NECA - Planet Of The Apes - Classic & Modern!

Reaction score
Any way to eventually get a Taylor and Nova in my collection I'd support. If not, the proposed prototypes shown would be welcomed still.

Reaction score
Way to take initiative Sallah! I'm all in for a subscription-based movement for POTA. I cast my vote as well sir.

Reaction score
Well I know it's silly but I finished off the modern line today with my pick up, of all things series 1 Caesar. A TRU near me still had two of them left that I had known about for a while. I had a $5 reward that expired today so I grabbed him. In the end the only figure I paid more than retail for (only $5 more though) was the hard to find Luca. I really enjoyed this line, wish it did better. Now I just have to find a spot to display them all together.

Reaction score
Toys R Us has their figures a delightful 75% off right now. Good news if you still need a General Ursus. Or Dr. Zauis Version 2. Or a Caesar...... But hey! Five dollar figures! Neato!

Reaction score
The TRU sale is great, but it's too bad these figures did not sell better. They really are great. I picked up a Dr. Zaius (v2) for $4.75. More interesting, they had the retro style 8” Gorilla Soldier for $7.50 (originally $29.99). I don’t normally like cloth outfit figures, but sometimes the Mego style just seems to fit a license perfectly.

Reaction score
Got in contact with the guys at the Casting Cave, about the possibility of reducing the sculpt of our favourite astronaut, from its retro size, down to regular neca figure size. He's an apes fan and is certainly wants to do it. if more people tell him they want a Chuck Heston sculpt the greater the likelihood of us getting it, and if anyone can help him source a Retro head to cast, it will definitely happen!

Reaction score
Found and purchased Luca at my nearest FYE store. The bubble was thick with dust.
Good to know - Thanks. I don't have any FYE's near me, but this does sound slightly promising. That Luca may have been sitting there for a long time...

Reaction score
My local FYE recently reset their entire store, and a lot of things were moved to clearance, and some to 50% off clearance. NECA Classic POTA stock was included with the latter, but not all at once. I was able to purchase a Gorilla Soldier today for $8.94; but their other Classic POTA stock was not yet marked down to clearance, including their other Gorilla Soldier figures. Seemed a bit strange to me, but apparently this FYE store only honors 50% off clearance prices on items that are specifically marked as such. I found their other POTA stock in boxes under the clearance table, but none of that stock was marked with the 50% off clearance price and I was informed by the clerk that only items marked with the telltale FYE clearance price -- that is, a price with ".88" in the cents -- actually get that price. I guess I will have to wait to pick up the Zaius and Ursus figures still in the boxes beneath the clearance table, since the clerk said that he was not in charge of tagging clearance merchandise.

Reaction score
Picked up two more Gorilla Soldiers today at a local collectibles shop. You can never have enough soldiers from this amazing line. I really miss these figures, such a shame NECA discontinued them.

Reaction score
Saw War for the Planet of the Apes. So awesome!!! Sad NECA isn't doing anything. Some potential there for new apes and humans. Understand that sales has to support it.

May have to customize some apes from the last NECA figures and maybe some McFarlane Military guys would make for a good diorama. Highly recommend seeing the movie.

Reaction score
I really wish they'd've made a Rocket figure, and I wish I'd gotten Luca or NECA had made a Buck from Rise. I rewatched the first two before War came out, and they have that awesome hero shot of Caesar on the streetcar with Maurice, Rocket, and Buck, and I am so sad I can't recreate that shot.

As for War, I thought it was amazing, very rarely does a movie trilogy keep up such a consistently strong quality. Best visual effects I have ever seen in a movie, and Andy Serkis needs to be nominated for Best Actor this year. Can't wait to see it again.

Reaction score
I really wish they'd've made a Rocket figure, and I wish I'd gotten Luca or NECA had made a Buck from Rise. I rewatched the first two before War came out, and they have that awesome hero shot of Caesar on the streetcar with Maurice, Rocket, and Buck, and I am so sad I can't recreate that shot.

