NECA - Planet Of The Apes - Classic & Modern!

Reaction score
The classic series has been one of my favourite action figure lines ever (I've also bought all the Dawn figures, which are great as well), so I'm keen to keep supporting the line, plus I'll be gutted if I can't complete my collection. But it's looking very unlikely they'll be released in the UK, and necaclub.com won't ship outside of the USA. If someone was to be kind enough to order them on my behalf, then ship them on, how much would they cost with US shipping? The best deal I've found so far on ebay is $110, but that's before shipping and customs fees. That's a LOT of money for 3 figures - especially with the risk of easily broken legs!!

Reaction score
II would gladly get you one if available separately...but I don't think many collectors are gonna break up that set. Doesn't NECA ship overseas?[/QUOTE

My only hope is that there are folks out there that really want to army build the conquest figures, and the fact that they can buy a set knowing that they can count on $25 towards their purchase from me for the spare Aldo might just swing it. at least that's what I'm hoping against hope.......

Reaction score
I don't believe that stores wanted all Caesar and Koba. NECA says these things but I don't necessarily swallow that. Look how quick Luca disappeared! Same with Prometheus, I don't get how they maintain the line sold so abysmally when everything but the 2pack seemed to sell pretty well around here (Pressure Suit warmed a bit but even those found homes eventually). I think a large part of what killed Prometheus was the 3rd wave which was two repaints no one wanted.

And yeah, they did have two lines each but TRIED to plan a bunch in advance for Classic. So us Modern fans never get a Blue Eyes, Rocket, etc.

And how many stupid screaming shotgun Caesars are still laying around? Less than Dr. Zaius', but still quite a few.

Again, not trying to say one franchise is better than the other, I just wish they would have given modern a decent chance instead of just really 1.5 waves (I call the second one a half because there was only really one new figure).
Agree 200%!!!! It's nice to see some other fans of the modern POTA figures on this board. I have respect for those those who collect the classic line, but have 0 interest in those figures.

I also don't understand why NECA or anyone else would say/think that the modern POTA figures didn't sell well. Bull! As I stated earlier, Wave 1 of the NECA DOTPOTA line sold out at my TRU last summer. I barely saw Wave 2 this past Spring, and never saw Koba Wave 2 or my most highly wanted figure of the entire line, Luca. I also saw very few of Caesar Wave 2. It's this type of attitude that resulted in Wave 2 being under-produced and HTF...

Feel the same way for the Prometheus figures from several years ago. Those also sold out @ my local TRU, and I can't understand why anyone would say or think that this line hadn't done well either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was a fan of the Dawn line but you have to remember that offering up personal stories of what you saw in stores in just anecdotal evidence. Depending on any of the four area TRU's I would frequent would either have Caesar or Koba peg warming or have nothing at all. NECA is the one with the actual numbers. I've been following Randy on Twitter for a long time and have found him to be exceptionally honest about everything NECA does and have never come across an outright lie or even misdirection. His candidness is rare in an industry known for ignoring or misleading its consumers. I believe Randy when he says the line didn't sell well enough. What would NECA benefit from lying about it? Also, one main point that I had seen brought up both by Randy and others online, after all the main characters got figures, what/who else is there to do/make? So even though you want Rocket and Cornelia, they were minor players in the movie and after a while you are just doing slight variations on a basic chimpanzee figure. Feel fortunate that we even got Luca figure as he was a very minor character in the film.
Also remember that NECA isn't big like Hasbro or Mattel, they are small and very niche. As I brought up ages ago, a buddy of mine who works at TRU described to me the process which TRU sells NECA product which is basically consignment. If Pacific Rim, Batman, Predator, etc. figures are outselling Dawn figures, it's not smart or prudent for TRU to order more to clog up pegs nor does it make sense for NECA to produce and ship more.

Reaction score
I just picked up the Caesar/Gorilla Soldier/Aldo trio at Toys R Us. All the price scanners were down so I had to get in line for a price check. Yes, it was more than I wanted to spend on it, but how excited I was when I saw the set (I'd forgotten it was even a thing) made me okay with it.

Question for anyone who has opened theirs/people who have bought more modern NECA stuff than I have: Caesar's chains- Is the one around his neck removable? It feels kinda like his head can be popped off but I can't be certain. And how are the hand chains supposed to work? As in do the two plastic ends just kinda sandwich together for like a double handcuff or should each individual side be able to fold over?

Reaction score
You're lucky you found it, my friend. The stores that are getting it in are only getting a case of two. The dept. head at my TRU said it was one of the highest ticket items he ever saw in the Collector Vector section...and the one I left was gone 20 minutes later. I never saw Neca's Gollum or Aliens Queen at this store so it was lucky I was there right as the UPS guy walked in.

Reaction score
I was a fan of the Dawn line but you have to remember that offering up personal stories of what you saw in stores in just anecdotal evidence. Depending on any of the four area TRU's I would frequent would either have Caesar or Koba peg warming or have nothing at all. NECA is the one with the actual numbers. I've been following Randy on Twitter for a long time and have found him to be exceptionally honest about everything NECA does and have never come across an outright lie or even misdirection. His candidness is rare in an industry known for ignoring or misleading its consumers. I believe Randy when he says the line didn't sell well enough. What would NECA benefit from lying about it? Also, one main point that I had seen brought up both by Randy and others online, after all the main characters got figures, what/who else is there to do/make? So even though you want Rocket and Cornelia, they were minor players in the movie and after a while you are just doing slight variations on a basic chimpanzee figure. Feel fortunate that we even got Luca figure as he was a very minor character in the film
OK - I see what you're saying. I guess I was just frustrated in my last post re: not finding more of the 2nd Wave Dawn figures. Luca is now up to $49.99 + $5.00 shipping on Amazon now, and will just keep going up. I wasn't going to buy the figure for $30, so won't be buying it now.

I guess I should be glad that I could find at least some of the DOTPOTA figures (first wave, and Caesar from the 2nd wave)...

Reaction score
Did you try goHastings for Luca?
Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked on this, and the figure is out of stock. However, it's good to know it was being sold at a lower price. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll get any more in.

This is 100% my fault, however - I should have ordered it earlier - IIRC, someone mentioned gohastings in an earlier post.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked on this, and the figure is out of stock. However, it's good to know it was being sold at a lower price. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll get any more in.

This is 100% my fault, however - I should have ordered it earlier - IIRC, someone mentioned gohastings in an earlier post.
Indeed I did, and when I posted it, Luca was still showing as in stock. That sucks, you must have just missed him. Also worth mentioning, my Hastings here in Central TX has the SDCC POTA figures in store, however, they refuse to sell them. I was told that since SDCC is over, they can no longer sell the item, yet they can sell them online. When I told the employee that worked in that section, he said that it was impossible for them to even sell online, and when I pulled it up on my phone, he acted as though what I was showing him was a figment of my own imagination. I just don't get it, fortunately I ordered a set during NECA's flash sale, but I'd really like to pick up a second Conquest gorilla.

Reaction score

I also procrastinated when Gamestop had him for $18.99. Ended up finding him on ToyWiz for $24.99. They still have him but it's $39.99 now. They also have a set of series 2 for preorder for $56.99
Other than that the cheapest on ebay had him for $39.99 OBO. As far as retail stores I have heard that FYE and Books A Million may still carry Apes figures, if you have either of those in your area.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I doubt I'll get Luca at this point, but it's good to know I have options. You snooze, you lose - especially when it comes to HTF toys like this.

I don't have FYE or Books a Million in my area, unfortunately.

Reaction score
I'm sure you will come across one at some point. You never know.
Thanks - we'll see. However, unless Luca somehow finds his way to a discount retailer like Ross, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, etc. (extremely unlikely, since I've never seen any NECA figures there), I doubt I'll get this.

I typically will order toys from Amazon due to their free shipping (over $35), ease of service, etc. However, when I considered ordering Luca from Amazon earlier this year it was through a third-party seller, so the shipping cost was a requirement. Plus, it was somewhat pricey anyway; I think the lowest I saw this was $35/$40+ $5.00 shipping + tax. I just didn't want to spend that much $ on one figure, no matter how cool it was & how much I wanted this.

In any case, too bad both the modern Dawn line as well as the Classic line are ending. Though I never collected the Classic line, I know a lot like these figures. Plus, if the Classic line had continued there was always the chance NECA would throw in 1-2 new Modern line figures (from either Dawn or Rise) as a bone to those fans like me who weren't really into the Classic line. However, now that the Classic line is over, the chance of us getting any more modern figures went from extremely unlikely to 0.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
My LCS has several Luca's. I'd be happy to grab one for whoever wants one, but I don't think it'd be cheap. I'm in the UK so at the current rate of £19.99 per figure over here, they would be about $31.50 ea.with whatever the postage to the US would be on top. but if anyone is REALLY desperate I'm happy to help out.

Reaction score
Thanks - we'll see. However, unless Luca somehow finds his way to a discount retailer like Ross, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, etc. (extremely unlikely, since I've never seen any NECA figures there), I doubt I'll get this.

I typically will order toys from Amazon due to their free shipping (over $35), ease of service, etc. However, when I considered ordering Luca from Amazon earlier this year it was through a third-party seller, so the shipping cost was a requirement. Plus, it was somewhat pricey anyway; I think the lowest I saw this was $35/$40+ $5.00 shipping + tax. I just didn't want to spend that much $ on one figure, no matter how cool it was & how much I wanted this.

In any case, too bad both the modern Dawn line as well as the Classic line are ending. Though I never collected the Classic line, I know a lot like these figures. Plus, if the Classic line had continued there was always the chance NECA would throw in 1-2 new Modern line figures (from either Dawn or Rise) as a bone to those fans like me who weren't really into the Classic line. However, now that the Classic line is over, the chance of us getting any more modern figures went from extremely unlikely to 0.....
Yeah, I really doubt they'll hit any discounters. NECA stuff rarely makes it there. The only ones I've ever seen hit TJM/Marshalls were the last few waves of their Pirates of the Caribbean line (I picked up a ton when they went to super low clearance of like $3 each) and a few of their older Nightmare Before Christmas figures showed up at 5 Below years ago.

That Luca figure is so nice, they should just re-release him as a generic gorilla. They could even repurpose him as King Kong, he looks cool with their Godzilla figures. I wanted to get a few more- one to be Kong, one to customize into Gorilla Grodd (I never got the Mattel BAF), one to repaint as an albino, etc.

Reaction score
That Luca figure is so nice, they should just re-release him as a generic gorilla. They could even repurpose him as King Kong, he looks cool with their Godzilla figures. I wanted to get a few more- one to be Kong, one to customize into Gorilla Grodd (I never got the Mattel BAF), one to repaint as an albino, etc.
Yes - I would like to see this as well. Since I missed Luca, I've been looking for generic gorilla toys that could serve as a replacement, but haven't been able to find any. However, if Luca were ever released as a generic gorilla - or if I could find a generic gorilla figure that was of similar quality as the Luca toy - I would get 2-3; there was more than one gorilla in Dawn, and all of them looked fairly similar...

Reaction score
Yes - I would like to see this as well. Since I missed Luca, I've been looking for generic gorilla toys that could serve as a replacement, but haven't been able to find any. However, if Luca were ever released as a generic gorilla - or if I could find a generic gorilla figure that was of similar quality as the Luca toy - I would get 2-3; there was more than one gorilla in Dawn, and all of them looked fairly similar...
I found a "Silverback Gorilla", no articulation at AC Moore art and craft shop. They are exactly like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Not sure of the manufacturer but many of them carry these animal toys. The size was perfect for the Dawn series.

He is sitting on the right side of the photo. Front row.

G.I. Jigsaw: Getting Ready for the Dawn

Reaction score
I found a "Silverback Gorilla", no articulation at AC Moore art and craft shop. They are exactly like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Not sure of the manufacturer but many of them carry these animal toys. The size was perfect for the Dawn series.

He is sitting on the right side of the photo. Front row.

G.I. Jigsaw: Getting Ready for the Dawn
Thanks! There is a Michael's near me, but not sure about the other two stores. Not bothered by the lack of articulation, as long as it looks cool - which it does.

Reaction score
Found a wave 1 and wave 2 Koba at TRU last night. Just a weird, random find and I didn't have either of them yet so I picked them up especially since they were BOGO 50% off. Just need to grab wave 1 Caesar, which I still occasionally see, and I'll have all of the modern apes.

Reaction score
You think there's a small chance NECA will do figures for the 3rd film in 2017?

Reaction score
You think there's a small chance NECA will do figures for the 3rd film in 2017?
Good question - since the two modern POTA lines didn't seem to do well @ retail (according to everything I've read on this thread), your guess is as good as mine. I definitely think NECA did a superb job with the modern Dawn figures they came out with in 2014 & 2015, but am not sure they'd want to take a chance on the modern franchise again at this point.

