New collector afa 80 or 85

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to start a collection afa loose, you advise instead of grades 80 or 85?

Reaction score
Hi! That depends on your budget- personally I would go for mostly afa 85's as they are best for resale
Yeah and it just so happens I have a bunch for sale so check them out!!!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to start a collection afa loose, you advise instead of grades 80 or 85?
THis is pretty subjective and I think a major portion of this decision depends on the collector. I would say, as was stated, if you can afford it, go for the 85.

Reaction score
Another newbie question for the same price you prefer buy Afa 85 bagged or afa U85 or afa 90 ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes but your loose figure perhaps are fakes
Just because loose figs aren't graded doesn't mean they're not real. There are educated collectors here that can spot the difference and don't need to rely on a 3rd party to tell them for a 5x-10x premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yes but your loose figure perhaps are fakes

Figures are rarely faked. Stormtroopers and Vlix are the only ones faked well. Other than that, bad fakes of blue Snaggletooth and Yak Face, and that's about it. Weapons are another story, but you have nothing to fear about figures themselves. I am a newer collector, but I've been taking it easy, asking questions, and studying reproduction guides. Still have a lot to learn, but am getting better at identifying fakes, and I am still in my first year of collecting. If you're going to be spending the money 85's command, you really should consider it worthwhile to invest in knowledge. Just please learn about the destructive nature of U grades. No reason, with the millions of loose figures out there graded and non-graded, you should support ripping figures off sealed packages.

Reaction score
If you are going to collect AFA loose then 85 and up is the way to go. If you are starting out with nothing you should try to buy your own and send in unless you can get a good price on AFA. I think worrying about fake figures isn't the problem. Fake weapons and touch ups are the issues. It only took me a couple months to become an expert on spotting fake weapons and have only been screwed once. That was early in my loose collecting about a year and a half ago. IMPERIAL GUNNARY is the best place to go for knowledge for fake weapons. There are several figures I have had had trouble finding mint and ended up buying graded AFA 85. But most you can find on your own.

Some tough ones to find Mint at least for me were...

Death Star Droid ( loose limbs and bad paint)
Luke X-wing ( Paint)
Princess Leia (I've sent in 3 all received 80)
Luke FarmBoy ( Ive sent in 4 all received 80)
Stormtrooper ( usually discolored)
R2D2 (sticker)
R5D4 (sticker)
Power Droid( Feet)
Bossk (paint)
Bespin Guards (paint)
Luke Bespin (paint and discolored)
AT-AT driver (paint)
Tusken Raider (paint)

There are probably more but these were my tough ones. I'm still looking for a couple. If you have money to burn buy them graded and go for 85+ and up!

Reaction score
My collection afa loose is on the way

luke poncho afa 90
stormtrooper HK afa 85
R2D2 HK afa 85

Reaction score
Well seems like you have a good start to your collection. I don't know if this was mentioned but you should always check when it was graded. Early AFA loose graded figures weren't very secure and would move around in the case rubbing paint on the sides. Those all look like recent grades looking at the cases. When was the R2 graded? It looks like his legs are discolored but it could be the lighting. Sometimes they turn a pinkish color for some reason...

If you are looking for some decent prices right now check out vaultsofyavin on ebay. He usually sell them at a premium but right now he has the option for best offer and is excepting very low offers.

I picked up Luke X-wing HK 85+, Death Star Droid 85 and Zuckass no coo 85 for very cheap compared to the going rate these days.

Reaction score
Thank you I always compare my purchase price with vaultofyavins actually not to pay more

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just look my R2 and legs are white thanks
he was graded in sept 16 2016 my trooper too
luke poncho graded nov 07,2016
thanks amanamanman for your advise :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have got to say, these loose graded figures are a great way for a collector to get into collecting, two of the biggest threats worries with loose graded figures is neutralized, and that is bubbles coming loose or going yellow.

The only worry left is the plastic degrading on the figure, or getting the capes to change color etc.

Reaction score
I have got to say, these loose graded figures are a great way for a collector to get into collecting, two of the biggest threats worries with loose graded figures is neutralized, and that is bubbles coming loose or going yellow.

The only worry left is the plastic degrading on the figure, or getting the capes to change color etc.
and if AFA actually looked at the "vintage" weapon. But once it is in acrylic, it's gotta be legit, right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like you are off to a good start. I personally really like the way the loose graded figures look and IMHO its worth the extra few dollars. I have been focused on the Graded Luke variants.

Reaction score
Welcome to the madness mileniumparis!

The only loose figure that I have ever sent into AFA for grading was my blue snag- it score an 85 and is a keeper! :)

Reaction score
Went AFA 80 on a Yak Face purchase- there's literally hundred(s) of dollars difference between AFA 80 and 85 grades on this figure. AFA 90's for upwards of four figures now.

Got the AFA 80 for sub $400 as a good deal so there's that....