoy!
Awesome pictures Curto!

Reaction score
VERY nice, Dan.

Are the Mego 3 3/4" Black Hole figures on the horizon?

Also, are these from your personal collection(s), or purchased for the site archive?

Reaction score
I can answer that for Curto. The Black Hole figures are on the horizon, since he borrowed mine to shoot, well minus STAR & Humanoid.

The Battlestar Galactica figures are also from my collection, along with a few other lines that he borrowed to be featured in future installments of Flashback Friday.

Sorry to answer the question for you Curto.

Reaction score
Not a problem. Last week's Galactica updates were not mine, because mine were lost long ago, with the exception of one blaster and the capes...that's because I gave Starbuck's cape to Luke (kind of a poncho, and turned him into my fan-fiction character "Logan Darklighter") and i gave the Adama cape to Lando...because I hated the plastic cape (that cape went to the blue Snaggletooth for some reason).

On tap for future Flashback Friday features are the following:
- The Black Hole
- Flash Gordon (this might not be a FF though...just a theme for a day)
- Super Powers Collection, part 2

Starting next month, I'll be heading into the Marvel Universe with a series of Marvel Universe features. I posted a sneak peek way back in June, but I haven't had a chance until now to get back to it.

But I'll split up the Marvel stuff with other lines....just for a variety.

Anything else you'd like to see?

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Fridayfeatures a return to the SUPER POWERS COLLECTION line by Kenner. Thanks to some of my fellow collecting pals, I'm finally able to complete this line...something I've been wanting to do ever since the early days of Cool Toy Review.

009: Kenner's SUPER POWERS COLLECTION, Part 2

Now you can check out every figure in the classic line...what many consider to be one of the best toy linebs ever made.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Technically, it's not complete until you have the Super Powers version of Cyborg.

There's still the vehicles, playsets and carrying case.

Reaction score
yeah yeah...WHATEVER!

Maybe one day....but now I'm moving on to the Marvel Universe.

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the BLACK HOLE line by Mego. Based on the original Walt Disney science fiction movie, any science fiction fan from the late 1970s probably scored one or two of these figures themselves. I had most of the first series, but they've been broken or damaged from years of play. Never fear, though...thanks once again to forum member jediblood, we've got nearly the whole line of figures* for you to enjoy all day long!

010: Mego's THE BLACK HOLE

Enjoy!

(*) Stay tuned, because there's a special update coming later today on the missing figures.

Reaction score
Love the FBF features Curto; keep 'em coming! Any chance we'll see a Butch & Sundance run? CHiPS? M.A.S.H?

Just how rare (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most rare) is the Humanoid piece? It's a really great looking figure...and it had soft good booties?

Reaction score
TheRealDubya said:
Love the FBF features Curto; keep 'em coming! Any chance we'll see a Butch & Sundance run? CHiPS? M.A.S.H?

Just how rare (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most rare) is the Humanoid piece? It's a really great looking figure...and it had soft good booties?
10! On ebay it usually goes for a couple of thousand dollars. It may be one of the rarest figures of all.

Reaction score
The last loose one I saw on eBay was complete and went for $270. There's a carded one up that Huckabone has for $9,000 (Italian Gig card).

It's beyond a 10 in rarity carded, but someday I'll own one.

Peace,

Chip

Reaction score
chipcataldo said:
The last loose one I saw on eBay was complete and went for $270. There's a carded one up that Huckabone has for $9,000 (Italian Gig card).

Peace,

Chip
Only $270? That's a steal!

Reaction score
chipcataldo said:

Peace,

Chip
That's insane. I had no idea. What a cool figure.

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the FLASH GORDON line by Mattel. Based on the animated series (which of course is based on the classic comic strip), any science fiction fan from the late 1970s probably scored one or two of these figures themselves. I only had one of these figures myself, and incorporated it into our adventures as a kid. Never fear, though...thanks once again to forum member jediblood, we've got a half dozen figures for you to enjoy all day long!

011: Mattel's FLASH GORDON

Enjoy!

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the INDIANA JONES line by Kenner. Based on the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK movie, we've featured this line before...but with all the Indy updates this week, I guess i was feeling a bit nostalgic and I wanted to include this line in with this feature.

012: Kenner's THE ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES

Enjoy!

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features series 1 of the SPAWN line by <s>McFarlane Toys</s> Todd Toys. Based on the comic book series of the same name, I guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic this week shooting all the latest Spawn figures and I wanted to include this series in with this week's feature.

013: Todd Toys' SPAWN Series 1

Enjoy!

Reaction score
If anyone's even noticed, the Flashback Friday feature has been on hiatus for a few weeks. This is because I have had a few changes in my life recently and I haven't had time to get any more lines photographed. I went through the "inventory" series I was holding onto, and I pushed back a major theme that I was planning to kick off way back in September.

Having said that, after a few weeks off, Flashback Friday returns next week with a toy line that I've been eager to feature ever since we started this site! Sharp-eyed readers might be able to guess what I've got planned, but be sure to come back next Friday for the return.

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
...Flashback Friday returns next week with a toy line that I've been eager to feature ever since we started this site! Sharp-eyed readers might be able to guess what I've got planned, but be sure to come back next Friday for the return.
Eager = Eagle Force?

Reaction score
The next installment of Flashback Friday features the MARVEL SUPER HEROES: SECRET WARS line by Mattel. Based on the 1984 comic book series of the same name, this was a milestone toy line for several reason: it was the first action figure line from Marvel, introducing many young fans to the Marvel Universe for the first time, boosting the sales of the comic books, and paving the way for the future. Plus, it features the first time many of the most popular characters were ever made into action figures! While there are many, many figures for some of these characters today, this is where they got their start.

014: Mattel's MARVEL SUPER HEROES: SECRET WARS

One of the reasons CTR was created was to build galleries of some of these classic toy lines. Since Secret Wars is one of my all-time favorite series, I've been very eager to feature the figures on the site.

I'll be running this one a little bit differently than previous editions...instead of featuring everything all at once, this Flashback Friday page will be updated as each figure is added to the Photo Archive.

Plus, I'm spreading this one out a bit:
Part 1 - (today) will feature the heroes from wave 1
Part 2 - (tomorrow) will feature the villains
Part 3 - (Sunday) will feature all of the figure from wave 2

Enjoy!

Reaction score
TheRealDubya said:
Eager = Eagle Force?
Yikes, I was trying too hard. Should have put 2+2 together when I saw the Wolverine in the upper left hand frame midweek.

The Secret Wars line is one of my favorites. The Dr. Doom is the first figure (that I can recall having) that a somewhat working holster in my collection. Those were some boom years for cool toys. I may have too look into getting some key pieces.

Reaction score
For the non-Star Wars fanboy in all of you!

The next installment of Flashback Friday features the MARVEL SUPER HEROES line by Toy Biz.

Hinted at WWWAAAAYYYYY back in June, it's finally here (I'm so lazy!)

I'll be running this one a little bit differently than previous editions...instead of featuring everything all at once, this Flashback Friday page will be updated as each figure is added to the Photo Archive.

Plus, I'm spreading this one out a bit:
Part 1 - (today) will feature wave 1

Part 2 - (Saturday) will feature wave 2

Part 3 - (Sunday) will feature wave 3

As well as a few more surprises!

Reaction score
"MARVEL MANIA" returns with Flashback Friday presents Toy Biz's X-MEN, Wave 2.

It's 1992 today with 13 of Marvel's merry mutants from the past!

Today is going to feature the figures from wave 2:

I hadn't planned to feature this wave until next month, but I got such a good response from last week's edition, I decided to push it up to the top of my to-do list.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
This feature is awesome. As a kid of about three when these X-Men figures came out (and having a comic geek for an uncle certainly helped) I had pretty much all of these figures.

Even the features for figures I don't have are interesting! Keep it going Dan!

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the feature. Not to worry, I've got LOTS more to come in the weeks and months ahead.

Although it's kind of odd to think of 1990s toys as "Vintage", the sentiment is there. These were the toys from my younger days...and based on the feedback I've gotten, it seems that many of you had similar tastes as me!

Reaction score
"MARVEL MANIA" returns with Flashback Friday presents Toy Biz's X-FORCE.

It's 1992 today with nearly every one of Marvel's merry mutants from the past!

Today is going to feature the figures from wave 1:

But starting tomorrow, the rest of the figures will also be featured all weekend long in a series of special follow-up reports!

As a special bonus, be sure to stay tuned throughout the weekend for more figures from the X-Force lineup!

Since I'm in New York reporting from the New York Comic Con all weekend long, be sure to stay tuned to this site for all the news I can get from the show, including a sneak peek at the future of the Marvel Universe line!

Because I can't work all the time, and I know you'll want something to read while I'm offline, the rest of the X-FORCE figures will be spotlighted in a series of special follow-up reports.

Enjoy!