Since I haven't had any luck finding Luca & don't want to pay secondary market prices for this figure, I do hope the Gorillas show up in the next film & that NECA makes the figures - that will probably be the only way I can get a Luca - or at least a Luca-like figure!

Reaction score
Randy has not given and outright "no" but his comments veer more to the highly unlikely side. Also to keep in mind, we don't know how long and what their license covered. It could possibly not cover the next film or could expire before then even if NECA did want to tackle it again.
I am going to go ahead and guess it's a no though. Randy said that the line just didn't sell well. Classic did better than modern. Randy also said that with the modern line, beyond the accessories, they were limited on what they could do as they were basically figures of plain apes. I would love to be wrong but I just don't see the line coming back.

Reaction score
Randy has not given and outright "no" but his comments veer more to the highly unlikely side. Also to keep in mind, we don't know how long and what their license covered. It could possibly not cover the next film or could expire before then even if NECA did want to tackle it again.
I am going to go ahead and guess it's a no though. Randy said that the line just didn't sell well. Classic did better than modern. Randy also said that with the modern line, beyond the accessories, they were limited on what they could do as they were basically figures of plain apes. I would love to be wrong but I just don't see the line coming back.
I'm sure you're probably right. No surprise there. It's too bad that the second wave of Dawn figures was so limited, and it's even more unfortunate that there was never a dedicated line of figures devoted to Rise of the POTA. That first film was great, and I think that there could definitely have been at least 1 wave of figures from that film (i.e. Caesar, the Gorilla, etc.)

Here's hoping we do see figures from the third POTA film, but I'm not counting on this. Plus, I don't see a company other than NECA doing figures from these films any justice. McFarlane toys is alright, but those figures break too easily (or at least the early ones did).

That being said, 2017 is two years away so who knows what will happen between now & then. Another company may step up to the plate and produce a line of great figures for the film - especially if the film takes place in the far future & the Apes are wearing clothes/uniforms etc. by that era. If that's the case, the characters may look more "interesting", which may result in a toy company more willing to take a chance on them. Time will tell...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did think about the next movie the apes having more clothes and accessories but with how poorly the line did I just don't see a return by Neca. I also doubt someone else will step up. Through following Randy on Twitter he says that all of the toy companies do pay attention to what sells/works for other companies.
I am just glad that I was able to find Luca before prices went up even more. As recently as a month ago I was still able to see both S1 and S2 Caesar and Koba at TRU. I don't know where you are geographically but if you have FYE or Books A Million stores in your area those may still be worth a check.

Reaction score
FYI - Randy said yesterday that NECA doesn't have the license for War for the Planet of the Apes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think NECA would do any figures for War of the POTA, but it's nice to know for sure. And, unless another company steps up to the plate between now & the film's release in 2017, we won't see any figures for the film. Oh well. We never got a line of figures for Rise of the POTA, either.

Reaction score
Weird seeing that behind-the-scenes video on War during Walking Dead...especially the 2017 release date.
Which scene of TWD was this in?! It sounds like this was during the last episode, right?! I'd like to go back & look for this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think NECA would do any figures for War of the POTA, but it's nice to know for sure. And, unless another company steps up to the plate between now & the film's release in 2017, we won't see any figures for the film. Oh well. We never got a line of figures for Rise of the POTA, either.
He just said they don't have it, not that someone else does or that they won't bid on it. I am betting they are waiting to see what character designs look like before making a decision or they just may pass all together since the last lines didn't sell.

Reaction score
He just said they don't have it, not that someone else does or that they won't bid on it. I am betting they are waiting to see what character designs look like before making a decision or they just may pass all together since the last lines didn't sell.
Thanks for the info. However, it doesn't sound like they'll be a toy line for War. If these New Apes movie figures didn't sell well in the past, I doubt any company (either NECA or someone else) would want to take a chance on the franchise.

That's probably why there was no toy line at all for Rise back in 2011. This was a huge, big budget sci-fi summer film, and was the only big sci-fi film that summer without a toy line. However, I'm guessing much of this was because the Tim Burton POTA toy tie-ins (which came out in 2001) probably bombed (I remember seeing a lot of them on clearance shelves), so toy companies didn't want to take a chance...

Reaction score