This was my recreation back in the day. Actually looked for a scale streetcar/bus on Ebay but they were all vintage and too expensive. This was before Luca came out though I have the Safari Ltd Silverback Gorilla in there which matches up nicely. May have to redo this scene. Sorry for lack of posted photos - trying to find a good replacement for Photobucket.

http://gijigsaw.blogspot.com/2014/06/getting-ready-for-dawn.html

Reaction score
After seeing War this weekend it just made me wish NECA would've been able to continue the line to make figures for it. I would've liked them to have made Bad Ape, Winter, Lake and the Colonel.
I dug through storage and finally opened up S1 & S2 Koba and S1 Caesar to go with S2 Caesar, Luca and Maurice which I already had out on display. Apes together strong!

Reaction score
Was Donkey more brown than Luca though? If not, he would've been a straight repack basically

Reaction score
Didn't think Luca was brown. I would say Donkey was more a rust/copper color. Definitely lighter than Luca.

Reaction score
I'm disappointed that War for the POTA doesn't have any figures, either. I missed the Luca Gorilla figure from Dawn of the POTA several years back, and it would have been nice if NECA (or another toy company) had picked up the ball & come out with figures for War, which could have included figures from the previous films as well.

However, as has been discussed on this thread in the past, Dawn figures didn't sell well - so I understand why NECA (or another company) didn't want to pursue the line.

That being said, it would be nice if another toy company would pick up this license & make new figures from all three new POTA films sometime down the road, but I won't be holding my breath.

I actually strongly prefer the new POTA films to the original 1968-1973 films, but it seems that the figures/toys from the originals were better sellers at retail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just saw War for the POTA for the first time. Excellent film, and, to add to my last post, it's a shame no action figures were made based on this specific film. At the least, I would have wanted to see:

Winter - the white/albino ape

The Donkey Red Ape (the Gorilla who worked for the humans)

The Colonel (Woody Harrelson)

In fact, I would have to say that War is the best Apes film out of all of them (including the originals), and as such really deserves figures just as much - if not more than - the previous two films. Too bad we'll probably never see any from War.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Planet of the Apes Series-1 7" Gorilla figure which has lost the hook which the billy cub hangs on and it attaches to the brown leather harness. It is about 1/2" long with the hook at one end and three silver rivets at the other end.
Is there a possibility I might get one from NECA?.......If so, how do I contact NECA?

Attachments

Reaction score
jedisquared is right about them being out of production for years BUT... NECA (Randy) is very active on Twitter (not sure if he still is now, been a while since I checked) he is helpful and can point you in the right directed and even if he can't help someone might see your question and be able to help. I believe NECA has online customer support via email on their site

Reaction score
Randy is definitely on less since the pandemic. I just don’t think there is a chance to get replacement parts for a piece that old. Maybe try ebay.

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for your information. I've had the Gorilla figure for a long time, so I figured a replacement hook/strap would be hard to find. I'm not on Twitter, so is there a way I can email Randy directly?

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for your information. I've had the Gorilla figure for a long time, so I figured a replacement hook/strap would be hard to find. I'm not on Twitter, so is there a way I can email Randy directly?
No, none that I’m aware of. He’s only on Twitter. Your best bet is to try to find another gorilla soldier loose for a decent price if it means that much to you. Or go to Home Depot and find a cheap way to make another hook/strap.

Reaction score
just google neca customer service

Reaction score
It's been two weeks since NECA confirmed they received my email, but I got no reply to the email itself, so I assume they don't have a replacement.
I'll see if I can make a crude replacement myself.
Thanks again for the info.

Two more questions:

1. Will the NECA Alien Brett figure (Harry Dean Stanton) be sold individually or in a set with another figure?
2. Is Target or what other dealers going to carry the Brett figure?

Reaction score
They are sold individually. I ordered mine from Big Bad Toy Store. Entertainment Earth is selling wave 2 as a group. Not sure whether Target is carrying them. On occasion, I’ve found NECA in Walmart electronics dept. as well.

Last edited: